shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
elaila--
I hope this isn''t a competition about who can tough it out the most!
2.gif
It''s just that I believe that babywearing will be really good for the entire family and most likely a better fit with our lifestyle. Both our parents raised us in this way, and as qtiekiki points out, strollers are seen as conveniences, not necessities, for many different people depending on their situation. Of course you''re right to point out that if the baby doesn''t like the various slings and carriers that I try, then a stroller is a great option. I also believe that not all slings and carriers are the right fit for a baby, so I''m hoping to get as much advice and product reviews as possible, either on PS or elsewhere. I am committed to babywearing, but I''ve always been open to options. I have friends who have gone stroller-less for the first 6 months without a problem, but every parent-baby is different, so I wouldn''t presume to know how every baby will react to either carrier or stroller.

Tgal--
Thanks for your review of the Ergo in warm weather. I tried one on during a baby shower and was thinking that it might not be best for the summer. Also, I''ve read that it doesn''t work as well on shorter torsos. Have you tried any slings that are more comfortable in high temps (and high humidity)?

Qtiekiki--
My mom used two different carriers with me, a soft padded front carrier that she bought in the States, and a podaegi (similar to a mei tai, i think). I''m somewhat intimidated by all the wrapping and tying, but I guess I won''t know if it''s right for us until we try it.

General questions about strollers v. carriers in the city:
As someone who is constantly going up and down stairs, do you think it would be easier to get groceries (3-4 bags) with the baby in a carrier and the bags in a folding cart or with the baby in a stroller with bags clipped onto the handle. How is the baby carried while you''re bringing the groceries and stroller up in multiple trips? Is this an easier option than keeping the baby in a carrier and bringing up the bags at the same time? I''m just wondering about the logistics since I don''t have any experience in handling a possibly squirmy unhappy baby (in stroller or carrier, or otherwise) and groceries.

As for strollers and groceries, how do the super lightweight strollers fare with grocery bags? How many bags can you feasibly carry with the stroller? I usually carry 3-4 bags at a time. Are there certain strollers that work better for this type of errand?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ericak, are you korean? I only ask because you mention the podaegi.

And speaking of podaegi, my friend just got the ergo, and her Korean family said she should not keep her son in it that long because it can cause him to go bowlegged. They said that is why so many Koreans are bowlegged...because of the podaegi. Now, I am not sure if this is true...it seems to me that the carrier wouldn''t cause bowleggedness because it doesn''t put pressure on the legs, but that is what she told me.

I have not tried anything else but the ergo. I have a short torso and have had no problems with it, but I didn''t try the Beco, which I hear is better for shorter people. Have you seen the babywearer board? There is a whole forum dedicated to it. I have not read it myself since I am not a hard core baby wearer, but thought it was interesting that many people adopt it as their lifestyle with no problems.

I chose the ergo because I have really bad back problems. I did find it comfy.

As to your question as far as groceries...if your baby likes the carrier, I think it would be easier to carry the baby on you and bring the groceries up by hand. I LOVED it when I was able to carry Amelia. I love my BOB stroller and all, but you don''t have to worry about sidewalk curbs, stairs/ramps etc when you wear your baby...not to mention it often helps with preventing flat head (this was an issue because of Amelia''s torticollis and part of the reason why I attempted to carry her everywhere). If it weren''t summer, I''d be carrying her all over the place. Especially at places like Costco where it would free my hands up and I could use their big shopping cart.

There are definitely benefits to babywearing. As there are benefits to a stroller. That''s why I have it ALL in my arsenal! (I have a BOB, a snap and go, a Maclaren, and my ergo. I''m set!)
1.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
erica, I am the LEAST confrontational person I know, so I have no clue why I was unable to convey myself properly in this thread w/o sending like a megab!tch -- I apologize! We do use our Mobys and Baby Bjorns (as well as backpack carriers) when we go out to certain places, so like I said, I''m all for babywearing. I think it was just the 25-30-lb comment that made me be like, "Whoa!!" because I really think that''s impossible. (OK, I know in my twins forum there''s an emoticon for beating a dead horse ... gimme a minute ... )

gallery_25881_207_341.gif

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
(Sorry, I know that emoticon is kinda yucky!)

And by the way, TGal, carrying a baby in a place like Costco or BJ''s is HARD!! If someone can go with you and lift things for you, then it''s great, but if you''re by yourself, then beware it''s very very hard to lift big, heavy boxes of things and get them into your cart when you can''t bring them to your chest for leverage. I learned this the hard way. Even things like the boxes of baby wipes, which aren''t that big, are awkward when you''re holding a baby. Just FYI.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
erica, I think also this is not the appropriate thread to talk about *you* not wanting baby stuff. That''s the whole POINT of this thread! I hope everything works into your lifestyle and design sensibilities. DD let me know she is the boss before she was even born.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 6:29:43 PM
Author: ellaila
(Sorry, I know that emoticon is kinda yucky!)

And by the way, TGal, carrying a baby in a place like Costco or BJ''s is HARD!! If someone can go with you and lift things for you, then it''s great, but if you''re by yourself, then beware it''s very very hard to lift big, heavy boxes of things and get them into your cart when you can''t bring them to your chest for leverage. I learned this the hard way. Even things like the boxes of baby wipes, which aren''t that big, are awkward when you''re holding a baby. Just FYI.
Bahahaha....so true! Yes, I already know that...I can''t even bend down and tie my shoe with her on...so I wear slip ons! I should mention I just go to Costco for fruit, veg, meat a lot (and of course I''d take TGuy with me for bulky items), so it''s more grocery shopping than anything which is doable with the ergo. By the time I got to the car, I''d unload her first before unloading the groceries.

Still, the BEST thing for grocery shopping right now is my snap and go. I always buy only a little at a time since I live so near the market, so I LOVE the big basket and do all my shopping in it!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 5:03:39 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 6/26/2008 4:25:04 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Tacori, that''s hilarious that she loves the mirror!

BTW where did you and Eph get your criibs from? They are really purdy...

I got mine through USA Baby. I think she got her crib from Buy Buy Baby (not sure though!) You can look up a store locater on their website here. They have so many different styles but I do think the Urban is more modern/cleaner lines. Mine is espresso, she chose white, and it also comes in a cherry finish.

Yes, she just stares at herself and giggles. Already vain!
Tacori, you are the best with remembering stuff!! We did get ours in white (it''ll be in our living area, where we already have all dark wood, so we wanted white to set it apart a bit). We are huge Buy Buy Baby fans, but we actually ended up getting the furniture from a local independent baby store (in Delaware, so no tax). I am so excited for it to get here, but I know it''ll be a while, so I keep trying to put it out of my mind.

And Pave, haven''t done a trial run outside with the stroller yet... although I''m tempted! I laughed out loud at the bags of sugar idea... that is so something I would think of. We were home visiting my family this weekend and I actually thought about bringing the stroller home with us so I could push it around the backyard there... but I refrained. I do have it set up in the dining room currently and push it around a little every day.
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
eph, ours came it really fast. Faster than they said it would so there is hope. I have a scary good memory *sometimes*.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
TGal--
Yes, I''m Korean American. My mom used the podaegi, although she also fretted constantly that it would make me bowlegged (which didn''t happen).

I need to take a look at this snap ''n go. It sounds like it might be a good option for groceries.

Elaila--
25-30 pounds is a number I threw out because I have a friend who did this. I won''t know my limit until I near closer to it. But the longer I can carry the baby, the better. That''s why it''s so important for me to know about as many different carriers as possible (and super light strollers for terrible sidewalks and neverending stairs). And you''re very right to point out that heavy lifting will be dangerous with a baby attached to you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 8:14:27 AM
Author: erica k
TGal--

Yes, I'm Korean American. My mom used the podaegi, although she also fretted constantly that it would make me bowlegged (which didn't happen).

I need to take a look at this snap 'n go. It sounds like it might be a good option for groceries.

Elaila--

25-30 pounds is a number I threw out because I have a friend who did this. I won't know my limit until I near closer to it. But the longer I can carry the baby, the better. That's why it's so important for me to know about as many different carriers as possible (and super light strollers for terrible sidewalks and neverending stairs). And you're very right to point out that heavy lifting will be dangerous with a baby attached to you.

Erica: The Snap and Go is wonderful for the early months as the entire premise of it is that the baby's car seat snaps right into it. From my endless stroller researching, if you aren't afraid of the pricetags, Maclaren is the way to go with lightweight strollers for after the SNG or for all day strolling. They make one called the Volo I think that is SUPER lightweight. We got a Maclaren for the twins because almost ALL of my friends have one and love it. But they aren't a $30 umbrella stroller...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am STILL using my babytrend SNG! (she is almost 8 months) I love it! There is a basket underneath. So light and small.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
NF--
Thanks for the suggestions. The Maclaren Volo is apparently only 8.5 pounds, so it looks like it''ll be an excellent candidate for when the baby can sit upright. I don''t think the price is too bad, as long as it''s well made and will last us a really long time.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I can vouch for the Maclaren Volo. It is our lightweight/traveling stroller and it''s great. It folds up really easily, is super light and durable. Highly recommend...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 10:31:51 AM
NF--

Thanks for the suggestions. The Maclaren Volo is apparently only 8.5 pounds, so it looks like it'll be an excellent candidate for when the baby can sit upright. I don't think the price is too bad, as long as it's well made and will last us a really long time.

I agree...many moms say they bought 3-4 cheap strollers and then FINALLY spent the $ on the maclaren and won't go back. So I figured, why waste the $ in the first place trying cheaper alternatives if everyone loves the darn maclarens?

We got this one. I LOVE it. So easy, I can't wait to use it with the babes. I've "borrowed" kids to use it in, but none have been the same age:

220696_sku.jpg

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
NF-
Your stroller looks adorable! Maybe because my brain has become warped because of all those Bugaboos and $600+ strollers out there, but the Maclaren sure looks like a stylish bargain to me.

Does anyone have a jogging stroller that they really love? In my ideal world, I would use the same lightweight stroller for jogging and walking.

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
NF, that is one supercute stroller! We still use our double S&G sometimes, but more often than not I find I''m using our BOB Duallie. It just pushes and steers like a dream, compared to the S&G, which is like driving a bus! (As someone once commented to me, "That thing has the turning radius of a 747.") I think I''m going to try to find one or two used Maclarens for our single strollers though - I''ve only heard great things about them!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
erica, it sounds like you have an urban life? A snap and go is used in conjunction with a carseat, so if you don''t need a carseat, I don''t think you''ll need a SNG.

Also, I would look into the Maclaren Quest. If you need it for early on (and are not using a car much), I think the recline would be necessary for the little ones (and even then it does not have a full recline so I would recommend using a snuzzler in it). The Quest also has an extendable footrest which is handy young babies. I got mine used on craigslist for $100, but I think I got lucky as I rarely see Quests for sale and usually they are older and more expensive. Mine is below...

Oh, and jogging stroller? I love my BOB. Expensive, but worth every penny...they are just so well made and steer like a dream. I have pushed other cheaper models, but for something like walking/jogging, I really believe it is better to have a high quality stroller. Just ask lisa whose jeep stroller fell apart at the zoo!

Neatfreak, cute Maclaren. I like that one a lot!

maclarenmossbubbles.jpg

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori--
The Baby Trend snap and go looks like it''ll work really well for groceries. Thanks for the suggestion.

TGal--
I live in the city, but we also have a car for long trips. So, we''ll definitely have to get a car seat (not sure which one yet, still figuring it out). So with a snuzzler and a Quest, it should be fine for an infant?

I think the BOB looks great, and if it allows me to go jogging more frequently, then it''ll be worth it. The sidewalks here are so awful: cracked concrete, sunken brick paving, exposed tree roots, potholes, icy in the winter, it''s a real obstacle course.

As long as I can keep the total amount spent on strollers under $1000, I think I''ll be ok, especially since I''ll end up with a few carriers, too. My mom saved the carrier that she used with me. I''ll have to check the buckles and snaps for safety, but it''s really sweet that she saved it for my children.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
erica, I am really happy with our Chicco car seat and I like the fabric choices. Baby Trend is cheap...I think $50. I can carry it VERY easily folded with one hand. I use it everyday. You won''t be able to jog with a baby until 6 months.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
BOB has some really cool videos of their strollers in action: http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/index.php Click on the top right window where it says, "Explore the BOB world".

Sold me, and I am not a big jogger
3.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d share some of our purchases so far...

Like many of the ladies here, I love the Maclaren (for travel/ease/lightweight) and plan on picking one up once the baby''s a few months! Good to hear the Volvo is recommended! For starters though, we went with the Bugaboo Frog (thanks curly!). We got the car seat adaptor for it and registered for the Graco Snug Ride.

For crib, we went with Baby Italia in Natural. So many of you ladies thought the dark pine was nicer (which we did as well), but in person, it didn''t look as clean as the natural. Bedding we chose a Pottery Barn Kids pattern in light pink and green which I love!

Glider: we went with Shermag from Target, nice price/size and some solid reviews.

The rest we''ll purchase once we see what goodies the shower brings!

I have one question--it''s not a major item at all, but any thoughts on grooming pieces from BTDT moms (nail clippers, hair brush)? I registered for a Safety 1st kit, but not sure if anyone has feedback.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 10:31:51 AM
NF--
Thanks for the suggestions. The Maclaren Volo is apparently only 8.5 pounds, so it looks like it''ll be an excellent candidate for when the baby can sit upright. I don''t think the price is too bad, as long as it''s well made and will last us a really long time.
The Maclaren has a great reputation. When I am ready for that type of stroller, I will either get the Volo or the UPPAbaby G-Lite, which has shocks, steers well and weighs 8.3 pounds w/o accessories or 8.8 with a sun canopy. It retails for $100, but I found it online for $80:
http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-28/uppababy-GLite-g-lite/Detail

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not like those kits. We have one and I think the only I use are the nail clippers and the hair brush.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks tacori--this kit comes with Comb, Brush, Nail clipper (scissor and clipper) and emory boards. I figured i might get use out of those IF they were decent quality (hoping Safety 1st is). The bigger kits I had no interest in with the mediciine drip, nasal aspirator and various other items that I doubt i''d use out of a kit at least.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have red cross''s clippers and brush. I like them. It would have been cheaper just to buy THOSE items than the kit. The nasal thing the hospital will give you. The pharmacy will give you a med. dropper.

erica k

Brilliant_Rock
DD--
I''m pretty much sold on the BOB for jogging and everyday activities. Those videos are really great! The best part is when the mom plows right through the snow (although sans baby). I love jogging in the winter, and hopefully the baby will be able to join me for wintry walks/jogs, too.

It looks like you can get a car seat adapter for it, too. I wonder if it would be feasible to only have this one stroller, or would it still make sense to buy a Snap and Go and/or Maclaren?

TGal--
Do you find the BOB to be too heavy for everyday use? I definitely like the idea of an under 10lb stroller, but I also love the idea of using just one stroller for everything. I guess I could always start with the BOB and see how it goes.

Tacori--
Will the Chicco work until we need a toddler booster seat, or will we need to buy another one after the first year or so?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
erica, I haven''t used my quest yet (I use the snap and go for quick errands and the BOB for longer walks), however I used the BOB with the snuzzler from week one and Amelia was fine. I think the Maclaren recline is similiar (the BOB is 70 degrees) so it should work. However, flat is best for a newborn if you are going to use the stroller a lot.

re: BOB for every day use. I''d say a big NO to that. That was my initial thought as well, but it is heavy and bulky, and it also doesn''t snap shut (the velcro wrist strap holds it shut). It''d be a pain to get in and out of the car often for quick errands. Even if an urban mom were to use it (therefore leaving it unfolded most of the time), I find that a lot of restaurants, etc do not have a lot of room to accommodate this stroller. I used to walk to my doc''s office and there wasn''t much room in the waiting room for the BOB!

Divergrrl has the carseat adapter and is not a fan. The price is ridiculous for that little piece of metal (plus a snack tray which I doubt I''d use anyway). For the same price, you can get a snap and go and TRUST ME...it is WAY easier for quick errands. I use it big time now, but carry both in the car. As soon as she is too big for her carseat, I''m switching to the maclaren - although I may make that transition sooner.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
erica, if you are going up stairs stick with a light stroller! The car seat I have is the infant one so yes, I will use my britax after she is a year/20 lbs.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do these issues of maneuverability and versatility also apply to strollers like the Bugaboo and the UppaBaby? I wonder if those ones are more compact... I really like the idea of having a stroller I can use for everything (after the snap and go, which I beleive you is the best at the start).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2008 6:53:30 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Do these issues of maneuverability and versatility also apply to strollers like the Bugaboo and the UppaBaby? I wonder if those ones are more compact... I really like the idea of having a stroller I can use for everything (after the snap and go, which I beleive you is the best at the start).

IMO, yes. The bugaboo is adorable, but much much bigger than a stroller like a Maclaren or something. Just a different class of strollers IMO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results