shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that the koolcraft one? I love their ad where it shows all of the different configurations. Very cool! Narrow is not a bad thing if you go shopping a lot (those aisles are narrow). My neighbor with twins loves her BOB. I know Ella does too but it is pricey.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Penn, I saw that Graco out in the park today! I was tempted to stop and ask the mom how she likes it, but she wasn''t using it with infant seats... looked like older kids of differing ages. It did look nice though... definitely not big or bulky. You might want to try and track down a store that carries both and test them out... I am really big on reading ratings and reviews, but sometimes you get a feel for something in person that you wouldn''t get otherwise. Good luck!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey gals!

Wow, lots going on this thread. I thought I''d pop in and mention something about the hospital gift diaper bags...

I actually got all three of them...I had the online coupons for two (Enfamil and Nestle). I told the RN that I knew it was probably one per person but if I had the coupons could I get the two? She was totally nice and said she didn''t need the coupons and gave me both bags. When I checked out, they gave me the simulac bag (even though I told the RN I got the other two bags already, but for some reason this did not register with her!)

If you have to choose, here''s my scoop on the bags...

Similac...a "meh" bag. Just one big compartment and it''s supposed to double as a purse, so your man will not want to carry this bag. Kind of ugly actually, with black on black polka dots. But it''s light and I''ll probably give this to my mom. The best part about the bag is it comes with a separate little zippered capsule for formula with ice bags. I think this would be really handy as a snack capsule later on.

Enfamil...not much in the bag, but the bag itself is decent and a good freebee for your hubby (because TGuy did not want to carry my bright Ju Ju Be diaper bag!) It''s insulated and some different pockets. Here is the link to the coupon: http://www.enfamil.com/smartbag/

Nestle...not all hospitals have this bag, but I think it''s the best one! It''s a backpack, of sturdy fabric, comes with a changing pad, blanket, a book, separate pockets for your cell phone, etc. Also insulated. Coupon is at http://www.verybestbaby.com/SpecialOffers/Backpack.aspx

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Gee, I didn''t know having a baby involved free-bees. How cool is it that you leave the hospital with a baby to love for forever and free stuff?
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the free bag reviews.

DH''s co-worker says our hospital offers a choice of infant seat or umbrella stroller as the free gift.

Penn - I actually like the look of the Kolcraft more.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2008 4:14:28 PM
Author: ephemery1
Hehe... the conversation I just had online with my little brother regarding the lamb blanket purchase:

ME: i may or may not have just ordered this: [link to pic]
(long pause)
HIM: did you really order that
ME: yes i did
ME: it was marked down to $17
HIM: i see
(even longer pause)
HIM: what if its a boy
ME: then he will wear it proudly
HIM: i will take pictures and show them to him many years later... and he will resent you for making him wear that
ME: whatever... it''s going to be a girl anyway

It seems he may not wholly approve.........
31.gif
Ephemery,

If it is a boy, his wife will LOVE a picture of him dressed up with little ears some day!!
9.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
In the end, I ordered both of them because I couldn''t really make my mind up.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tried to check through to see if it's been posted already, so sorry if it has!!

Anyway, my new-mom friend has been RAVING about her Beaba Babycook (though I still say that "babycook" sounds like something to COOK your BABY
32.gif
). She's the type to cook full-on balanced meals (with only the finest quality ingredients) for the dog, so this appeals to her organic sensibilities I suppose.

She was showing it to me the other day along with a "cooking for baby" book. It's pretty cool. Just thought I'd share
bye1.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I posted a pic of T playing in her exersaucer but wanted to say how much we love ours! She seriously plays in it for hours a day. We have an evenflo one.

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread, thanks TGal!

I made my first baby purchase yesterday- a nappy bag!

The website is www.oioi.com.au and I got the Morrocan Midnight bag:

I actually got it BNWT at a huge discount from *cough* ebay. Now to look at strollers!

nappybag.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Golden. BPA has been an issue for awhile. I have found many safe alternatives and more are coming out monthly. When she was a newborn we used Medela and Born Free bottles. Now we use the Nuby 11 ozers (yes, she is a pig). All are safe as well as evenflo. Dr. Brown is coming out with a BPA free bottle in a few months.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, friend bought me this baby food processor and steamer from William Sonoma....looks so cool and perfect for our cramped apartment living. I had intended on making homemade baby food.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5279732/index.cfm?pkey=celtspt

She also got me the babyfood cookbook as well as some babyfood storage containers from Pottery Barn. All in all, a VERY cool gift!

img1m.jpg

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2008 11:59:01 AM
Author: musey
I tried to check through to see if it''s been posted already, so sorry if it has!!

Anyway, my new-mom friend has been RAVING about her Beaba Babycook (though I still say that ''babycook'' sounds like something to COOK your BABY
32.gif
). She''s the type to cook full-on balanced meals (with only the finest quality ingredients) for the dog, so this appeals to her organic sensibilities I suppose.

She was showing it to me the other day along with a ''cooking for baby'' book. It''s pretty cool. Just thought I''d share
bye1.gif
DOH! I see Musey beat me too it. Glad that someone likes it...I can''t wait to use it...although it will mean smellier poo...

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Tgal, that is a very cool gift. I''ve been looking at the Babycook, but don''t really have room on my counter for another appliance.

For those who have made homemade baby food, can I get away with just steaming fruit or veggies on the stove in a steamer basket and then using a blender or mini food processor? Can anyone recommend some good baby food cookbooks?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2008 4:02:12 PM
Author: Kay
Tgal, that is a very cool gift. I''ve been looking at the Babycook, but don''t really have room on my counter for another appliance.

For those who have made homemade baby food, can I get away with just steaming fruit or veggies on the stove in a steamer basket and then using a blender or mini food processor? Can anyone recommend some good baby food cookbooks?
My friend steams and uses a hand blender. Works great. The Babycook is just a cute appliance...we''ll see if it actually is worthwhile in a few months...

ellaila

Brilliant_Rock
Love the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium crib soother. We have one for each crib, and it really does soothe the babies when they're upset. They're just mesmerized by the moving creatures, the lights, the music, and the bubbles. Even I find it kinda relaxing
21.gif

Also, I mentioned in the preggo thread that I love the Sandra Boynton books - they're just so cute! Our favorite (and by "our" I mean my hubby's and mine) is Dinosaur's Binkit -- this one is just adorable and fun to read! Also have and like Snoozers, Hippos Go Berserk, and Blue Hat, Green Hat. I know I want more of her stuff too!

Other books we have and like are the Peekaboo series, Goodnight Moon , some cute Sesame Street books like So Big and Cookie Kisses, and singalong books like The Wheels on the Bus. Oh and I love the whole If You Give a Mouse a Cookie series of books, though really they're for kids older than mine are right now.

Baby stuff is just so fun!

ETA: The aquarium crib soother is *great* for tummy time too!! Just put the babies on their tummies facing it, and they totally lift their head to watch the fishies.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have the crib piano and that is good too (can't remember the name). She can kick the keys to play sounds or I can set it to play music for 15 mins. I often do this during nap time. She falls asleep during it (calms her). Older kids can put it on their lap to play with it.

ETA: BTW I am not sure if we have discussed the Bumbo but I LOVE it! It is perfect to teach her how to sit and a great first high chair. I have even used it for bath time. Makes washing the back of her head much easier.

Also I am loving my nuby bottles. BPA free, cute and inexpensive. I do use different nipples b/c the nuby ones are tough for the little ones. I just bought their bottle that had handles and she can feed herself with it and their sippy cups which she hasn't tried yet.

mrs-h-

Rough_Rock
We have a Bumbo for our DD and she sat in it for a few months on and off but soon learned how to escape from it as we were too scared to put it anywhere other than the floor, we did Baby led weaning with our DD so no purees normally, its just straight onto solids at 6 months but i couldnt get my head around the transition from milk to solid food so i just gave baby rice wtih some fruit and veggie purees mixed in, she loves the BLW and is so proud of herself for self feeding, she has more dexterity in her hands than her wee friends too because of it.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
mrsH, bumbos are meant to be used on the floor. I never leave my daughter in it unsupervised.

mrs-h-

Rough_Rock
Tacori - I know that but my DH didnt, when she was only just using it about 14 weeks old DH would put it on our dining table or coffee table and i lost count of how many times i told him off for it
29.gif
i was just so scared that she''d fall to the side or something and fall off the table, we have 2 very large dogs and i think he thought it would be safer to have her out of their way.

Have any of you thought about teaching your baby to read? we have some of the infant learning products and our 15 month old is learning from them and can read 2 words, we started showing her the dvd''s about 3 weeks ago and the started the books and flashcards just a few days ago, she is starting to say different words, i wondered if anyone has used it and what you think of it?

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
now that i''m looking into finally buying some baby items/registering--I read up on this whole thread...great suggestions!

I''m also wondering if some of you decided on strollers..ephemery1? qtiekiki?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
We are going to get the Quinny Buzz. Features are comparable to other strollers in the same price range. DH just really likes it, and tell people how cool it is (when his cousins ask us which stroller we are getting). And we have a thing for orange colored baby stuffs.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
does anyone have opinions on the uppa vista? not that i''m preggo yet, but a gal can still research
emembarrassed.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
The Uppa Baby Vista has similar features as the Quinny Buzz and other high-end strollers. With reversible, reclineable seat. It comes with the bassinet, which is great. We just found it more bulky. I think the seat needs to be removed before folding, so we didn''t like that. Personally we really didn''t like the colors they offer. I had read good things/reviews about the Uppa Baby Vista. Functionality-wise, I think it''s a good stroller, but just not our preferred choice.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 12:20:27 PM
Author: lovelylulu
does anyone have opinions on the uppa vista? not that i'm preggo yet, but a gal can still research
emembarrassed.gif
We actually just ordered the UppaBaby Vista!! It's true... I, the stroller-research queen, finally made a decision.
9.gif
I babysit for a little girl with the Quinny Buzz, and spent a lot of time testing/researching the Bugaboo Cameleon... but the Vista won out for me. Here's why:

-- 2008 re-design gives it a 24.5" wide wheelbase. That small footprint was SO important to me... I hate trying to squeeze through narrow aisles! For comparison, the Cameleon is 23.5" and Quinny is 25.5" (and yes, I brought a tape measure to the store to confirm this
31.gif
). Before the re-design, it had a 27" wheelbase, which is what Qtiekki was referring to I think.
-- Weight = 24 lbs (with seat on), so heavier than the Cam (20 lbs) but lighter than the Quinny (36 lbs! I'm weak, so this can be a problem when babysitting)
-- Folds easily with seat on or off, in rear-facing OR front-facing position! Also stands when folded, which is really nice.
-- Basket underneath is GINORMOUS... bigger than any other in its class
-- Baby sits up higher than most strollers, which makes it easy to use as a highchair in restaurants
-- Seat recline is located on the back of seat... I hate having to lean over with both hands to do the Quinny
-- Tires are rubber-coated but EVA-filled, so no flats... but still rides as nice as the others (the 2008 Cameleon just switched to this, actually)
-- Bassinet is very cushy (better than Cam's, comparable to Quinny's) and included in the price (making it considerably cheaper than Cam or Quinny)
-- Plus: adjustable handlebar, adjustable footrest, great canopy with mesh peek-a-boo window, no bar between the wheels to kick

How's that for WAY more details than you ever wanted to know?
2.gif
I also considered the I'coo Targo but when I tested it in the store, it just felt a bit flimsy to me... couldn't quite figure out why. Plus it hasn't been out long enough to garner many reviews, so I felt a bit safer with the Vista. Hope that helps!

ETA -- It is never too early to start obsessively stroller-researching, take it from me!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

congratulations e and q on the stroller choices!

I have been researching some options and really loved the uppa vista and i''m glad to see that someone else does too
30.gif
it seemed to have so many smart features and the price is nicer than some other models.

thanks so much for the information!!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 5:47:16 PM
Author: lovelylulu

congratulations e and q on the stroller choices!

I have been researching some options and really loved the uppa vista and i'm glad to see that someone else does too
30.gif
it seemed to have so many smart features and the price is nicer than some other models.

thanks so much for the information!!
No prob, lulu! I'm sure I'll have even more to say in October, when the baby is actually here.
2.gif
I'm horrible at making decisions, but the best thing I did was go to a store that had all the strollers I was considering, and test them all out right there next to each other. Made it so much easier to compare size, weight, features, sturdiness, smoothness, etc. Plus I spent a lot of time reading reviews and talking to moms/nannies in the park, any time I spotted somebody with a stroller I liked! I was also lucky to get some first-hand experience from babysitting. When I decided on the Vista, I managed to find an online retailer with a 10% off coupon, taking the price down to $585 (no tax, free shipping)... which also helped solidify my decision. I still love the Cameleon though...

Good luck with everything!
30.gif

ETA -- UppaBaby is also an eco-friendly company, which definitely went on my "pro" list!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Glad to see this thread revived! Great choices on strollers too!

I went with the Bugaboo Frog in the end (in navy). It just kept ending up on our short list (while other brands were falling off the list). And I like that it's a bit smaller/lighter than the Cameleon. We'll likely switch to a Maclaren in a few years anyway b/c at that point I'll just want something that's easy and super light and easy for travel.

For carseat we're going with Graco SnugFit.

Anyone done any research on crib mattresses?

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 6:48:26 PM
Author: janinegirly
Glad to see this thread revived! Great choices on strollers too!

I went with the Bugaboo Frog in the end (in navy). It just kept ending up on our short list (while other brands were falling off the list). And I like that it''s a bit smaller/lighter than the Cameleon. We''ll likely switch to a Maclaren in a few years anyway b/c at that point I''ll just want something that''s easy and super light and easy for travel.

For carseat we''re going with Graco SnugFit.

Anyone done any research on crib mattresses?
Janine, I love the Frog too... I don''t know anyone who doesn''t like theirs! And it holds its value so well, too, if you ever want to resell it.

We went with an organic crib mattress... expensive, but our parents are buying the nursery set and everyone was in agreement that it was the right choice for us. It is the Naturepedic No-Compromise Ultra... I don''t have a baby sleeping on it yet, but the reviews I found online spoke highly of it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results