shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Gemesis vs Natural

If you had your choice of the following and both were priced the same...which would you choose?

• 1ct E VS2 superideal RB natural diamond mined from the ground

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 2ct E VS2 superideal RB diamond grown in a lab

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fancycoloredfan

Rough_Rock
This is a ring i found on a web site somewhere - the center pink stone is 12.57 ct. it's gorgeous. i'm not sure i'd use the same setting, but you probably need something substantial to balance out the center stone. i love the color.

pinkring.jpg

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2004 4:05:01 PM vtigger86 wrote:

i voted for the natural. i'm stupid, but not that stupid to pay $7000 for a man-made stone. and i doubt these man-made stones will ever have a price effect on the natural ones. if someone is willing to pay $7000 for a man-made, maybe debeers would even raise the price more. fake is for fake people if you can't afford the real thing, just don't wear it or carry it... like LV handbags and rolex watches. ----------------

hmmm... is it Friday already?

interestingly enough, rolex watches are handmade, and you don't seem to think paying for those is stupid.

cutting diamonds is done by humans as well. does this detract from their value to you?

I consider chemically and physically identical items to be... well... identical. I don't care about the price. The reason why I was drawn to cultured stones was partially ethical and partially an affinity for interesting technology. Does this make me stupid?

And, hey, I'm chemically and physically identical to a human, btw, so watch it with the "fake" comments.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/16/2004 5:29:44 PM chialea wrote:

----------------
On 7/16/2004 4:05:01 PM vtigger86 wrote:

i voted for the natural. i'm stupid, but not that stupid to pay $7000 for a man-made stone. and i doubt these man-made stones will ever have a price effect on the natural ones. if someone is willing to pay $7000 for a man-made, maybe debeers would even raise the price more. fake is for fake people if you can't afford the real thing, just don't wear it or carry it... like LV handbags and rolex watches. ----------------

hmmm... is it Friday already?

interestingly enough, rolex watches are handmade, and you don't seem to think paying for those is stupid.

cutting diamonds is done by humans as well. does this detract from their value to you?

I consider chemically and physically identical items to be... well... identical. I don't care about the price. The reason why I was drawn to cultured stones was partially ethical and partially an affinity for interesting technology. Does this make me stupid?

And, hey, I'm chemically and physically identical to a human, btw, so watch it with the 'fake' comments.----------------

chialea,

the last i checked there hasn't been any natural wrist watch discover yet. in fact i do own a 18k rolex watch but i hardly wear it anymore,i think they're way over price for that kind of craftsmanship, but i guess all luxury items are over priced. bottom line is, i rather wear a real timex watch than a fake rolex.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
i'm stupid, but not that stupid to pay $7000 for a man-made stone.
...fake is for fake people if you can't afford the real thing, just
don't wear it or carry it..,
-----------

Vtigger, you need to learn to express your opinion without personally attacking others.

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/16/2004 7:41:41 PM vtigger86 wrote:

----------------

rich,

yeah, you're right. sometimes i just say things without using my little pea brain. but,at least i'm honest, i don't beat around the bush, i just say what's on my mind, at the time .----------------

It doesn't mean that you're incapable of saying what's on your mind without being offensive about it. If you are, I suggest that it's a skill that has many applications. It's lubrication of the mind, as it were.

I simply prefer lab-made. The kind dug out of the ground are, to me, second best to an eqivalent lab-made diamond. I don't think this makes me stupid or impractical. It's not a fake, it's a diamond. It's a diamond that was created through some amazing processes that I find quite interesting, which gives it that extra cachet, the same way some people would like a stone from a celebrety or royalty. I particularly also like that it doesn't pass through DeBeer's hands, as I think that their power is not good for consumers in general, and I also wish to encourage responsible mining practices, which include mining as little as possible.

I have refrained from calling you names over things you have said on the board which I disagreed with, and things you've done that I strongly disagreed with. Perhaps you might extend both me and the other users of this board the same curtesey?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chialea,
believe me, nothing you or anybody on this board say would bother me .life is too short to be bothered by little things. we all have our own opinions on everything.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2004 10:58:45 PM starfire wrote:

Sorry to barge in like this, but I have to agree with Richard. You seem to have some deep-seated insecurity complex that compels you to attach others personally. Seek help!

----------------

Stephen,

I'm not attacking you nor will I get into an argument with you about this, but I will point out that you just made a post in another thread that could be intrepreted as calling a lot of people unethical and thieves

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Hi Noobie,

Point taken. Although that was talking about a moral, ethical and legal issue about ripping off copyright and intellectual property. Unless you do not believe in taking a moral and ethical stand?

----------------
On 7/16/2004 11:11:28 PM noobie wrote:

----------------

----------------

Stephen,

I'm not attacking you nor will I get into an argument with you about this, but I will point out that you just made a post in another thread that could be intrepreted as calling a lot of people unethical and thieves
----------------

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2004 11:16:07 PM starfire wrote:

Hi Noobie,

Unless you do not believe in taking a moral and ethical stand?

----------------
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
How does what I just wrote to you equate to me not believing in taking a moral and ethical stand?
I was just trying to politely point out an intreptation. Why do have to question my ethics? But like I said I'm not going to argue with you on this

starfire

Shiny_Rock
Noobie,

It was only a question asked about your stand, and anyway I don't want to get drawn into another debate on this. No offense was intended; let's keep it on friendly basis ok?

Best regards

----------------
On 7/16/2004 11:22:46 PM noobie wrote:

----------------
----------------
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
How does what I just wrote to you equate to me not believing in taking a moral and ethical stand?
I was just trying to politely point out an intreptation. Why do have to question my ethics? But like I said I'm not going to argue with you on this----------------

noobie

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 7/16/2004 11:27:26 PM starfire wrote:

let's keep it on friendly basis ok?

Best regards

----------------
Yes of course, and to answer your question yes I do believe in taking a moral and ethical stand

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Gentlemen! Ladies! Peace, okay?

Remember this is the internet, so everybody has to be six times as polite as they think the other guy is being in order to prevent flame wars.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata, thank you. Friendly reminder: personal attacks are not allowed on the forum.

lclaxton

Rough_Rock
Thank goodness someone like you is out there! I could not agree more about synthetic diamonds. I want to buy my girlfriend a white, man-made diamond engagement ring and can't find one anywhere! Is there any help you can give me that might lead me in the right direction? So far all I have found are stones that are blueish in tint or yellow.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/27/2004 3:53:21 PM lclaxton wrote:

Thank goodness someone like you is out there! [...] can't find one anywhere!
----------------

Actually, there seem to be plenty of followers - just look where the poll results got now from the even split that Mara observed way back
6.gif

There are three websites I know of that you may find interesting: Takara (including HPHT) and Gemesis and Chatam.
read.gif
There are listings and news about the state of diamond production on each.

VPGemesis.JPG

rmjlrs

Rough_Rock
Regardless of cost or appearance.....should I as a jewelry retailer tell a customer, who comes to me in good faith, that the "created diamond" is not from nature but lab grown?
And if it doesn''t matter either way what would be the end result if by some way they find out and assumed it was natural?
I guess it is of some concern...like fracture filled or other stone enhancements....should a customer be told?

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that the customer should always be told:

The consumer will want to know - and will not feel that great when they find out that the diamond is not natuarlly as good as it seems.

Thus, they should be told that:

Either the diamond is a natural diamond without any treatments,

or the diamond has been treated or filled to improve color and/or clarity,

or The diamond is manmade (synthetic, lab grown, cultured, etc).

There are pleanty of people who will purchase filled or manmade diamonds based on price and looks.

Perry

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, full disclosure!! Let the customer make their own decisions knowing all the facts.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2005 2:52:25 PM
Author: rmjlrs
Regardless of cost or appearance.....should I as a jewelry retailer tell a customer, who comes to me in good faith, that the ''created diamond'' is not from nature but lab grown?

And if it doesn''t matter either way what would be the end result if by some way they find out and assumed it was natural?

I guess it is of some concern...like fracture filled or other stone enhancements....should a customer be told?

1. Yes, definitely.
2. They would be very, very upset.
3. Yes, absolutely

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results