shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your Upgrades !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
How have your rings changed over the years? .... months? .... ahem....weeks?!

If you have pics please post your transformations (can include new rings, new settings, or new stones) and give us a brief history in order as you go.

I think someone mentioned this being a good idea but I couldn''t find it.

I will include my stuff later on as the thread progresses because I don''t want to be the show-off.
14.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
HERE is a link to a thread that I did a long time ago called "25 years of my rings."
21.gif

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
PLEASE show off!! Maybe once you''ve posted it will get the ball rolling.

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
Patty, the link takes me to DCD, FYI.

ETA: Thanks, Patty. I hadn't seen that thread before and it "Rocks!"
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
link worked for me. Great to have captured all stages through photos!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 5:45:16 PM
Author: LollyBear
Patty, the link takes me to DCD, FYI.
I fixed it...sorry about that!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
My story is a bit confusing:

A. Started w/a garnet that I no longer have

B. 1.08 ct diamond set in 4 prong tiff. style ring. Then added marquise sunburst guard a few months later(shown below).

C. Briefly 'upgraded' (keeping & remounting orig. RB - no trade in) to a 1.53 RB (shown at left with ring guard below.. did not keep this diamond. )

D. 1.08 in Sepkus ring

see also:https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/kaylagees-rings.18312/

then moved 1.08 back to a tiff style and put a garnet in Sep setting.

before-after.jpg

E. current ring is Oval shown in avatar...
roval2.jpg

tale here - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/roval-ring-v-1-0.25191/

F. Considering this as a new home for the 1.08ct

A101lrg.jpg

I'm strictly on vicarious mode for now. Unless something incredible happens financially, the Roval will be it until I'm 50ish.

EditedToAdd: missing phase (of insanity) photo

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Give me a few years, and I will be back with a 3 ct. J SI2
30.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/10/2005 9:51:44 PM
Author: platinumrock
Well, Ladi-Freakin-Dah! I'm 35 years old and I live in a van down by the river!!! "

ROFL!
41.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Kaylagee...

I am a new "poster" on pricescope, but I have been an outside looker for a good deal of time now and I have to tell you I LOVE LOVE LOVE the current setting you have!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

It is one of my favorites on Pricescope (and there are very many pretty pretty rings)...I think it is so unique (the shine of the gold, the rare setting)....PLEASE DON''T CHANGE IT (j/k)

Anyway, I wanted to tell you how much I love the nice ring you have-

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sarita,

Here are my changes. On my pinkie is my original set which I wouldn''t give up for the world. The diamond is a .30 J VS1 which was handed down from my husband''s grandmother. For our 10th anniversary we decided to upgrade our wedding bands as we had plain bands up to then. We picked matching bands that have 1 ctw of diamonds each[yes he is one of those men that wears diamonds
9.gif
]. I don''t know the other specs on the diamonds. My band is on the top of my ring finger. My husband''s band looks just like mine only narrower. Next to that band is the setting that my princess came in. We upgraded to the princess on our 20th anniversary. It is 1.62 ct, J SI1. It is our 25th anniv. this year and I was torn whether to upgrade to a larger princess or change the setting. I ended up keeping the same stone[I really like it] and changing the setting and adding an anniversary ring. I haven''t given up on the larger princess, though!
11.gif
I''m sure a 2 carat is somewhere in the future!

cmsupgrades.JPG

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 2:19:24 AM
Author: UCLABelle
Kaylagee...

I am a new ''poster'' on pricescope, but I have been an outside looker for a good deal of time now and I have to tell you I LOVE LOVE LOVE the current setting you have!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

It is one of my favorites on Pricescope (and there are very many pretty pretty rings)...I think it is so unique (the shine of the gold, the rare setting)....PLEASE DON''T CHANGE IT (j/k)

Anyway, I wanted to tell you how much I love the nice ring you have-

Hi UCLABelle! - Thanks so much for the compliment!
9.gif
Tho'' i''m not 100 percent sure if you''re referring to the Oval ring or the Round in the Sepkus(that one has been changed already). Either way it''s wonderful to hear someone else appreciating yellow gold and my crazy tastes!
41.gif

For the Oval/roval..it will be staying the same indefinitely esp. since my husband will clobber me otherwise.
2.gif

I simply have to live through the upgrades and e-rings of others now! LOL!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Hello KaylaGee...

I am in love with the oval/roval (example E)...I think that is the current one...

30.gif

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
thank you everyone for your contributions!

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Kayla - Just wanted to say since I don''t think I have ever said anything about your ring. I agree it is a hugely unique look. I love the YG, I love the bands (did you have the setting made custom to match the eternity band you had?), and the sheer hugeness factor you get with the bezel (as if a 2ct OVAL isn''t big enough). I do admit the lack of the flush fit would bother me... only objection.

Any others??

Still don''t know all of you all that well but might there be a few others that cared to share visually? (Jennifer5973? Mara? etc?)

laney

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I have an interesting upgrade story to post - but I haven''t got my final setting back yet. Next week I''ll do a collage (it should be back by then..)

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
UCLA- okay cool! So glad you like it, I started with oval halo/frame but ended up falling in love with the soft rectangle instead. I think it demonstrates the confusion I''d had choosing the stone. I kept wavering between oval and cushion at the time.
3.gif

Sarita- Yes, I liked the gap at first but later realized that the gappy look works better on longer fingers. grrrr.. Mine are normally slender 4.5-4.75 ish but very short joint to joint. So, I started wearing the ering alone.. for more breathing space. I do wish i could do the stack o'' rings or gappy style successfully. I just love it... Also I adore chunkier settings, split shanks, etc. I''m always drooling over them but when they''re on me, they just take up sooo much finger and make me all sausagey.
9.gif

One trick with this ring is that my pair of plain, thin wedding bands(the old-style w/ a D cross-section, not the comfort-fit) slide right in under the head-frame and fit perfectly against the band on both sides. So I do this when I want to wear a ''set'' now.

I''ll post a picture of this soon.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2005 6:26:05 PM
Author: sarita
Kayla - Just wanted to say since I don''t think I have ever said anything about your ring. I agree it is a hugely unique look. I love the YG, I love the bands (did you have the setting made custom to match the eternity band you had?), and the sheer hugeness factor you get with the bezel (as if a 2ct OVAL isn''t big enough). I do admit the lack of the flush fit would bother me... only objection.

Thanks!! The matching bands were just a fluke, I found them after I got the ring. I think I just lost one Tuesday(I''m still looking around but it feels grim)... I could scream. I was putting on lotion in the car(I know... i should know better but I didn''t want them all gunky so took them off and either placed them in my lap or in the center tray) and that''s the last time I saw them.

The other lost ring is my engraved wedding band. from the ceremony. I haven''t told dh yet.. i keep hoping it will turn up. sigh. I don''t think I have enough blood flow to my brain lately!
38.gif

"as if a 2ct OVAL isn''t big enough" LOL! remember i''m the nut who started a Show me 3cts+ topic. (giggles maniacally) I''ve gone from 3cts up to 5cts as my ideal...depending on shape. I could live with a 4.0 ct oval with a bezel/frame/embellishment... but with prongs only then I want closer to 5ish. For rectangular cushion or emerald a 5ct minimum.

Again, if this ever happens I''ll be about 50 yrs. old. Meanwhile, I need to get hypnotized to fall in love with CZ and Moissanite.
37.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
My 1st one was a marquise around half a carat and purchased when we didn''t know much about diamonds.

2nd ering - 1.1 ct, G, VVS1 round brilliant
3rd one - 3.22 ct, J, VVS1, pear
It looks visibly warmer than the other 2 stones. I never thought I was colour sensitive until now so I''m now looking for a better colour stone with lower clarity. Still looking though. Wish me luck. This is supposed to be my last upgrade until I can''t remember which wedding anniversary, either 10 or 20. I suspect 20th but then I''d promise my husband anything at that point to get a new ring
9.gif

AllMyErings.JPG

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2005 2:03:24 AM
Author: DiaDiva. Wish me luck. This is supposed to be my last upgrade until I can''t remember which wedding anniversary, either 10 or 20. I suspect 20th but then I''d promise my husband anything at that point to get a new ring
9.gif

Sounds very familiar!! Same here!
12.gif
11.gif

I still think your pear is *gorgeous*! Often, I wish I''d gone warmer and larger w/the oval. Sites like Fay Cullen have given me a great appreciation for K+ diamonds.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2005 2:27:05 AM
Author: kaylagee

Author: DiaDiva. Wish me luck. This is supposed to be my last upgrade until I can''t remember which wedding anniversary, either 10 or 20. I suspect 20th but then I''d promise my husband anything at that point to get a new ring
9.gif

Sounds very familiar!! Same here!
12.gif
11.gif

I still think your pear is *gorgeous*! Often, I wish I''d gone warmer and larger w/the oval. Sites like Fay Cullen have given me a great appreciation for K+ diamonds.
So I guess that means no upgrade for us for at least another couple of years, right?
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love seeing everyone''s starter and upgrdader rings with the stories!! So fun.

I''m on my 3rd stone, but same wedding set still, so not much interesting to add just yet.
31.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Author: DiaDiva

My 1st one was a marquise around half a carat and purchased when we didn''t know much about diamonds.

2nd ering - 1.1 ct, G, VVS1 round brilliant

3rd one - 3.22 ct, J, VVS1, pear
It looks visibly warmer than the other 2 stones. I never thought I was colour sensitive until now so I''m now looking for a better colour stone with lower clarity. Still looking though. Wish me luck. This is supposed to be my last upgrade until I can''t remember which wedding anniversary, either 10 or 20. I suspect 20th but then I''d promise my husband anything at that point to get a new ring
9.gif
DD, do you still wear the marquise and the round? I think they are both very pretty. I love the pear, too.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We were poor students when we got married so we had matching gold bands - no diamond. A year later I received a 1/2 carat solitaire in a simple four prong setting that I wore with that band for many years. Later we traded that diamond in on a one carat and had it set in the yellow-gold bypass ring with sidestones. This year after 28 years of marriage I got the three stone anniversary ring with a 1 1/4 carat center stone and 1/2 carat sidestones. I had the old one carat diamond put in a platinum ring that I wear as a right hand ring.

suethreering.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sundial I love your three stone ring design, it''s one that has been saved down to my ''folder'' for future reference.
2.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mara that is quite a compliment coming from you. Your rings are some of my very favorite on pricescope and I hope to follow your upgrades!!!

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Hello all. My first post so I guess I''m a newbie here. For the past 3 months now I have been checking these boards as I am in the process of re-doing both my wedding band and engagement ring. I thought I knew diamonds (the 4 C''s) but it seems there is a lot more to it.

History now . . . I have been happily married for 9 years this September. I have to say that I have always wanted to re-set my engagement ring. I have always been a fan of platinum. Our engagement was a total surprise to me. He picked out both the stone and the setting (I never had the heart to tell him that I really wanted white setting instead of Gold and that although the setting is nice, it''s not my style). I did pick out my wedding band yellow gold to match the engagement ring. I loved my wedding band setting and had visions of it in Platinum or White Gold.
Anyway, I was one of those who could never get the proper size for both rings. Both of them were extremely tight on my finger together and 9 years later it took it''s toll. My finger split right under the shank of the rings. It was like somebody took a knife to my finger . . ouch.

So now is the time . . . hubby gave me the go ahead. I just had my 14K Diamond wedding band re-set exactly now into Platinum. This Monday I am seeing my jeweler to start on the engagement ring. I am most likely going with a classic setting with side baguettes. Here is a photo of my original settings, followed by my upgraded platinum setting. Engagement ring to follow - sorry for the long post.
OriginalSettings.jpg

Original 14K Yellow Gold settings
WeddingBand.jpg

Same Wedding band style now set in Platinum

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to pricescope Maui Tikii! Your wedding ring is gorgeous and looks fabulous done in platinum. My old yellow gold bypass setting was somewhat similar to your e-ring so I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Welcome MauiTiki! I love your wedding band! A friend of mine has a similar one in yellow gold. Your new platinum setting looks great! And your engagement ring diamond looks like a beauty!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had 3 upgrades. I''m not even sure what the carat weight of my first e-ring is. It''s set in yellow gold. My first upgrade was to a 1.06 ct. H/VS1 in a white gold setting we purchased from Costco. We also bought some barbecued ribs and a year''s supply of paper towels on that same visit
25.gif
. The only picture I have of that ring is on the appraisal, which I can''t seem to find at the moment. My next upgrade was an upgrade to the setting, not the stone. I put the Costco diamond in an antique reproduction platinum setting. I was absolutely in love with this ring and swore up and down it would be my "last." Haha. I got hit with the 2ct. bug last summer and found a 2.56ct K/VS1 on Good Old Gold''s website and I literally drove my husband nuts. I mean, I just wore the man down! Mark Morrell made the platinum setting, and I''m just head over heels with this ring, and it really is my LAST one.

Here''s my original e-ring:

first ring2490234783.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results