shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your Upgrades !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t attach the picture of the costco diamond in the antique setting until I reduce it in photoshop, which is on my husband''s computer. I''ll do it later. But here''s my LAST upgrade, EVER. I took the pic with my cell phone camera, so it''s not all that great.

ring111111.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Mrs Jam! I loooove your ring! Soo pretty! And I have to say your manicure is fabulous!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome MauiTiki, I love your wedding band, it looks great in platinum!!!! Mrs Jam, I love your ring too!!!!

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Well thank you! I just got them done yesterday. I''m such a clutz with my hands, so I''m really hard on manicures. In about 48 hours they''ll be back to their ratty-looking selves.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mrs Jam your ring is one of my favorites, and it has me seriously considering a K for my next upgrade. Fabulous choice!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...I''m SO MUCH enjoying this thread!!!

It''s great fun to see people''s ''diamond history''....

Way late here, but Catmom...your anniversary ring is beautiful, but I love the engraved gold band with ''boxed'' diamonds, too. Do you still wear it sometimes?

Thanks everybody! I wanna see more!!!
3.gif

widget

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/14/2005 1:51:28 PM
Author: widget
Wow...I'm SO MUCH enjoying this thread!!!

It's great fun to see people's 'diamond history'....

Way late here, but Catmom...your anniversary ring is beautiful, but I love the engraved gold band with 'boxed' diamonds, too. Do you still wear it sometimes?

Thanks everybody! I wanna see more!!!
3.gif

widget
Thanks Widget! I do wear it on days when I just want a wedding band otherwise I wear it sometimes as a right hand ring. I'm lucky in that my fingers are pretty much the same size on both hands.

To be honest when I looked at that picture I was thinking that I really need to fill that empty solitaire setting with some kind of colored stone and then I might wear it again with my wedding band sometimes.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, here we go.

This is going to be done in 4 consecutive posts.

Step one: the initial engagement ring.

0.73 ct rb stone, I/SI1 in a platinum six prong setting.

Wedding band is a Tiffany Lucida half eternity channel set band.

step one rb.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step two: the pear.

I decided that I wanted something different. A stone upgrade. I really wanted something with higher color because I started hallucinating I could see color in the I. Turned out I just actually could see some. I decided I really wanted a pear, in G color or better, preferably 1.5 cts *swoon*. I found this puppy, asked the store to call it in...turned out I misread the info and it was actually a D, not a G.
30.gif
I should never have seen this D. It ruined me forever.
2.gif

Stone: 1.5 ct D VS2 pear.
Setting: same platinum ring with a new platinum head to accomodate the pear.
Same Lucida wedding band.

step two pear.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
(Mis)step three: big ole halo.

I loved my pear, but I was less than bowled over by the plain setting. I''m all for solitaires, but this stone was SCREAMING at me to DRESS HER UP. PLEASE! So I decided that I wanted a halo. I also thought I wanted the stone bezel set...thinking about future kids and not wanting to poke their eyes out with my pear. So the stone was bezel set into a platinum halo...but the halo turned out to be waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger than I asked for. Like, gigantoid, Liberace, call ships home from outer space too big.

Stone: same pear.
Setting: platinum bezel set halo
Wedding band: that was the other problem, I didn''t even have any ROOM on the finger for another ring...something DH was NOT happy about.

step three big halo.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Step four: halo perfection.

So I returned the big ole cocktail ring to the jeweler and asked for it to be redone. I specified minimal halo-age, went through several waxes and benchmen, and finally came up with this puppy, which I looooove. I had the matching wedding band made as well. I also had the pear prong set above the halo. Screw the future children. If their eyes get gouged out, they shoulda been more careful around my ring.
11.gif
(J/K!)

Stone: same pear.
Setting: platinum halo with prong set pear. halo and shank 2 point stones F/G color, SI1 clarity. Half eternity.
Wedding band: prong set platinum band with 2 point melee, half eternity.

step four small halo.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t think this is the end though...I''ve got some more bands to show you soon...
27.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Wow--this was emotional for me to do. It was like our whole journey together passing through my mind as I created the file.
1.gif
emlove.gif

PS Thanks to Websailor for telling me how to add text to jpegs!
36.gif
35.gif

ring.chronology.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
With the made-to-match eternity band, 3.9 cts, SI1, H (that counts with the upgrade, right???). Both settings are platinum.
1.gif

Daylight.Both.Hand.1.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
your rings are beautiful, Jennifer!!!!!
30.gif

Laralooblue

Shiny_Rock
Firegoddess, I loved your tale of the pear! I agree with you on that initial halo setting. If possible, did it actually make your stone look *smaller*? Those larger stones in the halo sort of dwarfed the stone.

Love the final product - Brava!
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Laralooblue where are those pictures of your new three stone ring??? We are still waiting.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laralooblue - that big halo absolutely made the stone look smaller - there was a thread where valeria had placed pictures of them side by side (big halo vs little halo) and it made such a huge difference...I didn''t even realize how BIG a difference till I saw that picture!!!

Laralooblue

Shiny_Rock
LOL, I''m still lurking in the shadows, trying to go unnoticed until I can get pics!

My sis took some pics this weekend actually, but they came out terrible.

As we speak, I am researching digital cameras on line to (hopefully) make a purchase by the end of the week. As soon as I get it and figure it out, I''ll be posting! (I''m happy to see that someone is still interested!)

sarita

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for sharing!

Sundial - I love your 3-stone. Not only is it unique in its detailing (so not the 3-stone we have all seen around) but I think the mouting even maximizes the size of the stones - which are already quite substantial. Nice!

Mrs. J - Is the rig you posted the same one as in your avatar sans side diamonds? The stone looks HUGE on you! What ring size do you wear?? Thinking we must be around the same size and now envisioning what a 2.5ct + would like like on me...
30.gif

FireGoddess - I hadn't seen that first halo you had made. Wow, what a difference! The current halo completely compliments while the other actually *took* the thunder from it. (FWIW though I always liked the classic look when it was a solitaire paired with the eternity band too)
1.gif

Jenn - Thanks for including your rings here. They are truly a classic, gorgeous "standard" of PS rings I have seen here. What stlye looks great in the smaller stones also looks phenomenal on your hunka honker. I never saw the "history" but heard about the famous 50% upgrade in less than a month story. That's why I mentioned "within weeks" in the first post.
2.gif

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Sarita, yes, it''s the same ring as in the avatar. The sidestones just didn''t show up with my cell phone camera. I''m pretty sure the ring size is 6. I just love this ring and am FINALLY satisfied. It''s a nice feeling!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Firegoddess, love your new halo. I agree with the others that it made the stone look smaller, the first one, since the proportions were not ideal. I have three kids, try to not worry about gouging! Does not happen that often...

My story, is I got a 1.53 carat rb for my engagement ring, in a very contemporary yellow gold setting. Did not love it but a family friend of DH''s designed it and we saw her often. Her father was a diamond dealer and told my dh he was spoliing me...little did he know! Moved to the east from LA, saw little yellow gold, lots of platinum and facny shapes. Decided to upgrade, found out my stone was not great quality. I kept it and made a pave halo bezel pendant with it, which I love and wear a lot. My dh know it bothered me that the quality was not great and since we were new in town he decided to go to Tiffany''s. I then got an EC, three carat e/vvs1 center with one carat on each side for my tenth anniversary and 35th birthday. The ring was gorgeous, but I teasingly told him I wanted a monster for my 40th and our 15th, which is this year. We went back to Tiffany''s, traded in and I got a 9.22 carat emerald cut with baguettes. I went down to a g vvs2, but I am okay with that, it is still gorgeous. This is it for me, so I am enjoying it. I would never say never since my husband never thought he would go for this upgrade, but it is an amazing ring...I would get pear drops for my studs or an amazing bracelet before I would touch this stone! I have no digital right now, my son took it on a field trip in June and it does not seem to work, I have been so busy that I have not had time to replace it! I tease my hubby and say I have a bit of diva in me, since it does not phase me to wear it, though I do leave it home in the safe if I think I need to...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, I have GOT to see this ice-skating rink of a stone of yours!!!! We need to get you a digicam STAT.
11.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am getting a camera soon, missed out on some great pictures this summer without it. It is funny, it is large, but I think it is a deep stone with a thick girdle, so I do not think it faces up huge like others I have seen. I also wear a 6.5 ring and have long fingers, so...plus e/c look smaller than some other fancies...but I do love it!! (and think I have earned it too! If you met my mother in law....)

MauiTikii

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sundial, Patty, and Kaleigh for the welcome. I am sort of getting nervous now. I was able to meet with my jeweler today to start the process of my engagement ring. As mentioned I was looking to get just simple baguette side stones however I was looking for 6 prongs (like I have now). Basically I tried on every mold she had and even some finished ones but I kept coming back to one. It''s an exact Harry Winston Setting with tapered baguette side stones (same setting as on their website). However it''s a 4 prongs but they are those split prongs so really there are 8? I have no idea how my 1.12ct RB stone is going to look in it. My jeweler dropped a loose diamond she had into the setting then we put both my wedding band and the setting together. Both rings matched up great. Just ever so slightly nervous about the thinner shank and 4 prongs now.
33.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
MauiTiki, is the Harry Winston style setting a basket setting? If so, those almost always have 4 prongs instead of 6. Have you checked out the thread full of e-rings at the top of this page? You might get some ideas there. I like the split prong look and it''s popular right now but you have to decide if it''s for you.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2005 11:50:06 PM
Author: mrs jam
Hi Sarita, yes, it''s the same ring as in the avatar. The sidestones just didn''t show up with my cell phone camera. I''m pretty sure the ring size is 6. I just love this ring and am FINALLY satisfied. It''s a nice feeling!
Isn''t it?????!!!!!!!!
9.gif
36.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/16/2005 12:04:57 AM
Author: diamondfan
Firegoddess, love your new halo. I agree with the others that it made the stone look smaller, the first one, since the proportions were not ideal. I have three kids, try to not worry about gouging! Does not happen that often...

My story, is I got a 1.53 carat rb for my engagement ring, in a very contemporary yellow gold setting. Did not love it but a family friend of DH''s designed it and we saw her often. Her father was a diamond dealer and told my dh he was spoliing me...little did he know! Moved to the east from LA, saw little yellow gold, lots of platinum and facny shapes. Decided to upgrade, found out my stone was not great quality. I kept it and made a pave halo bezel pendant with it, which I love and wear a lot. My dh know it bothered me that the quality was not great and since we were new in town he decided to go to Tiffany''s. I then got an EC, three carat e/vvs1 center with one carat on each side for my tenth anniversary and 35th birthday. The ring was gorgeous, but I teasingly told him I wanted a monster for my 40th and our 15th, which is this year. We went back to Tiffany''s, traded in and I got a 9.22 carat emerald cut with baguettes. I went down to a g vvs2, but I am okay with that, it is still gorgeous. This is it for me, so I am enjoying it. I would never say never since my husband never thought he would go for this upgrade, but it is an amazing ring...I would get pear drops for my studs or an amazing bracelet before I would touch this stone! I have no digital right now, my son took it on a field trip in June and it does not seem to work, I have been so busy that I have not had time to replace it! I tease my hubby and say I have a bit of diva in me, since it does not phase me to wear it, though I do leave it home in the safe if I think I need to...
Diamondfan, what a ring! You have got to show us this mini-island of a ring. Soon, please, before I go for vacation and offline for 2 weeks. Arghhhh.....

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
diamondfan....you CANNOT keep us waiting for pictures of that baby! I can''t wait to see it but I know that when I do I will be in ''deep doo doo'' with my DH. I recently got a 5.10 ct EC and I''m already thinking it''s still not quite the size I was looking for. Good lord, what am I thinking?

I will be waiting with baited breath to see your monster!
18.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to say this, except for Miss Paris Hilton, that shrinkage occurs at any size...let me at that 24 carat!!!! Ha Ha...I am very much a diva queen!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results