shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your "M" Colour Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 4:57:23 PM
Author: platinumrock
Date: 1/30/2009 2:24:17 PM

Author: mausketeer

last one........ Gggrrrrrrr! (get it? ''cause they''re claws? Oh, nevermind......)

Won''t have it for another few weeks so - hand shots when I do.......

Rrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
11.gif

Thanks Platinum - my you are a good cheerleader - thank you so much for all your nice words through all of this (why does it feel I''ve gone THROUGH something exactly? This has been SO stressful!). Well I went from elated this morning to a bit worried right now to tell you the truth. I knew it was an M. I LIKE M''s. I''ve seen lot''s and lot''s of M''s and that''s what I wanted (L/M) but the pictures are kind of freaking me out a bit (don''t get me wrong - the RING itself I love. The mounting, the workmanship, etc. I think it is gorgeous and exactly what I wanted). It''s the stone I''m worried about. I am hoping that the darkness I see in the stone (let me clarify that I am not referring to the darkness of the COLOUR - I''m talking about the light inside the stone, or well, the LACK of it in the photos) is due to the look of the photos only and not the stone itself. Do you not think it looks a little...... well, FLAT Platinum? Please, I''d love your honest opinion? Because that was the ONE thing I specifically wanted the appraiser to look at: "How is the light return?" (because I knew it was deep I was worried about it from the get go and that is why I wanted the appraiser to look at it in the first place).

Well last night my boyfriend informs me that the appraiser didn''t even CHARGE him for looking at the stone and my boyfriend is under the impression that it was because the appraiser didn''t like it and thought we should pass on it! ???? The thing is, I didn''t even hear anything from the appraiser directly, he just told the vendor to tell me that it was A-okay across the board but to be sure I was aware of the colour (which I was). Now I''m worried that it''s too dark (again!) because of the CUT. Listen, a warm faint yellow I LIKE, dark lifeless stones I don''t.......

God, if I have to send this back to New York after it''s made it''s way here my boyfriend is NOT going to be happy with me..... sigh......

- Jodie -

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh it''s gorgeous, you must be dying to get that beauty on your hand. Wow, I''m so excited for you
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
WOWZA!!!!!! It is stunning!!!! I am in L
30.gif
VE with that setting....was it really only $400!!!??? I can''t wait to see hand shots!
31.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 11:40:30 PM

Date: 1/30/2009 4:57:23 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 1/30/2009 2:24:17 PM

last one........ Gggrrrrrrr! (get it? ''cause they''re claws? Oh, nevermind......)

Won''t have it for another few weeks so - hand shots when I do.......

Rrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
11.gif

Thanks Platinum - my you are a good cheerleader - thank you so much for all your nice words through all of this (why does it feel I''ve gone THROUGH something exactly? This has been SO stressful!). Well I went from elated this morning to a bit worried right now to tell you the truth. I knew it was an M. I LIKE M''s. I''ve seen lot''s and lot''s of M''s and that''s what I wanted (L/M) but the pictures are kind of freaking me out a bit (don''t get me wrong - the RING itself I love. The mounting, the workmanship, etc. I think it is gorgeous and exactly what I wanted). It''s the stone I''m worried about. I am hoping that the darkness I see in the stone (let me clarify that I am not referring to the darkness of the COLOUR - I''m talking about the light inside the stone, or well, the LACK of it in the photos) is due to the look of the photos only and not the stone itself. Do you not think it looks a little...... well, FLAT Platinum? Please, I''d love your honest opinion? Because that was the ONE thing I specifically wanted the appraiser to look at: ''How is the light return?'' (because I knew it was deep I was worried about it from the get go and that is why I wanted the appraiser to look at it in the first place).

Well last night my boyfriend informs me that the appraiser didn''t even CHARGE him for looking at the stone and my boyfriend is under the impression that it was because the appraiser didn''t like it and thought we should pass on it! ???? The thing is, I didn''t even hear anything from the appraiser directly, he just told the vendor to tell me that it was A-okay across the board but to be sure I was aware of the colour (which I was). Now I''m worried that it''s too dark (again!) because of the CUT. Listen, a warm faint yellow I LIKE, dark lifeless stones I don''t.......

God, if I have to send this back to New York after it''s made it''s way here my boyfriend is NOT going to be happy with me..... sigh......

- Jodie -
Jodie, have you seen your M in person? Did you fall in love with it? If you answer yes to both questions, then you have nothing to worry about. The stone spoke to you and you chose it because it appealed to you visually. Based on the photos you posted, your M looks lively with lots of personality. That''s what made me stop in my tracks and rave about it enough to post! Out of hundreds of diamonds that I''ve seen on this forum, yours is one of the few that stood out. And that''s saying a lot.

I understand that you are concerned about its light return, honestly, I don''t see any light leakage or dull areas. The warmth of the M color is actually making it glow even more and adding to its scintillation. If you love your stone, you feel that you purchased it at a great price and this is the one you want to keep, then an appraiser''s personal approval would not matter as much. Their job is to assess the value and quality of the stone for the price that you paid. And didn''t your appraiser tell the vendor that it was A-okay?

If there is something about this stone that you feel insecure about (yellow tint or poor cut), and it''s making you second-guess your purchase, then you may never be happy with it. There will always be something about this stone that you will nit-pick at, and you will never be able to enjoy it for its true beauty. I don''t think that is fair to you. If you''ve seen the stone in person, can you truly say that you are happy with it, yellow tint and all?

If not, then you may want to consider upgrading later on to something with a better cut or higher color. It''s too bad that it''s already set.

I hope you will still love it when you wear it on your finger. I truly think that it''s a marvelous M in a gorgeous setting.
5.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 10:37:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Take a look at this gorgeous M! (Scroll down to the last stone)

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/loose_antique_diamonds

I'd love to have a warm color antique stone!

30.gif

I like cutlets-- like when it looks like you could set it down on a table and it would rest on the cutlet sized cutlets.

Second. That is a gorgeous M.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again Platinum..... I stayed off of the forum for a few days to try to get my head together (as I said, this has been SO stressful trying to make all these decisions and just learning more and more as I went one has made it more difficult it seems) No, I haven't seen the stone in person actually. It's in New York and I am in Vancouver so..... it's ALL been long distance. I basically just saw the two photos I had posted on here on page 1 that the vendor had taken when he got the stone in, and then these four photos once it was set (my boyfriend was SUPPOSED to take photos when he went but he didn't charge the batteries on the camera..... sigh. And I had wanted the appraiser to look at it SPECIFICALLY just to get his opinion on the light performance, because I know my boyfriend wouldn't have a clue what to look for. When my boyfriend told me AFTER the fact that it was his understanding that the appraiser had recommended that we pass on the diamond, it totally freaked me out).

I am mainly just worried about the darkness in the centre of the stone. My concern about this stone from the beginning has been about the depth. The middle of the stone really looks dark to me. Again, the lighting in the photos may not be great AND it is set in a basket with a gallery so that might be what I am seeing so.... no way to tell until I have it in hand. Your words of encouragement make me feel better but then again, I have to think that only a few people have chimed in that they think it looks like a nice stone and it has been my experience on this forum that people are polite enough to NOT say negatives about something that's already a "done deal" you know? If someone posts photos asking opinions that's one thing, but after you've got the stone, NOBODY would ever say "Ew, really? That's horrible" LOL. I wouldn't do it anyways........

If worst comes to worst, I will have to send it back and start over. I think if I DO do that, I will just keep the setting and then wait to buy a stone until I come to New York again (maybe in the spring) so I CAN look at them in person.

Anyone else want to give their two cents on the stone please?

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 11:12:06 AM
Author: stepcutnut
OK it''s here...

Just a quick pic, battery is about dead on the camera.

This is going to be a RHR for me and I will say that the RG definitely warms up the stone---if that''s good or bad, that''s for you to decide :)
StepCutNut - do you have a thread for your new ring? More photos of it???????? It does look great in the rose gold I must say.......

- Jodie -

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks amazing. The pics look like they are totally snapshot quality, which can be very unflattering to diamonds. I would bet it''s gonna be a firecracker in person.

I bet you''ll know in a second whether or not it''s perfect for you when you see it, though, so definitely try not to panic meantime... I know it can be scary scary scary to have put so much $$ in something, not to mention time and effort! I don''t think the photos are good enough to assess anything except that the setting is really beautiful.

I''m a huge fan of antique cut M colors
2.gif
I hope it knocks your socks off! That setting is amazing.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 7:59:20 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I think it looks amazing. The pics look like they are totally snapshot quality, which can be very unflattering to diamonds. I would bet it''s gonna be a firecracker in person.

I bet you''ll know in a second whether or not it''s perfect for you when you see it, though, so definitely try not to panic meantime... I know it can be scary scary scary to have put so much $$ in something, not to mention time and effort! I don''t think the photos are good enough to assess anything except that the setting is really beautiful.

I''m a huge fan of antique cut M colors
2.gif
I hope it knocks your socks off! That setting is amazing.

Thanks Kitten - I''m coming off here as SO needy and I''m not usually like this..... I''m sorry if it''s getting annoying......

I can''t seem to stop looking at pictures of M stones just to make sure I like them! It''s crazy. I also MUST keep in mind that something blown up 50x on my screen (or whatever it would be) looks WAY different in real life (when it''s actually about 7 by 7 millimeters), you know? I just keep thinking it''s going to look like apple juice or..... well, you know..... the OTHER thing that nobody wants their diamond to look like...... LOL.

I need a beer...... a nice dark ALE! LOL

- Jodie -

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
I''m no expert but I think the diamond looks great. You reallly can''t tell until you have it in your hands. And who cares if the appraiser thinks you should have passed on it? What was he basing his opinion on? I''ll be honest, I think you have it in your head that the "numbers" are no good on this stone and its starting to freak you out. Please, please wait until you see the finished product in person and in different lighting before you make a judgment. Those pictures the jeweler sent to you aren''t the best.

I so want an M stone, I''m jealous. I used to have a RB that was a J-K and I loved the color. Then I upgraded to an emerald cut stone that''s a G. Everyone loves it and compliments it. Except me. I miss the lower color. My DH is going to kill me when I tell him I want to change again!!

Good luck I can''t wait until you have the ring on your finger.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:17:44 PM
Author: MMMD
I''m no expert but I think the diamond looks great. You reallly can''t tell until you have it in your hands. And who cares if the appraiser thinks you should have passed on it? What was he basing his opinion on? I''ll be honest, I think you have it in your head that the ''numbers'' are no good on this stone and its starting to freak you out. Please, please wait until you see the finished product in person and in different lighting before you make a judgment. Those pictures the jeweler sent to you aren''t the best.

I so want an M stone, I''m jealous. I used to have a RB that was a J-K and I loved the color. Then I upgraded to an emerald cut stone that''s a G. Everyone loves it and compliments it. Except me. I miss the lower color. My DH is going to kill me when I tell him I want to change again!!

Good luck I can''t wait until you have the ring on your finger.

Thanks MMMD - I''m just terrible at making decisions is the bottom line - EVERYTHING freaks me out about it, you know? I will for sure post photos when I get it.....

I had a question about a completely unrelated topic here - I''ve seen people use the term DH on here a lot and I finally figured out that (I think) it means dear husband? I wondered how everyone knows to use that term - is it a blogging thing? (first time I''ve ever seen it is on here but then this is only the second forum I''ve been on....)

- Jodie -

trishy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 2:05:49 PM
Yekutiel sent me pics yesterday - it''s all done - oh my god it''s GORGEOUS! I didn''t know what kind of cut the stone WAS actually (I knew it was chunky but wasn''t sure what the cut pattern was) and it''s an old style cut! Yay! I think the setting is just lovely (it''s the only eternity style band I''ve seen that has the open baskets so it''s all lacey looking and so pretty especially from the side I think.) I think the head basket is perfect with it too. I wanted a real ''vintage'' antique feel (if they made eternity bands in the 1800''s I think it would look something like this - lol) The M stone just adds to the look I think.

I freakin'' LOVE it!
OMG!!!!YUMMMMM - MMMMY
23.gif
drool drool drool....... i absolutely
emlove.gif
it!!!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
3.gif
I was a total pain to my DH when my stone was in the mail. Oh lord. Second thoughts galore! He still reminds me how annoying I was a year later. It's hard to deal with that period of time after you've committed to one rock after a long search, paid out thousands, and still haven't seen it. YIKES! Don't even worry about freaking out about it; I think everyone does.

IMHO, M in an antique cut is so yummy! It's not yellow really- it has a lot of personality and there are plenty of times you'll see a perfectly white rock on your hand in certain lights. So it's not like you don't get to enjoy having a white diamond; it just is a softer white, and there are other lights when you see noticeable face up tint... usually steely grey with a hint of creaminess in mine. I like seeing how my diamond changes in different lights... just something else to enjoy. I'm not a fan of true yellow diamonds... there's a big difference between a low color and yellow in my opinion.

I really can't wait to see yours... and that wasn't a bank-breaking setting? It's freaking fabulous! Who did it, again?

DH (yeah dear husband) tends to be a term a lot of girl-intensive websites use... like makeup websites and here.

ETA: I think that lower colored stones do highlight the fire of a diamond more. No idea why... but it really looks like that to my eye. (It's one of my favorite things about diamonds too! And the reason why colored stones don't really do it for me- not enough dispersion.)

MMMD

Shiny_Rock
DH is dear husband, I have no idea how I figured out what it meant. While my husband is a dear (much of the time
2.gif
) it''s a lot easier to type DH than husband all the time!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 1:47:32 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
3.gif
I was a total pain to my DH when my stone was in the mail. Oh lord. Second thoughts galore! He still reminds me how annoying I was a year later. It''s hard to deal with that period of time after you''ve committed to one rock after a long search, paid out thousands, and still haven''t seen it. YIKES! Don''t even worry about freaking out about it; I think everyone does.

IMHO, M in an antique cut is so yummy! It''s not yellow really- it has a lot of personality and there are plenty of times you''ll see a perfectly white rock on your hand in certain lights. So it''s not like you don''t get to enjoy having a white diamond; it just is a softer white, and there are other lights when you see noticeable face up tint... usually steely grey with a hint of creaminess in mine. I like seeing how my diamond changes in different lights... just something else to enjoy. I''m not a fan of true yellow diamonds... there''s a big difference between a low color and yellow in my opinion.

I really can''t wait to see yours... and that wasn''t a bank-breaking setting? It''s freaking fabulous! Who did it, again?

DH (yeah dear husband) tends to be a term a lot of girl-intensive websites use... like makeup websites and here.

ETA: I think that lower colored stones do highlight the fire of a diamond more. No idea why... but it really looks like that to my eye. (It''s one of my favorite things about diamonds too! And the reason why colored stones don''t really do it for me- not enough dispersion.)
Yes, well we''re BOTH being annoying on this (the boyfriend is being a pain when it comes to picking it up. He just wants it sent directly HERE to Vancouver but right now he''s so close to New York! I think he''s worried about going through customs when he still has to do his immigration process so.... that''s cool. So I''ll be reminding HIM about how annoying he''s been too for a while! LOL

I''m a lot calmer about the stone now than last week. I''ve been in the pawn shop next door about THREE times (I keep making excuses to go in - "Oh, I have this chain that''s broken, can you solder it for me?" etc) JUST to look at their L, M and N stones! Yes, I LOVE the steely colour about them. Like you, I am not a fan of yellow diamonds. It''s weird how my tastes can be SO specific about something SO subtle. Sigh. Makes me very difficult to buy for!

The vendor is ID Jewelry in New York. Yekutiel has been great and yeah, the prices are so good! There were a few settings I was considering. One was an eternity bridal set with I believe 1.78 ctw (both rings) for $1,500! Like, that''s crazy! I liked that their diamond search tool let you search by the table and depth percentages too and gives you the L/W ratio (although of course that gave me MORE to obsess on).

You know, I just should not be allowed to do stuff like this at all! I''m very OCD and it just brings it out in me worse......

- Jodie -

(oh, when I DO type DH after August, it will stand for DOODOO HEAD! LOL)

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh boy, it is stunning! I love it, love it, love it!

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I keep checking back to see if you have the ring yet. I can''t wait to seeeeeee!!!!!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
EDIT: I just written out the whole story about what happened with the ring, but I think it's not a good idea to say all this stuff about my boyfriend while I'm angry at him so I just edited it.

My boyfriend cancelled the ring today (returned it without having ever picked it up). We are keeping the setting. Basically, he was NOT happy about the fact that I was worried about the stone, and was not happy about the extra TAXES he was going to have to pay on it so he told me he was canceling it. Period. I have SO much to say about it but..... some other time.

I've lost FIVE pounds in the past week from stress. I haven't been eating or sleeping. I have a constant knot in my stomach....... at least I get to keep the beautiful setting! Sigh.......

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
I feel I need to add that this whole thing is ENTIRELY an issue between my boyfriend and I and has NOTHING to do with ID Jewelry, Yekutiel or the ring itself. Yekutiel has been nothing but professional, patient and wonderful to me throughout the whole thing (although I am now rather embarrassed to talk to him seeing as how all of this worked out) The ring was GORGEOUS and had nothing to do with this whole...... debacle!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, ack! I can see why you might be peeved - going off the edited version alone, this seems a little high-handed on his part, to put it mildly. On the other hand, given how worried you''ve been ... maybe it''s a blessing in disguise? Now you''ll be able to find a stone that you''re sure of (and gain back those 5 lbs!). Your setting is a beauty - now, you''ll just be on the lookout for a stone to match it. And somehow, methinks PS will help out ....

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 2:08:07 PM
Author: Circe
Oh, ack! I can see why you might be peeved - going off the edited version alone, this seems a little high-handed on his part, to put it mildly. On the other hand, given how worried you''ve been ... maybe it''s a blessing in disguise? Now you''ll be able to find a stone that you''re sure of (and gain back those 5 lbs!). Your setting is a beauty - now, you''ll just be on the lookout for a stone to match it. And somehow, methinks PS will help out ....
Thanks Circe - I am kinda crazy in ONE direction, and he is crazy in the other! LOL. He had wanted NO hassle and once he heard I was in the mindframe of "well, I THINK I''ll love it but you never know" that was enough for him to call it off (plus he KNEW we were going to have to pay federal and provincial taxes on it bringing it up here but I guess he hadn''t figured out how much they were going to BE. It was over our budget). We agreed that I wouldn''t buy another stone without seeing it first. We''re supposed to be going to NY again in a few months so, if we don''t find one before then, I''m sure we''ll have no problem finding something else.

Hey, I''m trying to fit into a size 6 dress so losing the five pounds has been a mixed blessing too! (although the lack of sleep has not been great)

- Jodie -

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Jodie I''m so sorry your going through all this. Hopefully you''ll find the perfect ring in NY. Please keep us posted
35.gif
35.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks MMT - and thanks to everyone else. This forum has been such an amazing resource - I appreciate every comment, suggestion and advice that everyone has given me....... It has actually reawakened my interest in persuing jewellery as a career. I''m going to look into it again I think......

- Jodie -

Burk

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss this? It''s gorgeous! You will be posting more pics, right?
31.gif
9.gif
2.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 2:37:11 PM
Author: Burk
How did I miss this? It''s gorgeous! You will be posting more pics, right?
31.gif
9.gif
2.gif
Alas... the boyfriend got "the crazies" one night and cancelled the ring.... it lives on on Pricescope only...... stay tuned for a new stone in my lovely old fashioned "antiquey" setting (hopefully sooner rather than later!)

- Jodie -

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results