shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your "M" Colour Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
I know you''re out there! Don''t be shy - I LOVE the so-called "lower" colours and I''m not embarassed to say so! I''ve seen them on here but they''re mostly on threads that don''t say the colour in the subject line so when I did a search for them, got nothing. If someone knows of an exiisting thread that has pictures of "M"''s in it, that would be awesome too......

thank you so much!

- Jodie -

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Oh, see "little yellow" in my avitar, a 1.37 old miners cut. Indoors it is a warm light golden straw color. Outside it faces up white. I am so in love with it, if I do say.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an M, but I could post a picture of my L if you like. I won''t unless you say so, though, just in case you would find it confusing.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
There's someone here who has a gorgeous M in a bezel-set pendant...I'll see if I can dig it up.

ETA: The PSer I'm referring to is swingirl. Can't seem to find her pics, so hopefully she'll chime in!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
You might take a look at the pinned thread about old cuts. Many of them are lower colors.

liz

Rough_Rock
My grandmother''s diamond is an N (2.30 ct, VVS1).

DSCN1160.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 6:32:34 PM
Author: glitterata
I don''t have an M, but I could post a picture of my L if you like. I won''t unless you say so, though, just in case you would find it confusing.

Always love to see ALL of your rings Glitterata! (I know we have similar tastes) And I am just in LOVE with your old mine cut Sonoma. More pics! (or thread links) please! I didn''t have much luck looking for an antique stone unfortunately. I found a few in my price range but only one was really nice and it was a rather round cushion (looked like an OEC actually) I wanted either a square cushion or a mine cut in an old stone. Plus it was a K colour which I didn''t really want (I''m sure some people here would be shocked that anyone would pass on a stone for being too WHITE! LOL)

I made my decision yesterday! I''m going with a 1.73 M modern cushion (not crushed ice though - don''t really like those). It''s nice and square which is what I really wanted. Not perfect percentages, but not bad. I''m having it set with rose gold prongs to enhance the colour. Should be pretty.

- Jodie -

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Mause !

Here you go:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-vintage-stone-omc.98874/

Congrats on your new stone. It sounds lovely. Cool on the rose gold prongs. What color is the rest of the setting? We'd love to see it when you can.

Sonoma

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 12:58:42 AM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks Mause !

Here you go:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-vintage-stone-omc.98874/

Congrats on your new stone. It sounds lovely. Cool on the rose gold prongs. What color is the rest of the setting? We''d love to see it when you can.

Sonoma
Thanks Sonoma - I read that thread eagerly when you got that stone. I just LOVE it! May I ask the depth and table percentages? That''s the only worry I have with my stone is that it''s rather deep (69%. Table is largeish as well at 64%) I just worry about it being dead in the centre like you said. Yekutiel assures me it is very lively, we''ll have to see (the stone is in New York, boyfriend is in New Jersey. He''s going in Monday to take photos of it for me. Only seen some in bad lighting so difficult to tell for sure. I''m WAAAY over here in Vancouver so I won''t see it until it''s all finished. My boyfriend knows nothing about diamonds so he''s not much help - am relying on Yekutiel''s experience to steer me in the right direction)

I can''t believe that RB is an "M" either! So silly that they are so discriminated against. I know, let''s start calling them "Obama stones"! EVERYONE will want one! I am Canadian but I was SO happy when he was elected (we are not big Bush fans up here let me tell you) I cried with happiness all day on Tuesday (I am wearing my "Elect Obama in ''08" pin proudly even as I am typing this too!)

Here is the setting I''m going with. It''s in 18K white gold and he''s putting a rose gold head on it. I''d like split prongs but not sure how that works (can they just use the regular 4 prong cushion head or will they need to order something else?) Also was wondering if we should go DOWN to 14K for additional strength (I love how delicate and lacey looking it is but there doesn''t seem to be a lot of material there. 18K could be too soft. Probably can''t afford platinum. Am thinking maybe palladium too if they work with it.) I like that it''s antique looking but still an eternity style. Most eternity bands are a bit too modern looking for my taste. Oh, and I''m not rhodium plating the white gold either, want it to be softer colour to match the diamond...... getting VERY excited!

- Jodie -

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/22/2009 10:14:33 PM
Author: mausketeer

Date: 1/22/2009 6:32:34 PM
Author: glitterata

Always love to see ALL of your rings Glitterata! (I know we have similar tastes) And I am just in LOVE with your old mine cut Sonoma. More pics! (or thread links) please! I didn''t have much luck looking for an antique stone unfortunately. I found a few in my price range but only one was really nice and it was a rather round cushion (looked like an OEC actually) I wanted either a square cushion or a mine cut in an old stone. Plus it was a K colour which I didn''t really want (I''m sure some people here would be shocked that anyone would pass on a stone for being too WHITE! LOL)

I made my decision yesterday! I''m going with a 1.73 M modern cushion (not crushed ice though - don''t really like those). It''s nice and square which is what I really wanted. Not perfect percentages, but not bad. I''m having it set with rose gold prongs to enhance the colour. Should be pretty.

- Jodie -

I also love warmer colored diamonds like K and lower. I''ve never been into icy white stones either. Warmer diamonds just have that glow, you know? Like cozy candlelight. They''re just so rich and mesmerizing. I would pass up a D over an M any day!

A 1.73 M cushion in rose gold prongs sounds divine! That''s going to be stunning.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Jodie:

Mine has a: 66.6% depth / 51.5% table.

---That''s the only worry I have with my stone is that it''s rather deep (69%. Table is largeish as well at 64%)---

I am not as knowledgeable in percentages as many people here but if you put a thread in Rocky Talk about it, you''ll probably get responses from some really knowledgeable people. Will you be able to post photos on Monday? If so, I''d put those up also.

---Yekutiel assures me it is very lively---

What company is he with, can I ask? It could very well be if he is a reputable and honest vendor.

Asides: Canada, eh? Way cool. I have a thing for snow and I make poutine a few times a winter. I''m excited about Obama, also. Could be just what we need.

They will order your prongs for exactly what you want. I''d ask for a picture of them before you o.k. it, though.

IMO, just IMO, I''d do 14K. Palladium is lovely but you''ll get a steely white/grey look that will never be the softer color metal you want for your stone at all. I love the look of un-rhodium''d white gold for many stones. That is what I''m putting mine in when I (eventually) get it set.

Again, please post the stats and photos on Mon., if you can. You''ll get lots of help from some really great minds.

And - congratulations, btw.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Platinum for the encouragement. There are times on this forum that I feel so out of place with my preferences, makes me feel good when I''m not the only one (IE: not crazy!) Was out with my girlfriends last night and was telling them about my ring. One of my friends said "I hope you got a NICE stone and not just a BIG one" Of course, to her nice means D, E or F so I just laughed and said she won''t like it....... Her husband got her ring at Birks so, as long as it came in a blue box with a brown ribbon on it she would have been happy with a lump of coal wired to a washer - LOL.

Thanks Sonoma for all the info - very helpful about the 14K white gold. My "promise ring" is 14K and I''ve had no problems with it (it has a lot of tiny little stones in it, not really pave though. I''ll try to find a photo of it to post on here. It''s vintage, very unique)

I''ll post photos of the stone when I get better ones (I''m nervous to do a whole "what do you guys think?" thread on Rocky Talk to tell you the truth. Don''t want someone to say DON''T BUY THAT STONE if I really like it). I know 69% depth and 64% table are within "Very Good" range and that''s good enough for me. There has really been no stone that filled everything I was looking for so going with one that was a bit deeper than I''d like was my one compromise. There''s the additional problem with cushions in the L/W ratio. It''s been hard to find a stone that has everything AND is perfectly square (which is what I really wanted. I didn''t like ones more than 1:1.05 in ratio) If I looked for several months, I''m sure I could have found another one but didn''t want to wait that long..... immigration stuff with my boyfriend coming here etc......

- Jodie -

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 6:05:57 PM
Thanks Platinum for the encouragement. There are times on this forum that I feel so out of place with my preferences, makes me feel good when I''m not the only one (IE: not crazy!) Was out with my girlfriends last night and was telling them about my ring. One of my friends said ''I hope you got a NICE stone and not just a BIG one'' Of course, to her nice means D, E or F so I just laughed and said she won''t like it....... Her husband got her ring at Birks so, as long as it came in a blue box with a brown ribbon on it she would have been happy with a lump of coal wired to a washer - LOL.

Thanks Sonoma for all the info - very helpful about the 14K white gold. My ''promise ring'' is 14K and I''ve had no problems with it (it has a lot of tiny little stones in it, not really pave though. I''ll try to find a photo of it to post on here. It''s vintage, very unique)

I''ll post photos of the stone when I get better ones (I''m nervous to do a whole ''what do you guys think?'' thread on Rocky Talk to tell you the truth. Don''t want someone to say DON''T BUY THAT STONE if I really like it). I know 69% depth and 64% table are within ''Very Good'' range and that''s good enough for me. There has really been no stone that filled everything I was looking for so going with one that was a bit deeper than I''d like was my one compromise. There''s the additional problem with cushions in the L/W ratio. It''s been hard to find a stone that has everything AND is perfectly square (which is what I really wanted. I didn''t like ones more than 1:1.05 in ratio) If I looked for several months, I''m sure I could have found another one but didn''t want to wait that long..... immigration stuff with my boyfriend coming here etc......

- Jodie -

You''re welcome!
2.gif
I also feel like an oddball too (I''m not into icy white diamonds or halos...shhhh..that''s like sacrilige here!). But for some reason, these styles look better on others. That is why when someone posts a photo of a beautiful ring or stone that may not be my style, I''m always excited for the person! I admire them on others, but not so much on me. But I really love the fact that no matter what your style and preference is, PS''ers will always encourage you to go for what you like, not what someone else likes. After all, if you''re not happy with your jewelry, you probably won''t wear it.

Your friend defines a "nice" stone as icy white. To her, that''s what a quality diamond should look like. But you can easily look at her stone and think it''s too "cold" looking. Not enough warmth. But at least you respect her enough to keep it to yourself. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider beautiful may be fugly to someone else. But what matters is that I am going for what I love, and not what is popular. And if other people are too concerned about what other people have or think, then they have some personal issues they have to deal with.

Please go with what your heart truly desires and don''t worry so much about what people will think. If everyone liked the same thing, the world would be a very boring place to live in. There would be no need for menus or options. What''s the fun in that?
40.gif

PS: I was never into colored stones, colored diamonds or rose gold either until I saw some beautiful pieces on here. I became a convert: hook, line and sinker.

Hmm..maybe there''s hope for the halo and yellow gold.
5.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I consistently choose M''s for my own personal pieces, and from this thread it''s clear we''re in good company! To me, there''s nothing like the lit-from-within glow of a lower colored stone and I, too, would happily take an M over an F any day of the week :)

Enjoy your new beauty and WORK THAT M!

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 6:53:19 PM
Author: platinumrock

Thanks Platinum for the encouragement. There are times on this forum that I feel so out of place with my preferences, makes me feel good when I''m not the only one (IE: not crazy!) Was out with my girlfriends last night and was telling them about my ring. One of my friends said ''I hope you got a NICE stone and not just a BIG one'' Of course, to her nice means D, E or F so I just laughed and said she won''t like it....... Her husband got her ring at Birks so, as long as it came in a blue box with a brown ribbon on it she would have been happy with a lump of coal wired to a washer - LOL.

Thanks Sonoma for all the info - very helpful about the 14K white gold. My ''promise ring'' is 14K and I''ve had no problems with it (it has a lot of tiny little stones in it, not really pave though. I''ll try to find a photo of it to post on here. It''s vintage, very unique)

I''ll post photos of the stone when I get better ones (I''m nervous to do a whole ''what do you guys think?'' thread on Rocky Talk to tell you the truth. Don''t want someone to say DON''T BUY THAT STONE if I really like it). I know 69% depth and 64% table are within ''Very Good'' range and that''s good enough for me. There has really been no stone that filled everything I was looking for so going with one that was a bit deeper than I''d like was my one compromise. There''s the additional problem with cushions in the L/W ratio. It''s been hard to find a stone that has everything AND is perfectly square (which is what I really wanted. I didn''t like ones more than 1:1.05 in ratio) If I looked for several months, I''m sure I could have found another one but didn''t want to wait that long..... immigration stuff with my boyfriend coming here etc......

- Jodie -

You''re welcome!
2.gif
I also feel like an oddball too (I''m not into icy white diamonds or halos...shhhh..that''s like sacrilige here!). But for some reason, these styles look better on others. That is why when someone posts a photo of a beautiful ring or stone that may not be my style, I''m always excited for the person! I admire them on others, but not so much on me. But I really love the fact that no matter what your style and preference is, PS''ers will always encourage you to go for what you like, not what someone else likes. After all, if you''re not happy with your jewelry, you probably won''t wear it.

Your friend defines a ''nice'' stone as icy white. To her, that''s what a quality diamond should look like. But you can easily look at her stone and think it''s too ''cold'' looking. Not enough warmth. But at least you respect her enough to keep it to yourself. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider beautiful may be fugly to someone else. But what matters is that I am going for what I love, and not what is popular. And if other people are too concerned about what other people have or think, then they have some personal issues they have to deal with.

Please go with what your heart truly desires and don''t worry so much about what people will think. If everyone liked the same thing, the world would be a very boring place to live in. There would be no need for menus or options. What''s the fun in that?
40.gif

PS: I was never into colored stones, colored diamonds or rose gold either until I saw some beautiful pieces on here. I became a convert: hook, line and sinker.

5.gif

Thanks again Platinum - that made me smile. I must admit I checked out my friend''s ring with my 10x loupe (I had it BEFORE the diamond search from a great summer school 2 week jewellery course I took a few years ago. I LOVE to look at my friends rings but I learned to keep bad news to myself very quickly) Well I kept the result of THAT inspection to myself as well (not a very clean stone).

Just spent the last hour searching the forum for "cushion depth" posts and now feel MUCH more at ease with the stone. A lot of the posts were asking the same question: "what is too deep for a cushion?". Seems a lot of the reason not to get a deep stone is simply for the fact that it will "face up" smaller and of course that is not good value for your money. Since I was looking for a 1.5 carat originally, the fact that it''s larger but deeper makes it appear in the 1.5-1.6 carat range so that''s fine by me, and it seems to be a good price). Haven''t seen anything that definitively says 69% is bad as far as light leakage goes, it certainly hasn''t been warned off the way very shallow stones have been so..... phew.

I am thinking it may be wise to have an independent appraiser take a look at it first since I don''t have an ASET or IS to look at and my boyfriend won''t know what to look for.

- Jodie -

mom 2-3

Rough_Rock
I have to say -- even though I am only a diamond lover (no expert) -- I also love the warmer colored stones. For me and my style, they seem to have more personality and character.
Just wanted to let you known you are, by no means, alone
1.gif

ps: I am sure your ring is going to be perfect. Can''t wait to see pixs!

mom 2-3

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I'll post this one more time! The M is an Infinity 0.54ct in a WF platinum pendant. The color is only obvious when it's indoors and there is incandescent lighting.
Oringial thread

SwingsHandM2.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 10:09:32 PM

- Jodie -

You''re welcome!
2.gif

Your friend defines a ''nice'' stone as icy white. To her, that''s what a quality diamond should look like. But you can easily look at her stone and think it''s too ''cold'' looking. Not enough warmth. But at least you respect her enough to keep it to yourself. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. What I consider beautiful may be fugly to someone else. But what matters is that I am going for what I love, and not what is popular. And if other people are too concerned about what other people have or think, then they have some personal issues they have to deal with.

40.gif

5.gif

Thanks again Platinum - that made me smile. I must admit I checked out my friend''s ring with my 10x loupe (I had it BEFORE the diamond search from a great summer school 2 week jewellery course I took a few years ago. I LOVE to look at my friends rings but I learned to keep bad news to myself very quickly) Well I kept the result of THAT inspection to myself as well (not a very clean stone).

Just spent the last hour searching the forum for ''cushion depth'' posts and now feel MUCH more at ease with the stone. A lot of the posts were asking the same question: ''what is too deep for a cushion?''. Seems a lot of the reason not to get a deep stone is simply for the fact that it will ''face up'' smaller and of course that is not good value for your money. Since I was looking for a 1.5 carat originally, the fact that it''s larger but deeper makes it appear in the 1.5-1.6 carat range so that''s fine by me, and it seems to be a good price). Haven''t seen anything that definitively says 69% is bad as far as light leakage goes, it certainly hasn''t been warned off the way very shallow stones have been so..... phew.

I am thinking it may be wise to have an independent appraiser take a look at it first since I don''t have an ASET or IS to look at and my boyfriend won''t know what to look for.

- Jodie -

Can you imagine if you shared your "findings" to your friend? But you have way too much class to do that. Regarding cushions, the bottom line is, is that what you truly want? If it is, then it will be easier for you to take people''s advice with a grain of salt. It''s true that cushions tend to face up smaller compared to RB''s, but they sure do sparkle like no other! I can be looking at 3 GIA certifications that describe three stones. All I have in front of me are numbers and raw data. But they don''t really do me any good unless I see them in person. I am a very visual person, so I let my eyes choose for me, without knowing the data. That way, I am going with my heart and what is the most pleasing to me visually. When I''m comparing stones, especially online, I always try look for an actual photo or video.

Taking the stone to an independent appraiser is a great idea. That way, you can have somebody objective inspect the stone for you.

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 10:37:24 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Take a look at this gorgeous M! (Scroll down to the last stone)

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/loose_antique_diamonds

I''d love to have a warm color antique stone!

OMG - THERE''S my stone! LOL. Lovely lovely lovely...... sigh......

Yeah, on the whole "white diamonds vs. warm diamonds" debate, I''ve had similar discussions with ANOTHER friend about my wedding dress (I like off-white, ivory, ecru, even TAUPE) Showed her a picture of one and she said "Oh, it''s too bad about the colour. It would be nice if it was white" LOL. I CRINGE at white wedding dresses. They''re just so..... BRIGHT. And NOT flattering to a 43 year old 2nd time bride (in my opinion......)

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 11:25:33 PM
Date: 1/24/2009 10:09:32 PM

- Jodie -

You''re welcome!
2.gif

40.gif

5.gif

Just spent the last hour searching the forum for ''cushion depth'' posts and now feel MUCH more at ease with the stone. A lot of the posts were asking the same question: ''what is too deep for a cushion?''. Seems a lot of the reason not to get a deep stone is simply for the fact that it will ''face up'' smaller and of course that is not good value for your money. Since I was looking for a 1.5 carat originally, the fact that it''s larger but deeper makes it appear in the 1.5-1.6 carat range so that''s fine by me, and it seems to be a good price). Haven''t seen anything that definitively says 69% is bad as far as light leakage goes, it certainly hasn''t been warned off the way very shallow stones have been so..... phew.

- Jodie -

Can you imagine if you shared your ''findings'' to your friend? But you have way too much class to do that. Regarding cushions, the bottom line is, is that what you truly want? If it is, then it will be easier for you to take people''s advice with a grain of salt. It''s true that cushions tend to face up smaller compared to RB''s, but they sure do sparkle like no other! I can be looking at 3 GIA certifications that describe three stones. All I have in front of me are numbers and raw data. But they don''t really do me any good unless I see them in person. I am a very visual person, so I let my eyes choose for me, without knowing the data. That way, I am going with my heart and what is the most pleasing to me visually. When I''m comparing stones, especially online, I always try look for an actual photo or video.

Taking the stone to an independent appraiser is a great idea. That way, you can have somebody objective inspect the stone for you.

I don''t know about the too much class thing - I''m really equally opinionated about other things as my friends are. You should have heard us arguing about everything ELSE last night! LOL We''re a bunch of bossy know-it-all loud mouths, all of us....... good thing we found each other!

Yes, I''m going to tell my boyfriend that he needs to set up an appointment with an appraiser in New York next week. Looks like the ring setting itself will need to be custom ordered so we certainly have the time. Only thing is he''ll need to stay out there in New Jersey for longer than he wanted (he''s helping his parents move. They''re going from a 5,000 sq ft house - I''m guessing how big a huge 5 story house is - to a 1 bedroom condo! Quite an adjustment.) He said that he and his mom were going through all her jewellery to look at things for me. I might get an engagement treat from her too! SCORE

Thanks for all the M photos and comments everyone. They really are pretty, aren''t they?

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/24/2009 11:05:11 PM
Author: swingirl
Ok, I''ll post this one more time! The M is an Infinity 0.54ct in a WF platinum pendant. The color is only obvious when it''s indoors and there is incandescent lighting.

Oringial thread

Thanks Swingirl for those! I love your Asscher too - I was wavering for a while between an Asscher and a cushion...... there didn''t seem to be many Asschers to choose from (although most of the champagnes I saw WERE Asschers for some reason?)

- Jodie -

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE warm stones!!!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see your stone. I love all the older cuts and warmer stones. My ring is a K and I absolutely love it. I would love to buy one of EricaGrace''s gorgeous M''s. Please post pictures when it arrives.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2009 7:23:33 PM
Author: MMT
I can''t wait to see your stone. I love all the older cuts and warmer stones. My ring is a K and I absolutely love it. I would love to buy one of EricaGrace''s gorgeous M''s. Please post pictures when it arrives.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks! Yes, I can''t wait either! I tell you, it''s kinda scary committing to something like this before I''ve really seen it!

Yes, I love all of Erica Grace''s jewellery and loose stones as well.... one day!!

Stay tuned - I will post pics on here as they come in.....

- Jodie -

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
This is for PlatinumRock as per her request...... "my" stone is the one on the right (1.01 L/W ratio - was SO hard to find!)

- Jodie -

1.58 M VVS1 - 1.73 M VS1 - smaller.JPG

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
One more....... not the best lighting.... no IDEA of what it really looks like......

1.58 M VVS1 - 1.73 M VS1 - smaller 2.jpg

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a GORGEOUS stone! I'd love a very warm (L-N) OEC or chunky cushion someday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results