shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick out my birthday present

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, crown 1.
2.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy belated birthday, Harriet!
35.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
And birthday wishes from me too Harriet
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:19:42 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
Happy belated birthday, Harriet!
35.gif
Thank you!
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 7:31:18 AM
Author: katebar
And birthday wishes from me too Harriet
36.gif
Thank you, and have some Tim Tams for me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your help. I've made my decision -- I'll take a Cartier gift cert. That way, they can choose the amount. Also, MIL can help me pick out something the next time she's in town, which she'll enjoy.

P.S. Cehra, the reason they didn't pick out a piece themselves is that they're not sure of my tastes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 10:58:11 AM
Author: Harriet
Thank you all for your help. I''ve made my decision -- I''ll take a Cartier gift cert. That way, they can choose the amount. Also, MIL can help me pick out something the next time she''s in town, which she''ll enjoy.

P.S. Cehra, the reason they didn''t pick out a piece themselves is that they''re not sure of my tastes.
I''m not sure the context of this comment?? LOL I think it''s fine that they want you to pick, but I still think I''d pick a few things and then let them pick LOL Tastes can be a funny thing, I''ve gotten various jewelry from my MIL over the years and it just isn''t very me. I just wear the things I''ve picked out and I don''t mean that to sound bad, the things she picked are nice but they''re not durable enough for daily use and I even make sure my watch is waterproof because I''m so lazy!! I wanted diamond studs because I could leave them in 24/7 and never have to think about it as well as be ready for a dressed up occasion without having to think about it LOL The dangly pearls are pretty but if I can''t bathe and sleep in them - I''ll never remember to put them in.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sara,

I was responding to your advice:
"I wouldn''t ask for a gift cert. If they wanted to do that they''d have just given you one."

Btw, i''m still trying to draw diamond faces, but no luck.
5.gif
Will you pretty please draw on my earrings?
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Belated Birthday Harriet!!! I can understand your dilemma - I wouldn''t want to pick something that was above what they had in mind to spend. I might pick a few things across a wide spending range and they can pick what they feel comfortable with?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 11:43:26 AM
Hi Sara,

I was responding to your advice:
''I wouldn''t ask for a gift cert. If they wanted to do that they''d have just given you one.''

Btw, i''m still trying to draw diamond faces, but no luck.
5.gif
Will you pretty please draw on my earrings?
9.gif
your HW earrings? I wouldn''t be good on those - you really must accept I *cheat* using colors in the stone!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that your polite way of telling me to take better pictures?
2.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 11:55:41 AM
Is that your polite way of telling me to take better pictures?
2.gif
no, I wouldn''t bother being polite about *that* ;-)

Really what it boils down to is that it works much better for me if I just stumble on a stone that already has the picture in it and just needs a little enhancement to bring it out. If I''m left to just draw things or have to really search for something I just am not a good artist or drawer. IMO the best of all my drawings are the penguin and the french guy... both of those have just a couple things added to them - the pictures were already there!

Ellen said I could do some from her OMC ring so I''ll see if any pics there scream out to me and I''ll post those.... and in no polite terms - keep working on taking better, clearer, bigger, more colorful pictures of your diamonds!!!!
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sara,
I just don''t have your photo-taking talent!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 3:31:52 PM
Oops, I could just have them design their own Etienne Perret Starlight band. That way, they can have input and choose their budget:
http://www.starlightbands.com/index.htm
here''s the one I''d get LOL Ooops! overbudget!! ::snap::

6mm 18kt matte white gold starlight band, size 8, with 15 champagne colored diamonds, 0.44999999999999995ct total .....$2166.96

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem is this would be the one I really want:
2.5mm 18kt polished rose gold starlight band, size 5.5, with 15 multi-colored colored diamonds, 0.15ct total .....$917.76

That doesn''t count as "a few hundred" does it? Darn. I thought I hit upon something.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 5:22:02 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
here''s the one I''d get LOL Ooops! overbudget!! ::snap::

6mm 18kt matte white gold starlight band, size 8, with 15 champagne colored diamonds, 0.44999999999999995ct total .....$2166.96
Nice!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 5:31:53 PM
The problem is this would be the one I really want:
2.5mm 18kt polished rose gold starlight band, size 5.5, with 15 multi-colored colored diamonds, 0.15ct total .....$917.76

That doesn''t count as ''a few hundred'' does it? Darn. I thought I hit upon something.
also, if that''s what you want it doesn''t help you to have THEM design it and think oh, she needs 5 red stones across the top of a yellow gold band!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 6:09:41 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
also, if that''s what you want it doesn''t help you to have THEM design it and think oh, she needs 5 red stones across the top of a yellow gold band!
Haha, or my alma mater colours.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I would not worry so much. Let them decide what to get you. It will not be the last gift you ever get, from them or otherwise, so instead of getting so focused, I would just let them pick something. Too much management of this might hurt feelings along the line. You are not married yet, there will be many times ahead for them to treat you, and I would just let it go and say, Thank you for thinking of me, whatever you choose will be wonderful I am sure.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi DF,
They usually do the choosing. This is the first time they've asked me to choose. They really want me to, which is so sweet.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If so, I think a specific amount or range would help. This way, you do not have to play guessing games and risk looking greedy. I might tell them that I would love a gift certificate to a certain store, that allows them to present you with an amount. If you think that you might go over that amount, tell them you will go shopping and then show them what you have chosen. If you are very comfortable, once you see the amount, that you can find something in that range, take them with you to get it. Honestly, it is just silly to try to pick something when you have no real idea what someone is willing to spend. What is a "few" to one person can vary so much, and you might be spinning your wheels needlessly.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem is that they live overseas and won''t be able to go shopping with me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Happy Birthday!!!
9.gif
I think DF gave you good advice.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Then just tell them to send you whatever amount they feel comfortable with and that you will find something lovely.

And wouldn''t they be coming to visit any time before the wedding? If not, I think that it is best to be handed the amount and go. I would never want to presume what "few" means, and I would be so mortified to tell them I wanted something that might be way out of the range they are thinking of. Too much confusion needlessly. A simple, "There are many great things I could chose, would you mind specifying the amount so we are both on the same page?" Clears it all up nice and easy. And I would just stick to that amount, I would be not be trying to get more by combining, I just think now is not the time to do so. You will get many things and have gotten many things recently, so I would look at it as a lovely gesture and pick something nice I could wear any time I might be overseas or they come here. Just my ho after 18 years of being with my husband, nearly 17 married...when we were engaged I just sort of rolled with it.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
You''re perfectly right. I''d hate to press them for a budget. I''d also hate to list possibilities -- too small might insult, too big might offend. Oh, I''m not combining the two gifts. It''s nice to have mementos from two parties who care.
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve missed you, Skip!
21.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 9:59:56 PM
I''ve missed you, Skip!
21.gif
Studying
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Study away, but my vibes are headed your way...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results