shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick out my birthday present

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My future in-laws would like to give me a piece of jewellery. They won''t specifiy a budget. All they''''ll say is "a few hundred." How do I go about picking out something? If it''s too small, that might be insulting. If it''s too big, that might be awkward. Also, DF''s grandmother has given me a cheque. Is there any polite way to combine the 2 gifts?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few hundred to me sounds like around $300-400. Not sure if there is a polite way to combine the two gifts...I don''t know, when things are touchy like this I usually don''t try to do anything like that.

Here''s a sapphire band that''s $415: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2511

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet do you have a bracelet that you could put a charm on? You could proabably get something special for $300 or 400 particularly if it was a gemstone. Or how about and ehancer for a pearl necklace or slider chain?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oy vey, Harriet! You have such terrible problems.
31.gif
20.gif

I love the charm bracelet idea. You could get the bracelet with the money from the grandparents, then askt eh parents to pick out charms. That will allow them to pick how much to spend (how many charms) and be a neat way to combine the two gifts.

Of course, charm bracelets aren''t for everyone! My mom got me one which I basically never wear. But I like them on other people.

InlovewithJHK

Shiny_Rock
Do what I do in those situations... get the hubby to ask! Their his parents, and if he is close to them, he can press a bit more about specifics and if you can combine... that is what my husband did for us when his grandfather wanted to buy us something "expensive" for a wedding present.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:23:16 PM
Author: kcoursolle
A few hundred to me sounds like around $300-400. Not sure if there is a polite way to combine the two gifts...I don''t know, when things are touchy like this I usually don''t try to do anything like that.

Here''s a sapphire band that''s $415: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2511
It''s a maternity band!
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:30:13 PM
Author: katebar
Harriet do you have a bracelet that you could put a charm on? You could proabably get something special for $300 or 400 particularly if it was a gemstone. Or how about and ehancer for a pearl necklace or slider chain?
I don''t have a bracelet, but would like one.
27.gif
What''s an enhancer?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:41:03 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Oy vey, Harriet! You have such terrible problems.
31.gif
20.gif

I love the charm bracelet idea. You could get the bracelet with the money from the grandparents, then askt eh parents to pick out charms. That will allow them to pick how much to spend (how many charms) and be a neat way to combine the two gifts.

Of course, charm bracelets aren''t for everyone! My mom got me one which I basically never wear. But I like them on other people.
Are you being sarcastic with me?
2.gif
I would like a charm bracelet. Where can I find a nice one? DF thinks they''re juvenile, though.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:41:10 PM
Author: InlovewithJHK
Do what I do in those situations... get the hubby to ask! Their his parents, and if he is close to them, he can press a bit more about specifics and if you can combine... that is what my husband did for us when his grandfather wanted to buy us something ''expensive'' for a wedding present.
He''s already pressed, and "a few hundred dollars" is all he got! Can I just ask them for a gift certificate?

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Only very affectionately! (saracastic that is!).
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aw.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! if you go for the bracelet i would consider a nice locket and have it monogrammed as opposed to the charms. as conservative as you are due to your work dress code i think the charms may be more than you would feel comfortable with. i have seen bracelets with a nice sized locket look very nice. i think you could get points with the inlaws by monogramming the last initial you will use in the center and so''s first initial on the left and your first initial on the right. it''s a great sentimental piece and you can add pictures or not. if you are not opposed to something more busy you could start collecting antique lockets and adding them when you find something nice.

i think the blue sapphire band is nice and you could start stacking those. i really like a nice anklet also. how about the diamond by the yard look with one stone it would coordinate with your necklace.

tell us what kinds of things you like so we can give some better ideas.

JenniferB

Shiny_Rock
IMO, a "few hundred" is 300 to 400, as 200 would be "a couple hundred"....
31.gif

I don''t know how you could combine the gifts without worrying about stepping on toes, I think sometimes, esp in touchier "in-law" situations - the individuals would like to purchase you the actual gift, instead of everyone pitching in some money to get you a humdinger of a bauble (unless of course it was presented that way).

You could use the few hundred to get a great loose stone and set it with the check money - as a semi-compromise I guess? Or better yet, a pendant then a chain?

Not a bad problem to have though....
28.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 8:50:48 PM
Author: Harriet
He''s already pressed, and ''a few hundred dollars'' is all he got! Can I just ask them for a gift certificate?
IMO no, I wouldn''t ask for a gift cert. If they wanted to do that they''d have just given you one. Not every piece of jewelry needs to be a huge expensive extravagant piece. I would find three things you like under $500 (of varying prices) and let them choose the token they wish to of them. I wouldn''t combine, I would get two separate small pieces to represent two different people and their individual acts of generosity.

As for the "maternity band" you have to realize that some sapphires will only represent what you wish them to represent. If you are having a boy child then maybe it will represent that. If you like the color of the sky, then maybe the band can represent sunny days. They''re just sapphires, its just a ring, if you don''t like it, you shouldn''t base it on the marketing package a company packaged it in.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:14:10 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

IMO no, I wouldn''t ask for a gift cert. If they wanted to do that they''d have just given you one. Not every piece of jewelry needs to be a huge expensive extravagant piece. I would find three things you like under $500 (of varying prices) and let them choose the token they wish to of them. I wouldn''t combine, I would get two separate small pieces to represent two different people and their individual acts of generosity.

As for the ''maternity band'' you have to realize that some sapphires will only represent what you wish them to represent. If you are having a boy child then maybe it will represent that. If you like the color of the sky, then maybe the band can represent sunny days. They''re just sapphires, its just a ring, if you don''t like it, you shouldn''t base it on the marketing package a company packaged it in.
Cehra,
There''s truth to what you''re saying. I just spoke with GMIL and she said to do as I please, as long as I have fun. MIL''s wish is that I have a piece of jewellery to remember them by, and I want to respect that. Any jewellery suggestions?

I was joking about the ''maternity band!'' I''m, shall we say, non-maternal.

Btw, did you really get a substitute ring?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:35:53 PM

Date: 5/13/2007 9:14:10 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

As for the ''maternity band'' you have to realize that some sapphires will only represent what you wish them to represent. If you are having a boy child then maybe it will represent that. If you like the color of the sky, then maybe the band can represent sunny days. They''re just sapphires, its just a ring, if you don''t like it, you shouldn''t base it on the marketing package a company packaged it in.
Cehra,
There''s truth to what you''re saying. I just spoke with GMIL and she said to do as I please, as long as I have fun. MIL''s wish is that I have a piece of jewellery to remember them by, and I want to respect that. Any jewellery suggestions?

I was joking about the ''maternity band!'' I''m, shall we say, non-maternal.

Btw, did you really get a substitute ring?
Yes, it was $10 and 10mm ;-)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shh... While you''re at it, tell me youur three-stone joke.
27.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:41:32 PM
Shh... While you''re at it, tell me youur three-stone joke.
27.gif
I can''t harriet!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF thinks he knows what your joke''s about. He said to think about 3-tone rings with marquise centres.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:10:09 PM
Author: crown1
hi! if you go for the bracelet i would consider a nice locket and have it monogrammed as opposed to the charms. as conservative as you are due to your work dress code i think the charms may be more than you would feel comfortable with. i have seen bracelets with a nice sized locket look very nice. i think you could get points with the inlaws by monogramming the last initial you will use in the center and so''s first initial on the left and your first initial on the right. it''s a great sentimental piece and you can add pictures or not. if you are not opposed to something more busy you could start collecting antique lockets and adding them when you find something nice.

i think the blue sapphire band is nice and you could start stacking those. i really like a nice anklet also. how about the diamond by the yard look with one stone it would coordinate with your necklace.

tell us what kinds of things you like so we can give some better ideas.
I like the bracelet idea, and would love a skinny stackable ring.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:13:37 PM
Author: JenniferB
IMO, a ''few hundred'' is 300 to 400, as 200 would be ''a couple hundred''....
31.gif

I don''t know how you could combine the gifts without worrying about stepping on toes, I think sometimes, esp in touchier ''in-law'' situations - the individuals would like to purchase you the actual gift, instead of everyone pitching in some money to get you a humdinger of a bauble (unless of course it was presented that way).

You could use the few hundred to get a great loose stone and set it with the check money - as a semi-compromise I guess? Or better yet, a pendant then a chain?

Not a bad problem to have though....
28.gif
DF suggested a loose stone too!
1.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
harriet, did you not say that you were liking rose gold in some other thread? that maternity ring is also available in rose gold with pink sapphires.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, I think you secretly want that eyeball lookin'' pink tourmaline that we''ve been discussing in the colored stone thread!!
11.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 9:44:45 PM
DF thinks he knows what your joke''s about. He said to think about 3-tone rings with marquise centres.
um......... noooooo???? LOL I have no idea what marquise would have to do with anything lol

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a rose gold starlight band from Etienne Perret? I absolutely love them and a thin one would be perfect for stacking! I''ve got my heart set on a 2 mm rose gold with 7 diamonds. Depending on how many diamonds you get on it and what width you choose, they start around $400.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pearl bracelets from a jeweller in Australia which are gorgous and vary in prices. I love the charm bracelet one but its a teeny bit over your budget but its very grown up and not at all childish
41.gif

uummypearl.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
just a modern bracelet

harrietp2.JPG

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
and lastly

harriet3.JPG

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the idea to provide several ideas of things you''d like over a range of prices. That way they can have some leeway with the choice and budget.

Maybe if you chose a bracelet or necklace you could use the check to get matching earrings/ring/etc?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet an ehancer is me
9.gif
. My job is to enhance you by telling you to buy more stuff ok. Maybe I''m better calling me an enabler.
Anyhoo this is and ehancer it sort of hooks onto a pearl necklace is sort of like a slider but it has a hook attachement.

pearlenhancer.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results