shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick out my birthday present

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2007 9:48:21 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/13/2007 9:13:37 PM
Author: JenniferB
IMO, a ''few hundred'' is 300 to 400, as 200 would be ''a couple hundred''....
31.gif

I don''t know how you could combine the gifts without worrying about stepping on toes, I think sometimes, esp in touchier ''in-law'' situations - the individuals would like to purchase you the actual gift, instead of everyone pitching in some money to get you a humdinger of a bauble (unless of course it was presented that way).

You could use the few hundred to get a great loose stone and set it with the check money - as a semi-compromise I guess? Or better yet, a pendant then a chain?

Not a bad problem to have though....
28.gif
DF suggested a loose stone too!
1.gif
Yeah, I was thinking loose stone as well...you could get something superb for a couple hundred! Good luck!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:41:21 PM
Author: crown1
harriet, did you not say that you were liking rose gold in some other thread? that maternity ring is also available in rose gold with pink sapphires.
I saw that, but it''s pretty expensive and I don''t want to put my ILs in an awkward situation.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:44:31 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Harriet, I think you secretly want that eyeball lookin'' pink tourmaline that we''ve been discussing in the colored stone thread!!
11.gif
Did you see the one I posted today?!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:49:06 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 5/13/2007 9:44:45 PM
DF thinks he knows what your joke''s about. He said to think about 3-tone rings with marquise centres.
um......... noooooo???? LOL I have no idea what marquise would have to do with anything lol
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 10:50:22 PM
Author: thing2of2
What about a rose gold starlight band from Etienne Perret? I absolutely love them and a thin one would be perfect for stacking! I''ve got my heart set on a 2 mm rose gold with 7 diamonds. Depending on how many diamonds you get on it and what width you choose, they start around $400.
Sounds yummy. I''ll go look.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 11:07:32 PM
Author: katebar
Here are some pearl bracelets from a jeweller in Australia which are gorgous and vary in prices. I love the charm bracelet one but its a teeny bit over your budget but its very grown up and not at all childish
41.gif
They are lovely. Darn.
Btw, which part of Australia are you from? I live in Sydney for a bit.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 11:18:35 PM
Author: ladyciel
I agree with the idea to provide several ideas of things you''d like over a range of prices. That way they can have some leeway with the choice and budget.

Maybe if you chose a bracelet or necklace you could use the check to get matching earrings/ring/etc?
That''s what MIL herself suggested!
1.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 11:19:44 PM
Harriet an ehancer is me
9.gif
. My job is to enhance you by telling you to buy more stuff ok. Maybe I''m better calling me an enabler.
Anyhoo this is and ehancer it sort of hooks onto a pearl necklace is sort of like a slider but it has a hook attachement.
Heehee! Now, what''s a slider?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would seem to me then your problem has just be resolved!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 11:23:16 PM
Author: monarch64
Yeah, I was thinking loose stone as well...you could get something superb for a couple hundred! Good luck!
Thanks! Great minds think alike.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2007 11:45:41 PM
Author: diamondfan
It would seem to me then your problem has just be resolved!
DF,
Which solution are you referring to? Btw, Happy Mother''s Day!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
you''re right. i went back and looked and it is 625 or so. there are plenty of things out there you''ll find just the right thing. i believe someone said etiene p????? had a rose gold with scatted stones starting at 400. maybe that will better suit.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, "a few hundred" can range anything from $200 to $900!! Maybe his parents didn't want to be specific because they want you to choose something that you really like but that would remind you of them whenever you wear it (which prob also means that it'd be something that you'd wear more often than not).

I agree with what someone else has said abt choosing several things that you like over a wider monetary range and let them pick out one. I wouldn't combine the two gifts either.

I personally like the idea of a stackable ring, perhaps something that you can wear on a middle finger (?). I also like the bracelets that Katebar suggests. I also like the idea of a coloured gemstone, one that you can set into a setting that you like...oh there are so many ideas....

When is your birthday? Is it coming soon? You don't have to disclose your exact b'day. I am asking because there are so many beautiful and trendy/ young gold and / or jade pieces in HK these days. They have the most amazing designs now that make gold and jade very funky to wear, not at all the "older image" that they used to represent. If it can wait 'til you come back to Asia, I'd recommend going shopping in HK (if you happen to already have plan to go to HK that is, I wouldn't recommend going to HK just for this
1.gif
).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, I think a matching bracelet and earrings would be a lovely idea for the two gifts.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet I live in Queensland but they have an on line store plus stores in sydney. I'm not sure if I will be in breach of the forums rule if i post the url. But the lady who desgns this stuff is famous for her modern jewellery. Her first name is Jan and her second name starts L if you ever read Australian vogue they used her pieces all the time in shoots.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for saying that diamondseeker! i agree with you totally.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
A
Date: 5/13/2007 11:44:51 PM

Date: 5/13/2007 11:19:44 PM
Harriet an ehancer is me
9.gif
. My job is to enhance you by telling you to buy more stuff ok. Maybe I''m better calling me an enabler.
Anyhoo this is and ehancer it sort of hooks onto a pearl necklace is sort of like a slider but it has a hook attachement.
Heehee! Now, what''s a slider?
A slider is sort of a pendant but it slides on the chain withour a bale. Here one that is not my style but it gives you an idea

sliderharriet.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:04:00 AM
Author: lienTN
To me, ''a few hundred'' can range anything from $200 to $900!! Maybe his parents didn''t want to be specific because they want you to choose something that you really like but that would remind you of them whenever you wear it (which prob also means that it''d be something that you''d wear more often than not).

I agree with what someone else has said abt choosing several things that you like over a wider monetary range and let them pick out one. I wouldn''t combine the two gifts either.

I personally like the idea of a stackable ring, perhaps something that you can wear on a middle finger (?). I also like the bracelets that Katebar suggests. I also like the idea of a coloured gemstone, one that you can set into a setting that you like...oh there are so many ideas....

When is your birthday? Is it coming soon? You don''t have to disclose your exact b''day. I am asking because there are so many beautiful and trendy/ young gold and / or jade pieces in HK these days. They have the most amazing designs now that make gold and jade very funky to wear, not at all the ''older image'' that they used to represent. If it can wait ''til you come back to Asia, I''d recommend going shopping in HK (if you happen to already have plan to go to HK that is, I wouldn''t recommend going to HK just for this
1.gif
).
Thanks, Lien! As usual, you''re brimming over with ideas.
1.gif
My birthday is over. However, as I just told Deco, I''m commemorating other occasions beside a mere birthday, special ones which I''m keeping private.
Oh, and I won''t be going to HK. I''m going to the Banyan Tree for some solitude.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
You have lovely taste Harriet and whatever you choose will be beautiful I''m sure. I''ll second the idea of stacking rings. That way you can always add another if their budget is higher...Or another on a different occasion. Finding one under $500 is the tricky part. Bracelets would be great, too. WF has some cute new pendants. I like this one http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4110&CategID=7 And this one http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/Three-Leaf-Flower-Pendant_1130.htm But then again, I''m partial to anything that comes in threes.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:07:39 AM
Harriet I live in Queensland but they have an on line store plus stores in sydney. I''m not sure if I will be in breach of the forums rule if i post the url. But the lady who desgns this stuff is famous for her modern jewellery. Her first name is Jan and her second name starts L if you ever read Australian vogue they used her pieces all the time in shoots.
Alas, I''m out of touch with Aussie mags.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HARRIET!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Hope it was a fab b''day! Bet it was!
1.gif

Enjoy The Banyan Tree!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:15:48 AM

A slider is sort of a pendant but it slides on the chain withour a bale. Here one that is not my style but it gives you an idea
Got it!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:18:43 AM
Author: Miranda
You have lovely taste Harriet and whatever you choose will be beautiful I''m sure. I''ll second the idea of stacking rings. That way you can always add another if their budget is higher...Or another on a different occasion. Finding one under $500 is the tricky part. Bracelets would be great, too. WF has some cute new pendants. I like this one http://www.whiteflash.com/golden-wardrobe/Gold_Details.aspx?ItemCode=WF-4110&CategID=7 And this one http://www.whiteflash.com/Fine-jewelry/Pendants/Three-Leaf-Flower-Pendant_1130.htm But then again, I''m partial to anything that comes in threes.
How kind of you, Miranda! The second pendant would be so lovely in rose gold.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:20:56 AM
Author: lienTN
A VERY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HARRIET!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Hope it was a fab b''day! Bet it was!
1.gif

Enjoy The Banyan Tree!
Thank you!
It was.
Have you been there? If so, which villa did you stay in?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:26:02 AM

Date: 5/14/2007 12:18:43 AM
Author: Miranda
How kind of you, Miranda! The second pendant would be so lovely in rose gold.
You''re right! It would be very pretty in rose gold.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany has some nice silver pieces in the $200-$300 range. I was just eyeing a pearl bracelet with infinity looking clasp that I think was around $400. I know you appreciate name brands so I''d check out the Tiff store or website.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2007 12:38:16 AM
Author: gailrmv
Tiffany has some nice silver pieces in the $200-$300 range. I was just eyeing a pearl bracelet with infinity looking clasp that I think was around $400. I know you appreciate name brands so I''d check out the Tiff store or website.
I think I know which bracelet you''re talking about. It''s pretty!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
wow, lots of nice suggestions. i''ll check in tomorrow and see if you are leaning toward any one in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results