shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick and understand my perfect Oval!

glow18

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm in the market to purchase an oval stone for my future engagement ring. To make things easier for my boyfriend, I've decided to take the reigns and just do everything myself. I am trying to learn as much as I can but will admit it's been a little overwhelming. I went to NYC two weeks ago to take a look at some settings and decide on what I like. I had a great experience at Lauren B (the other places were so/so) but am assuming they will be slightly over priced despite the great reviews. Since this is the largest purchase we've made to date, I really want to make sure my boyfriend gets the best deal. From my research it seems like buying a loose stone would be the best option potentially though James Allen or Blue Nile. I'm open for suggestions and would also go to any jewelers that are recommended. I'm in Central NJ and can easily travel throughout the state or to NYC.

Our budget for the center stone is about $13K. I'm trying to allow $2K for the setting (total budget is $15K). I'm going to do a yellow gold setting with a white gold basket. I definitely want an oval. For color I am thinking "G" color, clarity "SI1" as long as it's eye clean, faint to no fluorescence, minimal bow tie (I understand almost all ovals have one), GIA certified and I would prefer for the diamond to not have the "crushed ice" look. As far as what else to look for, I am totally clueless. I do love a "spready" diamond for more finger coverage but of course don't want to compromise the integrity of the diamond or have it look not proportionate. I would love to get as close to a 2CT as possible.

If anyone could offer me any advice on what else to look for and how to understand if it's "good" or not as well as any local jeweler recommendations, etc, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it! We are looking to get the diamond and ring as quickly as possible.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! I'm in the market to purchase an oval stone for my future engagement ring. To make things easier for my boyfriend, I've decided to take the reigns and just do everything myself.

Already you understand marriage. :)

I am not an expert but look at different ovals other than “ideal.” You might like a fat or skinny oval.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are a lot of threads on Pricescope discussing ovals. I suggest you put "oval" in the search bar and
search only the Rockytalky forum and go through the threads that show up.

Here are a few threads to get you started...

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan of Distinctive Gem has beautifully cut ovals with no bowtie, although I think they do tend to face up a bit smaller. You might want to check them out on YouTube or the website. Of course there are other lovely ovals out there as well. It can't hurt to check out all the options.

glow18

Rough_Rock
Already you understand marriage. :)

I am not an expert but look at different ovals other than “ideal.” You might like a fat or skinny oval.

Hahah! I definitely will do that, thank you.

glow18

Rough_Rock
There are a lot of threads on Pricescope discussing ovals. I suggest you put "oval" in the search bar and
search only the Rockytalky forum and go through the threads that show up.

Here are a few threads to get you started...

Thank you so much! I've checked those out and I'm going to browse around myself too.

glow18

Rough_Rock
Jonathan of Distinctive Gem has beautifully cut ovals with no bowtie, although I think they do tend to face up a bit smaller. You might want to check them out on YouTube or the website. Of course there are other lovely ovals out there as well. It can't hurt to check out all the options.

Ah, yes! I saw his name come up when I did some brief research on here before posting. I think I would prefer a slight bowtie than a diamond that faces up smaller. I saw a few people mention that but regardless I'm going to take a look. Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results