shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me get the perfect engagement ring.

scubaduderon

Rough_Rock
JDDN|1468012987|4053324 said:
I actually have this setting and it's lovely. The prongs are very delicate and sleek. I removed the diamond to sell, so I have this sitting around. Wish I could sell it to you! It's probably too small (5.25) to size and it's for a 7.75mm stone. But I wanted to give you an example of a really classic cathedral 6 prong setting. I will agree with the others that 7.5 finger is not huge and that setting you linked, even though it technically ticks all your boxes, it's not a setting I would choose unless your GF tried it on and loved it. It's bulky and may dwarf a 1 carat stone.

The Danhov solitaire Niel linked is beautiful. Thoughts on that one?

http://www.brilliantearth.com/Catalina-Ring-White-Gold-BE1M50L-1152755/

I like the Danhov ring, but in Platinum it breaks the budget.

Now the one you have given me from BrilliantEarth works and is lovely!

Thank you,

Ron

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
scubaduderon|1468080571|4053582 said:
I actually have this setting and it's lovely. The prongs are very delicate and sleek. I removed the diamond to sell, so I have this sitting around. Wish I could sell it to you! It's probably too small (5.25) to size and it's for a 7.75mm stone. But I wanted to give you an example of a really classic cathedral 6 prong setting. I will agree with the others that 7.5 finger is not huge and that setting you linked, even though it technically ticks all your boxes, it's not a setting I would choose unless your GF tried it on and loved it. It's bulky and may dwarf a 1 carat stone.

Thank you,

Ron
May ask why gold is out ? You said you want white metal and are willing to buy palladium but white gold is out?

scubaduderon

Rough_Rock
Niel|1468080716|4053583 said:
scubaduderon|1468080571|4053582 said:

Thank you,

Ron
May ask why gold is out ? You said you want white metal and are willing to buy palladium but white gold is out?

I'm thinking the upkeep on the ring over long term in Platinum is less that white gold. Am I right here?

Thanks,

Ron

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you are exactly right about the upkeep being less for plat vs. white gold. WG requires re-plating over time because the rhodium plating wears away. It's annoying to re-plate regularly, because you end up without your ring (which bothers me since I love my ring!) but if you don't re-plate regularly the ring gets a yellowish hue. So I'd 100% recommend going w. platinum if you can afford it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1468085694|4053614 said:
you are exactly right about the upkeep being less for plat vs. white gold. WG requires re-plating over time because the rhodium plating wears away. It's annoying to re-plate regularly, because you end up without your ring (which bothers me since I love my ring!) but if you don't re-plate regularly the ring gets a yellowish hue. So I'd 100% recommend going w. platinum if you can afford it.
Yellowish isn't exactly right. It will be less white but in my opinion still white and not yellow if you get 14k

Now I agree platinum is best but a nice setting will be at least a grand if not two. And your not going to find a 1ct nice stone from brilliant earth for that price

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1468086513|4053615 said:
Yellowish isn't exactly right. It will be less white but in my opinion still white and not yellow if you get 14k

Now I agree platinum is best but a nice setting will be at least a grand if not two. And your not going to find a 1ct nice stone from brilliant earth for that price

Neil, yeah you are right, yellowish isn't exactly right. I see a "tint" in my ring when I don't re-plate, but not anything as yellow as yellow gold itself. Just not as white. I think this pic shows it nicely: white-gold-plating.jpg

I guess to me I just would rather not deal with re-plating, so platinum is nice for that reason. But obviously when thinking about and weighing costs, just keep it in mind. Certainly don't sacrifice diamond budget for platinum vs. WG (IMHO)!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1468086820|4053617 said:
Niel|1468086513|4053615 said:

Neil, yeah you are right, yellowish isn't exactly right. I see a "tint" in my ring when I don't re-plate, but not anything as yellow as yellow gold itself. Just not as white. I think this pic shows it nicely: white-gold-plating.jpg

I guess to me I just would rather not deal with re-plating, so platinum is nice for that reason. But obviously when thinking about and weighing costs, just keep it in mind. Certainly don't sacrifice diamond budget for platinum vs. WG (IMHO)!

I was just trying to get at the fact you don't have to replate white gold. Sure it's more tinted compared to platinum right next to it, but cover those other two rings up, it's still white. I don't plate my gold. She doesn't have to, and it might go better with a diamond in the I-J range (which seems to be what will be in the ops price range)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still advise platinum. If she wears other white metal jewelry, unplated white gold is just going to look dull in comparison. Over a lifetime, platinum is worth it. I need to read back through the latest posts, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That Danhov solitaire is gorgeous, but the price is absurd. It is like double the price of white gold. So the solution is to get a quote from David Klass to make you something similar in platinum. Seriously, I think his quote will be similar to the white gold price for the Danhov.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that setting and that diamond, but that diamond is only 6.2mm so I am not sure about it in a 6.5mm head. The next smaller head is 5.8, so that's not great, either.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1468092725|4053664 said:
I like that setting and that diamond, but that diamond is only 6.2mm so I am not sure about it in a 6.5mm head. The next smaller head is 5.8, so that's not great, either.
Yes that particular setting is probably best suited for the second one I linked that has a 6mm head.

scubaduderon

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1468088053|4053623 said:
That Danhov solitaire is gorgeous, but the price is absurd. It is like double the price of white gold. So the solution is to get a quote from David Klass to make you something similar in platinum. Seriously, I think his quote will be similar to the white gold price for the Danhov.

Thank you for the suggestion. I really like the Danhov ring, but I'm not familiar with David Klass. How do I go about contacting him?

Thank you,

Ron

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results