shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find a perfect pear

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and pop the question to my lady.

I got burnt by a brick and mortar store, on a previous engagement ring, so I am planning to go online, with all of your guidance of coure. Can you please help me find the perfect Pear to set in a chunky halo.

Color: DEF (my lady is sensitive to color, unfortunately)
Clarity: Eye Clean
Carat: 1.2 - 1.4
Cost: $5,500 - $8,000 (value is more important than a hard line)
Shape: Pear, but not a fat one
Flour: No to Low?

I'd like it to fire and scintillate (NOT the crushed ice look)

I get that you can buy a round online by looking at cut grade, aset and idealoscope, but how do you buy a fancy cut like a pear.

Thank you all so much.

Sean

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger and pop the question to my lady.

I got burnt by a brick and mortar store, on a previous engagement ring, so I am planning to go online, with all of your guidance of coure. Can you please help me find the perfect Pear to set in a chunky halo.

Color: DEF (my lady is sensitive to color, unfortunately)
Clarity: Eye Clean
Carat: 1.2 - 1.4
Cost: $5,500 - $8,000 (value is more important than a hard line)
Shape: Pear, but not a fat one
Flour: No to Low?

I'd like it to fire and scintillate (NOT the crushed ice look)

I get that you can buy a round online by looking at cut grade, aset and idealoscope, but how do you buy a fancy cut like a pear.

Thank you all so much.

Sean
Does the budget listed include the setting? If so, can you post an example of what she likes to help build that into your budget? Did you girl say she wanted a pear (they tend to be very much a yes or no thing for folks).

Fancy diamonds (any non-round) are bought on how the look and move. You can see a lot in the high resolution videos. We are an educational board, so we'll be teaching as we go. Folks will post contenders with commentary and what they like or worry about. Eventually, you'll narrow that list and request ASET images. They are always messy and bad looking, compared to good rounds, but they tell us a bit more about light performance. After that, we'll further help you narrow or resume the search. In the end, you'll have to make the call.

This has less weight that your target, but amazing spread. Eyeclean SI2. Beautiful ASET. This is about pear-shape perfection.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/102ct-f-si2-pear-diamond-r7488

DBL can make the setting to your specs and this stone is safely in budget. I would ask for a video (and read all the description they wrote about this beauty before you discount it on the basis of the SI2, ok?).

You'll get more suggestions, but this is so pretty I wanted to share right away =)2 If you are interested, you might ask DBL if they would hold the stone for 48 hours while you look over the video. They are usually pretty flexible. Tell them PS sent you...

Size 6 finger, this pear as solitaire for a size reference.
upload_2018-2-19_22-22-33.png

Last edited:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander
Great overall post, but you put the wrong link up. That’s a cushion.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My god that’s a gorgeous pear. :love:
Like I mean, put that baby on hold now before anyone else finds it.
I know...its not too long or too chubby. That ASET look great. DBL has such a great eye for fancies!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rocky, that is a gorgeous pear with no bowtie!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sjlammer - that jewelsbygrace pear has "no culet." Some like the looks and some don't.

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Man that is a beautful Stone. I just wish it was bigger.

The budget is just for the center stone, I’ve budgeted between 2k-3k for the setting.

She likes pears and really slender ovals.

Dang that pear is one of the nicest I’ve seen... I just wish it was bigger.

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
sjlammer - that jewelsbygrace pear has "no culet." Some like the looks and some don't.

Oh, Maybe I used the wrong term. It has that “eye” look

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whay do you mean by bigger...heavier in carats or nigger spread in mm? Pears will vary greatly at a given weight.But, standard diamond charts will say the weight range of 1.w to 1.5 carats is 8*6mm to 8.5*6.5 mm.The one I posted is 9.43 x 5.78mm. So, it is much longer and a little slimmer.

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
[QUOTE="rockysalamander]

you may have had a small typo there... I think you meant bigger:-o

yes, I was hoping for more carats

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
yes, I was hoping for more carats

So really, you’re wanting it mentally bigger.
Fancy cut stones are complicated since there’s no standard LxWxD. You need to buy them on spread. A pear of one carat weight may face up much larger than the next with identical carat weight. Perhaps it would help to focus on square millimeters of finger coverage.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ack! @Ella...can you fix my typo or remove my post. I can't believe that typo. :oops2::oops2::oops2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few other options,
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.50-carat-i-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-3694678 {9.95*6.51*3.95}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.32-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3882328 {10.18*6.01*3.57; if this has a nice aset, it the largest in spread and over your 1.2 weight goal}***
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.24-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-4312403 {9.71*6.16*3.6}
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.32-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-3089545 {9.64*5.69*3.51; on the fence on this -- hoping for other PSers opinions}

Paging @tyty333, @msop04 @ac117 @mrs-b @valeria101 to cross-check my eyes on these.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
Rocky, Thanks for posting all of those! I need to be up in the DEF color range. I would love to get into a GHI, but my lady has a sharp eye for color and it displeases her.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ugh... I'm no good at pears. Very few are ever posted that I like... too much mushiness for me. Even when one of our pear gurus says one looks really good, I'm like, "...umm, okay..." LOL Of all the ones listed, I like the one @rockysalamander posted. NO MUSH with that one!!

OP, would your FF want a diamond that was a higher carat WEIGHT but looked SMALLER or a ligher carat weight that looked LARGER? If I'm guessing, she'd want the one that looked larger, despite the weight. But that's my opinion. ;-)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

I would have never mentioned this one, if relatively slender pears were not so RARE - & this appears particularly beautifully cut, with larger facets & great play of light ... a slender 1.8:1 & not deep (62%) ! What is to be excused ? The weight & the grades ... WWW (1.01 D-IF)

Yes, I can see it surrounded by small RBC - the broader facets of this pear should contrast beautifully with the tiny sparkles of the small rounds in a halo/frame !

TBC

Last edited:

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ctd.

& one more on the boring (classical ...) side: WWW 1.1 F/VS

These two pears have the same length, this one is wider by .5mm - which is not nothing. I would still vote for the above - today.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results