clarity

Please help me find a perfect pear

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great suggestions everyone! OP - remember to also look at the spread (size in mm). Heavier in a fancy cut does not always mean bigger to the eye.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you've mentioned that your intended is averse to color, I'd eliminate the G...I also think this stone is too skinny (obviously my own preference).

For less than $500 more, I'd much rather the 1.11 F VS1 than a 1.02 F SI2. The Enchanted stone I recommended does look beautifully cut but it's nearly $2k more and much closer to your max budget so only you could decide whether that's worth it....although I do prefer the shape, I don't know if I'd spend so much more to only gain 1 color grade. Why don't you start by asking for ASETs for these 3 and then posting them here?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's silly but I love that the BN pear is a 1.23. I might be easily assumed.:mrgreen:

I have no actual opinions on this topic, I'm just reading along for the fun of it. Good luck!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you've mentioned that your intended is averse to color, I'd eliminate the G...I also think this stone is too skinny (obviously my own preference).

For less than $500 more, I'd much rather the 1.11 F VS1 than a 1.02 F SI2. The Enchanted stone I recommended does look beautifully cut but it's nearly $2k more and much closer to your max budget so only you could decide whether that's worth it....although I do prefer the shape, I don't know if I'd spend so much more to only gain 1 color grade. Why don't you start by asking for ASETs for these 3 and then posting them here?

And put them on hold!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1.11 and the 1.02 are 4 mains (definitely not my favorite) and one is pretty shallow even though it does have a decent aset.
4 mains are sort of the crushed ice of pears. I much more prefer 6 main or 8 main (buy you make sure you get what you like).
There is a reason that ED stone cost more compared to the other two.

The shape of this one is really nice... @tyty333, do you think the pointed side's facets will be mushy? Admittedly, I'm just not used to looking at pears...

Unfortunately, pointed ends do tend to be mushy.

OP, if/when you get asets remember they are only a snapshot of the stone (and they are usually not pretty). Good videos help the most if you can get them.
In general, the pears with nice light return are the ones where the rounded end looks like a round brilliant (there are a few exceptions).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The “perfect pear” was placed on my finger in 2002. Not actualy “perfect”
( inclusions) BUT I love my pear solitaire! Would not change a thing..and it sparkles after cleaning it.

FM

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the 1.23 F/VS1 vs the 1.21 E/SI1... the size is negligible (especially once a halo is added). The price, however, is WAY different. I think I'd go with the 1.21 E/SI1 and get a KILLER setting! ;-)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.23-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-4441916 $7840

vs.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.21-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-4046008 $4990

096C8985-61DC-448F-8FCC-513105E98C2C.png

Here is the difference I'm getting using the actual numbers (LxW) from the stones. It looks like a bigger difference than what your comparison is showing but maybe its just my old eyes.
2 pear comparison.PNG

Attachments

• 2 pear comparison.PNG
    2 pear comparison.PNG
    53.1 KB · Views: 35

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the difference I'm getting using the actual numbers (LxW) from the stones. It looks like a bigger difference than what your comparison is showing but maybe its just my old eyes.
2 pear comparison.PNG

I was using the actual numbers... maybe I entered them in incorrectly... let me check. ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@tyty333, you're exactly right... I failed to include the depths, and that makes a big difference! Good catch! Sorry, OP -- mistake on my part. :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so neither of these looks like yours (or do they?)... WTH am I doing wrong here? LOL

48172701-BCED-4944-A65F-CCDA466F3766.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, the photo is the same as yours... just superimposed them. That's strange though, because your photo looks a bit different. I still got the same 12% difference. Crazy computers! ;-)

@tyty333, please don't think I'm a lunatic. LOL I must have missed a digit on my original comparison. Admittedly, I didn't check the % difference... Oops.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
The 1.11 and the 1.02 are 4 mains (definitely not my favorite) and one is pretty shallow even though it does have a decent aset.
4 mains are sort of the crushed ice of pears. I much more prefer 6 main or 8 main (buy you make sure you get what you like).
There is a reason that ED stone cost more compared to the other two.

I've been watching this thread trying to figure out what to look for when looking at pear images and their vendor provided info. online. Threads like this have been very helpful. Thank you all!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I googled it and can't seem to find out what is meant by a 4, 6, or 8 main? Could someone please explain this or send me in the right direction?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its going to an annoying problem that if the diamonds are overseas, they may not have access to an ASET. It part of the challenge of fancy-shaped diamonds. Did you ever ask for a video of that lovely pear by DiamondsbyLauren? There is no harm in at least have a look at the faceting in motion and it has a fantastic ASET.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I love a pear shaped diamond but the modern cuts I don't care for...the antique cuts are just lovely though IMO. and usually have NO bow tie which is common in the modern cuts. If you go to www.enchanted diamonds.com you can view the ASET images on modern cut pears which all show major leakage especially at the bottom half... the tip. Have never seen an ASET image on an antique cut pear though for comparison.

My fav. for the price is the chunky pear that is 7x9mm which will give her excellent finger coverage and is really nice. F VS1 and RARE for an antique stone to have that high color.

Watch the videos with all these stones. The antique pears usually don’t have any bow tie.

Grace has a really nice selection in your budget:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-61ct-vintage-pear-cut-diamond-gia-h-si1
7 X 9MM MY Fav, but I love the chubby antique pears so much and the finger coverage with a 7 x 9mm will be really nice and is an F VS1. Seems like an excellent price for the rare high color and clarity on an antique pear that faces up so large. You can have a setting made that will elongate the look of the pear.
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/139ct-antique-pear-cut-diamond-gia-f-vs1

When Yoram cuts an antique pear they are very shallow. (45% depth)..he is an expert at cutting antique faceted stones in all shapes.
Here's one of his on www.diamondsbylauren:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/ind...wnish-yellow-si1-pear-shape-diamond-gia-r6720

The chunky faceting in this one is awesome and it is more elongated but only 5.5mm wide:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/1-17ct-pear-shaped-diamond-gia-evs1

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I've been watching this thread trying to figure out what to look for when looking at pear images and their vendor provided info. online. Threads like this have been very helpful. Thank you all!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I googled it and can't seem to find out what is meant by a 4, 6, or 8 main? Could someone please explain this or send me in the right direction?

The number of points in the star facet pattern as shown on the GIA report:
Old cut pears usually have 8 mains see my other post to the OP:
See this one on Jewels by Grace:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/139ct-antique-pear-cut-diamond-gia-f-vs1
click on the GIA link and look at the picture of the faceting on this one.

Sometimes they will have 7 mains which will not have the star point going down to the tip. The chunky pears will also have the wider star facets rather than narrow star points.
Hope this helps.
Also GIA usually grades the antique 8 main pears as "MODIFIED Pear Brilliants" vs "Pear Brilliant" which for the life of me I can't figure out why because with cushions it's just the opposite.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The flouro is listed as "strong" on this one

Strong fluor is rarely a problem. Brian Gavin Diamonds has a whole line of stones with Strong Blue Fluor (BGD Blue).
A lot of Pricescopers like the unusual phenomenon and seek out stones with strong blue fluor. Some stones even
continue to glow after the black light source has been taken away. I consider that very cool (phosphorescence).

I will tell you (and you have probably already figured this out by now), that finding a well cut pear with a lovely faceting pattern and
good light return is not easy. Especially when you start to get specific on a lot of specs. We can go find you a round with almost any
combination you might request...but for a fancy cut...when you find one with nice light return in a shape you like...sometimes you have
to let the other things go. Know which things are important to you and what you can give on. Fluor may not be one of those things
you can give on and that's ok...just keep things in prospective. As long as your timeline isnt tight you should be able to find something that
fits the bill.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.21-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-4046008 $4990

This one is too fat on the bottom. looks like a good deal but its not slender enough.

I see a ton of black spots in the video. is the idea that i won't see them because the magnification is so high??

You got it! I think it'll be eye clean. Reduce magnification down to a little less than 1/4 from the bottom (which will still be MUCH larger than the actual stone)... looks clean to me.

ETA: I just noticed the price is $4870

Most here gravitate towards a "juicier", chubbier pear, but since you like skinny ones, that changes things. The chubbier pears tend to have less chance of a bow tie, since the upper half acts more like a round. However, preferences are always different, and if you'd rather have a skinny pear, then that's what you need to get. We know that you favor a thin one, but do you know what the intended wearer prefers?

Last edited:

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium

sjlammer

Rough_Rock
Premium
You got it! I think it'll be eye clean. Reduce magnification down to a little less than 1/4 from the bottom (which will still be MUCH larger than the actual stone)... looks clean to me.

ETA: I just noticed the price is $4870

Most here gravitate towards a "juicier", chubbier pear, but since you like skinny ones, that changes things. The chubbier pears tend to have less chance of a bow tie, since the upper half acts more like a round. However, preferences are always different, and if you'd rather have a skinny pear, then that's what you need to get. We know that you favor a thin one, but do you know what the intended wearer prefers?

Sorry when I say I prefer, I really mean she prefers. what I like matters very little as she will be the wearer

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results