shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me evaluate this emerald cut diamond

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It’s photographing darker than it looks in real life.
This is more accurate..

Does anyone see a bow tie? @Karl_K

Wow!!! Woohoo!! She’s a beauty. I imagine its hard to photograph emerald cuts. Congrats! Do you love it, @MamaBee ???

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy for you. So glad it all worked out and you love her! Emmy, I mean! What a fitting name! More pics please!!!

@Dmndsr4evr11 I I hope to take a few decent pics when I get to Maryland tomorrow. That’s if I get there when the sun is still shining. The traffic to get there is horrendous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just gorgeous, Joanne!!!:love: Who would have ever thought to look at Costco for a gorgeous emerald cut diamond ring?!!! It obviously was just meant to be! Now it makes me want to go look at Costco jewelry! :lol: Congrats!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks Yes! It blew her socks off! :lol-2: She even checked that they weren’t lab diamonds because of the price. I gave her the GIA reports..She couldn’t believe what I paid for Emmy! She kept shaking her head! She said it was beautiful. I asked her if she could recommend a jeweler to size it at some point. She said she wouldn’t leave that ring with anyone..Haha She wants to see who could do it while I wait.. Her face was so shocked when I said I bought it from Costco online. I really feel like I won the lottery. I couldn’t have a ring made that I would love more. I’m so happy.
She’s putting together the replacement value. I’m very curious to see what it is.

That is fabulous and must have been very comforting to you! I am truly thrilled for you!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's just gorgeous, Joanne!!!:love: Who would have ever thought to look at Costco for a gorgeous emerald cut diamond ring?!!! It obviously was just meant to be! Now it makes me want to go look at Costco jewelry! :lol: Congrats!!!

@diamondseeker2006 Thank you! Go look! Some of them have GIA reports..The appraiser said that when they sell higher quality diamond jewelry they tend to get the best they can. They usually sell them one at a time.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is fabulous and must have been very comforting to you! I am truly thrilled for you!

Thanks! It really is a relief..I couldn’t sleep last night. I felt like I was waiting for a concerning blood test result! :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
❤️❤️❤️ What a sparkly way to start the year! Your collection is just classic & gorgeous!

Thank you so much @jbake! That’s all the sparklies for me! I’m done! I just may want to reset Winter.. possibly next year..I also have a rhodolite garnet I want to set. That’s it! It’s actually a relief to be done..I’ll really enjoy everyone else’s sparklies.
You have a beautiful collection. I didn’t have anything other than my wedding set at your age. You have such beautiful taste. ❤️

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

@diamondseeker2006 - that’s what I did as soon as I saw @MamaBee’s post that they actually have GIA certified stones:lol::lol:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Wowzers, @MamaBee !! Such a stunner!! Perfection!! Sublime.♥️
Your ring made me miss Mei.:cry2: It’s truly a beauty- wear in good health and blingy joy!!

eta: more pictures, please?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I have to say I loved the fraught deliciousness of this entire thread even staring at your new avatar while I did it. It's beyond beautiful and I love a happy ending.:love::lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowzers, @MamaBee !! Such a stunner!! Perfection!! Sublime.♥️
Your ring made me miss Mei.:cry2: It’s truly a beauty- wear in good health and blingy joy!!

eta: more pictures, please?

Thank you! I loved your ring @maita13. I know that who ever has her now will love her as much as you did.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much @jbake! That’s all the sparklies for me! I’m done! I just may want to reset Winter.. possibly next year..I also have a rhodolite garnet I want to set. That’s it! It’s actually a relief to be done..I’ll really enjoy everyone else’s sparklies.
You have a beautiful collection. I didn’t have anything other than my wedding set at your age. You have such beautiful taste. ❤️

I’m sure it is something of a relief to sit back & just enjoy instead of plotting the next move! Baguette sides would look amazing with Winter, one of my all time favorite engagement styles ❤️

Thank you! I’ve slowed down a bit, trying to make sure my purchases are thought out and something I’ll be happy with long term. I have a few big ticket items on my list, so that makes it easier to take my time, haha!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say I loved the fraught deliciousness of this entire thread even staring at your new avatar while I did it. It's beyond beautiful and I love a happy ending.:love::lol:

:lol: @ItsMainelyYou It really was a rollercoaster as someone here said. It was the most stressful diamond ring experience I ever had. I mean..Who would buy a ring at that price, no video, no expert opinions before purchase, at Costco! :lol: I just had faith because it had the GIA reports and their great return policy. It was all worth it..I just love it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m sure it is something of a relief to sit back & just enjoy instead of plotting the next move! Baguette sides would look amazing with Winter, one of my all time favorite engagement styles ❤️

Thank you! I’ve slowed down a bit, trying to make sure my purchases are thought out and something I’ll be happy with long term. I have a few big ticket items on my list, so that makes it easier to take my time, haha!

I’ll be looking forward to your jewelry journey. I know it will be amazing! ❤️

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MamaBee, I'm so thrilled for you. Emmy is just stunning, and to think you got her at Costco! Please share many more pics!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my appraisal back. I told the appraiser I didn’t want an inflated appraisal. She said she uses comps like real estate. It was appraised for more than double what I paid. I think my insurance company will have a fit. I’m sure I will only be able to insure it for the purchase price. Since they don’t cash out they will try to give me a really horrible diamond if I lose it. The appraiser said they would have an impossible task to replace that ring new for the price I paid... I’m really thinking of changing the insurance company for this ring. I would take a cash out policy so I can then make up the difference if I lost it. I wouldn’t want a horrible diamond…I can’t ever lose this ring!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think your appraiser fed you somewhat a line of bull.
An agreed value policy is going to be real expensive if they will give you one at 2x retail. Due to to much fraud they are not commonly available anymore.
A replacement policy they would gladly take your money on a 2x retail policy knowing they can pay far less in case of a claim.

Edit: getting nice stones or enough money for them vs dreck is always a battle.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@oldminer @denverappraiser
Im pinging Dave and Neil for more advice, a paid consultation and or appraisal from them would be something I personally would seriously consider.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your appraiser fed you somewhat a line of bull.
An agreed value policy is going to be real expensive if they will give you one at 2x retail. Due to to much fraud they are not commonly available anymore.
A replacement policy they would gladly take your money on a 2x retail policy knowing they can pay far less in case of a claim.

Edit: getting nice stones or enough money for them vs dreck is always a battle.

I agree! It’s a pain when they do that! The insurance companies don’t like a big discrepancy between the purchase price and appraisal. It’s going to be a headache to insure it!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since I can’t sleep tonight..for other reasons…I thought I would see if I could put together the ring myself..as a normal buyer. The cheapest I can buy the 3.01 VVS1 G color no fluorescence center diamond on Blue Nile is 56k which is more than the $49,999 I paid not including tax for the whole ring. The two side diamonds are .70 each. One is an E..The other is an F. I can’t get the link she sent to download right now but I think they had faint blue fluorescence. They would conservatively be 2k each. Blue Nile had a .70 E or F for over 2k. I just roughly subtracted for the fluorescence.
The setting in platinum I put at $1,200 because I’ve had platinum settings done for more than that. The tables and depths are all in the suggested ranges so not big tables or too deep. As a regular consumer I wouldn’t be able to put the same ring together for less than $61,200 plus tax. I’m sure USAA could get diamonds for less than I can buy retail….This is a big stretch between my number and the appraiser’s number. I knew that the appraiser would come above what I paid but not to this ridiculous amount. I have no idea why appraisers do this. Insurance companies usually insure for the purchase price when it’s an expensive item. I don’t even know why I need an appraisal if USAA is going to just insure for the purchase price. I’m stuck between getting it insured correctly so
if something happens to it I will have it replaced with like kind. Emerald cuts are so much harder to get right. Like other people said..all the numbers could be right but it could turn out to be a dud. They could get me a diamond that looks good on paper but is dead in real life..I wouldn’t know this until I accepted the diamond. In this case because the appraisal is so inflated it’s going to give me a major headache to have USAA insure it. I went through this with them when I had my studs insured. I wish the appraisers would come up with true replacement costs.
My husband laughed and said to just not lose it! :lol:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I'd send the BN comps to the appraiser and politely ask her to adjust it in line with them. Or explain her reasoning if she won't. The value you can replace them today, buying retail, surely IS the retail replacement value by definition...

But yeah, just don't lose it ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results