shape
carat
color
clarity

Please give me some opinions on this cad

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I got some cards back for a 5 stone. Looks almost right but something is off, can't quite decide what. Maybe too high? Maybe too thin? I'd love some input. What can improve it, should or should I just go 3 stone. Keep in mind I really want full vertical coverage.

uploadfromtaptalk1367959280241.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367959302669.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367959317410.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1367959502135.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you mean full horizontal coverage, rather than vertical? :tongue: It does look to be set rather high. Other than that, the flow and proportions look perfect.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: ideally yes vertical and horizontal. But yeah horizontal coverage. I'm thinking maybe have the last prong on the last stone go all the way down to he shank instead of turn into the swoop part. Then fill in the area between the swoop and the prong with metal. If that makes sense. Basically a little more metal where the shank swoops up to the baskets.

Also I wonder if they can use only one prong between the first set and center stone, so they tuck under a little.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stones are the same size, I'm sure they can share prongs but given that they are of not only different sizes but set at different heights, I think the "extra" prongs are necessary.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1367960224|3442244 said:
If the stones are the same size, I'm sure they can share prongs but given that they are of not only different sizes but set at different heights, I think the "extra" prongs are necessary.

I wasnt sure sense the last set is sharing with the first set.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, the only think I would change is to lower the height so that there is no more than 2mm between the inside edge of the shank and the culet of the center stone. I think five stone bands look best when the stones hug the finger. It will also look better paired with a WB with a lower stance IMO.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree I do think it needs to be lowered. Do you think the diamonds take up too much of my finger. I want them to comfortably sit across all of the top of my finger without hitting my other digits. I think lowering the stones will help that.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Just too high but looks good. Whose the vendor?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1367962852|3442267 said:

Klass

Mayk do you think it will still be uncomfortable if lowered??

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only suggested the 2mm between finger and culet because you wanted a high set ring. My own actual preference is flat-out as low as possible. Higher set bands like this get caught on things all the time and its really annoying.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1367963353|3442272 said:

Klass

No it will be fine lower... I love mine now... I just wanted those diamonds in the gallery but in the end it was a BAD idea and DS told me but I loved the CAD's so I learned the hard way. My only saving grace was
Adam at Sareen did my new setting at cost. But still a lot more for the fancy setting and the the cost of a new one not to mention shipping and waiting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1367963485|3442275 said:
I only suggested the 2mm between finger and culet because you wanted a high set ring. My own actual preference is flat-out as low as possible. Higher set bands like this get caught on things all the time and its really annoying.

With the amount of horizontal coverage this provides I'd be content with it lower. I don't like it this height right now either. I don't want it to look like its just sitting on crop of a ring. MYbe it needs more wrap to it ?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, with a band of this style I want it to look and feel like the diamonds are wrapping around my finger. I had a vintage piece with smaller diamonds set high, and it did not look right on my hand -- five stones poking up on top rather than flowing fluidly up off my finger. When I owned the BGD Aurora band my beef was also height -- the baskets on smaller stones seem too "bracey" to me when they are longer. I much prefer a low-set style where the supports are shorter. Like the Tiffany five stones which are super low and finger hugging. Its a comfort thing! And the lower stands pairs better with wedding bands because the heights blend.

Can you go try some styles on in person?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1367963641|3442276 said:

Klass

No it will be fine lower... I love mine now... I just wanted those diamonds in the gallery but in the end it was a BAD idea and DS told me but I loved the CAD's so I learned the hard way. My only saving grace was
Adam at Sareen did my new setting at cost. But still a lot more for the fancy setting and the the cost of a new one not to mention shipping and waiting.

Do you have any pics of it reset?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1367963953|3442281 said:
For me, with a band of this style I want it to look and feel like the diamonds are wrapping around my finger. I had a vintage piece with smaller diamonds set high, and it did not look right on my hand -- five stones poking up on top rather than flowing fluidly up off my finger. When I owned the BGD Aurora band my beef was also height -- the baskets on smaller stones seem too "bracey" to me when they are longer. I much prefer a low-set style where the supports are shorter. Like the Tiffany five stones which are super low and finger hugging. Its a comfort thing! And the lower stands pairs better with wedding bands because the heights blend.

Can you go try some styles on in person?

I could if I can find the time.

I'm just wondering if I should just have BG put it in a 5 stone band like I was planning in the first place. Or if I should tell him to make it more "band like"

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1367964042|3442283 said:
Mayk|1367963641|3442276 said:

Klass

Do you have any pics of it reset?

I do but not profile. I will try and take a couple tonight.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too high! The stones need to be set way lower.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1367964613|3442299 said:
Too high! The stones need to be set way lower.
Yes for sure too high. Anything else you see wrong?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe the shank is a little thin. Looks too dainty for all those stones. Otherwise, I like it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1367965203|3442305 said:
I think maybe the shank is a little thin. Looks too dainty for all those stones. Otherwise, I like it!

I had a question on that too. I didn't want the shank too wide sense I want to wear with my thin trinity. I said 2mm

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Hey Neil! I know you feel as though you've taken a lot of critism during your journey to find your perfect ering, so please take this with the respect that is intended. I wholeheartedly support your decision to reset, you deserve to have a ring that you adore and treasure but I sense that now that the time has come that you may be waffeling again? You are questioning a three stone which, at your selected stone sizes I don't believe will give you complete horizontal coverage but would look more engagement like IMO. I'm also wondering if you've given your vendor choice enough consideration? I know others have mentioned that they have seen his work in person and that it was satisfactory and I base my opinion only on photos that Ive seen, but I cant help feeling that you would get a much nicer quality piece by working with BGD. Did they ever get back to you about the possibility of setting the stones to your desired height? I know this ring needs to satisfy you for many years so I'm just hoping that you've considered all of your options with the weight that they deserve. I know what its like to have to work within a budget, it fact I've just given a vendor the go ahead on an eternity band but I had to seriously weigh the pros and cons of using a vendor that I feel I can trust completely to produce a quality piece and a vendor that could provide me with the stone size that I was most hoping for. In the end I decided to spend a little more and go a tiny bit smaller to ensure that the ring would be a quality that I could both wear and be proud of for many years to come. Again I totally support whatever decision you make, you know your needs better than anyone, I just want you to be able to live with the decision and be thrilled with the ring for a long time to come. I know you want the project completed before your wedding but you dont need to move so fast, you have some time to contemplate. =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your stone proportions look great and the design looks good except for the height. I'd wait and see CADs with the lower baskets.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not great iphone pictures. But it should give you and idea of how low I went from my tower!

_6147.jpg

_6148.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
I also think it needs lowered. You mentioned a three stone ring, is this still an option? What's your thinking of the five compared to the three?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
christina i appreciate your input. I value your opinions on these things because i think you understand my situation more than some on here.The person I am working with, ive looked at his work, and though i wouldnt go with him for more delicate work, from what i have seen he does nice work, especially with more strait forward designs. with shipping and the cost t unset and the band with BGD, i think it would end up costing double than to go with him.

The reason I mentioned a 3 stone is that lots of people have said a 5 stone wont be engagementy enough, so i wanted some peoples opinions on a 3 stone vrs my 5 stones. Id considered it as a cost saving measure, though.

heres a really fast and dirty pic of what i think ill send back to him, as you see i remove d the cathedral. go idea? bad idea? you decide :lol:

_6150.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the height needs to be lower but I like the swoopiness of the original version, the change you made in that regard looks too chunky or something.

I'm with Christina in that I would go with BGD on this one, as I commented in your other thread.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I would share the side view of this JbEG ring. I think if you wanted to do a three stone ring you could make it really pretty with adding pave to the side like these or engraving on the side and on the shank. I personally like three stone rings for e-rings better than five stone rings, imagine this ring as a three stone with the middle stone a tad bit higher than the sides, sign me up please. :love:
(Then again, I can't figure out what I want so don't listen to me :errrr: )

img_0917-m.jpg

img_908.jpg

img_0920-m.jpg

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I like the center stone higher, but all of the diamonds a little lower (the way you've changed the cad). I don't like the filled in sides at all. Just looks clunky and chunky to me. I prefer the open look of the original for the end prongs.

liz

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results