carat
color
clarity

Please give me some opinions on this cad

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1368059011|3443128 said:
luvsdmb|1368058143|3443120 said:
Wow Niel, you poor thing are you confused by all these comments? I guess I missed it but where you planning on using BGD at one point for your ring? You mentioned something about pulling the trigger on the sidestones.
Maybe you could let me know what's going on here :confused: I am confused. Are you able to have your ring done at ERD? Have you checked with Quest? My quote from Quest was really really good. OR are you completely happy and content having it done with DK?
Catch me up please ;))

christina is right i do consider myself someone with higher standards when it comes to settings. Ideally i would like to have a custom setting made by LM or VC, but i dont have 4k for this, and i wont for a while. I have reached out to many vendors to see if they could recreate this for my meager budget. Currently I have some stones on hold at BGD, that i will buy and put in whatever setting i decide. I dont really love the prongs of the BGD, Its a somewhat boring 5 stone band setting, and it will cost me (with prong, shipping, insurance, and them unsetting my stone ) it will cost nearly twice as much as the DK one. so heres the dilemma. Neither of the settings will be my forever setting, so do i spend so much more for a setting that will be equally as "not quite right" as the DK one, just for different reasons?

Then there is ERD. Id like to go with them , but they havent gotten back with me, and i dont think it would fit my budget either....

This is the vendor that I was referring to earlier that didn't get back to me for one project and then the response was a bit 'eh!' the second time I contacted them. I've heard how competitive their pricing is, but they were almost twice as much as two other well known PS vendors I received quotes from. I was a bit disappointed because people seem to have good experiences with them and claim that their pricing is very competitive.

edit: Just to be clear, I don't think that you should go with BGD for the setting either if it isn't exactly what you want either. I just think that they may be other alternatives for you if you are feeling at all hesitant about the ones suggested.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1368059011|3443128 said:
luvsdmb|1368058143|3443120 said:
Wow Niel, you poor thing are you confused by all these comments? I guess I missed it but where you planning on using BGD at one point for your ring? You mentioned something about pulling the trigger on the sidestones.
Maybe you could let me know what's going on here :confused: I am confused. Are you able to have your ring done at ERD? Have you checked with Quest? My quote from Quest was really really good. OR are you completely happy and content having it done with DK?
Catch me up please ;))

christina is right i do consider myself someone with higher standards when it comes to settings. Ideally i would like to have a custom setting made by LM or VC, but i dont have 4k for this, and i wont for a while. I have reached out to many vendors to see if they could recreate this for my meager budget. Currently I have some stones on hold at BGD, that i will buy and put in whatever setting i decide. I dont really love the prongs of the BGD, Its a somewhat boring 5 stone band setting, and it will cost me (with prong, shipping, insurance, and them unsetting my stone ) it will cost nearly twice as much as the DK one. so heres the dilemma. Neither of the settings will be my forever setting, so do i spend so much more for a setting that will be equally as "not quite right" as the DK one, just for different reasons?

Then there is ERD. Id like to go with them , but they havent gotten back with me, and i dont think it would fit my budget either....

Since neither one is your forever setting could you just have your center diamond set and hang on to the BGD diamonds? Is your forever setting a LM or VC which would happen down the road? If the DK is a good price range for you and you already know that this is not your forever ring I say go for it and wear it as long as you need to and later down the road you can have it done in your forever setting.
ERD surely will get back with you, maybe you should contact them again. Quest quoted me in 14K, 18K and Platinum and the price was so good I will probably go with Platinum, if that tells you anything ;-) ;-)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1368060251|3443142 said:
This is the vendor that I was referring to earlier that didn't get back to me for one project and then the response was a bit 'eh!' the second time I contacted them. I've heard how competitive their pricing is, but they were almost twice as much as two other well known PS vendors I received quotes from. I was a bit disappointed because people seem to have good experiences with them and claim that their pricing is very competitive.

Proof that vendors don't treat us equally :razz:

I guess it's just like life when we have closer relationships .. we get better service. I guess this is why we just stick with who we are comfortable with.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mico|1368034774|3442852 said:
jjspierx|1368020658|3442654 said:
Just a quick mockup of your original design, only lowered while keeping the cathedral.

1_135.jpg

+1

Very nice, I like the heights and the shank cathedral.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1368061045|3443152 said:
Christina...|1368060251|3443142 said:

Proof that vendors don't treat us equally :razz:

I guess it's just like life when we have closer relationships .. we get better service. I guess this is why we just stick with who we are comfortable with.

You know I've heard this said before. I assumed that the project I contacted them about, was just one that they would rather not attempt, and it was before Christmas so I thought that it was possible they just didn't want to take on another project with a deadline. They were fine when I contacted them the second time,it was just sort of a lukewarm conversation, whereas another vendor(whom I've never worked with before either) seemed excited to be working with me and went out of their way to accommodate me. *shrug* yeah I guess I don't really understand it either.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so stressful to me, part of me just wants to say forget about it and get that ritani halo again. :???:

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
What size is your center diamond? What's stressing you the most? What does your SO say?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1368100264|3443299 said:
This is so stressful to me, part of me just wants to say forget about it and get that ritani halo again. :???:

Maybe you should buy a CZ ring and wear that around to feel it out? It would suck if you spent all this money and it wasn't what you were hoping...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The quality is what's stressing me out I guess. I thought his quality would be fine but now I'm concerned what if I don't like it. Christina is right I do have high standards when it cones to settings. And I really can't spend too much because I have a set budget and if I go over it it cuts I to my SOs budget for his ring. And he's been so good about this I really want to get him exactly what he wants.

I've been wearing my ring with my trinity band all day to see how it feel. Trying to imagine it with more side stones. And I look at it and just think "golly I love the quality of my Trinity, and this solitaire looks so good with it....

So its like, maybe I should just spend my money on a really high quality solitaire, sense I know quality is import to me.

Or maybe I should put it in the same setting as my pear was in sense we know that pairs well with my trinity.

Christina has really helped me out I'm trying to sit back and really think about what is most important to me, and what I'd say to someone else in my situation. BecauseI really do want full finger coverage. But do I really want to give up quality in the setting for quantity of diamonds?

I mean from the beginning makes sense to say "duh diamonds now setting down the road. But I'm about to turn 24, that's not very old at all (I tell myself).

Its perfectly normal for a gal my age to have a simple solitaire, and add on down the road.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are very particular about workmanship and quality, I'd leave it in the current solitaire setting, save up more, then go all out for a reset when you have a special occasion (anniversary or something similar). No matter which way you look at it, if it's not what makes you happy, regardless of how pretty it looks to others, it is money wasted to you. Yes, 24 is still young. You don't want to know how old I am. :lol:

As a side track of sorts, I've had little success with BGD and ERD, getting slow or no response at all on the numerous occasions I've contacted them. Must be just me though because I've seen oodles of successful projects for happy customers here on PS.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1368107854|3443377 said:
If you are very particular about workmanship and quality, I'd leave it in the current solitaire setting, save up more, then go all out for a reset when you have a special occasion (anniversary or something similar). No matter which way you look at it, if it's not what makes you happy, regardless of how pretty it looks to others, it is money wasted to you. Yes, 24 is still young. You don't want to know how old I am. :lol:

As a side track of sorts, I've had little success with BGD and ERD, getting slow or no response at all on the numerous occasions I've contacted them. Must be just me though because I've seen oodles of successful projects for happy customers here on PS.

It won't stay in its current solitaire that's for certain. I mean I could put it in a really lovely solitaire I'm completely happy with, but I mean I've always heard PSOE here say "buy the most diamond you can and save up for the setting down the road....".

Just seems like that doesn't seem applicable to me based on the comments I've received. Which I apprdciate, because its important I get this right, I just though I was going about this the right way. Now I'm not so sure. Bah rings are hard. :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure you'll be 100% happy with that solitaire that you like? I thought you wanted a full finger coverage which no solitaire can do?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered a diamond wrap? I have the vatche U113 and am planning to get a 2 stone wrap (like Bliss) later down the line when I want more bling.

This way, you can have both!!!

I would post pictures, but my tapatalk has decided to 1. not show pictures anymore, and 2. not allow my to post from my phone. Highly aggravating.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mico|1368108587|3443383 said:
Have you considered a diamond wrap? I have the vatche U113 and am planning to get a 2 stone wrap (like Bliss) later down the line when I want more bling.

This way, you can have both!!!

I would post pictures, but my tapatalk has decided to 1. not show pictures anymore, and 2. not allow my to post from my phone. Highly aggravating.

That might be an option. Plus that way if I go for a simple solitaire that's high quality I'm not waisting it by changing it 5 years down the line.
Plus my tapatalk was being terrible but I updated it this morning and now it works!

Chrono. I'm not sure I'll be 100% happy with any of the options. If I leave it in a solitaire that its in now I'm 50%, put it in a 5 stone with a low quality setting or a high quality solitaire on its own, 90%..... so all the options seem to have their pros and coins

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Yay! Deleted and re-downloaded, so it works!

Bliss's ring wrap

imageuploadedbytapatalk1368109572.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1368109582.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Niel,can you show us a picture with your band?

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Mico|1368109592|3443395 said:
Yay! Deleted and re-downloaded, so it works!

Bliss's ring wrap

OOHHH I like this!!!! What designer is it?

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Vatche designed both the solitaire and the wrap. Solitaire is the U113

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Now if they only made a four stone wrap :naughty: problem solved Niel!!!

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
I think it was a custom job. It might be worth a look. Bliss (and I) went through IDJ

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1368111348|3443416 said:
luvsdmb said:
Niel,can you show us a picture with your band?
sure

Very pretty!!! You have so many options, take some time and let it come to you. It will, probably when you least expect it.
I do really like that 3 stone ring that belongs to Bliss. Is that something you would consider, maybe you could use your side diamonds you have and maybe it's possible to make a four stone wrap? Have you checked with IDJ yet?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've also contacted idj but they don't seem to be in my budget for the quality I wanted.

I was in contact with JA and they can't do a five stone but could do a three stone in my budget. Problems. Is these are the only sides they have, and I dont know if the size difference is noticable.

uploadfromtaptalk1368114676541.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1368114692488.jpg

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Quest phone number 703-204-0111 :naughty:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size difference between the two based on the two measurements given are 0.09 mm and 0.07 mm. Can you see a 0.1 mm difference next to each other? Unlikely unless you stare hard.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know why people are talking you out of the Klass 5 stone setting (well, I do, but that's another story :naughty: ).

But honestly, I don't think there will be any quality concerns with it. DK takes care of his customers. Like you mentioned, it's a pretty simple, straight forward setting. Nearly anyone could do it. So I'm sure it will be fine. You seemed soooo excited about it!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619 said:
I don't know why people are talking you out of the Klass 5 stone setting (well, I do, but that's another story :naughty: ).

But honestly, I don't think there will be any quality concerns with it. DK takes care of his customers. Like you mentioned, it's a pretty simple, straight forward setting. Nearly anyone could do it. So I'm sure it will be fine. You seemed soooo excited about it!

I was real excited about it. I'm just so gun shy about the whole thing. After my first custom experience being the WORST then having to start over because of other poor decisions ......

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any way Klass could send you a sample setting, or some closeup photos of similar settings he's already made? Vs. just pictures his clients have posted on the various forums, I mean. That might be very helpful.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1368122965|3443494 said:
Is there any way Klass could send you a sample setting, or some closeup photos of similar settings he's already made? Vs. just pictures his clients have posted on the various forums, I mean. That might be very helpful.

Agree wholeheartedly!

Let me ask you, do you have an issue with the quality of the JA setting you have? If not, why would you think you would have a problem with the quality of the DK setting? It may not be VC, but neither is the setting you have right now either and surely his work would at least be on par with JA. A sample would certainly answer that question.

My only advice is this, and I give it reluctantly because you have a lot of advice coming at you and it's becoming counterproductive to your making a decision. But I see two possibilities, maybe 3 after reading through all this.

- Suck it up, send the stone back and get as LARGE a stone as you can with the money you have from the sale of the pear and the stone you have, either through JA or elsewhere like BGD. You are still within your 60 days. Past a carat if you can. Stick it back in the temp setting (or another one). Yes you may have to eat that cost and get a new temp but you can sell the other one if they can't change the head. Save up for the Ritani again so you have your past 1ct mark plus halo. A setting you love with quality you can live with, that you know looks good, and a stone size you can be happy with for a while or longer.

-Stop listening to advice and go with your heart if you decide you REALLY do want a 5 stone with the choices you have made.

- If you are fine with the quality of JA's settings, consider the 3 stone. Get larger sides then.3 if you can.

Please keep in mind though that I am just not one of those people who thinks a handforged setting is a must have, especially when it's probably going to cost you more than your stones or near that amount.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had considered returning this to get a larger stone. But I'd only have like 4500 for the stone, which would only get me about a ct in a K, and I'd still be in a simple setting. So its a cost/ benefit that I just don't think is for me. JA has said they could do that three stone with those side stones in 18k for under 2k. Which seems like might just be the best option. For these reasons:

I'm following the general rule of "worry about getting the diamonds first, upgrade the setting down the road" because these three stones would really be the largest chuck money toward a 5 stone down the road. Sure I don't have the last set, but those would still be very reasonable even in 5 years when the diamond prices are high. Also its in 18k. if I wanted that from DK he would charge an extra 200. Also I won't have to pay for shipping or "unsetting" or anything like that.

I'm still really attached to the 5 stone though. I'm just feeling so worried over the quality. I just cannot go though one more setting problem or reset right now.

So I guess do I settle for a little nicer 3 stone and add the extra set when I reset it in 5 years or go for the setting of questionable quality right now?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results