shape
carat
color
clarity

Please advise...

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all the links. much appreciated. The company I will buy from only supply GIA which is why I'm looking for a diamond with that certification. The AGS ones do look amazing though and it takes all of the stress out as you know you're getting a top stone!

Can I ask your opinion on the ones I've posted above please?

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they both look fine in terms of likely HCA score, so both should satisfy the Cut criterion within the 4Cs just fine.

Which you choose will come down to which of the remaining three Cs you are prioritising.

Carat? Pick the larger.
Colour? Pick the D.
Clarity? Pick the VVS1 if you are worried the VS1 won't be eye-clean to your satisfaction.

My preferences won't be your preferences, so you need to decide what you would prefer to prioritise and then decide on that basis.

Of course, sometimes a stone just calls to you, heart-over-head, and in that case you should follow your heart.

act1980

Shiny_Rock
Thank you. I've also been looking at the AGS diamond guidelines chart but I can't find them for different table sizes. Any idea where I can find them?

Attachments

• 6mm-58Guidelines (1).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 15

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I've also been looking at the AGS diamond guidelines chart but I can't find them for different table sizes. Any idea where I can find them?

I thought you were looking at GIA only??

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know where the AGS tables are - they've been posted previously but I'm not sure if they're even online now (if they ever were 'officially').

If you are using the HCA tool (the grading of which is in the search results using the Search tool I posted earlier, saving you looking at each stone individually) you don't really need to use anything else IMO, unless you are looking to specifically target certain crown angles or table sizes, for example (and as I understand it).

act1980

Shiny_Rock
I don't know where the AGS tables are - they've been posted previously but I'm not sure if they're even online now (if they ever were 'officially').

If you are using the HCA tool (the grading of which is in the search results using the Search tool I posted earlier, saving you looking at each stone individually) you don't really need to use anything else IMO, unless you are looking to specifically target certain crown angles or table sizes, for example (and as I understand it).

The reason I stopped using the HCA tool was because of the comments in this thread relating to the stone I enquired about. Even though it got a good HCA score - 1.1 (TIC) people noted the shallow crown (32.5) and said it would look flat. So I couldn't understand the point of the tool if the stone wasn't deemed very good by peoples standards on here yet scored high on HCA.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I stopped using the HCA tool was because of the comments in this thread relating to the stone I enquired about. Even though it got a good HCA score - 1.1 (TIC) people noted the shallow crown (32.5) and said it would look flat. So I couldn't understand the point of the tool if the stone wasn't deemed very good by peoples standards on here yet scored high on HCA.

The HCA tool is used to check the crown and pavilion angles are complementary and work with each other - a wide range of C and P angles work together, including those outside of generally recommended PS proportions, so the tool also includes those (such as the 32.5 degree crown stone you found).

Have you read this thread? It may be useful in helping work out the ranges you need to look at:

act1980

Shiny_Rock
The HCA tool is used to check the crown and pavilion angles are complementary and work with each other - a wide range of C and P angles work together, including those outside of generally recommended PS proportions, so the tool also includes those (such as the 32.5 degree crown stone you found).

Have you read this thread? It may be useful in helping work out the ranges you need to look at:

I hadn’t seen that. Really useful. Thanks for posting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results