shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking sidestones for red spinel

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Another 2 carat with trilliants that are tall.

jackabraham_2caratruby_rmounted4_09.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
This has always been one of my favs, but my oval is not the right shape for this.

bonhams_artdeco.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the last ring you posted, imagining how good it would look with a rectangular pink/red stone like a Rubellite.

Thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1426076900|3845469 said:
Love the last ring you posted, imagining how good it would look with a rectangular pink/red stone like a Rubellite.

Thanks for sharing!

DK :love:
I was dreaming of making this with an emerald one day :naughty:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the last ring you posted. But your spinel is too chubby to pull of the look I think. It will look great with your future emerald :naughty:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426075321|3845455 said:
Another 2 carat with trilliants that are tall.

I love this look and the look of the step cut diamonds next to the red oval stone. My preference, visually, for a rounder stone would not to be to put big, rounded side stones (like half moons) up against its sides. I would put smaller side stones next to it. I tried it with my own stones and that it what I liked, at least. But as I said above, your own heart should rule!

PS-The trilliants might look very good if they were in the correct proportion to your stone. Would you consider trilliants?

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1425987799|3844806 said:
To my eyes this is a great example of a stone with a soft outline, combined with the art deco feel of step cut sides :love:

I agree with Acinom about this. What didn't you like about this design?

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

pregcurious.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ABGF. I like the design in a photo, but on the hand, I think there will be a lot of metal shank showing on either side of the gemstones. I prefer a 5 stone that gives full finger coverage. This one uses larger half moons that are less straight and curve more towards the stone. I think I could use the 0.40 step cuts for this look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUKpF38Ulk

Tgal's 5-stone uses smaller sidestones, and her center is 1.5 carat pad. I think I could use the 0.26 step cuts for this look:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/[/URL]

lm_0.jpg

tgal.png

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Okay, emailed David about sourcing bullets with the 0.40 step cut pair and sent the pick of the diamond Leon Mege ring. At the end of the day, I liked how curved and narrow they are, and they look the least "ear"-like to me. I also drew the size of everything on a piece of paper. When I tried to draw in double prongs, I realized the prongs would look very prominent right next to the smaller 0.26 sidestones. I could almost flip a coin for this, and I hope I made the right choice for me.

For a straight 3-stone, with single prongs, I may have chosen the 0.26. I will never know :)

On another note, I found this and had to share it from Lang's. I like tall sidestones when a ring is tapered with the last pair of diamonds.

lang_38kring.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add this, but I also realized, with the diamond three stone, the position of the double prongs is high, because of the prongs for the tall side stones. I prefer this over putting double prongs on Tgal's ring. I think Tgal's ring is perfect as it is, with smaller side stones and single prongs, but I want double prongs.

I also loved the highness of the trilliants I posted.

Who knows if I did the right thing.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaah! How exciting for you. I am sure you made the right decision for your stone and your aesthetic style. I cannot wait to see the result. David will create a fabulous ring for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426086800|3845547 said:
Thanks ABGF. I like the design in a photo, but on the hand, I think there will be a lot of metal shank showing on either side of the gemstones. I prefer a 5 stone that gives full finger coverage. This one uses larger half moons that are less straight and curve more towards the stone. I think I could use the 0.40 step cuts for this look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUKpF38Ulk

Tgal's 5-stone uses smaller sidestones, and her center is 1.5 carat pad. I think I could use the 0.26 step cuts for this look:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ps-gift-finally-my-amelia-ring-pad-by-richard-wise-setting-by-leon-mege.127094/[/URL]

The proportions on both those rings are very pleasing to the eye and I will take your word on the lack of finger coverage on the other ring I liked. ;)) (Too bad, though. As you said, in the photo it was very pretty.)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
AGBF, I am not sure about that ring, but with the pairs I showed, the shank would be open in a 3 stone. I like that look especially in erings when they are worn with a plain band. I am planning on wearing my ring with an eternity band (sometimes) and prefer the diamonds to go all the across. So many things to consider..,

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Elle, me too. This is such a learning process for me.

The next ring (jadeite) will have smaller (proportionally) side stones, so it will be interesting to see what I like over the long run.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
ABGF, I forgot to add, that it's difficult to determine from that photo alone what the ring would look like on the hand. It may be that the center stone is much larger than mine, in which case not much shank may show when worn.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good to hear a decision has been made, and I too can't wait to see the finished ring.

I have saved the pics of the EC emerald from Lang, and the oval ruby with baguette sides, for future projects. :naughty:

DK :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1426128888|3845898 said:
Good to hear a decision has been made, and I too can't wait to see the finished ring.

I have saved the pics of the EC emerald from Lang, and the oval ruby with baguette sides, for future projects. :naughty:

Those are great rings . They're what convinced me that I gravitate towards a diamond pattern that meets up all the prongs next to the center stone, and tapers from there. I see those rings, and I just have ~that~ feeling. I can't explain it.

I've had the pic of the ruby ring for a few years, and have studied it. The shape of the center stone is almost rectangular. I'm not sure if it's a cushion or an oval. It's a peculiar shape, but it is perfect in that ring. One day, I am totally executing those diamond steps, with a similarly shaped stone.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has been fun to watch. I hope to stay tuned in throughout the entire process!!! Your good taste and judgment makes it far more fun than the average ring-making project...as does the choice of materials (in my opinion), of course!

Deb :wavey:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious,

Slight thread-jack, however, what is the size of the EC emerald in the 5-stone ring please?

Thanks for your help in advance.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, AGBF. I really enjoyed your spinel setting thread.

DK the emerald is 5.11 carats, which is why the side stones are so small. Considering it's an emerald, which is less dense than diamond, the center stone is really big.

When I saw the ring in a bigger picture than posted, I thought, wow it has a huge window. :eh: Thanks PS! :rodent:
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-1221

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1426162440|3845984 said:
This has been fun to watch. I hope to stay tuned in throughout the entire process!!! Your good taste and judgment makes it far more fun than the average ring-making project...as does the choice of materials (in my opinion), of course!

Deb :wavey:

I agree with Deb!

(PS Deb, could you email me if you still have my address??)

cheers--Sharon

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Sharon!

Man, I listed (last week) and just unlisted the gemstone I was going to sell. I went to take a picture of it on my hand, it called out to me. I'm not ready to let go of my other stones yet.

I really hope you ladies are in for more setting threads because momma is going to be setting a lot more rings at this rate.

I have 12 loose stones to set, not counting some turquoise and welo opal. I don't know if that's good or bad. Probably bad.

shulaibaoma

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1425991353|3844818 said:
I found this, which makes me like the 0.40 step cuts. I also like how the 0.40 are more elongated, instead of wide. If I went this direction, it would be a 3-stone.

Hem. Haw.

Wow, this one is amazing.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426166903|3846023 said:
Thanks, AGBF. I really enjoyed your spinel setting thread.

DK the emerald is 5.11 carats, which is why the side stones are so small. Considering it's an emerald, which is less dense than diamond, the center stone is really big.

When I saw the ring in a bigger picture than posted, I thought, wow it has a huge window. :eh: Thanks PS! :rodent:
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/30-1-1221

Thanks for the link, and it is gorgeous! :love:

I am re-thinking about how to set my RH square with corners Amethyst, and this ring springs to mind. However, the setting will cost more due to the diamond side stones.

I guess I shall wait until I have the stone in my hand to see how I feel about it, as in whether I should wear it as often as I can, or as an occasional ring.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1426182210|3846142 said:
I am re-thinking about how to set my RH square with corners Amethyst, and this ring springs to mind. However, the setting will cost more due to the diamond side stones.

I guess I shall wait until I have the stone in my hand to see how I feel about it, as in whether I should wear it as often as I can, or as an occasional ring.

I also have an amethyst (cabochon) but I was concerned about wearing it often because it's quartz and would be prone to scratching. It may be more protective and cost effective to get a stock halo, assuming your amethyst is a standard calibrated size. I bet IDJ could find one at a good price.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
No update. Just waiting for matches on the inside and outside pairs for the 5-stone ring. I didn't appreciate how much more complicated a 5-stone would be versus a 3-stone. David is great.

My stone looks so dark in all these pictures. It makes me feel a little badly, which is not logical, but there it is.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1426248427|3846527 said:
No update. Just waiting for matches on the inside and outside pairs for the 5-stone ring. I didn't appreciate how much more complicated a 5-stone would be versus a 3-stone. David is great.

My stone looks so dark in all these pictures. It makes me feel a little badly, which is not logical, but there it is.
Don't! Unless you're taking a picture to directly show the stone looking it's best (or at least decent) most gem pictures show the stone looking it's worst. Or at least, nothing like what you see in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results