shape
carat
color
clarity

Picking sidestones for red spinel

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg I haven't read the whole thread so this may already have been mentioned (ignore me if it has)!

I think you've got really tiny fingers haven't you? With that in mind, the thing I would worry about with a 5 stone ring is if I would be able to close my fingers and whether the end stones would get in the way. Of course the way around this is to mount everything really high but it's difficult to visualise then what the final look will be. Does your jeweller have a similar 5 stone ring that you could try on for proportions?

It's going to look beautiful and I can't wait to see it! For what it's worth, I really liked the 0.46 on the first page but I seemed to be in the minority :lol:

BTW the 5 stone baguette ring you posted, I have one of those with a Ruby and it's definitely an eye catcher but I think you'd be able to use it as a knuckle duster with your tiny fingers! x

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, SapphireStyle. I ended up choosing the 0.26 because the 2nd pair came faster for it instead of the 0.40. Also, seeing the suite together made me realize that I prefer the smaller side stones in a 5-stone.

Thanks,Arcadian. The band will be 2.2 mm at the widest part (the bottom).

LD, thanks for your vote. The 0.46 was brilliant cut and the 0.26 (and 0.40) is step cut. i am still hoping to see the suite together to make the final call. I have a size 4 ring finger so perhaps this will be okay in terms of being big enough.

I cannot do a halo with this stone because it will look too dark ( for me). I was originally thinking of doing a halo-like setting, but with a lot of space between the stone and the halo, but it would have looked too big and cocktail ring like to wear to work. I will do that setting with a different stone for occasional wear, I think.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a long shot but how about a bypass ring with another stone of the same size and shape but with complimentary/opposite colouration? Two 8 x 6 mm cushions in a single ring should provide sufficient finger coverage.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My apologies if this is already in your thread, but isn't tgals pad 1.5cts? I was just looking st her thread. Shouldn't that be around a similar size to your stone? Plus I think it said her finger was5.5? I know in your 8x6 thread you were looking for pics of 5 stones.

Sorry if I'm wrong about her dimensions. I couldn't find it while digging though her old stone thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Finger size 5.75
Stone size: 1.52 ct
Stone measurements: ?

leonimg_0560.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a little more digging, the cushion in the pic above is 6.2x5.9 so compare that to the oval....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looked and looked but there's no mm information other than the fact that the 1.52 ct oval is very spready.

2755-5-st_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1427204611|3851730 said:
Looked and looked but there's no mm information other than the fact that the 1.52 ct oval is very spready.
Did you see what the size was of the half moons. I thought they were .31 total,but now I can't find where I read that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And preg, I'm not sure if you've ever seen this, but the website gemsize.org might help

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1427205009|3851732 said:
Chrono|1427204611|3851730 said:
Did you see what the size was of the half moons. I thought they were .31 total,but now I can't find where I read that.
On PInterest.

Elyxia

Rough_Rock
Niel|1427204364|3851727 said:
I did a little more digging, the cushion in the pic above is 6.2x5.9 so compare that to the oval....

Hope this helps, here's a crudely photoshopped estimate of that cushion on the oval:

I must say I love the final pick and the 5 stone look and think it'll end up looking amazing.

_28278.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elyxia|1427236100|3851983 said:
Niel|1427204364|3851727 said:

Hope this helps, here's a crudely photoshopped estimate of that cushion on the oval:

I must say I love the final pick and the 5 stone look and think it'll end up looking amazing.

Teamwork! Lol. Take it for what it is, as there are all sorts of variables like setting hight, angle of the photo...but at least it can't be that much larger.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, Niel, Chrono and Elyxia!!! I am so touched that would take the time to do that.

It looks like Tgals pad is the same size! Her stone is 1.52 and mine is 2, but I remember her writing that the cut of her pad was on the shallow side. I think I will like this look, but I have to admit that a teensy bit bigger would have been great. When I bought this stone, it seemed huge, but now I have CSSS.

David made a wax model that I'll see on Thursday(!) so that should help a lot. All my other stones to set are bigger, or are light enough to be haloed.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there really any other way you'd be happy setting this? I know you won't halo it, so that's out... And if it won't get haloed, nothings going to make the stone look bigger. Is it a matter of the whole ring bring too small or the stone being too small? Because. You could always pair it with big ovals in a three stone if its a matter of the ring being bigger. But that won't make the stone bigger either. So if its just the size of the stone, I'd set it in your favorite setting and just accept this as a little beauty. And if the 5 stone is your favorite setting for it, there you go

Eta: I say little beauty. But with your finger size and the mm size of the stone, I think its a lovely size. Shoot my finger is a 7.5 and I wear a 5 stone with a 6mm round.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Looks like TGal's is around the 8x6 number too. Keep in mind that stones tend to look a little bit bigger once set too!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Good question Niel. I am probably being overly thorough in my assessment because I've learned the hard way to be careful about custom setting. I think I am also used to seeing big honkers on PS. I may love it when I see it Sat...2 days away!

That reminds me, the other option would be to do a setting like the one you had for your chrysoberyl. I will wait.

ElleW, thanks for pointing that out.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Preg, i'm like dying here that you're worried about finger coverage on your itty bitty size 4.5 finger. my finger is nearly double that, so I don't think you have too many worries :tongue:

I think you need a tshirt that says go big or go home :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1427242663|3852037 said:
Good question Niel. I am probably being overly thorough in my assessment because I've learned the hard way to be careful about custom setting. I think I am also used to seeing big honkers on PS. I may love it when I see it Sat...2 days away!

That reminds me, the other option would be to do a setting like the one you had for your chrysoberyl. I will wait.

ElleW, thanks for pointing that out.

I thought that only happened on the diamond side of town! Lol.

I've got high hopes it fits the bill for you. Can't wait to hear what you think!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian, you made me laugh.

Niel, there's a risk of SS just being on PS.

I am on the train to LA and it follows the coast. It is so beautiful.

_28320.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1427384465|3852717 said:
Arcadian, you made me laugh.

Niel, there's a risk of SS just being on PS.

I am on the train to LA and it follows the coast. It is so beautiful.

beautiful!

and dang, i thought you guys just had color envy over here. GSS too? its a PS is a dangerous place. :doh:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Alas I am now in New Orleans. David was great and the wax model gave me some comfort. The stone looks much bigger in the wax mold with its friends.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wax model with poor lighting but it does the job:

_28350.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1427424347|3853048 said:
Wax model with poor lighting but it does the job:
Shoot I feel like its huge!. Did you make any decision on it?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Niel. It's full speed ahead. The stones are just sitting on it, not necessarily in the right position, but it gives you an idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good! :appl:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Looks fantastic and huge!! :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
YAAAAASSSSSS I love it! Thats some super finger coverage! :love:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1427458984|3853172 said:
Looks fantastic and huge!! :appl:
Agreed. I think its the perfect size for a ring to wear daily. Big but not clunky.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great with excellent finger coverage!

DK :love:

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yay! What color metal are you doing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results