shape
carat
color
clarity

Pick a pear please

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Looking to buy my wife a pear in the next couple of months. Plan is to put it in a simple solitaire for our 9th anniversary then let her design a setting for it to be completed for our 10th anniversary.

I need help bc I have a small budget(relatively speaking) but want to get her something that faces up big (as in 7-8mm if possible).

My budget is 7-9k for the stone in a simple 14k setting.
Want to go with a warmer stone in the H-J and S1/S2 (eyeclean) to get the most bang for my buck. She wants big and sparkly. I don't think she will mind some internal inclusions as long as it still sparkles and you can't see them by looking at it.

I have no idea what to be looking for as far as a pear goes bc I was looking at cushions previously.

Any help searching (and finding) me a great pear would be much appreciated!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to show you a halo pear somebody put up in the Show Me The Bling forum yesterday; it's a beauty!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-is-finished-but-not-yet-on-my-finger.224529/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-is-finished-but-not-yet-on-my-finger.224529/[/URL]

It's an antique pear, like the one I linked you to. Re size, all I can tell you is that a ring that ends up being 11 x 9mm is a very substantial ring. Don't get too caught up with ct weight. If it's size she wants, then you need to go with dimensions.

I'm not a fan of the stone you posted. It looks mushy on both ends and the bowtie in the middle is substantial. I know your wife is looking for size, but it should also sparkle nicely and give you good light return.

I'm sure people will give some other examples and I'll try to get back later also. But - be aware - the fancy cuts almost always need to be seen in person. I really would read the write up on the pear I linked you to and look at ALL the photos - including the video for an idea on performance. Or you could call Grace and ask her thoughts on the stone. What size is your wife's current ring? And what size are her fingers? That will affect how she sees her new ring as much as anything else; I have large fingers, and a ct on me looks like 1/2 a ct on a woman with smaller fingers.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469793768|4060485 said:
I just wanted to show you a halo pear somebody put up in the Show Me The Bling forum yesterday; it's a beauty!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-is-finished-but-not-yet-on-my-finger.224529/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-is-finished-but-not-yet-on-my-finger.224529/[/URL]

It's an antique pear, like the one I linked you to. Re size, all I can tell you is that a ring that ends up being 11 x 9mm is a very substantial ring. Don't get too caught up with ct weight. If it's size she wants, then you need to go with dimensions.

I'm not a fan of the stone you posted. It looks mushy on both ends and the bowtie in the middle is substantial. I know your wife is looking for size, but it should also sparkle nicely and give you good light return.

I'm sure people will give some other examples and I'll try to get back later also. But - be aware - the fancy cuts almost always need to be seen in person. I really would read the write up on the pear I linked you to and look at ALL the photos - including the video for an idea on performance. Or you could call Grace and ask her thoughts on the stone. What size is your wife's current ring? And what size are her fingers? That will affect how she sees her new ring as much as anything else; I have large fingers, and a ct on me looks like 1/2 a ct on a woman with smaller fingers.

Thank you so much for all of your input. I actually emailed Grace last night after I saw your stone and asked her about it so hopefully I will jear back from her today.

I know whatever setting my wife comes up with have a halo so she will get more size there but she will be wearing it as a solitaire for a year so I don't want it to look underwhelming in the meantime.

She wears a band now and it is a 7.5 but i had it sized last night when stopped to look and it was 7.25. When she held uo the 1 carat to her fingers she thought they looked tiny. I was really hoping to find something that had a lot of finger coverage to make her feel like it is something big...if that makes sense?

Yours is definitely the front runner...I just wish it was a bit bigger (don't care about weight, speaking dimension wise).

Thanks again!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so this one is bigger 10.22x6.52. It is slightly over budget at $9030. I think you can get a code for $100 off but I'm not sure how.
(we could figure it out though if interested). You said you didnt think your wife would mind a little inclusion. You would need to ask
JA about how eye-clean it is. Request an aset which they can only do if it is in the NY area.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.52-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-1765036

Color - this is an E. The thing with fancy cuts is that you need to find a stone with a decent cut and hopefully find the color and
clarity acceptable. Fancy cuts are not like round brilliants where you can pretty much say I'll take a J/SI1 and boom you find
a small handful of well cuts stones in your specs. With fancy cuts you have to look at cut first then color/clarity come second.

I'll keep looking. The simplest setting at JA runs $180 FYI.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

icehitter

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1469796740|4060505 said:
I was just looking there. I think my hopes of finding her something over the 7mm widths are a long shot. I think she is going to want more width than length to cover the finger only bc I know she hates a long marquise. Is it called a chunky pear?

Roughly how many mm do you gain with a halo setting? If we start at something close to 7x10mm can she realistically finish with something 9/10 x 12/13? Clearly I don't know much about this!

I really appreciate all your help!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter|1469798024|4060512 said:
I think she is going to want more width than length to cover the finger only bc I know she hates a long marquise. Is it called a chunky pear?

I lucked out with an antique chunky pear. I think they are much more charming that skinny long ones. Pics are on page two of this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-pear.222082/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-pear.222082/page-2[/URL]

I would call Ilya and ask him if he can find another like this. It is 1.59 carats, and is a K with blue florescence. Blue florescence and K color face up white, so you could def go with a K if the florescence lifts the color. This stone was only $4,500 :shock: If you can find something close to this, it would leave you PLENTY for an amazing setting or halo. You can also call love affair diamonds and old world diamonds and see if they could source anything for you.

This is the setting I had made for it. It gives a LOT of finger coverage but doesn't overwhelm the stone:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-ring-is-done-bespoke-halo-by-lad-cvb.224266/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-ring-is-done-bespoke-halo-by-lad-cvb.224266/page-2[/URL]

I think a split shank balances a pear very nicely and gives more coverage, IMHO. I would definitely reach out to OWD, LAD, and Ilya at DIamondzone. They get old cuts in all the time, and it doesn't hurt to ask!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Request an aset on this one. The pear looks squished in the image. Dont think it is quite that fat at 1.53 ratio but will be more on
the fatter side. It is big though at 10.47x6.86.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8429494-1.80-carat-Pear-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

Edit...this one may be nice also. I hesitate to go down to a J though. It may show color in it's tip. That would be something to ask
B2C. The faceting pattern on this one looks like it could be a nice stone.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8081259-1.61-carat-Pear-diamond-J-color-VVS1-clarity.aspx

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1469796153|4060504 said:
Ok, so this one is bigger 10.22x6.52. It is slightly over budget at $9030. I think you can get a code for $100 off but I'm not sure how.
(we could figure it out though if interested). You said you didnt think your wife would mind a little inclusion. You would need to ask
JA about how eye-clean it is. Request an aset which they can only do if it is in the NY area.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.52-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-1765036

Color - this is an E. The thing with fancy cuts is that you need to find a stone with a decent cut and hopefully find the color and
clarity acceptable. Fancy cuts are not like round brilliants where you can pretty much say I'll take a J/SI1 and boom you find
a small handful of well cuts stones in your specs. With fancy cuts you have to look at cut first then color/clarity come second.

tyty333 -

I came back to add this very diamond - then saw your post!

Icehitter - this is a better one than the one you linked to before. For what it's worth, I have fingers that are 7 1/4 and length will do as much for a large finger as width will. Her finger is probably the best part of 20mm across, so there's not really a lot of difference between 7mm and 6.5 (your average 1ct round size) as far as proportion goes. You have NO chance of covering that width unless her fingers were much smaller, and her diamond was massive.

On the other hand, would she have any interest in a 3 stone ring? If width is what you want, that would do it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. With your budget, the largest center stone you could reasonably afford in a 3 stone would be 1 ct, and even though it stretched from side to side, I just don't think that would do it for her.

Alternately, if you do a pave band, you extend the look of your ring width-ways, and that helps. But either way, it's not really a case of how much width it covers, it's a case of how much surface area it takes up. A longer ring has the illusion of splitting the finger width in half, which, while not giving coverage, makes the finger appear longer and slimmer. And a halo'd diamond of the size to which we're referring you will give you at least 9mm coverage side to side anyway. 9mm is a lot! And the 1.52 E SI1 stone, set in a halo, would be around 13mm long!! That's a WHOLE LOT of ring! Your wife needs to look slightly longer term - to the time when it's set. One year of patience with a smaller stone than she thinks is ideal is nothing compared to a lifetime of good finger coverage. And she will get a LOT more coverage from a halo setting than from you upping the ctw of the center stone; in fact, many different size ctw's of stones look roughly the same once halo'd.

For your info - most halo settings add about (and it varies and I'm going low here for the sake of being conservative) 2.5mm in total width and length. Definitely changes the look of a ring.

Keep in mind, because of the cut, a pear concentrates color on its ends. For that reason, I would not suggest going below a G color (and for myself, I'd try to stay more E/F) unless your wife has specifically stated she wants a warm looking color.

Again - what was her original e-ring's size/style? I apologize if you've already mentioned this - I couldn't see it.

ETA The benefits of going with the diamond Grace is currently holding is that you'd be able to afford to set it immediately. There's a lot of appeal in that and would address the size issue straight away.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Ok going to check those out now. I forgot I snapped a pic of a cushion on her hand last night since I've been in pear mode. We asked them for the biggest elongated one they had in the store and she had a 7.3 x 8.4, roughly 2 carats I think...I just remember thinking I needed something wide.

Horrible shot and equally horrible diamond but my goal last night was strictly seeing if she liked the pear cut.
What do you all think...will a 6mm width look too small?

20160729_095538.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree Mrs blop...I like the faceting pattern on that stone and it is big...just wish it were definitely eye-clean.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469800755|4060542 said:
tyty333|1469796153|4060504 said:

tyty333 -

I came back to add this very diamond - then saw your post!

Icehitter - this is a better one than the one you linked to before. For what it's worth, I have fingers that are 7 1/4 and length will do as much for a large finger as width will. Her finger is probably the best part of 20mm across, so there's not really a lot of difference between 7mm and 6.5 (your average 1ct round size) as far as proportion goes. You have NO chance of covering that width unless her fingers were much smaller, and her diamond was massive.

On the other hand, would she have any interest in a 3 stone ring? If width is what you want, that would do it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it. With your budget, the largest center stone you could reasonably afford in a 3 stone would be 1 ct, and even though it stretched from side to side, I just don't think that would do it for her.

Alternately, if you do a pave band, you extend the look of your ring width-ways, and that helps. But either way, it's not really a case of how much width it covers, it's a case of how much surface area it takes up. A longer ring has the illusion of splitting the finger width in half, which, while not giving coverage, makes the finger appear longer and slimmer. And a halo'd diamond of the size to which we're referring you will give you at least 9mm coverage side to side anyway. 9mm is a lot! And the 1.52 E SI1 stone, set in a halo, would be around 13mm long!! That's a WHOLE LOT of ring! Your wife needs to look slightly longer term - to the time when it's set. One year of patience with a smaller stone than she thinks is ideal is nothing compared to a lifetime of good finger coverage. And she will get a LOT more coverage from a halo setting than from you upping the ctw of the center stone; in fact, many different size ctw's of stones look roughly the same once halo'd.

For your info - most halo settings add about (and it varies and I'm going low here for the sake of being conservative) 2.5mm in total width and length. Definitely changes the look of a ring.

Keep in mind, because of the cut, a pear concentrates color on its ends. For that reason, I would not suggest going below a G color (and for myself, I'd try to stay more E/F) unless your wife has specifically stated she wants a warm looking color.

Again - what was her original e-ring's size/style? I apologize if you've already mentioned this - I couldn't see it.

ETA The benefits of going with the diamond Grace is currently holding is that you'd be able to afford to set it immediately. There's a lot of appeal in that and would address the size issue straight away.
Thanks for all the input. This thread is a spin off so there is missing info. She currently just has a band. The few times we have looked at stones she liked the g/h. The D was too white and the K too yellow. We always looked at cushions before.
I'm trying to surprise her bc we have talked about a ring for our 10th anniversary so she isn't expecting it now.
I can "afford" to have it set now but we are weeks away from adopting our new little one and my wife just became a SAHM this summer so if I can stick to my budget and buy the diamond now and the setting next year I will feel more comfortable. Plus that gives her plenty of time to design and decide exactly what she wants.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1469799803|4060527 said:
I think she is going to want more width than length to cover the finger only bc I know she hates a long marquise. Is it called a chunky pear?

I lucked out with an antique chunky pear. I think they are much more charming that skinny long ones. Pics are on page two of this thread:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-pear.222082/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-pear.222082/page-2[/URL]

I would call Ilya and ask him if he can find another like this. It is 1.59 carats, and is a K with blue florescence. Blue florescence and K color face up white, so you could def go with a K if the florescence lifts the color. This stone was only $4,500 :shock: If you can find something close to this, it would leave you PLENTY for an amazing setting or halo. You can also call love affair diamonds and old world diamonds and see if they could source anything for you.

This is the setting I had made for it. It gives a LOT of finger coverage but doesn't overwhelm the stone:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-ring-is-done-bespoke-halo-by-lad-cvb.224266/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-antique-pear-ring-is-done-bespoke-halo-by-lad-cvb.224266/page-2[/URL]

I think a split shank balances a pear very nicely and gives more coverage, IMHO. I would definitely reach out to OWD, LAD, and Ilya at DIamondzone. They get old cuts in all the time, and it doesn't hurt to ask!
Your stone is exactly what I'm looking for. The dimensions are perfect and it is a beautiful stone. I will reach out and send them your specs as a goal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the 2 carat cushion in your budget? We can also look at cushions. I think I posted some earlier in your thread.

PS...I love your idea about taking a year to design the setting. Gives the wearer time to get to know their stone and appreciate
its nuances before it goes in a setting. Also gives a person plenty of time to think about their setting. Congratulations on a new
little one! How very exciting for you and your wife! With respect to that big news, she should make sure that her setting is low so
she doesnt really notice wearing it and will less likely be getting in the way with a little one.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter|1469801824|4060547 said:
soxfan|1469799803|4060527 said:

Your stone is exactly what I'm looking for. The dimensions are perfect and it is a beautiful stone. I will reach out and send them your specs as a goal.

Did CVB make your setting? It is lovely and the width that the split shank at the end gives it would gvie plenty of finger coverage.
Just wondering if you could give icehitter a ballpark cost of the setting (between $4K and $5k etc) so he knows what he's in for.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
Ok so I'm learning here that I'm looking for an antique pear that is chunky. We can go down in color if it has a medium blue florescence.

You mentioned Llya. Who is that and where do I find them?

Any other places that can source old cuts?

Thanks again!!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1469801879|4060548 said:
Was the 2 carat cushion in your budget? We can also look at cushions. I think I posted some earlier in your thread.

PS...I love your idea about taking a year to design the setting. Gives the wearer time to get to know their stone and appreciate
its nuances before it goes in a setting. Also gives a person plenty of time to think about their setting. Congratulations on a new
little one! How very exciting for you and your wife! With respect to that big news, she should make sure that her setting is low so
she doesnt really notice wearing it and will less likely be getting in the way with a little one.

I didn't even ask the price. My wife has always said she wanted a big cushion and likes the elongated ones. Her pinterest "dream rings" were full of cushions and pears. When I took her to look at stones previously she liked some cushions and liked a pear in a halo but the jeweler was pushing an overpriced Henri Dasi and told her pears were old fashioned so she moved on.

I took her again last night bc in the other thread we decided to go with a pear so I had to make sure she liked them. She did so that's what I'm hunting for now. She doesn't want anything like everyone else we know has (round & princess) and hates marquise (hence wanting a chunky pear). At the end of the day she will love whatever I pick I just know I want it to face up as big as possible.

Thanks for the congrats...we have 3 kids under 3 so she deserves something great!
I appreciate the help!

icehitter

Rough_Rock

OWD is Old World Diamonds but who/what is LAD? Sorry...new at all of this!

icehitter

Rough_Rock

icehitter

Rough_Rock
icehitter|1469811026|4060598 said:
soxfan|1469800094|4060533 said:
tyty333|1469799854|4060528 said:
Request an aset on this one. The pear looks squished in the image. Dont think it is quite that fat at 1.53 ratio but will be more on
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8429494-1.80-carat-Pear-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

I like this one! Nice and chunky!

I like this one too. I requested the ASET. Will post when I get it!

Assuming this one comes back good and I decide to pull the trigger I need a solitaire setting. Instead of getting just a plain 14k gold band, how do you think this would look? Since she is going to wear it for a year I think something like this would look better.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Pear/1/7573/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Split-Prong-Set-Round-Diamond-Ring-14K-White-Gold-(1-4-cttw..).aspx

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter|1469804311|4060569 said:

Love affair diamonds

icehitter

Rough_Rock

Here is a picture of the ASET on this one. I need to go see what this means because I have no idea what I am looking for. Does this look good?

160227-211__1_.jpg

icehitter

Rough_Rock
soxfan|1469812597|4060606 said:
icehitter|1469804311|4060569 said:

Love affair diamonds
Thanks!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
icehitter|1469812505|4060604 said:
icehitter|1469811026|4060598 said:

I like this one too. I requested the ASET. Will post when I get it!

Assuming this one comes back good and I decide to pull the trigger I need a solitaire setting. Instead of getting just a plain 14k gold band, how do you think this would look? Since she is going to wear it for a year I think something like this would look better.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Pear/1/7573/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Split-Prong-Set-Round-Diamond-Ring-14K-White-Gold-(1-4-cttw...).aspx

Icehitter -

Just be aware - an I colored pear is going to show significant color on both ends. Not my cup of tea, though your wife may be fine with it. An I colored pear will show up FAR more tinted in places than an I colored round.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results