Pick a pear please

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469815863|4060624 said:
icehitter|1469812505|4060604 said:
icehitter|1469811026|4060598 said:
soxfan|1469800094|4060533 said:
tyty333|1469799854|4060528 said:
Request an aset on this one. The pear looks squished in the image. Dont think it is quite that fat at 1.53 ratio but will be more on
the fatter side. It is big though at 10.47x6.86.
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8429494-1.80-carat-Pear-diamond-I-color-VS2-clarity.aspx

I like this one! Nice and chunky!

I like this one too. I requested the ASET. Will post when I get it!

Assuming this one comes back good and I decide to pull the trigger I need a solitaire setting. Instead of getting just a plain 14k gold band, how do you think this would look? Since she is going to wear it for a year I think something like this would look better.

http://www.b2cjewels.com/Pear/1/7573/Diamond-Accent-Settings/Split-Prong-Set-Round-Diamond-Ring-14K-White-Gold-(1-4-cttw....).aspx

Icehitter -

Just be aware - an I colored pear is going to show significant color on both ends. Not my cup of tea, though your wife may be fine with it. An I colored pear will show up FAR more tinted in places than an I colored round.

Will putting it into a halo help with that at all?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

With a round brilliant, because of the way a well cut stone reflects light, the main tint you will see is from the side of the stone - the profile. A halo can disguise that.

In a pear, however, the facets contract at each end, reflecting color inward and compounding any tint in the stone. So the color can be seen from above, rather than just from the side. A halo won't help with that.

It's more expensive, but take another look at the E SI1 pear that tyty333 posted; it's more expensive for a reason. The dimensions are almost as big as the 1.8ct stone, but the color is far better and the tint is so minimal there will be almost nothing to reflect and compound.

To be honest, were both these stones in halos, I doubt you'd be able to tell a size difference at all. In choosing between these stones, I don't think you should be constrained by size; it's not an issue here.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would see if B2C can send you any other pictures of the stone.

If you look at James Allen I's you can see what Mrs blop is talking about. That's why we usually dont go this low in color for pears
but you were talking I think I/J? Some "I" pears will show more color than others so it would be nice to get more pictures of the
stone you are looking at. The stones with better light return will not show as much color as stones with not so good light return.
The other times we go this low in a pear is when we are trying to push the size envelope. :)

Large jamesallen "I" colored pears to see what you think. The color is all relative to what you see in the middle of the rounded area.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/?CaratFrom=1.79&CaratTo=30&Color=I&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF,FL&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&ViewsOptions=Images

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the 1.8 and 1.5 on a size 7 1/4 finger. A halo will make the size difference even less noticeable but that's your call.
Either try to get some more images of the 1.8 and/or call JA and ask about the inclusion in the 1.5. Doesnt hurt to ask about
the stone. Find out how eye-clean it is.

BTW...icehitter...the link to the setting you posted didnt work. Can you repost again.

pear_180_and_150.png

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I don't know what to do now, in talking with the wife tonight about stopping in the jewelry store last night I asked her if she thought she would be happy having a pear since she really seemed to like it last night. Her response...oh it was really pretty but I think I want a cushion still bc all the settings I really love are cushion. Ugh. Back to square one!

E B

Ideal_Rock
icehitter|1469845397|4060741 said:
I don't know what to do now, in talking with the wife tonight about stopping in the jewelry store last night I asked her if she thought she would be happy having a pear since she really seed to like it last night. Her response...oh it was really pretty but I think I want a cushion still bc all the settings I really love are cushion. Ugh. Back to square one!

Don't worry! Now you know what she really wants, and that's a GOOD thing!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
This is true. Should I start a new thread about getting the biggest size (dimensions not carat) cushion for my money?
Just when I was starting to learn about the pear, lol.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, at least you now have a very clear mandate!

How about this cushion? (8.16x6.76x4.62 mm)
There is some leakage and you'd have to check if it is eyeclean. Experts?
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-search/2.03-Cushion--GIA-I-SI2-diamond-stock-13657-cert-15017239

Hopefully this is within bounds, but what about a precision-cut sapphire? You can get amazing sparkle in a range of colors within your budget. Place one of these in the right halo and a-maz-ing. I can't find the picture, but a halo/split shank that only has little diamonds on the top and bottom, not the sides.

Well below budget. Here is a sapphire by a well-known cutter, 8.16 mm. http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/459/Gem+1796+-+Sapphire

At budget, but size and is beautiful. http://www.precisiongem.com/gemstackpage/gems.php?product/page/471/Gem+1799+-+Blue+Sapphire

1/2 your budget. Here is a square cushion with amazing color. Another well-known precision cutter. http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/3-11-carat-teal-blue-australian-sapphire/

Another amazing gem. Look at the size! http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/3-89-carat-deep-teal-green-montana-sapphire/

This is sold, but they may have others like this..http://shop.pristinegemstonejewelry.com/products/padparadscha-sapphire-champagne-pink-peach-certified-not-heat-treated-sapphire-cushion-shape-3-15-carats-for-engagement-ring-or-weddings

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the holo/split picture. At the bottom. I'm pretty sure this is a Harry Winston, but I'm not positive.

winstonhalo_0.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Icehitter -

If size is what she wants, and a cushion is the shape she wants, you will HAVE to go down in color and/or clarity to get what you want.

That said - here's a stunning diamond I almost bought. I had it on hold with Victor and - at the very last minute - went in a totally different direction so I'd be able to work my new stone in with stones I already have and want to use as side stones. So all that to say - I've actually held this stone in my hand, and it's stunning.

At this size, it has a visible inclusion - but it's to the side of the stone - not under the table, and I think a halo would go a long way to distracting the eye from it. I also didn't find it that easy to see at 'eye clean distance' (10"). The color is warm, but it's a STUNNING warm - creamy and gorgeous - and if she's looking for a gold setting, this would look amazing. The cut is more or less perfect, being a Victor Canera signature cut and it twinkles like mad, and the shape is lush - elongated like she wanted with curvy sides - which, in my opinion, is the perfect cushion shape. Set in a halo, it would be about 10.5mm x 9.5mm. A good, substantial, ring. And with wire price, it's in your budget ($8,995)

https://www.victorcanera.com/diamonds/9p5h42-2.034-m-si2-ideal-antique-cushion

ETA With no offense to Rockysalamander - I think the above stone he/she linked to is pretty awful. The ASET is horrible. Check out the ASET on the VC stone and the difference is staggering. (Sorry Rocky! :wavey: )

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries Mrs.Blop. I'm still learning !

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469902194|4060892 said:
Icehitter -

If size is what she wants, and a cushion is the shape she wants, you will HAVE to go down in color and/or clarity to get what you want.

That said - here's a stunning diamond I almost bought. I had it on hold with Victor and - at the very last minute - went in a totally different direction so I'd be able to work my new stone in with stones I already have and want to use as side stones. So all that to say - I've actually held this stone in my hand, and it's stunning.

At this size, it has a visible inclusion - but it's to the side of the stone - not under the table, and I think a halo would go a long way to distracting the eye from it. I also didn't find it that easy to see at 'eye clean distance' (10"). The color is warm, but it's a STUNNING warm - creamy and gorgeous - and if she's looking for a gold setting, this would look amazing. The cut is more or less perfect, being a Victor Canera signature cut and it twinkles like mad, and the shape is lush - elongated like she wanted with curvy sides - which, in my opinion, is the perfect cushion shape. Set in a halo, it would be about 10.5mm x 9.5mm. A good, substantial, ring. And with wire price, it's in your budget ($8,995)

ETA With no offense to Rockysalamander - I think the above stone he/she linked to is pretty awful. The ASET is horrible. Check out the ASET on the VC stone and the difference is staggering. (Sorry Rocky! :wavey: )

Thank you. I'm glad you posted this bc I actually saw that GOG cushion linked above and inquired about it bc a) the dimensions are perfect and b) from everything I've read GOG is the source for cushions and they have it in house so I automatically assumed it would be a relatively nice stone for the money.

I have NO idea how to read the ASET other than I thought red was good.

As to the diamond you posted it is a great looking stone. The only thing I worry about is that I know she wants a white gold or platinum setting. She does not like yellow gold at all. She has pinned a couple of settings that have rose gold and white gold together...would that help at all? Is it going to look yellow in different lighting? She was shown a K Henri Dassi and outside it was white but inside the store she thought it was too yellow. I will contact them and see about getting it in hand to look at it.

I will also try to find some pictures of settings she has pinned.
Thanks for all your help!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1469902194|4060892 said:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Wow. I LOVE that stone!

E B

Ideal_Rock
If she thought a K was too warm/yellow, an M certainly will be (though that IS a beautiful diamond!). That isn't to say she wouldn't like it, but I would certainly get her approval before buying and SETTING anything in the K-L-M range.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I think she would love an H/I/J as long as it could be set in something that would make it look nice and warm vs yellow.

So the cushion from GOG is a terrible option? Does the ASET mean that it doesn't sparkle?

E B

Ideal_Rock
icehitter|1469923725|4060970 said:
So the cushion from GOG is a terrible option? Does the ASET mean that it doesn't sparkle?

It's not terrible, but there's going to have to be some tradeoff in size vs. sparkle. That particular diamond is at their store, so I would see if they could make a video of it next to another couple of cushions they find so you can see the difference. Tell them what you're looking for and they can call in a couple of other contenders.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's NO comparison to the Victor canera stone. The VC is going to be way brighter. I wonder if there is a video on this stone?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she would love an H/I/J as long as it could be set in something that would make it look nice and warm vs yellow.

Icehitter -

GOG is indeed a premier handler of cushions...so long as you're talking about one of their signature cuts. The stone linked to is definitely NOT one of their signature cuts but probably a stone they have on consignment for a customer. Definitely avoid.

I'd contact Victor, if I were you, and ask if he's willing to send you a video; the sparkle and light return would be awesome. And yes - rose gold and platinum would look fabulous. Victor's signature cushion cuts and GOG's August Vintage Cushion signature cuts are very similar and, in my opinion, as good as each other - and FAR better than almost any other cushion cut stones you'll find. You could always do a rose gold bezel setting around the center stone, then a very white halo in platinum. And the ring would be VERY big.

But personally, I think the setting Rockysalamander posted above would look awesome.

icehitter

Rough_Rock
I will definitely contact them, thank you for your help!

icehitter

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1469932232|4061005 said:

Icehitter -

GOG is indeed a premier handler of cushions...so long as you're talking about one of their signature cuts. The stone linked to is definitely NOT one of their signature cuts but probably a stone they have on consignment for a customer. Definitely avoid.

I'd contact Victor, if I were you, and ask if he's willing to send you a video; the sparkle and light return would be awesome. And yes - rose gold and platinum would look fabulous. Victor's signature cushion cuts and GOG's August Vintage Cushion signature cuts are very similar and, in my opinion, as good as each other - and FAR better than almost any other cushion cut stones you'll find. You could always do a rose gold bezel setting around the center stone, then a very white halo in platinum. And the ring would be VERY big.

But personally, I think the setting Rockysalamander posted above would look awesome.

I filled the wife in bc I need her to love the stone. Victor is going to send us a video then we will put it on hold while we decide. She is so excited about an antique cushion that is warm and has it's own personality.

I am having her read what you posted since you had it in hand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results