shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of my e-ring, am I being too picky about the setting?

little_birdie

Rough_Rock
Re: Photos of my e-ring, am I being too picky about the sett

After a bit of a wait, we have a reply from Tacori 'We will have one of our experienced Artisan's polishing to remove the design from the prongs and make them slightly thinner to enhance the look of the heart shaped center. There will be no risk to the setting.'

I'd still like to see it before it's sent back to us this time though.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Hi everyone,
Just an update, Tacori have finally finished modifying the design (the whole process of sending it back has taken awhile) and this is what it currently looks like (the vendor has sent us photos for approval).
tacori-ring-with-heart-shaped-diamond_top.jpg

The prongs aren't distorting the shape as much now, though they do stick out a little. Is it me being nit picky or the angle(I noticed this within a minute of looking at it), but does the top left and the bottom V prong look a little uneven/off to you compared to the others? The left part of the V looks more narrow than the right.
Maybe I'm just expecting too much from them..I'm not particularly impressed by Tacori right now given the amount of time it took them to do things.
Here's another view
custom-tacori-flat-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring_38163_top-view.jpg

Can you spot the same difference? Should I just give up on Tacori trying to get things right and take the ring as is? This has dragged on for almost 2 months now and we are absolutely sick of it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Top ones are ok. The V is uneven.

Looks MUCH better though.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Looks much better. Yes, there are slight differences, and I would have expected perfection. I wonder, however, if you can really see the differences in real life. It doesn't hurt to ask for additional augmentation, but it does look quite nice.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Thanks Gypsy, should I just suck it up and live with it or point it out to the vendor or see if another jeweller in my city can fix it?
I'm a little annoyed that they spent this long and produced something not 100%

ETA: my SO pointed out that the stone is tilted a little to the right, that may be why the top prongs seem a little off in position with respect to the other. I do see that now that he has mentioned it (groan), but I disagree with that being the cause of the uneven V.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it's not perfect, but then no ring is. I definitely see what you're talking about. However, these are magnified images and in person, it would not be too noticeable. Only you can decide if it bothers you or not. I think it looks great!

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock

I thought the stone looked a little tilted. But as the others have said this is a hugely magnified picture, wait until it's on your hand to see how you feel.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
little_birdie said:
Thanks Gypsy, should I just suck it up and live with it or point it out to the vendor or see if another jeweller in my city can fix it?
I'm a little annoyed that they spent this long and produced something not 100%

ETA: my SO pointed out that the stone is tilted a little to the right, that may be why the top prongs seem a little off in position with respect to the other. I do see that now that he has mentioned it (groan), but I disagree with that being the cause of the uneven V.

I agree with the others that it certainly looks better... but it's still "off." Honestly, I would forget this Tacori setting and go with one that is meant for a heart shaped stone. The fact that they've had your ring for two months and it's still not great would really upset me too. I know that rings aren't perfect, but this is... not good. Tacori is too expensive for the setting to have been so sloppy -- esp after a 2nd opportunity to correct it. Sorry to sound like a Debbie-downer, but I would abandon this setting. Don't have anyone else besides Tacori touch it, and get your money back. We've seen heart settings that looked really nice, so obviously it can be done. I don't think Tacori can do any more to make it look "right" -- and to be fair, they've had 2 months to do so and failed.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

I agree msop04, but I dont believe getting a refund is an option as it was 'custom' to begin with. If I could I would just get the stone back and have a local jeweller custom make a setting with that shank instead.

My SO is pretty annoyed given the time it is taking them to fix it and they have not picked up on a pretty noticeable error like this. He's determined that they had better fix it because we hadn't paid 3k for a wonky set stone.

To the other posters who recommended seeing it in person first, we are located in Australia, it already took a week of mucking around to get the ring sent back the first time, it is too risky to have it sent here again if theres a chance it needs to be sent back for repair.

We contacted the vendor on the 3rd. They emailed yesterday saying theyve sent our email to Tacori...no response yet. That's another frustrating thing, we cant speak directly to Tacori and they've taking their sweet time to get back to us on anything! I'm not happy with their slow customer service, given this would not buy from them again-although the vendor has been great, they're trying to do as much as they can for us.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

Maybe ask for some kind of refund/discount at this point? You certainly have some leverage in that they didn't live up to their proclaimed "rigorous high standards," as all the lay people here have liberally pointed out.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow, this has really lowered my opinion of Tacori! That bottom prong is unacceptable. It's crookedly shaped and it's crookedly set. The other (top) prongs are not smooth (polished) enough. I think you should contact Tacori anyway, even though you're "not allowed to talk to them," and tell them about Pricescope.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tourmaline|1402059027|3687698 said:
Wow, this has really lowered my opinion of Tacori! That bottom prong is unacceptable. It's crookedly shaped and it's crookedly set. The other (top) prongs are not smooth (polished) enough. I think you should contact Tacori anyway, even though you're "not allowed to talk to them," and tell them about Pricescope.

yes. +1

at first I thought you meant the top prongs were not at the same angle, but that it so slight. Then I looked at the bottom.
Unacceptable.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this ;(

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally unacceptable IMO, the quality of the workmanship and customer service. You deserve to have a perfect finished product that you are happy with, not have to "settle" with :nono:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Can WF make a new head using that shank?

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for your input, I've contacted Tacori through facebook as I have not heard back from the vendor yet and we dont want to wait a week to know what's going to happen and another round of Chinese whispers.
They responded back saying they will get customer service to contact us..we'll have to see.

Dreamer_D, I don't think WF would alter a Tacori piece even if they were capable of it as they are an authorised reseller and all repairs should be sent back to Tacori through them. I'm fine with the design now, just want the stone set properly!

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Update: Tacori customer service have gotten back to us, they have just received the ring and will have a senior designer inspect the ring and they will do what they need to bring it up to scratch. They hope to have it fixed by end of next week.

So happy to hear back from them directly and not waiting for delayed updates. Hopefully it will be worth the wait this time to see the ring. I'm a little afraid to get my hopes up..

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sounds like good news!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

little_birdie|1402114832|3688303 said:
Update: Tacori customer service have gotten back to us, they have just received the ring and will have a senior designer inspect the ring and they will do what they need to bring it up to scratch. They hope to have it fixed by end of next week.

So happy to hear back from them directly and not waiting for delayed updates. Hopefully it will be worth the wait this time to see the ring. I'm a little afraid to get my hopes up..

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this again with Tacori -- completely unacceptable! However, I'm glad they finally got back with you. That said, they should either refund your money or give you full credit toward another setting. A ring should not have to go back twice and have to be inspected by a senior designer to be made correctly. Tacori is overpriced as is, so I would expect that EVERY product is inspected prior to being shipped. This shows that their QC is terrible, IMO. :nono: Since you have paid for custom and can't get a full refund, I wouldn't want them to try to "reset" in this same ring -- I'd have them start from scratch and make the entire ring over the right way.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

I understand where you're coming from msop04 (and I appreciate your support) but given the first repair was a design disagreement as opposed to a QC problem I don't think I can reasonably request for them to redo the setting from scratch. Hopefully they can reset the stone straight and it won't be a problem? I'm not sure as the 'V' prong is uneven whether they have to remould or just shave off more of the other side (I know nothing about jewellery making)

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I know everyone here, myself included, has their fingers crossed for perfection this time around :appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne|1402228816|3688769 said:
I know everyone here, myself included, has their fingers crossed for perfection this time around :appl:

Definitely!!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333|1402236080|3688806 said:
Jimmianne|1402228816|3688769 said:

Definitely!!!

+1

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

little_birdie|1402190718|3688656 said:
I understand where you're coming from msop04 (and I appreciate your support) but given the first repair was a design disagreement as opposed to a QC problem I don't think I can reasonably request for them to redo the setting from scratch. Hopefully they can reset the stone straight and it won't be a problem? I'm not sure as the 'V' prong is uneven whether they have to remould or just shave off more of the other side (I know nothing about jewellery making)

Hopefully, they can fix these issues for you... other than the wonky prongs and the stone being set crooked, are you happy with the overall appearance of the setting with your stone??

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the shape of the setting now, I think it really suits the shape of your diamond showing off the cleavage bit between the lugs of the diamond. I would ask about that bottom prong though before it is sent all the way to Australia. I think if you didn't say something you would wonder afterwards if it could have been sorted.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1402263267|3688988 said:
I like the shape of the setting now, I think it really suits the shape of your diamond showing off the cleavage bit between the lugs of the diamond. I would ask about that bottom prong though before it is sent all the way to Australia. I think if you didn't say something you would wonder afterwards if it could have been sorted.

+1

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Thanks Pyramid, we have contacted them and the ring is being looked over now.

Just checked my email and received this message:

'Based on the assessment of our designer we found that the center stone was not off center but the work done on the prongs gave that illusion. The tips of the prongs were polished unevenly leaving more metal in certain areas. We are currently correcting this issue and will take pictures of your ring when it is complete.
Please note the security of your center stone is our top priority which means we will keep the five prong design in order to achieve that. We have removed the design from the prongs to make them thinner and not take away from the heart shape center. Once this work is complete our head designer and our QC manager will look at your ring for the final inspection.'

We're happy with that answer, as long as the ring is fine when it comes back!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Yay! The squeaky wheel gets oiled! :)

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Received a few new photos today, all the same view in different lighting from a distance.
2014-06-14_15_1.jpg

I think it looks MUCH better, what I had wanted to begin with. Its not the clearest photo and my diamond looks a little included in the image but its most likely that it needs to be cleaned, reflection or something.
But overall I am so happy and my SO is too. Cant wait to have it back!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yeah!! Looks beautiful!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hopefully you'll love it in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results