shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of my e-ring, am I being too picky about the setting?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Photos of my e-ring, am I being too picky about the sett

I am not a fan of prong settings, however, the setting in the pic in the first post is just too ugly for words!!!

DK :rolleyes:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I'd pick it up and see it at this point. It may not look as prominent in real life as it does in photos.

If you truly don't care for it in person, I'd probably recommend unsetting the stone, selling your setting in whatever venue you can, and having the ring placed into a temp setting locally until you can find a setting that's right for you.

I looked at the ring profile on WF's site, and I can immediately see why they told you the prong set-up couldn't be changed. This isn't a peg-head set up; the prongs are integrally structured.

It seems like WF did all they could in telling you "this hasn't been done before, we can't say what it will look like" and went so far as to suggest picking a different setting, but the final decision was yours. You knew the designer rejected the prong shape you proposed in advance as well, and you agreed to let them proceed according to their discretion when you proceeded with that setting.

I'm so sorry it doesn't look as you expected. I'm hopeful that you'll like it better in person.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1396816070|3648511 said:
teobdl|1396812340|3648485 said:
Shame on Tacori for even making that.

little_birdie said:
I also asked them about the placement of the prongs as well. They said they would need the diamond in-house, and their design team would assess whether a 3 or 5 prong head would look best once they have it there.

This isn't a design that we have ever done with anything other than a round, so unfortunately I have very little additional info that I can add that would be helpful. Since we've never done this design with a heart with them, I'm not sure how it will turn out in terms of the design specifics. I hate to have so little to add, but I'm at a bit of a loss. However, I can say that I'm confident in their abilities as designers, so I'm sure they will build something that is true to the design you see online, and is durable as well.'

She suggested that if were were concerned then we should consider another ring style instead-we could not find any with the shank we liked with a different prong so we did not have any other options if we wanted that shank. I figured it would be fine as long as the square prongs were positioned at the two curves of the heart (which they are) and the point of the heart.

It's called technology. Sounds like their design team needs to go back to school and learn how to do CADs. And if they did a CAD, why did they not immediately stop and come up with a new mounting strategy? At least consult with the buyer?? Wow. Tacori lost a lot of respect in my eyes.

To say I'm shocked this was the response from Tacori would be an understatement! Tacori pieces are supposedly handmade by master jewelers, and even if not, they will customize anything -- yes, anything. To switch to another style of prongs would be the easiest change I could possibly imagine. Needless to say, I'll just add this to the list of reasons not to go with Tacori... besides that of being completely overpriced and underwhelming IRL, they seem to be incapable of executing minor deviations, while unable to recognize when a design isn't aesthetically pleasing. They seriously dropped the ball on this one.

Do NOT accept that package. Once you do, you'll have to pay for all that stuff again with nothing to show for it. I would seriously consider going with another vendor who can give you what you want without making ridiculous excuses-- like they've never made that style before. Ummmm... hello??!! Custom pieces are just that... CUSTOM.

This style is made specifically for round stones. Did the OP insist on this setting? or did no one explain? On the web page for that setting it says that it is only for rounds. So it became custom when it was request that the setting hold a stone it is not made for. Who knows why WF said it could be done. A different head would be needed - even from the side it's not right for a heart. So things went wrong and it's pointless to figure out where the blame lies - at least for me it's like a "perfect storm". WF accepted a job that was difficult, Tacori should have used a different head - but that was not specified...on & on. Just time to move on and make things right.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jimmianne|1396822669|3648558 said:
This style is made specifically for round stones. Did the OP insist on this setting? or did no one explain? On the web page for that setting it says that it is only for rounds. So it became custom when it was request that the setting hold a stone it is not made for. Who knows why WF said it could be done. A different head would be needed - even from the side it's not right for a heart. So things went wrong and it's pointless to figure out where the blame lies - at least for me it's like a "perfect storm". WF accepted a job that was difficult, Tacori should have used a different head - but that was not specified...on & on. Just time to move on and make things right.

I agree with Jimmianne... this is the best thing to do at this point. I still wouldn't accept the package. It would really suck to have to pay all that money for something you've already said you don't care for... just my opinion. :halo:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

As someone who is bothered by the large prongs on my ring, I have to agree with you that those prongs are not at all attractive. I am not sure why you decided to go ahead with the design after they told you they would not alter the prongs, and I don't know if there are additional diamonds on the prongs. If not, you can have those prongs sanded down to get rid of the little extension points. I don't see why an overseas warranty will matter anyway. Have it done locally.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

obviously ring is not what you were after. i think the problem at this point is your location and avoiding potential extra costs. i would not accept the package at this point. have you paid the taxes yet? i would contact WF with your concerns and discuss with them what the best solution is. especially that you are worried that by accepting the package you will be subject to a lot of excess costs if it needs to be sent back.

Be nice to WF, unfortunately some of the blame is yours. You probably shouldn't have insisted on a setting made for a round, you should have insisting on 3 prongs, to see the final product to be ok'd before shipping.

That said we all have 20/20 hindsight!

I would not have an australian jeweller try and fix this setting. if I was going to try and fix the situation in Aus i would be looking for a new setting

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock

If I'm reading this correctly, Tacori told WF that their team would assess whether "a 3 or 5 prong head would look best".
--Did the team really consider what a 3 prong head would look like? Did the Tacori team actually believe a 5 prong head would look better? It's pretty clear that a 5 prong head with those prongs completely distorts any reasonable interpretation of a heart-shaped diamond.

Tacori did not say that they have never done a heart before with this setting. WhiteFlash said that they have never asked Tacori to do this setting in a heart, and thus they had no idea how it would turn out. The SA at WF did, however, suggest that s/he was "sure they will build something that is true to the design you see online, and is durable as well." The SA left "true to the design" completely ambiguous, and one is left to conclude that it is almost a completely meaningless statement. What part of the design? The classic part? or the part where the diamond is unflatteringly set?

It's correct that the head design was not specified, but what was specified was that they'd decide whether 3 or 5 prongs looks better. No reasonable person would conclude that 5 prongs looks better than 3 with those prongs. If someone out there really think that 5 prongs looks better than 3, then please chime in.

If Tacori is not willing to accept the blame and fix the problem at their own expense, then the next best option would be to bolster up the bottom prong and remove the 2 side prongs. I don't know if that's possible.

I am beyond disappointed that the buyer was not consulted on a CAD. Lesson learned (again): not a single custom design should ever be fired up without a CAD or some kind of mock-up being shown to the end buyer and approved.

ETA: One last option I just considered: someone recently lopped off the prongs of a Van Craeynest and put a bezel head on it. I have no idea how much it would cost, but I think that would be the perfect thing for a heart. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-in-van-craeynest.198840/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-in-van-craeynest.198840/[/URL]

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

CharmyPoo|1396790875|3648331 said:
I personally would not accept the ring. I know others asked to see it first but I am wondering if it will be cheaper for you to just not accept the package and return it to sender. Get more pics first.

I am looking at the second pic and considered with the profile. It looks very BOXY and just not right.

Wow, it must have been too early in the morning because my post made no sense at all.

I was trying to suggest that you shouldn't accept the package - if it is sent straight back to the sender, I believe you don't have to pay customs and other fees. I think it is very expensive for you to pay customs, open the package, and reship it back across the world. I don't agree that you need to see it in person for a better real life perspective - the prongs are huge and the second photo shows a profile that completely doesn't work with the heart diamond. The sides look very boxy and straight lined.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I am sure part of you wished we all said we loved it but the truth is .. if you don't love it, you don't love it. I recall seeing my first e-ring photo (sent after the ring was sent) and I absolutely hated it. Seeing it in person reinforced it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think there is a little blame on both sides. Because I can see both sides as stated by teobdl and aljdewey.

I think this is a situation that needs compromise. WF has good customer service, and I am sure they do not want the OP to be unhappy with her purchase. Tacori also, I believe is the same way. I'm sure the OP doesn't want to stick it to either vendor at the same time.

The ring is phenomenally bad. But when you posted that setting originally for the heart I though to myself that it was a poor fit. And I hoped someone would talk you out of it, OR alternately, that Tacori would be able to alter the design enough to make it work.

I honestly can't say that I accept that what that picture shows is Tacori's best effort.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock

I don't know that those who disagree with Tacori's design choice should blame them SO much. I understand everyone's opinions, but I'm completely assuming that they chose the 5 vs 3 prongs for a specific reason. Obviously the OP requested this setting and the OP gave the go-ahead for Tacori to alter the ring to accommodate the heart shaped diamond. Honestly, with the ring style I think they could only do so much and they were made to change a ring that wasn't intended to be changed in that way. I'm not saying it's the OP's fault, bc when you are told it can be done, then you have trust in that. But I guess my main issue is that I still can't believe that the alterations, prong selection, and overall change to the look of thing ring wouldn't have been first discussed with the OP prior to making the ring. I get that it's a custom order, but yeah....I don't get it the rest...

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

I had my reservations about the head and prongs and I had said at the start to WF that the only feature I really wanted was the shank. I was happy to have a WF designer do the ring instead as long as the shank was the same and I did not care for the head or prongs.
We went ahead because it was basically going with tacori custom or giving the pictures to another designer here to do as WF would not do anything so similar to Tacoris design. In retrospect we should have just purchased the stone only and get a local jeweller to custom make.
I was surprised that tacori would not give us any sketches nor were 'able' to change design given we were paying a decent amount more for 'customisation' we have spent $3k on this setting. Buy we knew they had a good reputation and trusted they would tell us if there was a problem.
Being custom made WF will not accept returns so scrapping it to start over is not an option without us being out thousands.
Also the consultant at WF said of the prongs 'I think it being close to a heart shape will compliment it'. And in all honesty, I could accept those prongs IF they were a three prong placement. I take some blame in deciding to just trust it will be done beautifully despite the problems discussed with the prongs and me knowing they will still use those same prongs. I figured if they initially told me it could be done, then it could. If they told me flat out it wouldnt be possible without ruining the outline of the diamond then I would not have gone ahead with it.
SO and I had a fight last night as I told him I contacted WF. He was upset because he felt I should see it first before saying there was a problem. Hes determined to pay and pick it up first. I will have to see it tonight and speak to WF sometime when they call, hopefully not tomorrow morning when I am at work.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

I think the problem is further complicated because we were never put directly into contact with tacori or even a designer. The only person who communicated with us was the 'diamond consultant', even when I said I had questions for a designer to answer.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

LB, I do understand that you told them the only feature you wanted was the shank, but your having told them that doesn't mean they could have delivered it. Not only would it potentially infringe on Tacori's copyright to try it, but they'd be dropped as an authorized retailer.

Below is a photo of that setting from Tacori's own site. Even on a round stone as pictured, the prongs are *very* prominent and shaped just as yours are. When I look at your ring compared to this, it appears to be as true to the original design as they could get using a heart-shaped stone.

For those who think the prongs are too big......well, they're equally proportionally big on the round stone, too. That's part of the design of this ring from what I see, and something she was told wouldn't be changed.

LB knew the ring was non-refundable/non-returnable. She was told up front Tacori would use those same prongs, and she agreed to let Tacori's designers make the determination regarding 3- or 5-prong.

Teobld, you may be right that the majority of 'reasonable' people wouldn't like it, but that was not the standard here. She agreed to leave it to the Tacori designer's discretion, not democratic vote. Their designer seemingly felt this configuration was the best aesthetic choice for this stone, and while you don't agree, it's a subjective difference of opinion.

Armed with all that data up front (and after discussing the possibility of picking an alternate setting), LB decided to proceed because she wanted that shank. She took a calculated, educated risk and hoped for the best. It's hard for me to see how the vendor or designer should bear the financial liability for those choices.

Edited to add: LB, I've never bought directly from Tacori to have first-hand experience, but I did take a look at their website language about custom work (below). They instruct you to work in depth with your retailer, which implies they don't speak directly to buyers.

"We realize that customers have different tastes and different needs, and we do our best to cater to those requests. To "special order" custom rings from Tacori, please visit your local authorized Tacori retail partner to speak in-depth with their jeweler about your setting selection and to place your order."

tacori_prong_setting.jpg

redroze

Shiny_Rock

Please involve your SO before doing anything else. It is a gift fr him after all and I'm sure concern over this ring is overshadowing what should be a happy occasion and a joyous gift.

The Tacori website clearly shows the look of these prongs. You left it in their hands to make it look nice - as a customer you could have insisted on an answer about the prongs first. On WF end they could have checked with you first too. It's done and take it as a lesson learned.

I would ask WF if you could ask Tacori to modify the prongs for a small fee. Then give a clear Tacori example with the prongs you do like.

Also see if anything of value in this thread.

http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/tacori-settings-switching-upgrading/#axzz2vbjSAdF3
image_1525.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

redroze|1396858225|3648809 said:
Please involve your SO before doing anything else. It is a gift fr him after all and I'm sure concern over this ring is overshadowing what should be a happy occasion and a joyous gift.

The Tacori website clearly shows the look of these prongs. You left it in their hands to make it look nice - as a customer you could have insisted on an answer about the prongs first. On WF end they could have checked with you first too. It's done and take it as a lesson learned.

I would ask WF if you could ask Tacori to modify the prongs for a small fee. Then give a clear Tacori example with the prongs you do like.

Redroze, LB did exactly that - she asked to have the prongs made rounder and smaller and sent a photo of other Tacori prongs she liked in illustration, but Tacori replied that it wasn't possible to use those prongs or to make the prongs on this setting smaller. If they wouldn't do it up front, I can't imagine they'd do it now.

redroze

Shiny_Rock

Yikes I didn't realize. I also read OP's other post "Thanks, that was my concern too. I asked Whiteflash if they could be changed as Tacori are charging for custom work anyway, but apparently they can't do the setting with any other prongs and we would have to choose a different setting altogether which is not what we want.". So you pretty much went into it knowing those are the prongs they'd give you.

Okay.,.id ask WF if you could buy another setting and see if some of the cost could be put towards the new setting. I think that's your only option if WF is kind enough to do so if you are unhappy. They wouldn't be obligated to do so as you went into it knowing the prong style. Something like this perhaps: http://www.tacori.com/engagement/3002-3000rd6.html

Other option is have local jeweler change prongs, knowing risk involved of them potentially messing up your ring, and you of course would be nullifying warranty of Tacori.

I don't know if either option possible but inquire.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone for your thought out responses. We have received the ring today and had a look- my SO agrees that its not as horrible as we thought from photos, but it could have been much better without those bottom prongs. He thought the bottom profile looked odd (hard to explain, its because of the addition of the v) whereas I didnt mind it if the two bottom prongs were removed.
From what we're looking at the two best options are:
1. If they could remove the two bottom prongs and bolster the bottom 'v'
2. As others have mentioned, shaving the sides of the two bottom prongs

I actually do not mind the style of prongs as much as the placement. If it was a 3 prong configuration I would have actually been perfectly happy.
I will talk to whiteflash tonight.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can fully understand how this happened. It takes an experience or two to understand how difficult it is to communicate design and understand what you are really going to get and, importantly, understand that your consultant may have different taste than you do.
I recently had my asscher set in an arched cathedral setting and was assured by the vendor [not WF!]
that it was "truly a beautiful setting for an asscher". How wrong they were. The arches stuck out too far and ruined the square shape.
So, OP, you are not alone in having to make adjustments and I know your ring will make you very happy when adjusted for that beautiful diamond.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Thank you for understanding Jimmianne. I do think it all came from a communication issue, I know myself that I can sometimes not be firm enough about what I want.
We LOVE the diamond though, its absolutely perfect for us and kind of big on my finger (from my point of view anyway!).

redroze

Shiny_Rock

Nice to hear a happy ending. Congrats and best of luck!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

LB, I did look back and see that durability was mentioned during the conversations, and I'm guessing that's part of why Tacori went with 5-prong placement. If you have just 3 prongs and one gets bent/mangled, loss of diamond is much more probable.

I'll be surprised if they agree to make either change, not only because of potential liability but because it visually alters a piece bearing their name. I'll be hopeful for you, though!

If Tacoi does agree to either of your suggested modifications, make sure you expressly ask them to confirm in writing prior to doing so that the changes will not impact your warranty at all.

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

Just waiting for WF to speak to Tacori and get back to us. If all else fails we can learn to love the ring for what it is..takes about 8 good looks or so, but the quality of the setting is good and the diamond itself is stunning.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the update little_birdie, I hope something can be worked out!

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

After waiting all day and half for a phone call from WF, finally found out that they'd emailed emailed my partner instead who'd thought I'd been notified along with him :nono: Fortunately the initial WF consultant picked up on the mistake and forwarded the email to me the following day.
The email has basically said 'what do you think of the ring in person' and that they will speak to Tacori about our concerns and see if they are willing to make any changes.
Design wise I just feel like Tacori made the minimal changes possible to fit a heart shape onto the current setting without giving quite enough thought as to the resulting aesthetics especially given I had voiced concerns about distortion of the heart shape from the start-personal opinion. I guess I just expected a little more for a 'custom' job as it's not ordered as a 'modification' job.

I have a IRL photo here
20140409_103524_4_bestshot.jpg

It isn't terrible, just very different I guess. If the changes aren't possible we'll just have to learn to live with it. Won't be going back to Tacori for a wedding band though, I'm 100% sure we'll use a nice local jeweller instead!

Stephny691

Shiny_Rock

That looks like a beautiful diamond and it's a great size on your finger. But those prongs..... even the two at the top of the diamond just make it look, I don't know. Not great. I'm not trying to be catty or anything, but you need to be 100% happy with it. I really hope you get something sorted because that looks SUCH a pretty diamond, it's a shame if it's marred by an 'off' setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

little_birdie|1397031795|3650358 said:
Design wise I just feel like Tacori made the minimal changes possible to fit a heart shape onto the current setting without giving quite enough thought as to the resulting aesthetics especially given I had voiced concerns about distortion of the heart shape from the start-personal opinion. I guess I just expected a little more for a 'custom' job as it's not ordered as a 'modification' job.

And this is what I'd tell them, exactly. I'd send the ring right back to them, explain that you paid a customization fee. Not just a fee to stick a heart on the thing, but to make the heart shape work with the shank. And that you are unhappy and want them to fix the bleeping prong issue to your satisfaction. And that before they go off half cocked you want to approve any changes so that you can be sure you will like and approve of the final product.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

What does your SO think of all this? I can't help but find it strange that he isn't forwarding emails to you about the ring?

little_birdie

Rough_Rock

He agrees with me now that he's seen the ring in person.
Edit: I have more than one email address-turns out my SO had forwarded the email he received to the one I don't regularly check

Given that Tacori had managed to create this ring https://www.facebook.com/TACORI/pho...39/10152337321124040/?type=1&relevant_count=1 from this setting http://www.tacori.com/engagement/rings/52rd65.html we were a little disappointed with ours-we had not placed a price restriction to customisation on them, we had not yet exhausted our budget and felt their requested price was fair given the standards we expected from them.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

little_birdie|1397039626|3650379 said:
He agrees with me now that he's seen the ring in person.
Edit: I have more than one email address-turns out my SO had forwarded the email he received to the one I don't regularly check

Given that Tacori had managed to create this ring https://www.facebook.com/TACORI/pho...39/10152337321124040/?type=1&relevant_count=1 from this setting http://www.tacori.com/engagement/rings/52rd65.html we were a little disappointed with ours-we had not placed a price restriction to customisation on them, we had not yet exhausted our budget and felt their requested price was fair given the standards we expected from them.

That setting is a much better, easier candidate for changing the head to accommodate various shapes because the halo sits on top of the shank. With your setting, the head has to insert into the shank. I'm not sure if if I grabbed the right picture of your setting, but compare how the two are put together and you can see how it would be easier to redesign the halo on top of the shanks than to completely redesign an integrated head. Peg head or halo style would be easier to reshape for a heart.

I agree that Tacori should have done better. A heart is a "round" shape. They needed to make the outer shape of the head flow with the lines of the heart, and I don't think they did a good enough job of that. But it does look like a heart on your hand. If you don't like the look of the setting, David Klass has make some Tacori-esq settings.

_16776.jpg

_16777.jpg

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The prongs look way better in your photo. Lovely ring. I think 5 prongs is more secure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results