shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearly 2015 Projects or desired acquisitions

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
cmd2014- I think a 26" to 29" length would be good including weight issues. I am thinking about having two tahitian strands put together which would be 35" but removing a few would create the 26" to 29" length, should't hit.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
seaurchin|1420537117|3812469 said:
I would love to have a gigantic pearl the size of a golf ball! Not being able to move all day at all would be quite an acceptable trade off to me. :naughty:
But, pity the poor oyster! :-o

mynattk, congratulations! If it's a boy, blue Akoyas are perfect. :angel:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1420575670|3812629 said:
cmd2014- I think a 26" to 29" length would be good including weight issues. I am thinking about having two tahitian strands put together which would be 35" but removing a few would create the 26" to 29" length, should't hit.
Frost Me - That is what I did for my multi-color Tahitian rounds. I used two strands, and pulled out about 7" for a bracelet. That gives a 28" necklace, which is a nice long length, but does not crash into things. It all depends on how it hits your bust line as to how good it will look. Since the clasps match, I can put the bracelet into the necklace for the full 35", but I don't often do that. It depends on the outfit I'm wearing.

As it turns out, I find myself wearing the bracelet nearly every day along with various other necklaces. :))

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
That is what I want a tahitian bracelet, Flygirl does your bracelet get bumped or scratched? I'll bet you are super careful. My quest for 2015 is also a white pearl bracelet either Akoya or Metallic Freshadama in white I just want a round very look, may have to consider Freshadama.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Frost Me|1420597830|3812789 said:
That is what I want a tahitian bracelet, Flygirl does your bracelet get bumped or scratched? I'll bet you are super careful. My quest for 2015 is also a white pearl bracelet either Akoya or Metallic Freshadama in white I just want a round very look, may have to consider Freshadama.

Well, I sometimes take it off it I'm doing a lot of writing because it does drag around on the desk. But, I'm mostly typing and it is no problem. And, pearls are fairly tough, so a few bumps against the desk aren't a problem. I'm not sure what would scratch it, maybe zippers? Yes, I'm careful there. I like to have the length short enough so that it stays up on the wrist and doesn't impede me using my hand.

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
ckrickett|1420086321|3810359 said:
2015 is just a few hours away! HUZZAH!

and (please don't tar and feather me) I LOVE Harry potter, and I have a very inexpensive golden snitch pendant. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could recreate it with a GSS and 14kt gold wing charms. We will see!

large.jpg

You know what I think would be fun? A small openable snitch made out of a hollowed out GSS- something like a locket maybe. Though I don't know how realistic that would be.

As for my own goals...Well, I guess a pearl ring would be nice. Specifically a SoC pearl ring :3

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
michellechan2211|1420604084|3812834 said:

and (please don't tar and feather me) I LOVE Harry potter, and I have a very inexpensive golden snitch pendant. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could recreate it with a GSS and 14kt gold wing charms. We will see!

large.jpg

You know what I think would be fun? A small openable snitch made out of a hollowed out GSS- something like a locket maybe. Though I don't know how realistic that would be.

As for my own goals...Well, I guess a pearl ring would be nice. Specifically a SoC pearl ring :3

I have a SoC mabe ring and I ADORE it, I am hoping for matching earrings, but I have to wait for my lower holes to close up more.

photo_1_122.jpg photo_2_113.jpg ring_1__2_.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I went a little crazy in the last 7 months since I “rediscovered” pearls thanks to this forum, the other forum and Pearl Paradise, so I have to “slow my roll” a bit in 2015. 2014 was the “Year of the Strands” for me – I bought 8 without planning to (between the Tahitian sale, the Connoisseur’s sale and Cyber Monday, I kept finding special strands that might be very difficult or impossible to find again later). This year, I want to acquire a couple of necklaces that are different than straight strands, like tin cups on gold chains or scattered pearls strung with faceted gemstone beads or pearls mixed with large silver links.

I have been inspired by Pinkjewel’s pastel Tahitian and black spinel necklaces from Pearl Paradise, as well as similar scattered pearl necklaces with faceted diamonds, spinels, quartz, tourmaline and other gemstone beads by Gellner and Kathleen Dughi. I know I want to do something with black spinel beads, and maybe some other colored gemstone beads mixed in.

So many colors of pearls and beads from which to choose:

_25846.jpg

gellner7-l.jpg

segreto_black__amp__white_rough_diamonds.jpg

segreto_south_sea_and_tahitian_pearl_and_diamond_necklaces.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I can’t decide if I want to do 1 or 2 long ropes that can be doubled, tripled, and maybe even quadrupled, or just do a short multi-strand necklace, where the pearls can be positioned for maximum effect at the front.

Long strand doubled:

Long strand(s) quadrupled:

Multi-strand necklace (picture this with 5 strands of faceted gemstone beads instead of leather and 10-15 scattered pearls):

Maybe a necklace similar to this bracelet, but longer and with a lot more pearls, lol:

black_and_brown_diamonds.jpg

gellner_black_diamonds_2.jpg

gellner_pearl_style_leather_multi-strand_2.jpg

gellner_pearl_style_5.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I covet 4RanchGirl’s multi-color metallic freshwater 42” YG tin cup.

Bsomlo’s recent pictures of her lovely new peach-pink metallic strand from PP reminded me I want to do something with metallic FW pearls. Multi-color metallic FW pearls might be an interesting choice to use with the black spinel necklace; otherwise, I can see doing a tin cup with YG chain or long YG wave spacer beads.

I’ve become intrigued with GSS pearls lately, especially after seeing IcyJade’s stunning drops from Golay and Sparks1007’s beautiful Jewelmer Noel pendant. I have never tried on GSS pearls, so I will have to see if they even look good with my coloring. I usually dislike shades of yellow, orange and gold in clothing, but these golden pearls have caught my eye lately. If they look good on me, I can see trying to buy 1 large, smooth drop for a pendant or mixing a few GSS in with the spinel necklace. Or I could go for broke with a long WSS & GSS lariat like this one:

Other yummy choices:

I’m also on the hunt for a large, high luster Tahitian baroque drop to make an enhancer pendant to wear with a chain or suspended from the Orbit clasp of my Loot 2 Tahitian strand when I wear it as a lariat.

metallic_fw_tincup2__4rg_.jpg

south_sea_pearl__amp__yellow_gold_tincup.jpg

ss_10-13mm_with_yg_wave_beads.jpg

multicolor_baroque_south_sea_pearl_2.jpg

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Oooh, such a pleasure when you show up Kay, with these intoxicating, inspiring photos of dream pearls ... my list just go a lot longer :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
CRDKeshi|1420679174|3813224 said:
Oooh, such a pleasure when you show up Kay, with these intoxicating, inspiring photos of dream pearls ... my list just go a lot longer :)

Thanks, I'm always happy to enable. ;)) :naughty:

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, ennui ::) we just found out it's a girl, so maybe something pink? Or gold... or blue.. ;))

ckrickett, I love your mabe ring. I bet it's fun to stare at all day just sitting there on your finger.

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words Kay! I love all ththe photos you post. Those necklaces with the spinels and pearls wrapped multiple times are beautiful. I love the leather one - although I know you said you wanted gemstones, I would love a leather one like that...

Hmmmm....now I have some ideas for the year!

I really want to try and find some casual ways to wear pearls. I'm not a traditional pearly person so it's fascinating to see other options. Thanks so much! :) I also want a WSS strand though. Tell you what though, Jewelmer has spoilt me for anything else! Might have a look round this weekend. We'll see.

CRDKeshi

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Mynattk :)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
mynattk|1420689230|3813311 said:
Thank you, ennui ::) we just found out it's a girl, so maybe something pink? Or gold... or blue.. ;))

ckrickett, I love your mabe ring. I bet it's fun to stare at all day just sitting there on your finger.

Congratulations, Mynattk! Is this your first child? I have 2 little girls, and they are a lot of fun. (They are already trying to wear my pearls and other jewelry at ages 6 and 3.)

Some gorgeous pink metallic FW pearls would be appropriate to celebrate a girl, or any color you really love. (Maybe blue baroque akoyas with pink overtones. ;)) ) My gift from DH to celebrate the birth of our second daughter, who has pearl as her birthstone, was a strand of white South Sea and silver and black Tahitian pearls, so it doesn't have to be pink.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Kay, I can't really tell what kind of gemstones are in those necklaces, but wanted to say that labradorite rondels play well with Tahitians. It's a softer look than the black spinel.

I think leather and pearls look beach-y.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
ennui|1420752417|3813691 said:
Kay, I can't really tell what kind of gemstones are in those necklaces, but wanted to say that labradorite rondels play well with Tahitians. It's a softer look than the black spinel.

I think leather and pearls look beach-y.

I Thought Labradorite as well... I also love smokey topaz and dark pearls.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the eye candy, Kay!

mynattk

Shiny_Rock
Thanks CRDKeshi and Kay. It will be our first and I already bought myself a little Tahitian and diamond pendant to celebrate getting past 3 months of 24-hour "morning" sickness. ;))

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Kay|1420664039|3813117 said:
I’ve become intrigued with GSS pearls lately, especially after seeing IcyJade’s stunning drops from Golay and Sparks1007’s beautiful Jewelmer Noel pendant. I have never tried on GSS pearls, so I will have to see if they even look good with my coloring. I usually dislike shades of yellow, orange and gold in clothing, but these golden pearls have caught my eye lately. If they look good on me, I can see trying to buy 1 large, smooth drop for a pendant or mixing a few GSS in with the spinel necklace. Or I could go for broke with a long WSS & GSS lariat like this one:

Kay - I keep thinking that if you don't wear it much, the pearls in your new free-form white SS necklace would be good candidates to recycle in a mixed SS, or spinel, or with some other gemstone spacers (perhaps hematite?). The stunning part of that necklace is the clasp, but otherwise, I like larger pearls on you. Your mixed grey/white pearl power necklace is a perfect size, and I'm guessing you wear it more than the new white SS.

My bet is that you will love golden SS. :naughty:

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock
ckrickett|1420652261|3813012 said:

I have a SoC mabe ring and I ADORE it, I am hoping for matching earrings, but I have to wait for my lower holes to close up more.

You're enabling me ;A; That ring is so lovely T_T Though I would've gone more delicate for myself anyway so =X

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Inspired by pkinnew and Gellner necklaces, I bought some spinel and coated sapphires from Etsy and separated my necklace into 2 lots, I need to decide on the length and spacing of the pearls, this should me out of trouble this weekend. :Up_to_something:

_25918.jpg

_25919.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I want a Tahitian round strand, made of pearls no larger than 10 mm, but with a dark body color. Not sure if I want peacock. It seems like such a cliche.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1420875355|3814484 said:
I want a Tahitian round strand, made of pearls no larger than 10 mm, but with a dark body color. Not sure if I want peacock. It seems like such a cliche.

Have a look at the remaining Rikitea strands from Pearl Paradise, also I really like the look of the almost midnight strand and metallic Storm clouds strand from Kamokapearls. These are my favourites.

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
I would like something similar to this stunner by Kojima but in yellow gold with a baroque WSS. Lovely.

id_kdbr30-kdj1040-p6896-1_821_large.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Lovinggems|1420876720|3814487 said:

Have a look at the remaining Rikitea strands from Pearl Paradise, also I really like the look of the almost midnight strand and metallic Storm clouds strand from Kamokapearls. These are my favourites.
Thanks, Lovinggems. I may have to go for baroque because these are out of my price range. Do they ever go on sale? I guess PP has 20% off sometimes.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1420951222|3814798 said:
Lovinggems|1420876720|3814487 said:

Thanks, Lovinggems. I may have to go for baroque because these are out of my price range. Do they ever go on sale? I guess PP has 20% off sometimes.

Yes the Rikitea strand qualified for the discount code last time. I think non Rikiteas may be less expensive. If you have the chance before buying do try on pearls with different body colors and overtones. I think the sellers go on a big buying trips each March and September/October so I am waiting to see what new things they will be bringing in. I love baroques too and they are usually more colourful than an all round strand. Not sure when Kamoka have their sales, I just signed up to their mailing list.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
I love all of these ideas! I hope everyone's dreams come true this year!

For me, I'm pretty happy with what I have but I can always be tempted lol! I would like to find a drop SOC rainbow pearl to add to my charm bracelet (to match the earrings) and one large neon blue pearl for an enhancer. That's not asking too much is it???

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
ckrickett|1420652261|3813012 said:

large.jpg

You should try Lobe Wonder...they are little plastic tabs (kind of like clear bandaids, without the gauze) that you stick behind your lobes for support. They are thin but strong enough to keep pearls from falling forward, or hanging earrings from drooping too low. I wear them daily. You can get them on drugstore.com and they are pretty inexpensive. I wish I knew about them when I was in my 20s and 30s (think disco era into the 80s)! I have two daughters who use them now...my oldest has multiple piercings and it helps to keep other studs stable.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results