shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear shaped engagement rings AND wedding bands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetpink, I found the head on my ring in the Stuller Findings Catalog - it is stock number 336 in a 13 x 8 mm size. Would have preferred the one in the next post but it was not available in my stone size (up to 12 x 8 mm only).

Stuller 336.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the head I preferrred (#2559 Pear Peg Setting with V-End) but it is offered only in sizes 5.5x3.5mm to 12x8mm (and my stone is 12.99 x 7.91 mm). Hope this helps.

Stuller 2559.jpg

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Thank you, thank you!!!
35.gif

I am going to save those pictures. I went to the jeweler and they did not have any stones that we were very happy with. It's funny how they try to over charge you on stones.
38.gif
They were going to charge me thousands more for a lower color and clarity grade stone, with a not so pretty length to width ratio....than the prices I am finding from pricescope.

I am really thinking of taking the GIA course, to educate myself better. I am looking for a D SI1 witihn the .78- 1.00 range.

CFlutist, there was a woman there who had a pear almost as big as yours but not nearly as brilliant and sparkly. It had that fuzzy pear bottom , if you know what I mean...your does not have that. Can give me some expert advice on what to look for in a pear?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted this back in August 2004, but here it is again:

The PS forum members are going to shoot me, but it is my opinion that the outline (or shape appeal as they call it in the GIA diamond grading class) is the most important consideration when chosing a pear. Otherwise you would be buying a RB instead. Is the outline pleasing to the eye, is it even, is the head pleasingly rounded, are the shoulders gently but distinctly and evenly rounded, do the wings or sides curve in attractive arches? In other words, does it look more like a teardrop (more desirable) or a trillion (less desirable).

After that, I would consider the cut parameters which can be found on the AGA cut charts for a pear. Pay attention to the length to width ratio which is something not considered in RBs. Also stay away from stones with a dark bow-tie.

Color is a subjective thing. Some like the icy white of a D-E, others the warmness of an I-J. Pears may show more color in their tips, so the same considerations for color in a RB also apply for a pear but maybe more so.

Clarity considerations for a pear are the same as RB (not like ECs). In my opinion, SI1 or better.

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Please forgive me for so many questions, but I also noticed that in some of your pics that are taken in the sunlight...I do not see the bow tie effect in the middle. I read that all fancy shapes have a bow tie....so is it because of your ideal (for a pear) table and depth proportions, that make your bow tie invisible? Or non- existent?

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Alas, I am not an expert on pears, just an amateur, but from the knowledge I''ve gathered so far, there isn''t one surefire way to insure you don''t have a strong bowtie in fancy shapes. Basically, you have to see the stones in diff lights to determine if the bowtie is acceptable to you. My pear has zero bowtie in sunlight, diffuse movie theater/coffee house lighting, but a noticeable bowtie in my office fluorescent lighting. Definitely having a very good cut (only RB''s have the "Ideal" cut grade) will help to minimize the bowtie, and I believe that symmetry helps a lot too, but past that, I have no idea.

Personally, I won''t ever buy a fancy - pear, marquise, cushion, asscher, etc - sight unseen unless I''m working with a reputable PS vendor whose opinion I know I can trust. However, I feel quite confident that I could buy a fabuluous RB just by the numbers because they are much more standardized.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results