shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear shaped engagement rings AND wedding bands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Any nice pictures of a complete set? All I''ve been able to find are bands that are curved to fit around the base of the pear. How can you avoid doing that? If I''m leaning toward a pear and I''d really like a matching wedding band to go with it that can be worn alone any suggestions?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Two quick ideas come to mind...the first is to have the pear set as a solitaire so that the band will be able to stack next to it (see below) due to the angle of the prongs.

The second is to do what I'm trying to do now...have the pear set high so that the wedding ring will stack next to the shank of the e-ring, but the wide part of the pear will actually come over the wedding ring...it will look like there are 2 bands underneath your pear. I don't have a pic of this yet. Just the first option, which was my original setting.

Just the first 2 things that come to mind...I hope I'm understanding what you mean by "matching" wedding band...

abcd3.jpg

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Yes you are! Sounds good to me...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2005 3:16:52 PM
Author:northstar_78
Any nice pictures of a complete set? All I''ve been able to find are bands that are curved to fit around the base of the pear. How can you avoid doing that? If I''m leaning toward a pear and I''d really like a matching wedding band to go with it that can be worn alone any suggestions?
My eternity band (1.00 TW D-E/VVS stones) fits flush against my e-ring (3.01 F-SI1 pear + .70 TW F-G/VS). If you look carefully at the head, you will see that it protrudes outward from the ring above where the w-ring would go.

small PA231360a wedding set.JPG

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Okay I have to stop drooling...hehe! There''s a ring that I saw in an earlier post and I had to go to the icestore.com website to check it out.

favorites...http://www.icestore.com/gallery/diamond_ring_gallery_detail.asp?ID=23

Do you think a small pear would work well in that setting too? Or maybe straight baguettes instead of tapered?

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 3:38:38 PM
Author: northstar_78
Okay I have to stop drooling...hehe! There''s a ring that I saw in an earlier post and I had to go to the icestore.com website to check it out.

favorites...http://www.icestore.com/gallery/diamond_ring_gallery_detail.asp?ID=23

Do you think a small pear would work well in that setting too? Or maybe straight baguettes instead of tapered?

I think if you want to do a pear in this setting, it would have to be a custom job to remove the bottom v-prong and change the side prongs too. It might end up being a 4-prong setting, and it''s up to you if you''re comfortable with that. Here''s some mock-ups I did quickly to illustrate what I''m talking about:

Here, you''ll want to change this v-prong to a straight prong for the round end of the pear, and to keep the profiles looking similar.

GAL2015C.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the other picture. Again, to keep the profiles looking the same, I would remove the 4 side prongs and instead put in one prong in the center (would have to move the baguette down the shank a bit). I personally would be more comfortable with only 4 prongs than with 6 prongs with a small pear (how small out of curiosity??)so the prongs don''t overwhelm the stone, but that''s simply a matter of taste.

Otherwise, to keep the side profiles similar (cause they''re scrumptious on the original design, IMO!!), you''d have 3 prongs sitting pretty close together on the rounded end and 3 other prongs, including your v-prong, not so close together on the pointed end.

Hope that helps you visualize a bit!!!

GAL2015B.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2005 3:38:38 PM
Author: northstar_78

It looks rather dainty to me... can''t see whay not!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
FYI, when I was looking at the website, I noticed that that particular ring is not for sale, it's an example of a ring someone else had done, and you can work with them to customize your own, so I don't think you need to worry about the prongs in the way JCJD has mentioned. If whomever won't make it with a pear head (which I'm sure they would) then JCJD's points are a concern. You also have options in that regard...6 prong versus 5 prong plus v-tip, etc.

I love the engraving on the shank and how the band tapers at the head. I think a pear would look nice in it!

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
You rock! Thanks so much...as for altering the prongs I''m fine with that. In fact, there are several other aspects of the ring I''d like to change...I do think it sits a bit high and all that elaborate scrollwork underneath isn''t what I want. I also would want to have the shank shaped a little bit more like a square...but not a true Euroshank. I''m so glad that I found this picture on pricescope...I''ve never seen anything like it and its giving me good ideas.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooooooohhhh JCJD...pretty....look at that pear! YUMMY!!!! (I should have enlisted you to help me find new settings when I was looking!)
3.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2005 4:33:46 PM
Author: FireGoddess
oooooooohhhh JCJD...pretty....look at that pear! YUMMY!!!! (I should have enlisted you to help me find new settings when I was looking!)
3.gif

LOL!!! Any excuse to search for more eye-candy!!! Not like I''m working right now or anything!
24.gif
32.gif
Yeah right!!!!!
Anymore updates on your revised setting? Have you seen a wax yet?

Now, this is not a completed wedding set, but imagine (for now
27.gif
) a plain satin-finish platinum wedding-band with my (IMNSHO!!!) G
30.gif
RGE
30.gif
US e-ring!!! When FH and I have money someday, I''ll get a pave or shared prong 3/4 or 1/2 eternity diamond band.
31.gif

RingAndChristmas2004-94small.JPG

northstar_78

Shiny_Rock
Whoops...I forgot to say that I''m thinking of a center stone around one carat...I have a size 3.75 finger so I don''t want to go too big...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My rings totally don''t match. I had the 7 stone ring long before the semi-mount. I originally wore my .54 pear in a 6 prong solitaire with the 7 stone wedding band. Upgraded setting to the one shown and then upgraded center stone to the 1.12 pear I have now. One of these days I think I''ll start at the beginning and get them all to match!! When I''m working I just wear the 7 stone band. If the pear is prong set high enough most any band should fit well.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A basket setting (like the one with the baguettes) doesn''t seem to allow the w-band to sit totally flush with the ring. It could - I guess, if they didn''t decide to make the gallery so wide.

PearBasket.JPG

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Would it be possible to wear too "guard bands" around a pear center stone??? Does anybody do that and have pictures?

sweetpinkshubby

Rough_Rock
i saw the topic i knew you''d be here

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A warm welcome to sweetpink and sweetpinkshubby. Its nice to see another couple on PS.

Cflutist+Websailor

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Thanks,CFlutist. Reading all of you and Websailor''s great posts made me want to post too
35.gif

Very Funny Hubby...you know why I am looking at pears and asking that question don''t you??
12.gif

sweetpinkshubby

Rough_Rock
thank you cflutist as you can see i''m being sucked into my wife''s ps vortex
23.gif
and baby i could get you a pear from the produce section would that do?
emotion-5.gif

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
29.gif
29.gif

I didn''t know they sold diamonds in the supermarket
12.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Hey now!! Keep that lovey dovey talk to yourselves!! LOLOLOLOL!!!!!
25.gif
More talk about DIAMONDS!!!!!

Just kidding - you two are too cute!!!!!

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
This is my ring...I am looking to change the center stone to a slightly bigger pear.I like the look of my guard bands....do you think this would work? I don''t see alot of pear shaped rings with guard bands. Does any body know of settings that sit slightly higher up...so the bottom of the pear would not scrape the diamonds on the guard band?

meshie120218.jpg

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I think you could definitely set a pear high enough on your ering that your w-guard wouldn''t touch it. Cflutist''s pear (scroll up) is set higher than her wring, for example. It looks like the jeweler would just have to replace your existing center stone basket with one for a pear, which would have your pear sitting above your guard. Bring in your ideas and concerns to a jeweler and see what they say. I''m looking forward to what you decide to do! I''d love to see a pear in your setting!! (Sorry sweetpinkshubby!!!)

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
Actually...CFlutist has the type of "accomodating" prongs I am looking for...I think
33.gif
...can you give me a close up of the stone sitting on the prongs if possible. Thank you

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that should work. I am not sure of the technical name for my style of head (think it is called a "peg" mounting), but I know it is not of the basket style.

I have never cared for basket style heads because they make the stone difficult to clean from the pavillion. With mine, the stone is fully accessible for cleaning with a toothbrush and dishwashing liquid plus it allows you to wear a w-ring next to it.

There is another close-up picture of the head here

SweetPink

Rough_Rock
That''s exaclty what I am thinking of. I am going today to look at some stones and discuss these concerns with my jeweler. Thanks for the link,Cflutist.. and the inspiration. jcjd

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results