shape
carat
color
clarity

Pave Ring Advice...PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I believe I have found my center stone for my ring. It has been sent away for certs, so we will see. However, it is an oval 2.32ct natural burmese ruby 9.1x7.2x4.4. I want this set in a pave halo and a pave shank. I met with my jeweler last night and she says she wants the diamonds to be ''substantial'' next to the ruby. I do understand this, as I want sparkle too. She plans on doing a one sided pave around the halo at 3 points and then the shank of the band at 1.5 points. My ring size is a 4 1/2 and I just dont want it to be too much. The stone will be prong set above the halo

Any ideas, will the halo be too thick (cocktail ring looking), is it common to have the halo wider than the bands?

I really like the size of the stones on this ring from dcd,will mine be substantially bigger than this?

thank you so much for the advice!!!

dcdring.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I''d want to see a wax for sure--I prefer a thinner halo myself, and I think it''d look lovely w/ a Ruby. (Have you seen MINE!''s pave halo-set spess?)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
My advice, though I am biased, is to go more with 2 pointers in the halo and in the shank. I wonder if the 3 point halo, especially in such a small ring size, is going to be overpowering.

You may want to PM Reena to find out how big the melee is in her halo ring. Her center stone is a cushion and can be found in this thread. Her ring size is a 4.25, and her cushion is just over 2 cts, so that should give you some ideas as to how the ring could look, depending on how big her melee is versus yours.

Here's a picture of her ring:

reyonce.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
personally 3 pointers will make it cocktail ring-ish. IMO 3pts is not pave anymore --its bead set..............i think you will lose the delicacy i think you want. i would do 2..................

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I think you definitely need to see the wax first to be sure, but I think that 3 pointers might be too big and will detract from the Ruby and possibly make it cocktail-ish looking.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am goin g to jump on the band wagon here.. I think that 3ptrs are going to make it look cocktailish. Stay with the smaller and you will get that yummy look I think you are looking for.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a great halo oval ring that was posted previously but Trevor (the poster) hasn''t posted anything since May, so I doubt you''ll get any answers to how big the melee is (he never said)...and I don''t know which PS vendor he used to make the ring. But here are the dimensions of the stone: The diamond''s a 1.60ct VS2 with J color. Measurements are 9.24x6.59x4.14.
He also never said what ring size the ring was. But maybe someone can figure the melee size out??!

trevor.jpg

icekid

Ideal_Rock
well, everyone else has stated my thoughts pretty much already
1.gif
i really don''t think three pointer would look the best. but 2 sounds perfect.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2005 7:22:02 PM
Author:msflutter

I really like the size of the stones on this ring from dcd,will mine be substantially bigger than this?
Those must be 1 point or a bit less - not three times smaller, but quite a bit so. Larger pave stones will not provide more 'sparkle' necesarily - this is to some extent true, but not very much so... better quality diamonds do a greta job and, IMO setting them tighter makes the ultimate difference. The larger the stones, the more visible the gaps between them though.
7.gif

How about this one:

lighterfrontside.jpg

The ring belongs to 'happysnowbunny' and there are more pictures on her thread.

You could ask your jeweler how many stones will be set around the ruby (an approximate number - give or take one should be feasible) and compare that with some rings you like.

As much as I can tell...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frankly I wouldn''t go above 1 pointers or 1.5 pointers on the halo.

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
You ladies have been ever so helpful, thank you! Luckily she wont even start the wax till I get the ring certs, but I would have no idea what I was doing if it wasnt for PS.

I will definately not get 3 points, nothing more than two. I really want this to be delicate looking, not some insanely large cocktail ring. I dont really even understand what a point is (other than a measurement of small stones) and have had a hard time figuring it out. Everyone agrees though 3 points is too big for a halo.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
if i were you i would go to some jewelry stores that carry ritani, maybe tiffany & co if you live near one............anywhere with current designs which certainly includes lots of pave................... and ask the sales people...........what are the points on this one etc etc. it might give you more certainty. what if you see a bunch with 2pts and you think its too big? or too small?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out diamondlil''s beautiful halo ring, in this thread. She has 1 pointers in the halo and 2 pointers in the shank. This is the best picture I could find of the size difference, but there''s lots more big beautiful pictures in her thread! Her stone is 2+ cts.

diamondlilpearmelee.jpg

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Tiffanys on Michigan Avenue on my lunch hour yesterday. Tried on the legacy ring, beautiful! It was 1.8ct for $38,000. She said that the pointers on that were under one point. Approximately .8 pts. I will definately not want 3 points.

The problem with going in jewelery stores to try on rings is I always buy something. So I now have 2 pairs of overprced earings. The mesh knot and the teardrop that goes straight through your ear..... Tiffanys does have some nice silver pieces.

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Hey Mrs. Flutter! I saw these and was wondering which was closer to the proportions of your ruby stone? Just curious!
31.gif
How did the meeting with your jeweler go today?

coloredstoneovalhalos.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Late chiming in here but I agree 1 pointers for the halo...I think anything bigger ends up taking a bit of the focus from the center stone, unless the center stone is a 10c!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I spent nearly two hours last night at the jewelers. I could not decide if the stone was the right one for me. It isnt exactly what I wanted but it is SO pretty. The jeweler explained the merits of the ruby, also that there was 20% extinction and that all rubys have some flaws. She is however going to bangkok in just over a week, so there was no pressure, she could find me something else. I decided to go with the stone. It is the prettiest ruby I had seen and it was under my budget, and I know there is better, you can always find better, but I want my ring!

Matatora, It is 9.08x7.03x4 (2.32cts) so it is approximately the shape of the emerald in the beautiful picture you posted.

After much discussion we decided to go with two pointers in the halo and 1 1/2 pointers in the shank. I am inspired by firegoddess'' ring and that is the size of her pointers. I cant wait to see the wax! It will be done in a week!!! I hope it isnt overpowering.... we will see!

widget

Ideal_Rock
How exciting!!!!!

I hope you''ll post pictures!

widget

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/7/2005 8:29:05 AM
Author: msflutter
I spent nearly two hours last night at the jewelers. I could not decide if the stone was the right one for me. It isnt exactly what I wanted but it is SO pretty. The jeweler explained the merits of the ruby, also that there was 20% extinction and that all rubys have some flaws. She is however going to bangkok in just over a week, so there was no pressure, she could find me something else. I decided to go with the stone. It is the prettiest ruby I had seen and it was under my budget, and I know there is better, you can always find better, but I want my ring!

Matatora, It is 9.08x7.03x4 (2.32cts) so it is approximately the shape of the emerald in the beautiful picture you posted.

After much discussion we decided to go with two pointers in the halo and 1 1/2 pointers in the shank. I am inspired by firegoddess'' ring and that is the size of her pointers. I cant wait to see the wax! It will be done in a week!!! I hope it isnt overpowering.... we will see!
thats terrrific...................i think you could search forever for a colored stone that is "perfect" ..........i know i did for a while and gave up and went back to a diamond. your ruby sounds splendid and the design will be gorgeous

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see your ring!!! I think it''s going to look gorgeous. It''s hard to have patience with these things...but I think it''s going to look stunning with the ruby center.

That teardrop earring from Tiffs is my favorite one....I want it! I keep searching ebay (I know most of those are fakes)...but I''d take the look w/o the pricetag!!
2.gif
Still haven''t gotten any though...the bids get too high!

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
It is terribly hard to have patience with these things, I am already second guessing myself and and considering recalling the stone immediately. I do hope it turns out well and I just need to focus my attention on something else. Easier said than done!

n

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results