shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Poptart and LoveinBloom!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
poptart, I have to have one of them at some point in my life, it''s a necessity. I didn''t fully realise that all the flowers and detail are hand engraved and chased. I kinda thought they were stamped out then detailed by hand, but I saw a ring before any work was done on it and it''s just smooth metal. Amazing!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It really is amazing. Did you learn how the dye struck process works at all? I think it would be fascinating and very rewarding to create jewelry like that. I would love it!!

*M*

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 1:46:34 AM
Author: poptart
It really is amazing. Did you learn how the dye struck process works at all? I think it would be fascinating and very rewarding to create jewelry like that. I would love it!!

*M*

No it took so long to try on all the rings
2.gif
my 2 yr old was losing patience with the whole process. Larry said that they even have to make their own tools to be able to make the rings because no-one makes those kind of tools any more. Next time I hope to leave everyone at home and have some time to myself to visit and talk more. I really wanted to look at where everything was made, I just got to look as I was walking by. I LOVE stuff like that, love knowing how things are made.

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Angeline, carry on as much as you want; I love to hear all about it!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Oh and not being wonka-esque is a good thing. LOL, that Larry is a charmer. I'm so happy you found a set there! Thank you so much for sharing and please be sure to post more details of the visit as they may revisit you later since it sounds like such an exciting trip
9.gif
2.gif
9.gif
9.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
These pics are a couple of years old, but I suspect the place hasn''t changed much!
1.gif

Anyway it was like stepping back in time. Took a tiny elevator up 3 floors, got out and immediately wanted to take a picture of the glass door with gold lettering ''Van Craeynest'' that was the original door from the 40''s.

0vc2966.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: angeline
It''s hard to describe the office, it''s so kind of OLD with things everywhere
Well, this isn''t the office....it''s the work room!

00vc937.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: poptart
I still don''t understand how the dye struck process works, but I did get a picture of a dye...(I think!)

0ovc36.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
widget, those pics are priceless. VC is one place I''d love to visit sometime. so, interesting.

angeline, sounds like you had a super day and I can''t wait to see your ring all complete. Doesn''t time fly when your in places like that? Hours feel like minutes when looking at pretty baubles
1.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Widget
6.gif
! Thank you so much for posting your pictures! I forgot that you went to visit VC to get your gondola ring and I was wondering if you would drop by this thread to add some goodies. Boy was that a pleasant surprise!!! BTW, I have total westcoast envy. DF is possibly looking at CalTech for some research opps after he gets his PhD...I grew up on the east coast but I hear the west wind calling my name
9.gif
10.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
wow widget you put me to shame!! Thanks for posting those pictures, I don''t feel so bad now
1.gif

We talked about your ring widget, Larry said how he wasn''t sure if it would work but was so happy with the way it turned out.

LiB I will be sure to post whatever I can remember as you''re interested, thanks!

mrssalvo, there''s never enough time for sparklies!! I really wanted to pack up his cases of rings and take them home for a week or two! I just have to get my sort of upgrade worked out (tomorrow hopefully) then I''ll have my stone. YAy!

LooovveiiinBloooommmm, LovveinBllooooooooommmmmm...... that''s the west wind calling your name
9.gif
come and play over here for a while!
9.gif

a

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m glad to hear your visit went well and that you picked out rings!!! I so wish I could go there and see them all! Now to go look up which ring you chose!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 10:45:40 AM

LiB I will be sure to post whatever I can remember as you're interested, thanks!

mrssalvo, there's never enough time for sparklies!! I really wanted to pack up his cases of rings and take them home for a week or two! I just have to get my sort of upgrade worked out (tomorrow hopefully) then I'll have my stone. YAy!

LooovveiiinBloooommmm, LovveinBllooooooooommmmmm...... that's the west wind calling your name
9.gif
9.gif

a
Thank you Angeline for serenading me, that was just lovely
30.gif
1.gif
36.gif
1.gif
30.gif
hehe.

Lately there have just been so many signs pointing for me to move westward...it is quite eerie. Oh, and I had a quick chat with Larry today about my 'top secret' wedding project. It won't be done for at least another two weeks. If you will swear to secrecy here...I'll ask him to let you have a peek at it the next time you are at the workshop
10.gif
. Only condition would be that you let me know how it looks without actually saying what it is (b/c that's the secret
31.gif
). Let me know if you accept this proposition, comrade!

...and good luckins with your sort of upgrade Angeline! Hope everything goes along smoothly for you!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 11:55:56 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''m glad to hear your visit went well and that you picked out rings!!! I so wish I could go there and see them all! Now to go look up which ring you chose!

diamondseeker I mentioned your cross too but as I didn''t have a camera I didn''t ask to take a pic. I will next time I go though! As to which rings I chose, I think I''m sure but I''ve been known to change my mind, oh about 1000 times before!

a

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 2:59:30 PM
Author: Love in Bloom
Date: 6/26/2007 10:45:40 AM

LiB I will be sure to post whatever I can remember as you're interested, thanks!

mrssalvo, there's never enough time for sparklies!! I really wanted to pack up his cases of rings and take them home for a week or two! I just have to get my sort of upgrade worked out (tomorrow hopefully) then I'll have my stone. YAy!

LooovveiiinBloooommmm, LovveinBllooooooooommmmmm...... that's the west wind calling your name
9.gif
9.gif

a

Thank you Angeline for serenading me, that was just lovely
30.gif
1.gif
36.gif
1.gif
30.gif
hehe.

Lately there have just been so many signs pointing for me to move westward...it is quite eerie. Oh, and I had a quick chat with Larry today about my 'top secret' wedding project. It won't be done for at least another two weeks. If you will swear to secrecy here...I'll ask him to let you have a peek at it the next time you are at the workshop
10.gif
. Only condition would be that you let me know how it looks without actually saying what it is (b/c that's the secret
31.gif
). Let me know if you accept this proposition, comrade!

...and good luckins with your sort of upgrade Angeline! Hope everything goes along smoothly for you!

I'm up to the mission mon capitain! *salutes* If you can get me your email somehow I could even send you a pic, although you might not want that, might ruin the surprise. I'm not sure if it's a secret from you, or just the general world?

My sort of upgrade is a size slight downgrade (maybe) but a color/clarity upgrade. I originally was going to go the other way but something about these settings won me over and I thought that a smaller stone wouldn't be all that bad. Anyway I'm only talking lke .1ct smaller. I just got the images for one of contenders, I get the other images tomorrow then I'll post in Rocky Talky. I'm on tenterhookls! This is all for my 10 yr anniversary. I'm an old girl compared to you spring chickens
9.gif

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2007 4:36:30 PM

I''m up to the mission mon capitain! *salutes* If you can get me your email somehow I could even send you a pic, although you might not want that, might ruin the surprise. I''m not sure if it''s a secret from you, or just the general world?

My sort of upgrade is a size slight downgrade (maybe) but a color/clarity upgrade. I originally was going to go the other way but something about these settings won me over and I thought that a smaller stone wouldn''t be all that bad. Anyway I''m only talking lke .1ct smaller. I just got the images for one of contenders, I get the other images tomorrow then I''ll post in Rocky Talky. I''m on tenterhookls! This is all for my 10 yr anniversary. I''m an old girl compared to you spring chickens
9.gif

a
Holy cow Angeline,
36.gif
30.gif
2.gif
congrats on your 10 year anniversary
2.gif
30.gif
36.gif
! It doesn''t sound like you are an old hen, especially because having a toddler must keep you pretty spring y
1.gif

I''m not usually into all the number details on stones, but I''m excited to see what aspects about your diamond you will be changing. I fear knowing all the numbers that make a diamond look perfect to me will have me looking for an upgrade already and we are not even married yet! But it can''t hurt to look, right
31.gif
?

That is very sweet of you to offer to email me pics Angeline. I can wait, though. I know what VC is making for me, have a good idea of how it will look...but since it is a first-of-its-kind piece and Van Craeynest stuff always looks way better in person, I just want to be surprised when I see it for the first time. It is so rare that PSers have the opportunity to catch a glimpse of another PSers jewelry in person. I just thought since you appreciate all the details that VC puts into their pieces, you might enjoy having a peek at it
9.gif

BTW, I love the bands you picked out. It is especially nice that you know some history about the designs of each, although just seeing how pretty they are would still be enough for most ppl. I love it when a company can offer you those little extras that make the buying experience so special!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/26/2007 4:28:51 PM

diamondseeker I mentioned your cross too but as I didn''t have a camera I didn''t ask to take a pic. I will next time I go though! As to which rings I chose, I think I''m sure but I''ve been known to change my mind, oh about 1000 times before!

a
Did you actually see one? And if so, what did it look like?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Heck, I''m a lot older than all of you girls! Lol! But I think that testifies to the timelessness of these designs!

Actually, one concern I have had is that these rings do not call for large diamonds. Part of my confusion has been whether a smaller stone would look better in the setting I am looking at. What size stone are you setting, Angeline? I don''t remember if you have said.

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 11:35:29 AM

Yes...inquiring minds want to know
4.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 11:35:29 AM
Date: 6/26/2007 4:28:51 PM

a

No
8.gif
I said that I had promised to take a pic but I forgot my camera, so the conversation didn''t go any further than that. I will definitely ask next time, which should be within 2 weeks.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 11:40:10 AM
Heck, I''m a lot older than all of you girls! Lol! But I think that testifies to the timelessness of these designs!

Actually, one concern I have had is that these rings do not call for large diamonds. Part of my confusion has been whether a smaller stone would look better in the setting I am looking at. What size stone are you setting, Angeline? I don''t remember if you have said.

I agree with you 100%. I have a 2.1ct F SI2 and I was originally looking at trading up to a 3ct but dropping to I SI2 to do it. Then I started falling in love with these settings and thinking that a smaller stone would look much better, and the SI2 has always bugged me so I''m trading now to either a 2.03 D VS2 or 2.2 F VS2. Waiting on the IS from WF.

I think that smaller would be even nicer actually. There''s something so delicate and perfect looking about them with the smaller stones. Which setting are you looking at? Is it the one Cross calls Society Hill? I LOVE that one too. I tried it on and it has a bit of a 3-stone look to it with the sides. Gosh it''s so hard to make up one''s mind! How big is your stone?

a

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 8:00:22 AM
Author: Love in Bloom
Date: 6/26/2007 4:36:30 PM

I''m up to the mission mon capitain! *salutes* If you can get me your email somehow I could even send you a pic, although you might not want that, might ruin the surprise. I''m not sure if it''s a secret from you, or just the general world?

My sort of upgrade is a size slight downgrade (maybe) but a color/clarity upgrade. I originally was going to go the other way but something about these settings won me over and I thought that a smaller stone wouldn''t be all that bad. Anyway I''m only talking lke .1ct smaller. I just got the images for one of contenders, I get the other images tomorrow then I''ll post in Rocky Talky. I''m on tenterhookls! This is all for my 10 yr anniversary. I''m an old girl compared to you spring chickens
9.gif

a

Holy cow Angeline,
36.gif
30.gif
2.gif
congrats on your 10 year anniversary
2.gif
30.gif
36.gif
! It doesn''t sound like you are an old hen, especially because having a toddler must keep you pretty spring y
1.gif

I''m not usually into all the number details on stones, but I''m excited to see what aspects about your diamond you will be changing. I fear knowing all the numbers that make a diamond look perfect to me will have me looking for an upgrade already and we are not even married yet! But it can''t hurt to look, right
31.gif
?

That is very sweet of you to offer to email me pics Angeline. I can wait, though. I know what VC is making for me, have a good idea of how it will look...but since it is a first-of-its-kind piece and Van Craeynest stuff always looks way better in person, I just want to be surprised when I see it for the first time. It is so rare that PSers have the opportunity to catch a glimpse of another PSers jewelry in person. I just thought since you appreciate all the details that VC puts into their pieces, you might enjoy having a peek at it
9.gif

BTW, I love the bands you picked out. It is especially nice that you know some history about the designs of each, although just seeing how pretty they are would still be enough for most ppl. I love it when a company can offer you those little extras that make the buying experience so special!

I would be honored to have a preview of your weding design! How special - thank you! I''m glad you like that bands I chose. I hope to go without the child/husband next time so I can concentrate and I might change my mind, who knows?
31.gif
9.gif

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2007 12:08:24 PM

I would be honored to have a preview of your weding design! How special - thank you! I''m glad you like that bands I chose. I hope to go without the child/husband next time so I can concentrate and I might change my mind, who knows?
31.gif
9.gif

a
I''m sure whatever you pick will be stunning, especially with your new stone
10.gif
. I think anything goes, as long as you don''t turn into Veruca Salt
9.gif
. I cannot wait to go and visit, but it could probably be very dangerous for me to go and look at all of those rings in person. I may just faint!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
LiB, I''m quite new to the whole idea of antique style jewelry and I noticed a beautiful Greenlake ring you posted on another thread, so I thought to myself.... I bet LiB has a great list of beautiful jewelry sites of this style, and VC style, rings! So here I am to ask if you wouldn''t mind sharing just a couple of your favourite ring designer/manufacturers?

Thanks in advance!

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting assignment Angeline! It is funny because I was never really a jewelry person until I got my engagement ring, but pricescope has significantly changed that
6.gif
31.gif
40.gif
. I''ll try and put something together for ya
2.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LiB, I appreciate it! just whatever comes to mind...

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
In case you haven't guessed, I prefer the look of antique style rings. Ideally I would have had an actual antique engagement ring, but I really wanted a matching set (*cheesy*
16.gif
38.gif
I know) and I couldn't find one that I was completely thrilled with.

For now, Van Craeynest is definitely my favorite as if you coudln't already tell, hehe
9.gif
. It has been that way for as long as I have known about them. Love at first sight? Yup. I just adore and respect all that goes into their pieces
1.gif

If I were someone fancier than myself, I would spring for Michael Beaudry. Beaudry makes jewelry that is absolutely stunning from all angles. I think the styles are busy, but the designs are superb and offer sparkle aplenty! I also like that their website is fun and clever. The music gets old after a while, but it is fun to "loop" the items when you want zoom in on details.

Lately I have been lusting after something with vibrant color. I really like this ring by Charles Green:
Charles Green sapphire ring at Pearlman's
I emailed the company and they were very nice. I forgot to email them back...Ooops...I guess I should take care of that.

I don't think there is much about him here, or on his website (it is under construction), but I would love to have Cyrus Shennum make me something someday. You can read about one blogger's personal experience with him HERE . It doesn't hurt either that I think he is quite handsome
31.gif

I think Beverly K's designs are full of dreams and whimsy. They all look so delicate and regal. I frequently drool on my keyboard while looking at them on the Topazery website.

For some fun baubles, I really enjoy the designs of Lara Bohinc . I think I met her at a concert once and thought she was a stunning person. She has a fun website too. I like the modern vibes, but the designs still have a vintage feel to me. Her add campaigns used to be very naughty and I think she posed in them herself (nude)
6.gif
...needless to say I find her work and her taste in photography very intriguing.

When I was first considering a reset, the other contenders before I found VC were OGI Ltd. and Studio 311

OGI (Osnat Gad, NYC) has lots of continuous floral designs and beautiful stack rings. This was the first runner up to my VC set, only I would have had it made in platinum: OGI floral band . The flowers are hand burnished into the band, and are more abstract than the flowers on VC rings.The best pics I have seen of OGI are at Michael C Fina and, oddly enough, on amazon.com.

Studio 311 is based out of Napa, I think. Their rings are hand carved in wax and then cast, and the designs are a lot like celtic bands. They are very casual, and I really liked the the "Garden Gate" set you can see here at Artisan wedding rings . They look chunky in the pics but are really nice in person. The "starry night" set also looks absolutely awful in the pictures but really is nice in person. The thing that really bugged me about these rings is that the only head the company puts on the rings is a semi bezel, which was definitely not for me.

That is all I can recall at the moment, but I'll be sure to add more if I remember some.
26.gif
28.gif
26.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Love! (May I call you Love?
9.gif
) These are great links. I love wandering down the garden path of internet links, you never know where you might end up, and remembering where I came from takes a virtual trail of breadcrumbs... I''m sure I will have many hours of fun exploring these links.

I do very much love the Charles Green and Cyrus rings - yum yum! and yes I think I wouldn''t mind meeting the artist in this case
2.gif

Did you see the Summer Sale on the Lara Bohinc website? (very cool website btw, such a nice change)

sigh... so many jewels, so little time... back to exploring...

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
LOL, wander away! I wandered too at the Lara Bohinc website. There are so many things I want, want, want
31.gif
. But I have a wedding coming up and I have to consider buying things for that insead
14.gif
. Why did I ever agree to a wedding? I should just elope!

So here is the list, continued:

You already saw me post a ring from this company, but here is Green Lake''s website . Some PSers here have some VERY nice custom pieces from them, and I hear they are great to work with.

When I first started looking at erings, I stumbled on this site . I don''t know of anyone who has purchased from them, but the rings look impressive.

How could I forget James Meyer ? Shame on me! These settings are so delicate and stylish. Definitely one of my favorite designers. Oh and Kirkawa ... I''m not usually into mokume but Kirkawa rings could change that
3.gif

Have fun! Now I''m off to try and figure out which stone you chose
9.gif
LinB
2.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the new links. I''ve been having a great, obsessive time looking at everything. I found this pic which I hadn''t seen before on some website somewhere and I thought it was really pretty. I''ve always maintained that I dont'' like curved bands but this just blows that idea out of the water. It looks so gorgeous.

By the way I think I''m going for the F VS2. I hope to get it by Tuesday, then I''ll have to take another trip to VC and try rings on again. Darn it! such a sacrifice...
39.gif
9.gif

86Sm.jpg

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Angeline
1.gif
! So glad I'm not the only one who enjoys obsessing over sparklies. That is also a nice picture. It almost looks like the flowers are a different colour than the rest of the ring, like maybe they are done in rose gold. Even if it is just a shadow I still think it looks neat! I think I have seen that pic before at the ring trilogy. I hope the lady made a mistake in quoting $40,000 (
23.gif
) for that ring...I think it should be more like $4K especially since the diamond is so tiny. That curved band is just amazing and flowers and leaves look like they are just gently draped over the curves of it. ITA about not being crazy about curved bands, but they are just perfection together. Here is a not so good pic of the curved band with a different pierced ring. The pic you posted was way better, but I kind of like this picture too, it looks old and grainy, kind of victorian in a way. The pic is from Bijoux Extraordinaire. Unfortunately they are not nice ppl on the phone
38.gif

Oh and congrats on choosing your new diamond!! Like another PSer mentioned...you are educated enough to make an informed decision on diamonds, and the two you narrowed it down to are both stunning, so I'm sure whatever you pick will be fantastic. So you will get your stone this Tuesday or next Tuesday? Holy cow, getting it tomorrow would be super fast! Gotta love the instant gratification, especially when diamonds are involved
3.gif

LOL, when you go back to VC maybe you should ring Larry and tell him to clear his schedule...if/when I go I will probably want to do like you said previously and have some alone time with the rings for several hours! Oh what a dream that would be
24.gif
30.gif
24.gif

vanc2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results