shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging Poptart and LoveinBloom!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi gals,

Just thought I''d share that I rang Van Craeynest this morning to see where I could go to look at their rings. So Larry says ''You''d best come to the factory'' !!! I gushed a bit about how much I love their rings and said how I''d read about them on this internet site. He asked if it was CitySearch - I think you posted there LiB, so I told him about Pricescope.

Anyways I have to wait till next Monday when my dh has a day off so he can do toddler control while we''re there. I really want him to go too so he can appreciate how the rings are made.

I''m just so excited!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I can''t wait, I feel like Willy Wonka going to the chocolate factory!

Thought you gals would share my excitement! I''ll take my camera and see if I can take some pics.

cheers, a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
That is great Angeline!!! I wanna go too
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
(think of me saying that in my best "I love Lucy" voice: Waaaaaahhh! hehe). I can't wait to hear all about your visit
4.gif

That is funny about you feeling like you got a "golden ticket" hehe. If I were going, I would probably be like Veruca Salt. At first I thought I would maybe be like Augustus Gloop, but I don't really want to eat any jewelry! I hope LVC is not as bizarre as Wonka. I'm pretty sure he isn't just from talking on the phone with him, but hey, ya never know!!!! BTW, don't bring chocolate
38.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
YAY!! I wish I could go!! That will be so much fun for you! Maybe you can sneak in a camera and get a few shots for us
31.gif

Lol, Love in Bloom... Veruca Salt? Hahaha. That''s great. I would probably be quite similar to her as well, unfortunately.

*M*

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I almost didn''t want to admit that about being Veruca Salt, but hey, I like to imagine myself engaging in hedonism every once in a while!
31.gif
9.gif
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Angeline, how exciting! If you think about it, tell him one of your PS buddies wants pictures of a cross pendant that he has made. I talked with him last year, but I didn''t get the idea he could take digital pictures and email them. I am interested in having him make me one, and I''d love to see a picture if he happens to have one there. Please take lots of pictures!!!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Ooooh Diamondseeker, a cross from VC sounds exquisite!!! Hopefully Angeline can take pics! Maybe Larry would send you a sketch or a rough stamping for you to see in person? He is working on something for my wedding day and that is what he did for me...he sent a fax of a sketch and hub, and also sent a rough solid lead stamping just to give me an idea about actual size and design. I don't think it could hurt to ask...
3.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for your good wishes! Only on PS would anyone be this excited for me.

Love in Bloom, which one was Veruca? was she the snooty one? ''what my Veruca wants, my Veruca gets'' ? I just want to giggle crazily at the thought that Larry might be like Wonka! oh and I got it wrong, I feel like Charlie going to the chocolate factory!

poptart, I will certainly be taking my camera. I remember on one thread I think it was Widget that took a couple of shots, so I hope he will let me take some.

diamondseeker2006, I will definitely ask about the cross. It does sound wonderful.

It should be really interesting to see how it is all done. I''m just so surprised he said I should go there to look at the rings. I hope I do get to look around a bit at where things are made.

Only 7 more sleeps!

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2007 12:15:47 AM
Author: angeline
Hi everyone, thanks for your good wishes! Only on PS would anyone be this excited for me.

Love in Bloom, which one was Veruca? was she the snooty one? ''what my Veruca wants, my Veruca gets'' ? I just want to giggle crazily at the thought that Larry might be like Wonka! oh and I got it wrong, I feel like Charlie going to the chocolate factory!
Yup, that''s Veruca! I don''t think I could pull that one off though, my bank account and my conscience wouldn''t let me (on a good day
6.gif
)! I absolutely adore Larry''s voice on the phone and it is funny to hear the sounds that go on in the background. I am so curious and fascinated by the whole thing. You are so lucky you are on the west coast!! It will indeed be interesting to hear whether LVC is Wonka-esque.
26.gif
18.gif
26.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
LiB, I was just re-reading your thread (in an attempt to satisfy my craving for these rings!) and I noticed that you said you have some links for other pics of the VC rings?

Could you let me know what they are? I have scoured the internet and can''t find much. I think I know their style numbers off by heart by now
23.gif

I have a 2.1ct that I was thinking about upgrading but then I thought that I would rather have some of these beautiful tiny pieces of art than a bigger stone. Much bigger wouldn''t look too good in these settings I think.

Thanks for any info you have! cheers,

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Angeline, LOL, I am sad to say I know what you mean about knowing style numbers by heart
38.gif
. Sometimes I think, "what is wrong with me!" So here is what I can remember at the moment:

I believe the most complete list/pictures of VC products available online is at Micky Roof . If you click on the blue box that says "specifications - all styles" it will open a window with style numbers and descriptions, including stone sizes that a specific mounting can accomodate. That is good for you because your 2.1 carat will probably have to have special prongs (I read about a 'number 4' head for larger stones, whatever that is).

The most interesting pictures to me are at timepieces . They are definitely not the light box, studio posed stock pics at Micky Roof, and the website never mentions the Van Craeynest name, but I confirmed with Larry that timepieces is a retailer of their jewelry.

Diamondseeker and Selkie have mentioned Cross Jewelers . This site never mentions the VC name either, but 20, 21, 24 and 25 show pics of VC rings.

There are also some pics of VC rings at Old Gold . They are the 4th and 5th pics as you scroll down.

That is all I can remember for now, but I'll definitely dig up some more links for ya. I try to bookmark every unique one I could find and I really need to clean out my bookmarks; they are getting unruly!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Great links Love In Bloom!! I swear, one of these days I''m going to get my hands on one of those pierced rings.... I love them!! Well, I pretty much love every piece they make.

*M*

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
You are welcome poptart! I''m still racking my brain for the other sites where I sawy VC stuff. No kidding about loving everything, and those pierced ringis are oh so dreamy. I so want to see how it is done!!!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 6:40:15 AM
Author: Love in Bloom
Angeline, LOL, I am sad to say I know what you mean about knowing style numbers by heart
38.gif
. Sometimes I think, ''what is wrong with me!'' So here is what I can remember at the moment:

I believe the most complete list/pictures of VC products available online is at Micky Roof . If you click on the blue box that says ''specifications - all styles'' it will open a window with style numbers and descriptions, including stone sizes that a specific mounting can accomodate. That is good for you because your 2.1 carat will probably have to have special prongs (I read about a ''number 4'' head for larger stones, whatever that is).

The most interesting pictures to me are at timepieces . They are definitely not the light box, studio posed stock pics at Micky Roof, and the website never mentions the Van Craeynest name, but I confirmed with Larry that timepieces is a retailer of their jewelry.

Diamondseeker and Selkie have mentioned Cross Jewelers . This site never mentions the VC name either, but 20, 21, 24 and 25 show pics of VC rings.

There are also some pics of VC rings at Old Gold . They are the 4th and 5th pics as you scroll down.

That is all I can remember for now, but I''ll definitely dig up some more links for ya. I try to bookmark every unique one I could find and I really need to clean out my bookmarks; they are getting unruly!

Thanks LiB for those links they''re great! And i thought I was a whiz at finding things on the internet. I do like the pics on the timepieces site, they look a little more real and give a better idea. It''s amazing how different each ring can look by changing the metal or having two-tone. Some I thought weren''t great in 2-tone look just gorgeous in all white, like the one Cross calls Society Hill. Yummo! I''m all torn about what to do. I guess after I actually see some it should help a lot.

Counting down! You know I never ever thought I would like antique-y style rings. Ever. It''s just the artistry and the way they make these and the history and how detailed these are that sucks me in completely. I want one of each LOL!

cheers, a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 4:34:34 PM

Thanks LiB for those links they''re great! And i thought I was a whiz at finding things on the internet. I do like the pics on the timepieces site, they look a little more real and give a better idea. It''s amazing how different each ring can look by changing the metal or having two-tone. Some I thought weren''t great in 2-tone look just gorgeous in all white, like the one Cross calls Society Hill. Yummo! I''m all torn about what to do. I guess after I actually see some it should help a lot.

Counting down! You know I never ever thought I would like antique-y style rings. Ever. It''s just the artistry and the way they make these and the history and how detailed these are that sucks me in completely. I want one of each LOL!

cheers, a

You are welcome, Angeline. I like how you said "antique-y style". They are chunky and certainly have a style all their own, but with an antique-y flair. I''ll admit it; I''m addicted too! I posted some close ups of the sides/milgrain on my ring here if you are interested.
3.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I posted some close ups of the sides/milgrain on my ring here if you are interested.
3.gif

Already caught that! Blew me away
9.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
VC links cont'd:

The Clay Pot website seems easy enough to navigate, and at first I only found this info/highly contrasted pic that had to leave me guessing as to the details of the rings: Clay Pot okay pics . Then somehow through the search bar, I was guided to these lovelys that are the most perfect blend of stock photo consistency and realistic accuracy: Clay Pot realistic pics .

Here is a odd little tidbit if you scroll down to page 4. It is one of the few forms of advertising I have ever seen from this company.

This is still a stock photo, but this blogger is all the way in S. America...so I know we are not the only ones who crave these things: oh be still my heart .

There are some VC rings stacked here . Not all are VC though. When I first saw this pic I was stunned in a good way! This is also a link to the same website, and there are some of those oh so lovely non-stock-photos there, including two wider bands I have never seen before and they were not listed in the lengthy catalogue on Mick Roof.

There is also this site that has some different pics in their banner along the bottom. Oddly to me, there is also a company callled Folkways who has suspiciously VC-esque pieces. Hhhmmm.....

That's all for now, but if I dig up some more I'll be sure to post!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Oh my. I am in awe. My heart just jumps when I see some of these things. They obviously capture the essence of something that resonates in me. THANK YOU so much for these links. You are amazing at research.

I haven''t even looked in depth yet at all of these links I just had to express my awe. And that blogg. Some people are so creative.

Off to put dd to bed then it''s MY time to drool and dream. I still find it so funny that I am so in love with these settings. It''s just everything I guess. All the history and the old-world techniques and heart and soul that goes into them. Sorry if I''m getting a bit soppy!

cheers, a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2007 10:55:46 PM

Oh my. I am in awe. My heart just jumps when I see some of these things. They obviously capture the essence of something that resonates in me. THANK YOU so much for these links. You are amazing at research.
You are welcome Angeline. I don''t know if it is so much that I am amazing at research, or really really good at finding ways to distract myself from what I should be doing
37.gif
. Haha at least I do enjoy going back and retracing my route to discovery!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

LOL, Angeline...Fi and I just finished eating dinner and caught the end of Zoolander on TV! I forgot David Bowie was in that movie; how did I miss that??

Oh and the ''secret project'' is some wedding day sparkle. It will be a wedding present from my mom, dad, and hubby 2 be. I''ll post on it when I get it
31.gif
. I can''t wait
9.gif
!

Just wanted to wish you luck visiting VC tomorrow! I read on citysearch that parking is difficult around that area on Mission st. I can''t wait to hear all about it
2.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 8:25:26 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

LOL, Angeline...Fi and I just finished eating dinner and caught the end of Zoolander on TV! I forgot David Bowie was in that movie; how did I miss that??

Oh and the 'secret project' is some wedding day sparkle. It will be a wedding present from my mom, dad, and hubby 2 be. I'll post on it when I get it
31.gif
. I can't wait
9.gif
!

Just wanted to wish you luck visiting VC tomorrow! I read on citysearch that parking is difficult around that area on Mission st. I can't wait to hear all about it
2.gif

Oh yes the 'walk-off'!!! It was the quirkiest movie. Lots of cameos. How about when he appears as the mer-man when he's back in the mining town of his dad? He's so not a super-model looking kinda guy. It was very funny.

Anways.... back to the sparkly stuff
3.gif
wedding day sparkle!! sounds too delicious! Can't wait to find out. And thanks for the heads-up on parking and the good wishes. I'm SO excited. I'm trying to collect myself so that I don't forget to ask about anything I want to find out about. Got the camera charged and ready to go! Roping dh in to do toddler control and also so he can see how wonderful these pieces are. (Makes him more likely to buy a little somethin' when the time comes!)

I will report back in full tomorrow night Captain !!! I'm going in!!!

a

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
How exciting that you get to go to the factory! I hope they let you take pics.

Love in Bloom, I''m such a dope! It didn''t even occur to me when we were talking about die-struck rings that some of those on the Cross Jewelers site are VC! I only paid attention to the Jabel ones, I guess. It''s so obvious now. I''m hoping to stop in Portland during the week before my wedding to have them inspect my ring and to drool a little over the merchandise
18.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 9:40:21 PM
Author: Selkie

Love in Bloom, I''m such a dope! It didn''t even occur to me when we were talking about die-struck rings that some of those on the Cross Jewelers site are VC! I only paid attention to the Jabel ones, I guess. It''s so obvious now. I''m hoping to stop in Portland during the week before my wedding to have them inspect my ring and to drool a little over the merchandise
18.gif

ahhhh.... Selkie, you have the triple Victory ring... lovely!!! Cross Jewelers first turned me onto the antique-y style. I love a LOT of their designs, including the bezel ones. Awww who an I kidding I pretty much love anything pretty that sparkles!

I have to go read your threads in depth now
9.gif

a

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 9:40:21 PM
Author: Selkie

18.gif
Haha Selkie, now my senses are tuned to anything involving the terms die struck, die stamped, cold forged, etc.! I was looking up Jabel and found their ''add a link'' collection to be a clever and pretty idea. If you see them at Cross be sure to drool a little extra for me! I know there are some high quality cast pieces being produced today, but there is just something about having jewelry made the "old" way that I LOVE
9.gif

Isn''t it weird that Cross never mentions the manufacturer''s names on the website? I guess it is not unheard of, especially since a lot of the jewelry that is sold online is done so on the basis of how it looks, not necessarily on how it is manufactured or who manufactured it. Or maybe the companies themselves request that their names not be mentioned on websites? I dunno. I wish more companies would advertise if their jewelry is die struck. OGI does, Jabel does, Van Craeynest does...and it appeals to me. Sadly, though, I never see these companies'' advertisements. I wonder why...

Hopefully you can get a little wedding gift while you are in Portland? Mayhaps something sparkly?
10.gif
31.gif
9.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2007 9:18:37 PM

Anways.... back to the sparkly stuff
3.gif
wedding day sparkle!! sounds too delicious! Can''t wait to find out. And thanks for the heads-up on parking and the good wishes. I''m SO excited. I''m trying to collect myself so that I don''t forget to ask about anything I want to find out about. Got the camera charged and ready to go! Roping dh in to do toddler control and also so he can see how wonderful these pieces are. (Makes him more likely to buy a little somethin'' when the time comes!)

I will report back in full tomorrow night Captain !!! I''m going in!!!

a
LOL, I can''t wait! (and good luck with dh too
2.gif
)

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hey Angeline.....how did it go?
4.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, how did it go? I''ve got to know!!

*M*

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Gals, hold tight, I''m working on my report right now! Will post soon!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Thank goodness Angeline! OOooh my ears are soooo big right now!!!

Love the new avatar Poptart!
4.gif
3.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Hi gals, Sorry to be so tardy with my report. Don''t throw things at me but I was in such a fluster (running a little late) I forgot to take the camera out of the car. Yes I remembered to put it into the car just not to TAKE it out of the car with me.

Anyway it was like stepping back in time. Took a tiny elevator up 3 floors, got out and immediately wanted to take a picture of the glass door with gold lettering ''Van Craeynest'' that was the original door from the 40''s. (This was when I remembered I forgot the camera!) Went in with dh and 2 yr old and met Larry. LiB, unfortunately (or fortunately) he''s not really Wonka-esque at all. It''s hard to describe the office, it''s so kind of OLD with things everywhere and wonderful pictures of the rings on the walls.

Anyway to the good stuff! Sat down with Larry in his tiny office and he pulled out 3 cases of rings, 1 huge one of the pierced rings and 2 smaller ones of the other rings and bands. I tell you I was llike a kid in a candy store!! I just wanted everyone to go away and leave me with the goodies for a good 3 hours. I was surprised how delicate and fine the rings are after staring at the magnified pictures on the interent for so long. You''re right, you really need a loupe to see the work properly. He pulled out one band and said, ''Oh this sample is 30 years old!''

I had thought the pierced rings would be sooo bulky but they weren''t at all, just so gorgeous. He was really sweet and tried so hard to help me narrow down what I wanted. I think he just liked having someone that loved his work to talk to. It was funny, at 11am on the DOT (I was due there at 11) he rang me on my cell to see if I was coming in still. I talked a bit about some of the designs and when they were made and what it was like growing up in the business, it was really interesting. He said as a boy they had 35 jewelers working there for his father and about 50 women engravers!!! He said that women do much better engraving work than men. The design I like was first made by his father, it''s the one hest88 has for her EC.

Anyway I''m carrying on a bit here and I''m painfully aware that I have no photos to share!! I am so sorry! But I will be going back in maybe 2 weeks to take my stone to him and I will not forget this time.

I THINK I decided on style 820P for my solitaire and a different band I haven''t seen a pic of on Micky Roof for a band rather than the matching band. It''s style 969-15, it has 5 diamond flowers with a tiny diamond on each side of the flower. I think it''s the 3rd one up in this pic but in all plat.

Whew! It was wonderful but I didn''t have time to look at the tools etc. Next visit I''m going to make sure I do.

So sorry again about the lack of pics.
6.gif
7.gif
6.gif

a

Floral-Bands001.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I''m so glad that you had a good time. Shame for not taking the camera! We will forgive you this time IF you remember it next time. Isn''t Larry a hoot?? We had some very funny phone conversations while working out everything on the ring. You MUST take pictures of those pierced rings. I covet them.

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results