shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging: Mrs-Blop, DS2006, Niel and other CAD Experts

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I am ordering a simple wedding band from David Klass and want to make sure that I am clear in expressing the revisions that I want in the CADs.

The width and height are fine. It will have engraving on the back and on the sides. I already sent him inspiration pics and he is fine with what I have selected.

Here is what I want to write to him:

I would like to use diamonds that are 1.6mm or higher instead of 1.4mm and still keep the width of the band at 2.5mm.

I have attached a couple of photos that you made last summer for Mrs-Blop (her PS ID) that she posted on Pricescope of her Asscher Eternity Band. I would like the walls of my ring to be as thin as they are in these pics.

Also, please note that I would like the band to be a loose 7, more like a 7 1/8 size.

Here are the questions that I have for you knowledgeable PS'ers:

Do you think that this will compromise the integrity of the band? This means that the "walls?" on the sides of the diamonds will be a bit more than .45mm on each side.

I love the thinness of the walls of the ring that DK made for Mrs-Blop. I am including a pic of her ring in my note to him.

The ring will be platinum.

Is there anything else that I should look at?

I appreciate your help!

screen_shot_2016-07-24_at_2.png

screen_shot_2016-07-24_at_0.png

screen_shot_2016-07-24_at_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean at this part in the area with diamonds it's about 50/50 diamonds and metal

You want to keep the same width but more diamonds less metal?

I can't remember, are his cads accounting for the engraving? It might seem like it has more metal because it needs to account for the loss after engraving.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Niel.

I just want the part by the diamonds to have mill grain. I will add this to my notes.

Yes, I want to keep the width of the band at 2.5mm and just want the diamonds to be bigger. My initial email referenced a band with thin metal akin to the Tiffany channel set bands.

By my calculations the Facets 2.5mm channel set band uses 1.47mm diamonds and I think that it has a bit too much metal for my preference. I am hoping that he understands what I mean by thin walls when he sees the pics of Mrs-Blop's band, since he made it.

I know that he is busy and I don't want to bother him with a bunch of back and forth.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal, are you having these stones bead set? Because rounds have gaps in a channel.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Crystal...the only thing that struck me a bit funny was
I would like to use diamonds that are 1.6mm or higher instead of 1.4mm and still keep the width of the band at 2.5mm.

I think you might want to replace "higher" with "larger". My immediate thought was that you were talking about the height of the
stones when you are actually talking about the diameter.

I think* when you say you want the metal the same thickness as mrs.blops ring that he will get it (I hope). :loopy:

tyty

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
TYTY- Excellent point! I will definitely make that revision! :appl:

DS2006- Yes, I do want channel set. The diamonds are so tiny and the gaps are so small that it won't bother me. Thank you for the tip though. :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Crystal! :wavey:

Firstly - I think your ring will look fab! But, while it will be minimal, I do think you'll see the gaps in the corners of the stones. If that doesn't bother you - great! But just be aware, it will be minimally noticeable.

Secondly, I have a lot of contact with DK and Amy and live in LA. I am currently on vacation and won't be home for 2 weeks, but, when I am, if you'd like me to drop by and show him my ring again to refresh his memory, I'm happy to do it. He and I had considerable conversation about the width of those walls when he made my ring, and also about the curve at the corner (I wanted a soft, organic look - nothing sharp). Since he does SO many rings, if you'd like me to drop by, I'd be happy to.

This will look fabulous with your e-ring! What a classic set. :appl:

ETA Crystal - when you say 1.6 or higher (and I realize you're going to change that to '1.6 or larger' - which I think is a good idea), I think you'd do better to give a top end parameter. For instance, if you're flexile - 'in the 1.6-1.8mm range'. Or if 1.6 is what you want, then say that specifically. But without putting an upper limit, you might end up with 2.2mm stones...and a bill that reflects that!

Re the engraving and integrity - I have no idea. I DO know, however, that DK's engraver is top notch, so you'll love what you get if you go that route. One thing tho...did you say you wanted the underneath of the ring engraved? Did I read that wrongly? I would definitely not do that unless you're happy for it not to last. I have most of my rings engraved inside when made - just for sentiment; it begins to wear away after about 5 years. And then, of course, there's always the issue that you don't see it at all.... As you'll see with very old rings, some vestige of it normally remains, but if you're thinking of a complicated pattern for decorative purposes - rather than sentimental reasons - you might want to rethink whether this is worth the cost. People value different things, however, so this is obviously your call.

Anyway, do post about this as it progresses - it's a super fun ride!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Mrs-Blop!

I guess that I am afraid of pave in the long run. I want to be able to wear this ring without worrying about the diamonds falling out. Can you put your pave rings into an ultrasonic cleaner?

I have been thinking about what you and DS have mentioned. I do like pave, a lot. I have a ring listed on LoupeTroop now that I am only selling because it is not platinum. I listed it in April and had a couple of buyers who were interested, but I backed out of the sale because the ring is just so pretty. I have recently re-listed it only because I really want platinum for my wedding band.

I don't have a channel set band, but have tried them on in the past and really loved the look.

My jeweller is closed today, but I am packing the kiddos up to go to the mall and try on bands.

I did want engraving on the back, but I see your point. I love the antique details, but I will let them go, as far as the back of the band is concerned. If I switch to pave, I don't think that I will need engraving. I think that I will get enough of the antique feel from the single cut diamonds that he is using in this project.

I will save his luscious engraving for another project, maybe a thin all metal band to use as a stacker.

You are so sweet to offer to pop in and check on my little band :)

I will post my final decision- pave or channel- later today.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal -

Just before you make your final decision - have a look at this. It combines the pave and channel set and I think would look killer with your ring. It could also be easily engraved on the sides. This is my iteration of it by Leon - but DK could do a beautiful one for you also.

In the photo of 3 rings, clearly it's the diamond eternity band.

In the group shot, it's the middle ring of the 3 rings on the finger on the left of the photo. Those stones are 1.8mm stones (3 points each) and the ring is, I believe, 2.5mm wide. I can't get any single photos because it's not with me on vacation, I'm sorry, but I hope these help.

Mrs-B

PS Now that I look at them in close-up, there really is an argument for cleaning your rings!

f_si1_1.jpg

img_12388.jpg

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- Mrs-Blop, I love your combo channel and pave band! It is perfect for me, plus, I can still get the engraving on the sides :appl: It is just so delicate and pretty with a subtle vintage vibe. Thanks for including the measurements also.

I did try on rings. If I had not seen your beautiful channel/pave ring then I would have gone with a simple channel set band with no engraving or mil grain.

I will crop the pics and send him the photos to see if he can replicate it in a half eternity and still stay within my budget.

This is my first project with DK and I feel bad for changing things around. I hope that he will understand.

Thank you so much for your insight into my project. I truly appreciate it!

I hope that you are having a wonderful time on your vacation!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Here is what I emailed DK with the attachments listed below:

I would like for the band to be 2.5mm wide and 1.7mm high. I do want the ring to have very little metal by the diamonds. I would like to use diamonds that are in the 1.7mm - 1.8mm range. I want the band to be channel and bead set with 4 beads per diamond. I want to be able to put it in the ultrasonic and not have to worry too much since it will also be channel set. I have attached 2 pictures that illustrate this. I want the part with the diamonds to be open as indicated in the photos.

screen_shot_2016-07-26_at_11.png

screen_shot_2016-07-26_at_0.png

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
The updated CAD's just arrived:

The beads are shared, not separated as depicted in the photos of Mrs. B's YG Band. The beads do not appear to be bulky. I am okay with this style of band also.

As I indicated in my email, I would like the diamonds to be at least 1.7mm.

I am unfamiliar with CAD's and don't know if the edges will eventually fold over to form the channel. They do not appear to be channel set now, at least to my eyes. I need them to be channel set.

The walls of the band also look a bit tall. I don't want the diamonds to be recessed, if that makes sense.

If anyone has anything else to add, please let me know.

Thank you so much for your help! :wavey:

Dealing with CAD's are certainly not for the faint of heart-LOL.

33746.jpg

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
After sleeping on the CAD design overnight, I realize that I really do love Mrs-B's band as my inspiration band. I have to run errands and make last minute preparations for an event tonight, but I will come back some time this weekend with a draft of an email and additional pics that I will send to DK with my revisions.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I just received the CAD's a couple of hours ago. This is the 3rd round of CAD's and I really Iike the way they look!

I want the band to be channel and bead set. The band will have engraving on the sides only. The diamonds are 1.7 mm. The band will be 2.5mm wide and 1.7 mm high.

Enclosed is my inspiration pic of Mrs-Blop's band and the CAD's from David.

Will it look as delicate as my inspiration photo? Is there anything in particular that I should mention to him? Does it look as if the diamonds are channel set in addition to being bead set?

Thank you so much!

_1310.png

_5078.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Crystal! Nice to see the progress on this band!

Just so you're aware - my diamonds are held by the prongs, not the rims. As such, I wouldn't really describe my ring as channel set. I specifically asked for that so I'd be able to see the full width of each diamond; if you channel set very small stones, you can lose a lot of diamond surface area, and I didn't want that.

Given that each of the stones in my ring has 4 prongs, the prongs had to be teensy weensy! You can barely see HOW my stones are held, which I love. My gut feeling is that if you channel set AND bead set, it would be overkill and would compromise the amount of diamond which is visible. Also, the rims of the ring don't curve over at all. They stand straight up and probably line up with the top of the tables of the stones. The table of each stone doesn't protrude above the rim. I'd not sure if that would give you a sense of the stones being recessed; it doesn't hit my eye like that, and I think if you want the stones any higher, you'll see a lot more metal; the prongs have to attach to the walls, so if the walls drop back and the stones are more protuberant, the prongs will have to reach up higher to hold the edge of each stone. The stones need to be a tad sunken to keep the prongs subtle and not a dominant feature of the ring in general.

Just some aspects to the design of my ring that you might want to keep in mind; I hope this helps!

ETA I've just added a photo of a band DK made for me recently. It's the same style as my Leon platinum ring but considerably larger (each stone is 10-11 points) so you can see the detail more easily. I love this ring, and it's very well made. In this photo you can see what I mean about being able to see the whole surface area of each stone and the sparkle is BIG. :wavey:

img_12425.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsBlop's is what I call a bead-set band. My Tiffany Legacy band is also bead-set and 2.2mm. My daughter has a 2.5mm platinum bead-set band custom made by Maytal Hannah.

Mine appears to have two shared beads between each diamond (first picture).

My daughter's band seems to have 4 tiny prongs on each diamond. If you look at the last pic closely right under the e-ring diamond, you can see that there is an engraved sizing area on the wedding band. We didn't notice the band was turned in that direction when I toll the picture! But it is good to show that you can have an almost invisible sizing area by using engraving! The sides of her ring are beautifully engraved as well.

_37969.jpg

img_12426.jpg

img_12427.jpg

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you, MrsB and DS!

The pics and the explanations are greatly appreciated!

I have scrapped the idea of having the band channel and bead set. I think that the bead setting as indicated in the CADs will be fine.

Do you think that the diamonds in my CADs are too low (recessed)?

Overall, I am pleased with the CADs. I think that the final result will be beautiful!

Should I mention anything about how I want the band to look underneath? I don't want it to be solid. I would like to have spaces underneath the diamonds in order to make cleaning easier or am I over thinking this.

Thank you so much for your help!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the sides are just right. They have to leave room for the milgrain. It will look right when done.

My ring does have the openings inside the shank. I know some do not. I guess the underside can't get dirty if the bottom is closed, but I can't say since mine is not like that. I don't remember if my daughter's band has the openings or not.

Victor has the openings in his band like these:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/bands/vintage-single-cut-pave-band

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crystal -

When stones are flush set and there is an opening behind each stone, I've heard those openings referred to as an ajoure setting. However, since your stones are prong set and each stone is actually in a tiny little box, an open back is mandatory. My Leon platinum ring, my DK yellow gold ring, and the smaller yellow gold eternity I have are all set in that way. I'm pretty sure David would set your stones that way as a matter of course, but it won't hurt to clarify and there's no such thing as too much info when someone is trying to replicate the picture you have in your mind.

I'm glad you're diting the channel and prong setting idea. I think on stones that size by the time you'd introduced 4 prongs, then cut off the top and bottom of each stone, you wouldn't be left with enough surface area of the diamonds showing.

Have you been given a time frame? I'm getting excited for you! I'm not getting anything new till the new year, so I have to live vicariously! :))

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
DS- Thanks for the link. I told him that I loved the design, but just wanted to know if the part of the band with diamonds had holes behind the diamonds.

Mrs.B- The initial time frame that he quoted me was 25 days. This was his first response to my quote inquiry on July 18th and it took me a few days before I agreed to go ahead with the project. I will reconfirm if he does not let me know. Also, I can't wait to see what you have in mind for next year!

I have to say that DK has been a pleasure to work with. He has been very responsive, answering any questions that I have and asking for clarification when needed.

I am so thankful to both of you for helping me with this! :wavey:

I hope that I will be able to get into his production queue in the next day or so.

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I am so excited! David just emailed me that he is casting the band in platinum today! :dance:

I did ask him for an updated ETA as well.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow - that was fast!!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I thought so too! I am beyond pleased that things are moving so quickly!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
David just replied to my inquiry. My band will be complete in 10 days! This should be the 15th or, if he is referring to business days, the 19th. :appl:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for your help, MrsB and DS!

Here are some pics that DK sent me yesterday :love: . This lovely beauty will be on my finger tomorrow!

_5567.jpeg

_5568.jpeg

_5569.jpeg

_5570.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is beautiful, Crystal! Can't wait to see your pics when you get it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out really well - love the detail of the band! Can't wait for pictures!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooohhhhhh, CRYSTAL! :love: :love: :love:

WOW! I love it! Are you happy with it so far? It looks stunning to me. I also love that the diamonds only go half the way around; I like good metal work, and really appreciate it aesthetically, so the band on this really works for my taste.

It looks like a perfect fit for what you wanted, and I can't imagine it looking anything other than wonderful with your e-ring.

Congratulations!!

ETA Ooo! I just realized - it arrives today!! Waiting for a FLOOD of photos! :D

ETA x 2 I want one!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful outcome! Can't wait to see hand shots!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
wow! stunning! it looks so delicate. Looking forward to more pictures! :love: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results