shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this GIA N/VS OEC

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Would be a very simple bezel setting in platinum and wondering if will look “white” per se from onward. (No side view concern).

It’s for my daughter :). Helping future SIL.

They placed in this as a visual. Looks beautiful to me but I’m definitely not that educated with OEC stones.

They said it was a very high N and def bright and would look on white side. She understands she won’t have a “white” diamond but would not want it to look yellow at all. It’s a surprise so I cannot show her. C9C68E81-7397-4BC9-A6EC-211789A8AF3E.jpeg

I’ll post a video.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Would be a very simple bezel setting in platinum and wondering if will look “white” per se from onward. (No side view concern).

They placed in this as a visual. Looks beautiful to me but I’m definitely not that educated with OEC stones.

They said it was a very high N and def bright and would look on white side. She understands she won’t have a “white” diamond but would not want it to look yellow at all. It’s a surprise so I cannot show her. C9C68E81-7397-4BC9-A6EC-211789A8AF3E.jpeg

I’ll post a video.

I’m wondering why I can’t post the video. It’s the middle
Stone.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

I’ll post a video.

25235A18-4326-4924-8FB0-24406B0257BB.jpeg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

I have a GIA N old mine cut and in most lighting it definitely looks more ivory/antique lace. But in some unflattering light it does look yellowish (like in this pic in the setting, I definitely see some yellow but this is about as yellow as it gets). So if she she wouldn’t want it to look “yellow at all,” I don’t think an N will work for her. Color sensitivity is so individualized that it’s very hard to tell how the receiver would feel about it. Did she specifically say she wants an old cut stone like a OEC?

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
An N will definitely show color. If she KNOWS she doesn’t want any color to show, I don’t think an N is going to be a good fit. Diamonds can lean yellow most commonly (sometimes brown and other much rarer colors, but this stone has a yellow undertone from what I can see)

The stone looks quite large - would she drop in size for a higher color? I strongly dislike seeing tint in engagement ring, but some people like it. I can easily see tint lower than G color, and in the L-M-N range the diamond looks “ivory” to me, not white.

I thought I’d be ok with ivory and got an M color, but was really unhappy with the color over time…I replaced it with a much smaller E color diamond and am much, much happier! But this is all personal preference.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

I’ll post a video.
I have a GIA N old mine cut and in most lighting it definitely looks more ivory/antique lace. But in some unflattering light it does look yellowish (like in this pic in the setting, I definitely see some yellow but this is about as yellow as it gets). Color sensitivity is so individualized that it’s very hard to tell how the receiver would feel about it. Did she specifically say she wants an old cut stone like a OEC?

Thank you so much! She def wants an OEC but I also know that she can appreciate that something has to give bc she will need to be lower in color for the size she is after and there is a huge priority with the pattern/cut (which I thought this was gorgeous) but It will be halo’d and she will be bummed if it is at all on the yellow side. The vendor said it was a high N but if you can see it in this then I’m a little worried. She also said the mallee is F in this setting l- so I could see the difference. Ugh. Maybe I should have him pass. I appreciate your opinion.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
An N will definitely show color. If she KNOWS she doesn’t want any color to show, I don’t think an N is going to be a good fit. Diamonds can lean yellow most commonly (sometimes brown and other much rarer colors, but this stone has a yellow undertone from what I can see)

The stone looks quite large - would she drop in size for a higher color? I strongly dislike seeing tint in engagement ring, but some people like it. I can easily see tint lower than G color, and in the L-M-N range the diamond looks “ivory” to me, not white.

I thought I’d be ok with ivory and got an M color, but was really unhappy with the color over time…I replaced it with a much smaller E color diamond and am much, much happier! But this is all personal preference.

It’s a little over 9mm and I’m so glad to hear opinions. I was told it’s a high N and white looking from top (not side which is fine) and the diamonds in the temporary halo are F color. I was thinking since it will be a simple platinum bezel that it would not look - “not white” but based on your opinion and Muluver’s- I’m probably wrong. She def wants a stone that she will never upgrade (which I did and I get that- bc I am very sentimental and do have some regrets) and would like to avoid that for her. I also absolutely loved the pattern and brightness which I do know this is her favorite flower pattern that she was after. However - if it looks remotely yellow, she would not care. Lol. Can def go a little smaller for better color but I doubt with diamond prices he could get a K close to this size for $25k. This is less than that but from what I have seen- it won’t happen. Any suggestions- I’m open.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

I’ll post a video.

001640FE-3BCD-4F34-A386-F53970021F86.jpeg

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! She def wants an OEC but I also know that she can appreciate that something has to give bc she will need to be lower in color for the size she is after and there is a huge priority with the pattern/cut (which I thought this was gorgeous) but It will be halo’d and she will be bummed if it is at all on the yellow side. The vendor said it was a high N but if you can see it in this then I’m a little worried. She also said the mallee is F in this setting l- so I could see the difference. Ugh. Maybe I should have him pass. I appreciate your opinion.

A high N is at best an M and if she’s going to be bummed if it’s at all on the yellow side, I don’t think this stone will work for her. She’s going to have to go down in size to go up in color (probably J/K, maybe L) if she doesn’t want it on the yellow side “at all.” Like @Cerulean I also had an M as my original engagement stone that was set in platinum with G/H melee on the shoulders and I could definitely see the contrast and it bothered me a bit. I am still not that color sensitive and that M is now in a necklace and I don’t see yellow at all (that particular stone leans more brown rather than yellow) but for my engagement ring, I just didn’t want to see that much tint. The N OMC is for a right hand ring and I’m fine with the slight yellow tint that I see in the rare occasion (my N also has faint fluoro which also helps it not look yellow in most lighting) because it’s not my engagement ring. I replaced my engagement stone with a G in the same original setting and am much happier.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
A high N is at best an M and if she’s going to be bummed if it’s at all on the yellow side, I don’t think this stone will work for her. She’s going to have to go down in size to go up in color (probably J/K, maybe L) if she doesn’t want it on the yellow side “at all.” Like @Cerulean I also had an M as my original engagement stone that was set in platinum with G/H melee on the shoulders and I could definitely see the contrast and it bothered me a bit. I am still not that color sensitive and that M is now in a necklace and I don’t see yellow at all (that particular stone leans more brown rather than yellow) but for my engagement ring, I just didn’t want to see that much tint. The N OMC is for a right hand ring and I’m fine with the slight yellow tint that I see in the rare occasion (my N also has faint fluoro which also helps it not look yellow in most lighting). I replaced my engagement stone with a G in the same original setting and am much happier.

Thank you so much for all your insight. I hear you! I was thinking perhaps I can get lucky and find one w a brown modifier. I know it can make a diamond look much whiter. I once almost bought a M color step cut but bc of the brown modifier it faced like an H! It was ridiculously white. But that’s probably a needle in the haystack. I guess I’ll tell him to keep looking and maybe an estate piece will pop up. OWD has great such great selections but expensive. Again, thank you so much.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Lol a “high N” is poppycock - I mean, is it graded by GIA? Things like “a high H” is more meaningful. I find in the H/I range, “high” seems to have import and truly make the difference between someone seeing a tint and not if you’re not color sensitive. N? I don’t think so, a tint is there no matter what…but maybe someone else can chime in…

I think I know who this vendor is, at least if that’s her with the floral-setting where the diamond is resting, and she can have some nice items, but she does seem to very regularly say things like “OMG I CANT BELIEVE THOSE IDIOTS AT GIA GRADED THIS A J WHEN ITS OBVIOUSLY A G”

Sorry to exaggerate, but really…if you know your SIL does like an icy stone, don’t be seduced…

This also appears to be transitional cut, not really a typical flower pattern you’d see in an OEC at all. Nothing wrong with it, just calling it out. I like the faceting personally.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This ring for example is a GREAT size, has that transitional facet pattern sorta like the N, is still going to have a slight tint but not as much…and I think the setting is beautiful

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Lol a “high N” is poppycock

I think I know who this vendor is, at least if that’s her with the floral-setting where the diamond is resting, and she can have some nice items, but she does seem to very regularly say things like “OMG I CANT BELIEVE THOSE IDIOTS AT GIA GRADED THIS A J WHEN ITS OBVIOUSLY A G”

Sorry to exaggerate, but really…if you know your SIL does like an icy stone, don’t be seduced…

This also appears to be transitional cut, not really a typical flower pattern you’d see in an OEC at all. Nothing wrong with it, just calling it out. I like the faceting personally.

Lol! Thank you for that. I need honesty bc again, I really have no idea and that’s why I love being a part of this forum. What is the lowest that you would say one could go to for an OEC in a platinum bezel (to not look yellow). Again- not blazing white as that would not be in his budget. She def would like a larger presence and I get that something has to give. Ps. I do love the pattern on this stone :(

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh my! This is the same stone as the ring I linked. Maybe? Let me double check GIA…on my phone lol. I think it’s pretty darn lovely! I think these photos are way more helpful.

EDIT - weird some specs don’t line up but it seems similar. Maybe you can do digging and find out from a computer

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
This ring for example is a GREAT size, has that transitional facet pattern sorta like the N, is still going to have a slight tint but not as much…and I think the setting is beautiful

Wow! Is that new? I was just on Grace’s site the other day and did not see that! That def looks white to me. She would not like the setting bc her heart is with a bezel. But it’s gorgeous. Thank you. And in budget. I know what he will say. He will want to spend a bit more for larger but I don’t see it happening w a K! Def is Whiter looking.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! This is the same stone as the ring I linked. Maybe? Let me double check GIA…on my phone lol. I think it’s pretty darn lovely! I think these photos are way more helpful.

Was she trying to sell it on her own but now listed w Grace? Does look so pretty. The pattern is close but I feel like the other one has more of the round petal which I know is her favorite. The size is def close! And white looking.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Wow! Is that new? I was just on Grace’s site the other day and did not see that! That def looks white to me. She would not like the setting bc her heart is with a bezel. But it’s gorgeous. Thank you. And in budget. I know what he will say. He will want to spend a bit more for larger but I don’t see it happening w a K! Def is Whiter looking.

~2.5 is quite large by most people’s standards. He won’t get whiter at this size and price point. Larger OECs are scarce at the moment as well.

If she prefers a more rounded, floral pattern, I’d absolutely reach out to Old World Diamonds. I wouldn’t describe your N as really quintessential floral either, but the K from Grace is definitely a checkerboard pattern - not that descriptors really matter at all, pick with your eyes!

Last edited:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
This is a true “floral” pattern - the facets beneath the table are rounded, and look like petals - just for reference. You can always show your “ideal” to Adam at OWD to see what he can find

@missy ’s beautiful OEC

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
What is your carat limit? If you want white/on the white side I wouldn't go below a J.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
~2.5 is quite large by most people’s standards. He won’t get whiter at this size and price point. Larger OECs are scarce at the moment as well.

If she prefers a more rounded, floral pattern, I’d absolutely reach out to Old World Diamonds. I wouldn’t describe your N as really quintessential floral either, but the K from Grace is definitely a checkerboard pattern - not that descriptors really matter at all, pick with your eyes!

I agree that 2.5 is nothing to sneeze at! Where they live, their jobs etc, large stones are the norm, so she would not feel out of place. But regardless, if his budget is what it is, which I think is a lot myself, then he will have to prioritize what he finds most important. I agree about the stone being more transitional. I happen to love that too. Maybe I’ll show him Grace’s to see his thoughts. Again, so appreciative of any and all thoughts.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
This is a true “floral” pattern - the facets beneath the table are rounded, and look like petals - just for reference. You can always show your “ideal” to Adam at OWD to see what he can find

@missy ’s beautiful OEC

OMG. I know exactly her ring and it’s one of my favorites!! I love it!!! I know she got it from OWD too :). Gorgeous!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

EDIT - weird some specs don’t line up but it seems similar. Maybe you can do digging and find out from a computer

It is the same ring. I know bc I wanted to buy it less than a year ago and then it sold! Now it’s on Grace’s site. It is a stunner for sure and the Preloved pics are way better.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
What is your carat limit? If you want white/on the white side I wouldn't go below a J.

He really wanted to be in the 3ct+ family. His brothers all gave same size plus for their wives. Plus, where they live and their jobs, it’s commonplace. But- I know my girl and she would not want a yellow- ish stone. So I need to factor that and I know for sure my future SIL def wants white looking. A 2.5ct w a 9mm size would be great. Not sure a J would be in the budget though. Diamonds are so expensive right now.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
It is the same ring. I know bc I wanted to buy it less than a year ago and then it sold! Now it’s on Grace’s site. It is a stunner for sure and the Preloved pics are way better.

Does look beautiful.

Depends on how much size she’s willing to sacrifice for colour, honestly. An N is never going to be “white” especially in all lighting but will probably be creamy/yellowy at worst. I think that’s something I would personally be willing to live with if I got the size I wanted if nothing else was available, but I’m not your daughter!

Personally, I belong to a social circle where most people have large stones, and whenever I get engaged, I would prefer to sacrifice colour for size (as long as the stone is pretty and lively of course).

Is viewing the stone in person an option? Eg buy and return? You would perhaps be a better gauge than anyone else especially through pictures.

Is there any way to show her stones in the L-M-N-O range and see whether the colour is acceptable? Even if you frame it as a purchase for yourself?

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
He really wanted to be in the 3ct+ family. His brothers all gave same size plus for their wives. Plus, where they live and their jobs, it’s commonplace. But- I know my girl and she would not want a yellow- ish stone. So I need to factor that and I know for sure my future SIL def wants white looking. A 2.5ct w a 9mm size would be great. Not sure a J would be in the budget though. Diamonds are so expensive right now.

Diamond prices are insane right now. It's difficult..
I personally prefer color over size. First time I realized I wanted white was when I saw my friend's D color next to my I. I could never unsee it, It captivated me.
I understand she wants to be on par size wise, but she might stand out with an N.

If she didn't want an antique cut I would say go with Whiteflash and their amazing upgrade policy... most anitique vendors don't allow trade ins and you end up losing money if you upgrade down the road which makes this even harder

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond prices are insane right now. It's difficult..
I personally prefer color over size. First time I realized I wanted white was when I saw my friend's D color next to my I. I could never unsee it, It captivated me.
I understand she wants to be on par size wise, but she might stand out with an N.

If she didn't want an antique cut I would say go with Whiteflash and their amazing upgrade policy... most anitique vendors don't allow trade ins and you end up losing money if you upgrade down the road which makes this even harder

I’ll have to try and feel her out. It’s so hard bc the color to me is the first thing you see. It doesn’t have to be super white. Just not “not white”. Lol. I know he would spend more to be honest. I just think you have to have an amount and then stick to it. I agree about the white flash and upgrade. She’s def not a brilliant round so that is a def no. Maybe she’ll lean towards an EC like I have. She does love them. I just know her heart was more an OEC. Such problems….. what a thing for me to be thinking about during these times. It’s def a nice distraction though. Thank you again.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Depends on how much size she’s willing to sacrifice for colour, honestly. An N is never going to be “white” especially in all lighting but will probably be creamy/yellowy at worst. I think that’s something I would personally be willing to live with if I got the size I wanted if nothing else was available, but I’m not your daughter!

Personally, I belong to a social circle where most people have large stones, and whenever I get engaged, I would prefer to sacrifice colour for size (as long as the stone is pretty and lively of course).

Is viewing the stone in person an option? Eg buy and return? You would perhaps be a better gauge than anyone else especially through pictures.

Is there any way to show her stones in the L-M-N-O range and see whether the colour is acceptable? Even if you frame it as a purchase for yourself?

Yes- there was another vendor that was going to send him a L OEC for his viewing but I was not sold on the pattern. The size, price was right….. I hate that everyone posts everything outside. It always looks so much whiter to me. Show me it inside! Lol. I def think she would settle for a soft white if it were to be large and beautiful cut. Bezeled in platinum I thought may help it look fine. I’ve read contradictory things. Any thoughts? A N would be out then if even remotely creamy- yellow. That I know about her. Are L’s ever white face up? Thank you again for your advice/opinion.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
im going to be blunt. honestly, if she rolls in social circles with big honkers, people can be just as persnickety and judgmental about color just as size. they will know the premium they spent for a large diamond in a particular quality. they may know nothing about diamonds...but OBVIOUSLY off white is hard to miss

if he feels like he NEEDS to buy a big diamond because of her friends/or feels the need to impress, and is sorta ignoring what he knows her wishes are too...that's not great IMO either

i would never buy an N diamond for a woman who likes white white diamonds. why should she settle for an off-white color to begin with? for what, social pressure? and i would never buy a LARGE N color diamond hoping to just blend in with a crowd spending 50k + on e-rings...nope. won't win you cred - it will be very obviously tinted and people know that lower color = less money...it's a bad way to go about buying here IMO. has he considered lab? he can get the size and high color...she doesn't need to share with her friends that its lab and there's no way to visibly tell...

an N is absolutely a creamy color. "White face-up" frankly is a bit misleading i think. an L will also show color. i think there is a lot of lore on PS about how white antique cuts can face up, yes in a sense...they reflect a lot of colors from their environment, but that doesn't change anything about the actual tint of the diamond. a color sensitive person (i.e. like me) will see tint whether it's antique cut or not

Yes- there was another vendor that was going to send him a L OEC for his viewing but I was not sold on the pattern. The size, price was right….. I hate that everyone posts everything outside. It always looks so much whiter to me. Show me it inside! Lol. I def think she would settle for a soft white if it were to be large and beautiful cut. Bezeled in platinum I thought may help it look fine. I’ve read contradictory things. Any thoughts? A N would be out then if even remotely creamy- yellow. That I know about her. Are L’s ever white face up? Thank you again for your advice/opinion.

For me, if a little bit of creaminess even is out, then K or L is the ABSOLUTE lowest I would go, K to be safe. I would actually suggest J, if possible. If that means upping the budget or sacrificing size, then that’s what he’ll have to do, whatever his preference. I am not a bezel person so I can’t comment on what bezels will do to the stone.

Can you buy and return the L? I briefly owned an heirloom transitional/OEC and in pictures the faceting looked garbage but in person it was like lovely pointy petals (not bubbly but pointy).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results