shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on this GIA N/VS OEC

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I think what the previous poster meant was does your daughter want a stone from that era or would she be OK with a stone that is newly cut but cut as an OEC? That’s what distinctive gems does and it’s easier to get higher color as well as good performance this way.
Thank you for the clarification! Ofcourse- that would be great! However, I would be surprised if the numbers would be comparable for a stone to be recut and to obtain a higher color and in the carat range for his price point? I’m definitely not knowledgeable in this area. I absolutely welcome any further information.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
@Honeybasil had a 2.5ct L up for sale. Last I checked it was still available. May be worth reaching out to her! Link to her post in Preloved here:

Thread '2.49 OEC platinum solitaire' https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-49-oec-platinum-solitaire.268815/
Wow. Looks absolutely gorgeous!! Sadly- the problem at this point I think is- he needs to see some stones in person, so he can see if an L would be an option. I love the pattern of that stone!! That’s her fave! Thank you!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the clarification! Ofcourse- that would be great! However, I would be surprised if the numbers would be comparable for a stone to be recut and to obtain a higher color and in the carat range for his price point? I’m definitely not knowledgeable in this area. I absolutely welcome any further information.

Not recut. In other words they take the rough and cut an OEC pattern instead of a modern round brilliant pattern.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Not recut. In other words they take the rough and cut an OEC pattern instead of a modern round brilliant pattern.

Sounds like it could be a potential option. My concern would be, what if we don’t like the way the pattern turns out . Or the size is not as expected? I think it may be too risky but honestly, I have no idea. It does sound like a problem solver for sure!

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Have you reached out to Old World Diamonds? He’s got incredible inventory but not sure on the price.

I also loved the earlier suggestion with looking in to getting a modern OEC - I know Jon does them in lab and mined diamonds and the pattern is pretty much “the same” every time so you don’t have to worry about the variability. He also guarantees a certain size after cutting. I know you’re not looking for a lab but here’s nearing 9mm lab version so you can see what it would look like. https://www.distinctivegem.com/prod...uropean-cut-private-reserve-lab-grown-diamond
And here’s a natural diamond. As you can see, the cut is identical so there isn’t as much risk there.

(I haven’t purchased from him but would love a lab OEC or OMC from him someday!)

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Have you reached out to Old World Diamonds? He’s got incredible inventory but not sure on the price.

I also loved the earlier suggestion with looking in to getting a modern OEC - I know Jon does them in lab and mined diamonds and the pattern is pretty much “the same” every time so you don’t have to worry about the variability. He also guarantees a certain size after cutting. I know you’re not looking for a lab but here’s nearing 9mm lab version so you can see what it would look like. https://www.distinctivegem.com/prod...uropean-cut-private-reserve-lab-grown-diamond
And here’s a natural diamond. As you can see, the cut is identical so there isn’t as much risk there.

(I haven’t purchased from him but would love a lab OEC or OMC from him someday!)

Thank you so much. I did reach out to GOG a last week (not for a lab though) and never heard back. Love that pattern- that’s exactly what she wants. He wants a natural one. Are you saying he will cut a natural diamond and guarantee size etc? Or that just for lab created. They are so beautiful!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Emeraldcutlover here's a contender if he decides that M color is in the range. A little above budget, but I wonder it would be less reset into a platinum halo with no baguettes.

Btw, if he decides that 2.46 ct is ok, that K color that everyone keeps mentioning is exquisite.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
@Emeraldcutlover here's a contender if he decides that M color is in the range. A little above budget, but I wonder it would be less reset into a platinum halo with no baguettes.

Btw, if he decides that 2.46 ct is ok, that K color that everyone keeps mentioning is exquisite.

Thank you so much. I think it’s def too high and I he did see a 3ct OEC L/Si1 clean for under budget that may work but he needs to see if a J/K may be more white to him. I really appreciate you sending this!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much. I think it’s def too high and I he did see a 3ct OEC L/Si1 clean for under budget that may work but he needs to see if a J/K may be more white to him. I really appreciate you sending this!!

Oh that sounds promising! Good luck to him and I hope you’ll come back and give us a sneak peak!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to pop in to ditto everything @Cerulean has said in this thread...
An N is an N is an N. Statements like "This L faces up like an I" drive me bonkers because that means that that I "faces up like a G"! It's just a never-ending line of lies.
...And then pop back out :bigmsile:

Last edited:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to pop in to ditto everything @Cerulean has said in this thread...
An N is an N is an N. Statements like "This L faces up like an I" drive me bonkers because that means that that I "faces up like a G"! It's just a never-ending line of lies.
...And then pop back out :bigmsile:

Lol. I can appreciate that bc at the end of the day, it is what it is and I would rather know up front as to not waste anyones time. Thank you again!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late to the party @Emeraldcutlover, but I have a L OEC, and I’m not colour sensitive at all. I would describe the colour as vanilla rather than white, and I do find it picks up colour from its surroundings.

I did look at an M at OWD, and I couldn’t really notice much of a difference between that and mine.

At the end of the day, it’s all down to personal preference, you either like it or you don’t. For me I like the romance behind an old cut, and a really well cut one, is an absolute sparkle bomb. I’ve had people come over from across the room to have a look.

784185 784183

Leekb

Rough_Rock
Here’s an N Dolly has for sale :

it's a transitional and it's pretty shallow.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s an N Dolly has for sale :

That’s the one! Lol

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Late to the party @Emeraldcutlover, but I have a L OEC, and I’m not colour sensitive at all. I would describe the colour as vanilla rather than white, and I do find it picks up colour from its surroundings.

I did look at an M at OWD, and I couldn’t really notice much of a difference between that and mine.

At the end of the day, it’s all down to personal preference, you either like it or you don’t. For me I like the romance behind an old cut, and a really well cut one, is an absolute sparkle bomb. I’ve had people come over from across the room to have a look.

ED342D50-F638-422A-A628-20FEF653FD87.jpeg 6393D772-A99D-4A24-8788-87BAAC982381.jpeg

WOW!!! Your ring is beyond beautiful!!!! Update- I did have a chance to speak w my daughter and she definitely would not want to look at any stones bc she prefers for it to be a complete surprise - and that she knows he’d ask my opinion and that I will help him pick the right one. Lol. Can anyone say pressure. Ha! I also asked about color since it’s so personal…. . She said as long as it faces up on the white side when bezeled - and has a beautiful cut- flower pattern- she would tend to pick that and size over a “very white stone” that would be much smaller due to price point. Ps. I do happen to have a friend w a very large round Diamond that is bezel set and it quite white looking until she reset it in YG. Now it def looks on the yellow side and (I believe it’s in the N/O range). So I think she has that in her mind as a reference as well. I think as long as it’s a bright stone that’s well cut and J/K/L we should be fine. I’ve seen so many lower colored OEC’s on here that (based on the photos) do not look remotely yellow nor with color to me. Maybe some show from the sides but I’m not as concerned with that. Thank you again. I appreciate you showing me your beautiful ring with your opinion!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I have a beautiful OEC "L" and it occasionally looks yellow and i hate when it does, I wanted a J and just got sick of looking. I would say if she wants 'no yellow' Id be careful going lower than J. 99% of the time it's bright and white and I do love it, but those times it looks vanilla annoy me LOL

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I have a beautiful OEC "L" and it occasionally looks yellow and i hate when it does, I wanted a J and just got sick of looking. I would say if she wants 'no yellow' Id be careful going lower than J. 99% of the time it's bright and white and I do love it, but those times it looks vanilla annoy me LOL

this point has been reiterated over and over in this thread...:roll:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for this!

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
there are two distinct groups of antique lovers here... the first group knowingly choose warmer stones, they see them IRL and they are okay with the warmth aspect. Usually they either have a few engagement rings or it's not their first large diamond ring.

and another group that buy the "old cuts appear whiter" story and talk themselves into it "liking" them because they think they get a large warm stone that appears "whiter".... well, and that's when all kinds of problems start lol

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
this point has been reiterated over and over in this thread...:roll:

Oh, really, because I read through the thread and yes, I saw people with M and N colors chime in but I hadnt seen an L color comment so I thought I'd share the sentiment with an L since it was an L that she had looked at in the original query. I must have missed it, I should be shot for daring to post my thought!

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
Oh, really, because I read through the thread and yes, I saw people with M and N colors chime in but I hadnt seen an L color comment so I thought I'd share the sentiment with an L since it was an L that she had looked at in the original query. I must have missed it, I should be shot for daring to post my thought!

I understood her post differently. I think she is actually agreeing with your saying that all colors below J will show color...

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I understood her post differently. I think she is actually agreeing with your saying that all colors below J will show color...

Yes exactly. I meant no harm @Inked - we agree entirely. I think there is a mismatch in expectation regarding size + color + budget and what that will get you. A 9mm+ antique OEC in the near colorless range for 25k is very very unlikely. And I would consider “faces up on the white side” as being in the near colorless range which is G/H/I/J and I think that should be repeated one final time in the event that future readers stumble upon this thread are want to use the info in it

Liking or not liking the appearance of a tinted diamond is besides the point IMO

long story short, I have seen the same question asked and answered multiple times. I will bow out and wish OP well

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
there are two distinct groups of antique lovers here... the first group knowingly choose warmer stones, they see them IRL and they are okay with the warmth aspect. Usually they either have a few engagement rings or it's not their first large diamond ring.

and another group that buy the "old cuts appear whiter" story and talk themselves into it "liking" them because they think they get a large warm stone that appears "whiter".... well, and that's when all kinds of problems start lol

Hi- thank you so much for your perspective. Actually, for myself, I do not entirely agree. I love the look of an OEC diamond…. first and foremost. I do know that I definitely prefer (as does my daughter with whom this is for) them not to be exuding extreme warmth (I’m talking buttery color and beyond). I know that I have personally seen a couple of OEC’s that were lower in color- one being an L and another I believe to be much lower bc from the side it was obvious. That being said, straight on they were just super bright. The L one def just looked like a beautiful diamond. I’m sure next to a whiter stone it would be obvious but on her hand alone- it was not exuding any warmth (IMO) and just looked like a diamond that was in the “white family” so to speak… My point is, my daughter would love something that just looks beautiful but without being with color. I have a J stone and used to have an F. It’s obviously not nearly as white but on its own, it’s white looking for sure. I think you are correct that if you go into this process just looking for size and then “hoping it looks white” you may be disappointed. The intention of this post was to go into this purchase with eyes wide open and with the knowledge that it will be bezeled and therefore- how will that also impact the color of the stone.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock

ED342D50-F638-422A-A628-20FEF653FD87.jpeg 6393D772-A99D-4A24-8788-87BAAC982381.jpeg

That’s what we are after. Yours is so beautiful! He actually saw a 3ct L in his budget - GIA certified. He said he thought it looked white (not white white -lol- to clarify but not “with color”). So we shall see. The bezel is the concern and how it will
Impact the color. He said he would also like to to see some more to be sure. I also need to see it!! Thank you again!

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
That’s what we are after. Yours is so beautiful! He actually saw a 3ct L in his budget - GIA certified. He said he thought it looked white (not white white -lol- to clarify but not “with color”). So we shall see. The bezel is the concern and how it will
Impact the color. He said he would also like to to see some more to be sure. I also need to see it!! Thank you again!

Ps I just saw you had bought Missy’s OEC. I had that saved bc it was so incredible!!!! You lucky girl! ❤️

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results