Opinions please...

HCA score 1.7

Attachments

• 2.41 car.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 117

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clouds and SI2 are rarely innocuous. Can you see it in person? Is there a good return policy to give you cash not credit?

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Clouds and SI2 are rarely innocuous. Can you see it in person? Is there a good return policy to give you cash not credit?
yes, i can go see it in person...its about an hr away. So the cloud remark might not be a deal breaker? Im no diamond expert.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uploading image for ease of viewing by others.

FYI....look at the notes on the cert....Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown.

That is a bad note, especially on an SI2. I'm relatively certain this stone will look hazy/cloudy/milky as a result. I would be very cautious w/ this stone and probably pass.

Are you open to buying a stone from an online vendor? If so, what are your budgets and criteria for a diamond? Maybe we can help you find something better.

2.41 car.png

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Uploading image for ease of viewing by others.

FYI....look at the notes on the cert....Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown.

That is a bad note, especially on an SI2. I'm relatively certain this stone will look hazy/cloudy/milky as a result.

Are you open to buying a stone from an online vendor? If so, what are your budgets and criteria for a diamond? Maybe we can help you find something better.

2.41 car.png
yes im shopping with online vendors, JA, Blue Nile, Wht Flash. This came up local to me when searching through rare carat. The retailer is dreamstone.com. The price is great! The showroom is only an hr away by appointment only. Budget is 11-11.5k

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, okay. I think I commented on your other thread. You had a near 60/60 JA stone you were comparing against a 1.7x stone from WF, right?

That's a tough budget and size.

I think it's dirt cheap because it's cloudy. Remember, there are no free rides in life.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Ah, okay. I think I commented on your other thread. You had a near 60/60 JA stone you were comparing against a 1.7x stone from WF, right?

That's a tough budget and size.

I think it's dirt cheap because it's cloudy. Remember, there are no free rides in life.
much appreciated...

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
The WF stones you posted about are much better options, in my opinion. Is the size the issue for you? Are you wanting something bigger but trying to stay within your budget? I would not want to get a stone with natural indents and SI2 clouds to gain a millimeter.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes, i can go see it in person...its about an hr away. So the cloud remark might not be a deal breaker? Im no diamond expert.
If you can trust your eyes to look at the stone and determine if it is impacted by the clouds, which I think it will be, then go view it. If you do, let us know and we'll coach you on how to view it. But, there have been a lot of threads here with trade member involvement talking about how the diamond rough available now is not as "clean" as it used to be and that clouds and funky color is more common.

Can you start with telling us what your budget and stone desires are? What has the intended wearer expressed about shape, size and color? What does she do professionally? Anything over 2 c (round, ~8 mm) I would caution you to buy unless the wear has said they are comfortable with that size.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssstttt.....hey @rockysalamander

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pssstttt.....hey @rockysalamander

Thanks Sledge! Maybe OP can note if he has the same specs now in the search as in this post.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys, didn't really want to make two threads... but this one was an 1hr and 15 min drive away from me and they had an appointment available today. Hence I just wanted to get preliminary thoughts on the specs asap. Anyways, I doesn't look like it's worth the drive.

Thanks for the opinions...all your education is much appreciated...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry guys, didn't really want to make two threads... but this one was an 1hr and 15 min drive away from me and they had an appointment available today. Hence I just wanted to get preliminary thoughts on the specs asap. Anyways, I doesn't look like it's worth the drive.

Thanks for the opinions...all your education is much appreciated...

I didn't mean my comments in a negative manner. I apologize if they were taken that way.

It's not uncommon for someone to start a new thread with a new stone. Sometimes people lose track as a thread grows long. Also I understand your dilemma.

While I do think the stone may be a bust, it doesn't mean it's not worth a drive. You could examine with your eyes and take some pictures. Worst case is you know what a bad stone looks like. Best case is we assumed wrong and it's gorgeous.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if you have never had experience looking at diamonds, how will you know whether you see or don’t see what you think you should or shouldn’t?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
But if you have never had experience looking at diamonds, how will you know whether you see or don’t see what you think you should or shouldn’t?
Transparency issues can be subtle. Best practice is to compare the test stone side by side with another stone of similar size, color and cut quality in a VS1 or above clarity. Any significant transparency problem in the test stone will become apparent.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Transparency issues can be subtle. Best practice is to compare the test stone side by side with another stone of similar size, color and cut quality in a VS1 or above clarity. Any significant transparency problem in the test stone will become apparent.
thats a good way. Im leaning towards "too good to be true" at this point. Think im going with the whitflash stone or the JA true heart stone,

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...72752,4140151,4172755,4172756,4150010,4170624

amoline

Shiny_Rock
thats a good way. Im leaning towards "too good to be true" at this point. Think im going with the whitflash stone or the JA true heart stone,

At the end of the day you won't go wrong with a stone from Whiteflash, and I just haven't had any experience with JA.

Be sure to tell us your impressions and what you think when you decide and receive your stone

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...72752,4140151,4172755,4172756,4150010,4170624

So many good choices ... please let us know how it turns out! (Also, don't forget to come back and post a few photos once it's all said and done.) :bigsmile:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask WF to do a color comparison of the J and K stones they proposed? I think you'd benefit from seeing a video and/or pictures as well. You might ask them to toss an I in there for reference as well.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Here is pics...i cant tell the difference between them. I also got a video...but I cant post it. They look identical to me.

Attachments

• 1.811ct K VS2_1.726ct J SI1_1.78ct K SI1_1.jpg
    1.811ct K VS2_1.726ct J SI1_1.78ct K SI1_1.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.811ct K VS2_1.726ct J SI1_1.78ct K SI1_2.jpg
    1.811ct K VS2_1.726ct J SI1_1.78ct K SI1_2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell and they all look beautiful. I think I’d personally go with the K VS2.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is pics...i cant tell the difference between them. I also got a video...but I cant post it. They look identical to me.
Ask to see them from the side and at 45 degrees. You rarely will see color from the top for a well cut diamond in this color range.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to share the WF video, create a Gmail account that protects your privacy. Upload the video to YouTube. Once uploaded, post the YouTube link here.

As noted by @rockysalamander the face up view of the two photos you showed us is to be expected and what I was talking about earlier. Super ideals look bright and white and their maximum size because of ideal light return. But it's important to remember that color is viewed in the body of the diamond (pavilion). When you turn and rotate the diamond as suggested, that is when you may see color differences depending on your own sense of visual acuity and sensitivity.

Face Up Views:
1572690949321.png

Face Up View (direct light exhibiting fire):

1572691041164.png

Side View of Body:
1572691128885.png

Side View of Available JA Stones:
Not recommending any of these, but rather posting links so you can see the whole video. Note the J color stone is the 1.82 you asked about earlier. Notice how it looks more yellow than both the I and K? Remember how I mentioned colors have ranges -- you are seeing them at play.

I believe this demonstrates pretty well why looking at the stones from a side view are important to determining color effect.

FYI, I did screen caps of the JA videos as their videos better allow you to see color than the glamour fire videos of WF stones.

JA I-J-K Comparison.png

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Wow... that's crazy. The K looks better than the J. How is that possible if all are ags?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow... that's crazy. The K looks better than the J. How is that possible if all are ags?

A few reasons....color grading is subjective and done by humans. Being within 1+/- grades is acceptable, but they are normally spot on. They are pretty damn good at their jobs.

Most probable is the ranges I noted earlier. You can have a "low J" that looks closer to a K compared to a "high K" that looks closer to a J. And as you start to play in that J+ range you will see more variance. This is why Rocky and I are stressing the importance to view the diamond from the side.

My personal preference is very white diamonds, and when I first saw the 1.82 J my thoughts was it looked very tinted to me. I didn't say much then because I had been been looking at multiple D/E/F stones for other buyers and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. Tonight when I put them side by side in that custom pic, it confirmed my initial thoughts.

Me personally, I wouldn't buy that J, unless you and your girl are good with some warmth.

But again, it wasn't to kick on the JA stone so much as to show why viewing from the side was important in determining color.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What sledge said but also the K may have color zoning.
There could also be subtle differences in the lighting and or camera settings.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results