shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying engagement ring (stone)...need help!

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Im in the process of buying an engagement ring. My budget for the stone is 11k for a round. I would like to get a 2 karat or really close. I ve been shopping and looking at James Allen and Blue Nile. I thought I settled on a diamond, but its IGI certified...everything ive read says IGI is not as good as GIA. Its going in a white gold pave setting. Im so confused right now...this diamond shopping is more confusing than I thought. HELP please. Suggestions, links, anything would be great! I would like to buy this week is possible.

this was the one im currently holding,

cert.jpeg

Last edited:

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
You're correct that GIA and AGS are trusted more than IGI. Have you thought about looking at Brian Gavin Diamonds' Signature and Blue stones, as well as Whiteflash's ACA (A Cut Above) stones?

I'd be tempted by these two at BG, which are a little above $11K but may perform better than the one you have on hold at JA. Plus, their customer service is top-notch.

Brian Gavin Signature: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.528-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104106086133

Brian Gavin Blue: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....534-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-cbl-104107285035

I have a medium-blue fluorescent round from BG and couldn't be happier. Congratulations, by the way!

alltrac

Rough_Rock
You're correct that GIA and AGS are trusted more than IGI. Have you thought about looking at Brian Gavin Diamonds' Signature and Blue stones, as well as Whiteflash's ACA (A Cut Above) stones?

I'd be tempted by these two at BG, which are a little above $11K but may perform better than the one you have on hold at JA. Plus, their customer service is top-notch.

Brian Gavin Signature: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/.../1.528-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104106086133

Brian Gavin Blue: https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/....534-h-vs2-round-diamond-ags-cbl-104107285035

I have a medium-blue fluorescent round from BG and couldn't be happier. Congratulations, by the way!

really don't have the budget for those in the time frame that I need. Plus id like to stay around 1.85-2.carats if possible. And thank you for the congrats!

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
The JA 1.90 I/SI2 gets an HCA score of 2, so it's likely a very nice diamond. You can run the score for yourself here: https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca/

Here's another nice James Allen stone to consider ($12K):

Last edited:

amoline

Shiny_Rock
It's important to remember that carat weight is a measurement of, well, weight, and not much indication of how the diamond will look.

Since you are looking at a larger stone in an I color, I'm going to assume your SO is not color sensitive -- that is, not able to see the tint in warmer colored stones very well.

Unless you really need to hit the two carat mark for a cultural reason, this would be my pick from super ideal diamond vendor Whiteflash -- plus, you get a really nice upgrade policy and great service:

It will be just about the same size in terms of dimensions as your original choice and you likely wouldn't be able to tell a difference unless you spent significant time comparing side by side. The whiteflash diamonds are beautiful. - And, with the upgrade policy, when you have more money to spare you can always upgrade to that 2 carat mark for an anniversary gift and/or if you want to upgrade to a whiter stone.

Just my 2c - full disclaimer that I am biased to Whiteflash just because of the way that their stones look and the tremendous service that they have displayed to customers here on PS. :)

Another option would be to contact IDJewelry, who I've also heard good things about - Yekutiel is great at finding the "I need the absolute best stone for $ XYZ" requests. Mention that you are from PriceScope and request something certified in a PriceScope quality diamond and it's worth at least hearing what they come back with for you.

Congratulations on your engagement :)

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Great find and very useful explanation, Amoline.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
It's important to remember that carat weight is a measurement of, well, weight, and not much indication of how the diamond will look.

Since you are looking at a larger stone in an I color, I'm going to assume your SO is not color sensitive -- that is, not able to see the tint in warmer colored stones very well.

Unless you really need to hit the two carat mark for a cultural reason, this would be my pick from super ideal diamond vendor Whiteflash -- plus, you get a really nice upgrade policy and great service:

It will be just about the same size in terms of dimensions as your original choice and you likely wouldn't be able to tell a difference unless you spent significant time comparing side by side. The whiteflash diamonds are beautiful. - And, with the upgrade policy, when you have more money to spare you can always upgrade to that 2 carat mark for an anniversary gift and/or if you want to upgrade to a whiter stone.

Just my 2c - full disclaimer that I am biased to Whiteflash just because of the way that their stones look and the tremendous service that they have displayed to customers here on PS. :)

Another option would be to contact IDJewelry, who I've also heard good things about - Yekutiel is great at finding the "I need the absolute best stone for $ XYZ" requests. Mention that you are from PriceScope and request something certified in a PriceScope quality diamond and it's worth at least hearing what they come back with for you.

Congratulations on

Congratulations on your engagement :)

Thank you for the congrats! And no she is not sensitive to a color, but I don't want a "yellow" stone. As far as the 2 carat,it's something that has some significance as far as an "inside joke" that I had running between us. So really, I understand that carat is just weight. But im really trying to stay at the 11k mark with the stone :(. As far as upgrading later,she doesn't believe in that. She believes in keeping the ring she was given "as is". Thats why im trying to maximize. FYI, she doesn't know this is coming.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
In general, you should try and keep your search within the following diamond proportions:

depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - thin to slightly thick, thin to medium, etc (avoid very thin or thick)
polish and symmetry - very good and above

The diamond you posted looks almost like what is called a 60/60 stone, and provides a different look than other types. 60/60 stones provide more white light return where as non-60/60s show more colored fire.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
In general, you should try and keep your search within the following diamond proportions:

depth - 60 - 62%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - thin to slightly thick, thin to medium, etc (avoid very thin or thick)
polish and symmetry - very good and above

The diamond you posted looks almost like what is called a 60/60 stone, and provides a different look than other types. 60/60 stones provide more white light return where as non-60/60s show more colored fire.
which stone? the first one I posted or the second?

amoline

Shiny_Rock
The one right above my post -- the 2.00 carat round from BN.

Would not be a stone I would necessarily consider.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Last edited:

amoline

Shiny_Rock
I'd worry about the black inclusions right underneath the table on those stones but ultimately you would have to ask JA to what extent they are eye clean. Also depends on what your girl is able to see - it may not be significant but if she can see it it will bother her forever.

You mention that she does not know this is coming. - for a purchase that costs this much money it may be worth discussing it at least minimally and keeping the proposal a surprise. A 2 carat diamond is not a small diamond, and you may want to ensure that she is OK with wearing such a stone at work, around her friends, etc. and have her try on different sizes of stones. Ultimately it is about making her happy with something she'll wear forever, since you mentioned that you won't upgrade.

When you're in SI1 and ESPECIALLY the SI2 grades, you're venturing into "unicorn" territory - that is, few stones will be really eye clean and it will be a challenge finding one that fits all criteria well. You really have to do searching or have a vendor do it for you. It may also be worth getting in touch with JA and asking what they have for your budget as close to the size that you're looking for, and ask them about how visibly clean stones are.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
I'd worry about the black inclusions right underneath the table on those stones but ultimately you would have to ask JA to what extent they are eye clean. Also depends on what your girl is able to see - it may not be significant but if she can see it it will bother her forever.

You mention that she does not know this is coming. - for a purchase that costs this much money it may be worth discussing it at least minimally and keeping the proposal a surprise. A 2 carat diamond is not a small diamond, and you may want to ensure that she is OK with wearing such a stone at work, around her friends, etc. and have her try on different sizes of stones. Ultimately it is about making her happy with something she'll wear forever, since you mentioned that you won't upgrade.

When you're in SI1 and ESPECIALLY the SI2 grades, you're venturing into "unicorn" territory - that is, few stones will be really eye clean and it will be a challenge finding one that fits all criteria well. You really have to do searching or have a vendor do it for you. It may also be worth getting in touch with JA and asking what they have for your budget as close to the size that you're looking for, and ask them about how visibly clean stones are.

good advice. Ive been in touch with JA and making sure they are eyeclean, Trust me...she has no problem wearing a 2 carat ring...lol.

this one faces up at 7.97 x 8.0...pretty much like a 2 carat and is a true hearts from JA. Not bad...maybe? cert (2).jpeg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This last 1.82 from JA you posted is very similar to a 60/60 style stone, where both the depth and table are 60%.

They have different looks, and also perform differently than Tolk style ideal cut stones (similar to WF and also the specs @amoline suggested earlier). This isn't good or bad necessarily, but rather a preference. It seems many people prefer the bolder rainbow flashes a Tolk style ideal cut offers.

Here is a side by side comparison. What do you think?

Capture200.PNG

alltrac

Rough_Rock
This last 1.82 from JA you posted is very similar to a 60/60 style stone, where both the depth and table are 60%.

They have different looks, and also perform differently than Tolk style ideal cut stones (similar to WF and also the specs @amoline suggested earlier). This isn't good or bad necessarily, but rather a preference. It seems many people prefer the bolder rainbow flashes a Tolk style ideal cut offers.

Here is a side by side comparison. What do you think?

Capture200.PNG
Ohhhh...okay. Im learning and confused at the same time. Yeah, I prefer those bolder rainbow flashes that you speak of. Guessing this just wont be as much with the JA stone?

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Holy smoke, @alltrac -- what great options she found! Any of those will be a winner. If I were choosing one for myself, I'd go with the 1.78 K/SI1.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier you mentioned you didn't want a "yellow" diamond. Because of everyone's unique visual acuity and sensitivities, what is yellow to one may not be yellow to another. I suggest you learn what yellow means to you, and even better, what your future wife will consider yellow so you get a stone that makes HER happy.

Keep in mind that color grades are a RANGE meaning you could find a high J that looks almost like an I color stone, or maybe a low J that is closer to a K or maybe just a plain ole J in the middle. Additionally, as you go further down in color grade the range grows. So a D color has a very narrow range. An H will have a bigger range than a D but less than a K, and so on and so forth.

The above in consideration I would pick 3-5 stones you like from WF, preferably in I, J and K colors and have them do comparison photos and videos (they will do upon request) so you can see any variances and how those variances may or may not effect you and your future wife.

Additionally stones can have different undertones that effect how they look. Probably the most common is yellow; however, other colors such as brown, grey, green, etc exist. GIA or AGS graded stones do not report brown or grey undertones in colors J and above. Any other undertone (besides yellow, brown and grey) have to be reported on stones graded G and below.

When working with a super ideal vendor like WF or similar, they are aware of this and will be able to quickly note such undertones if they exist but are not a color grade that they are reported. Also since they own the stones and keep them in a secured vault they can easily pull them to more closely examine if necessary. When buying from virtual inventory dealers like BN, JA, etc where they don't physically own the stone but rather source their stones from (usually overseas, but not always) suppliers and then ships them in when someone wishes to buy may not always be as alert to the undertones. You can (and should) request these virtual vendors verify the undertone color prior to purchase IMO. They will have their overseas supplier locate, pull the stone and provide a review that they will then report back to you.

For instance I like brown undertones compared to yellow but I fall in the minority.

Alas, color is seen and graded by looking at the sides (pavilion) of the diamond. So as carat weight increases the body size increases which means color becomes more noticeable in larger stones. However, an ideal cut will reflect light in such a powerful way and edge to edge on the diamond that ideal stones tend to look bigger and also whiter when viewing in the face up position. Obviously this advantage is minimized when looking at the body/pavilion of the stone.

At the end of the day, color is a very user specific preference but IMO is usually the #2 characteristic that people notice about a diamond. The cut being the #1 thing. And for many, size will be a close #3 or in some cases may trade places with color, again depending on the person.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would caution you at buying a K color stone, and even some Js, unless your girl has seen diamonds and said she is cool with body color. You will SEE color from the side and at a 45 degree tilt. As the wearer of a stone, you mostly see it from a 45 degrees, which is the angle that reveals body color to the observer.

In my experience, most people can start who are not terribly color-acute start to see body color at an I color. With that in mind, I'd stick with I and maybe a stone WF says is a high "J". You can also reach out to HigherPerformanceDIamonds to see if they have any SI2 that fit your budget. They have access to more than are on the website.

I think your desire to hit a certain size within your budget (no judgement on either) -- are driving you to stone that may appear "yellow" which you said you did not want. If this is a one-and-done stone, you really want to err on the side of caution IMHO.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
Great advice all... thanks. Maybe time to rethink. Just so many variables. Problem is time is not on my side. Other things happening by the beginning of December which forces me to have the ring by then. Otherwise I would wait and increase budget, but circumstances make it just not possible

alltrac

Rough_Rock
I would caution you at buying a K color stone, and even some Js, unless your girl has seen diamonds and said she is cool with body color. You will SEE color from the side and at a 45 degree tilt. As the wearer of a stone, you mostly see it from a 45 degrees, which is the angle that reveals body color to the observer.

In my experience, most people can start who are not terribly color-acute start to see body color at an I color. With that in mind, I'd stick with I and maybe a stone WF says is a high "J". You can also reach out to HigherPerformanceDIamonds to see if they have any SI2 that fit your budget. They have access to more than are on the website.

I think your desire to hit a certain size within your budget (no judgement on either) -- are driving you to stone that may appear "yellow" which you said you did not want. If this is a one-and-done stone, you really want to err on the side of caution IMHO.

Thanks for the insight...

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of those rare SI2's that @rockysalamander was talking about.

1.59 I SI2 @ $11,311 wire

55.8 table, 61.5 depth, 34.7 crown, 40.7 pavilion & 76 LGF's :love: :love:

Small table and crown/pavilion combo will make big fire. Also, love the slightly fatter arrows the 76 LGF's offer. This is your sparkle bomb, in an I color. And Wink will jump through hoops on the customer service side to work with your deadlines. Win...win....win!

And there are very few places I'd consider buying an SI2, but HPD is on the approved list.

Top notch stone. Measures 7.51 x 7.53 by the way.

Edited to Add:
Oh yeah, and even though you say you will never need it -- lifetime upgrade program (spend $1 more and get full value of original purchase to buy whatever your heart desires, rather that be a bigger stone, or multiple stones, better color, etc). Also, a lifetime 80% buyback policy, which no other vendor offers.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
What type of metal will the setting be? I’m having my “I” set in yellow or rose gold and “I” seemed to be the sweet spot for me. I might feel the need for a higher color in platinum or white gold but it can really depend on the stone. You could also look for a stone with some fluorescence. All the “J” color diamonds I looked at threw too much yellow. Mine faces up pretty white and I can just barely tell when I put it next to my ring with E/F round brilliants set in platinum.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the odd woman out here -- I prefer warmer stones, and I'm a lovesick fool for blue fluorescence. I just love it. My 1.3 carat M/SI2 with medium blue fluorescence is hands-down the loveliest diamond I have. It glows, and it faces up clear as day.

Whiteflash can guide you in the right direction in terms of the stones they recommended for you, @alltrac.

alltrac

Rough_Rock
What type of metal will the setting be? I’m having my “I” set in yellow or rose gold and “I” seemed to be the sweet spot for me. I might feel the need for a higher color in platinum or white gold but it can really depend on the stone. You could also look for a stone with some fluorescence. All the “J” color diamonds I looked at threw too much yellow. Mine faces up pretty white and I can just barely tell when I put it next to my ring with E/F round brilliants set in platinum.
Wht gold setting...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results