shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 2 carat Cushion Cut

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Greetings everyone !

I’m a newbie in this but I’ve been reading and researching a lot for the past years. I have my heart set on elongated cushion cut (even before I got to know my soon to be fiancè) :razz: The time is finally here, so here we are !

I have been looking at quite a few diamonds and shortlisted this particular one. Can I get your honest opinion on this piece please ?

BDAE1311-CA36-4F0C-B776-CC8DAD5B42A6.jpeg A422A830-D59B-4F49-B9A7-102C7D65A481.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a video of the stone anywhere? I'd be concerned about the dark areas in the center of the stone. Are the dark areas there most
of the time or are they only a blip when the stone faces straight up? That would/could make a difference to me. A video would help show
how the stone reacts as it moves.

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Is there a video of the stone anywhere? I'd be concerned about the dark areas in the center of the stone. Are the dark areas there most
of the time or are they only a blip when the stone faces straight up? That would/could make a difference to me. A video would help show
how the stone reacts as it moves.

Sorry, just managed to upload the video. Here it is ! :)

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Do you like the facet? You can google “cushion cut facet patterns” and see the variety.
I do prefer faceted as opposed to the crushed ice look :) I’m honestly quite inexperienced in this, how does it look to you?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kuzpy
I’m curious- are your preferences based on in person evaluation or solely on pics/ videos?

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Hi Kuzpy
I’m curious- are your preferences based on in person evaluation or solely on pics/ videos?

Hi there, thank you for responding! I’ve not seen the stone in person. I shortlisted this stone solely based on the specs, picture and video. Can you kindly tell me what you think about it? I’m feeling so anxious :(

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was really asking about your reaction to what you’re calling “Crushed Ice”

In terms of the stone you posted:
As a trade member I’m not allowed to comment on stones being offered by other sellers.
And I don’t envy people trying to make this choice based solely on rotating videos.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
I do prefer faceted as opposed to the crushed ice look :) I’m honestly quite inexperienced in this, how does it look to you?

I’m not an expert, but I’m not a big fan of the stone. Also, you are paying for something you cannot see (VVS1). Can you get ASET images of the stone? My favorite type of non-antique cushion is the 8-main cushion brilliant.

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
I was really asking about your reaction to what you’re calling “Crushed Ice”

In terms of the stone you posted:
As a trade member I’m not allowed to comment on stones being offered by other sellers.
And I don’t envy people trying to make this choice based solely on rotating videos.

Sorry, I was confused. I’ve been to stores and have personally seen crushed iced and faceted pieces side by side. I prefer faceted :) unfortunately, I’m buying the stone online.. therefore I do not have the privilege to see the stone in person before purchasing..

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
I’m not an expert, but I’m not a big fan of the stone. Also, you are paying for something you cannot see (VVS1). Can you get ASET images of the stone? My favorite type of non-antique cushion is the 8-main cushion brilliant.

Thanks for you feedback. Can you tell me more of why you’re not a fan of the stone ? Do you know whether I can get the ASET images of the stone online as how GIA certs are or do I need to request it from the seller ?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry, I was confused. I’ve been to stores and have personally seen crushed iced and faceted pieces side by side

No worries!!!
If you had been here for many years, you would understand the source of my questions. Nothing sinister :)
Did the jeweler you visited use the term “Crushed Ice”
See, the term has no set definition. It had been used in a derogatory manner many times here on PS. (Although in fairness, that’s changed over the years)
Just as an example- I completely get why you used the term faceted to describe what you want to see- but crushed ice ( whatever that means) stones are also faceted.

To my eye- the best examples are like a “bottomless bucket of crushed ice”
The best Fancy Colored cushions are generally cut this way.

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for you feedback. Can you tell me more of why you’re not a fan of the stone ? Do you know whether I can get the ASET images of the stone online as how GIA certs are or do I need to request it from the seller ?

It’s difficult to asses the stone’s light performance from the short video only, but it doesn’t “wow” me. You can ask the vendor to take ASET images for you. Do a quick search on pricescope. You can see what good ASET images look like. I also want you to take a look at different kinds of cushion and make sure you like that particular type.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
There’s so much variety in faceting with cushion cuts it really depends what style/effect YOU like. Once I had an idea of what faceting pattern I liked, I would want to evaluate how stones perform moving in different lighting conditions.

I agree with @Sakuracherry that it might help you to google “cushion cut facet patterns.” For example, you say you’re not a fan of crushed ice but the faceting pattern of the stone you’ve chosen could be considered crushed ice.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/cushion-cut-diamond

https://frankdarling.com/cushion-cut-diamonds-beyond-the-four-cs/

https://princessbridediamonds.com/b...n/the-4-types-of-cushion-cut-diamonds-to-know

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guys- there’s no such thing as “crushed Ice” in any sort of technical way. It’s a label ......like “hottie”.
There’s no specific specs, and different observers have different ideas as to what the term means.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Guys- there’s no such thing as “crushed Ice” in any sort of technical way. It’s a label ......like “hottie”.
There’s no specific specs, and different observers have different ideas as to what the term means.

100% agree. My operative words above being “could be considered.” I hope my links above will help OP start thinking about faceting patterns.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Didn’t mean to pick on you 123ducklings:)

Lets use another comparison/ analogy for using facet patterns to determine what a diamond will look like.
The classified ad says he’s 6feet tall, 180 pounds , blue eyes, blond hair.
Want to marry him?... lol

Seriously- two cushion diamonds with identical facet plots on the GIA can- and often do- look totally different in real life.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Didn’t mean to pick on you 123ducklings:)

Lets use another comparison/ analogy for using facet patterns to determine what a diamond will look like.
The classified ad says he’s 6feet tall, 180 pounds , blue eyes, blond hair.
Want to marry him?... lol

Seriously- two cushion diamonds with identical facet plots on the GIA can- and often do- look totally different in real life.

Very true and I completely respect your expertise Rockdiamond!

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Read through this guide CharmyPoo posted a while ago. This might help explain the different styles of cushions.

“Crushed Ice” stones can be quite beautiful if that is the style of stone YOU prefer.
8 mains are hard to find, like hens teeth hard.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the original diamond, it is above-average for sure. As @tyty333 noted, the only concern is the obstruction in the middle. Othetwise, good light return for an elongated cushion

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
No worries!!!
If you had been here for many years, you would understand the source of my questions. Nothing sinister :)
Did the jeweler you visited use the term “Crushed Ice”
See, the term has no set definition. It had been used in a derogatory manner many times here on PS. (Although in fairness, that’s changed over the years)
Just as an example- I completely get why you used the term faceted to describe what you want to see- but crushed ice ( whatever that means) stones are also faceted.

To my eye- the best examples are like a “bottomless bucket of crushed ice”
The best Fancy Colored cushions are generally cut this way.

I see, thank you for your explanation :) to answer your question, yes, the jewellers I enquired with did use the term “crushed ice”. I research the term “crushed ice” on google thereafter. Surprisingly there are so many conflicting explanation on “crushed ice” on google haha

Now I know all cushion cuts are faceted anyway! Thank you ! :)

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
It’s difficult to asses the stone’s light performance from the short video only, but it doesn’t “wow” me. You can ask the vendor to take ASET images for you. Do a quick search on pricescope. You can see what good ASET images look like. I also want you to take a look at different kinds of cushion and make sure you like that particular type.

Thank you for your opinion :) I just requested for the ASET images from the jeweller, hopefully they provide them to me. I asked them for the ASET images in the past but they told me that because they are getting the stone from a supplier, they may not be able to verify whether the ASET images provided by the supplier truly belong to the stone in question.

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Read through this guide CharmyPoo posted a while ago. This might help explain the different styles of cushions.

“Crushed Ice” stones can be quite beautiful if that is the style of stone YOU prefer.
8 mains are hard to find, like hens teeth hard.

Thank you for the link! I’ll definitely read and study more on this :)

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Regarding the original diamond, it is above-average for sure. As @tyty333 noted, the only concern is the obstruction in the middle. Othetwise, good light return for an elongated cushion

Thank you for your view :) really appreciate it. I guess I just needed to know that I’m making a calculated decision based on the specs, image and video provided to me. I’ve been dreaming of it for such a long time and wanted to make sure we’re not paying for a bad stone :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
the jewellers I enquired with did use the term “crushed ice

This is so interesting to me. I spent a large portion of my life selling diamonds to jewelry stores. It’s been years and I’ve lost touch with most of them.
Sounds like the salesperson at least was pretty well informed to lingo. A lot f the stories I read here involve salespeople that are clueless.
Was it an older person?

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
This is so interesting to me. I spent a large portion of my life selling diamonds to jewelry stores. It’s been years and I’ve lost touch with most of them.
Sounds like the salesperson at least was pretty well informed to lingo. A lot f the stories I read here involve salespeople that are clueless.
Was it an older person?

Thanks @Rockdiamond, I'm sure your professional input is deeply valued by everyone here. Shame that you're not allowed to comment on the stone :snooty:

The salesperson is a young. From my guess, probably in his 30s.

I hope I'm making the right decision. I guess there's only so much I can assess, given that the stone is not physically with the jeweller and alI have is the GIA cert, image and a short video. Wish me luck !!:)

Kuzpy

Rough_Rock
Hi all, can I have your opinionS on these images please?

235CC1AB-39D6-4C63-AF66-92C6F474997E.jpeg FD4A13D9-8B8E-4DBF-91A6-F1C377A36C93.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like it has nice light return with the exception of those few facets you can see in the idealscope, aset, and video (going through the center).

Is this stone returnable?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results