shape
carat
color
clarity

Ooops Bought wrong diamond and it has blue nuance

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Addressing some general comments (and possibly some misconceptions): I usually look for and avoid blue nuance because it is almost always a result of a cheated and accelerated growth process. HPHT can be grainy, cloudy, and hazy as well...then couple that with the effects of exposure to UV. The appearance *can* be the same as a natural diamond that is grainy and has fluorescence. Not always, but the risk is heightened and may result in buyer's remorse and, as stated earlier, unnecessary returns/refunds/exchanges.
It's not being scared of it...it's playing it hyper-safe on behalf of those that come here asking for help to find a great LGD.
If you like it, then get it. No wrong choice as long as the potential risks are understood and acceptable.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I feel about the fear of blue nuance the same way I feel about the fear of cvd+hpht its rather silly not to take it on a case by case basis.
Want to save a few bucks? take advantage of it and get the best of em.
Ultimately its up to the buyer to make an informed decision.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of a blue nuance diamond that I stumbled across a while ago...it's a great example of the kind of appearance that can happen. Can, as in a risk, but not a guarantee that all blue nuance diamonds will appear like this in certain lighting conditions. It is definitely a case by case basis and can't be determined without assessment.

Screenshot_20220122-195739.png

Screenshot_20220122-195706.png

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a picture of a blue nuance diamond that I stumbled across a while ago...it's a great example of the kind of appearance that can happen. Can, as in a risk, but not a guarantee that all blue nuance diamonds will appear like this in certain lighting conditions. It is definitely a case by case basis and can't be determined without assessment.

Screenshot_20220122-195739.png

Screenshot_20220122-195706.png

I really really hate commenting on what is someones ring are you sure someone here does not own it, who is going to be very upset if we discuss it?

My question is, do you think that diamond looks like that because of a little boron? If so why?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I really really hate commenting on what is someones ring are you sure someone here does not own it, who is going to be very upset if we discuss it?

My question is, do you think that diamond looks like that because of a little boron? If so why?

Hi Kim. I didn't get the picture from PriceScope, so I can't confirm if it a ring that someone here has.
My guess would be that a bit of graining or clouding coupled with the presence of boron, nitrogen, or any other element that causes fluorescence (or phosphorescence) is the likely culprit making the diamond appear rather oily and hazy when exposed to UV light.
Probably a pretty small risk of it actually happening, but it's a risk that I don't want to take when recommending diamonds to those seeking help.
My personal approach is to generally avoid it like graining and/or clouding coupled with fluorescence when searching natural grown diamonds.
That that being said, I've seen some beautiful blue nuance diamonds posted here that have no oily/hazy appearance no matter the lighting condition.
But all it takes is one bad experience and that person that sought assistance now has to go through the frustrations of starting all over again and a return/exchange process...if they are able to, based on their own location and their seller's location and policies.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Where did you buy it from that you can't return it?

Ritani, but i already returned 2 last November and i thought they had a policy where you could only return 2 a year?? I called but they left me on hold for 15 minutes and said to leave a message which i did but no one has called back yet

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Addressing some general comments (and possibly some misconceptions): I usually look for and avoid blue nuance because it is almost always a result of a cheated and accelerated growth process. HPHT can be grainy, cloudy, and hazy as well...then couple that with the effects of exposure to UV. The appearance *can* be the same as a natural diamond that is grainy and has fluorescence. Not always, but the risk is heightened and may result in buyer's remorse and, as stated earlier, unnecessary returns/refunds/exchanges.
It's not being scared of it...it's playing it hyper-safe on behalf of those that come here asking for help to find a great LGD.
If you like it, then get it. No wrong choice as long as the potential risks are understood and acceptable.
well said ... and i totally agree and get what you're saying - if someone is asking your opinion you want to give them all the info and make sure it's right or at least they know what they're getting!

It came and i dont like it, it's not cloudy or hazy or anything, it's EXTREMELY sparkly actually and clear, but ALL of my lab diamonds seem to have a grey undertone that i dont like. I dont know if it's just as simple as that i like warm diamonds?? I have my grandmonther's I color and i had an L and i loved both. I called ritani to see if i can exchange it, i dont care if i get store credit

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have it yet?

YES! and I dont like it LOL
I mean I am at my office and the lighting here sucks and I'm in New York and we're having a tropical storm so it's been raining for 3 days, let me try to take some pics

Its also not as big as i thought, i have a serious problem.. LOL. I have a 2.7 and it doesnt look "huge' to me compared to what I already have like i thought it would

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Would like to know as well!

Ritani ! Hoping I can exchange it, i am fine getting a different one from them. Last time i bought from they was last November and they had a '2 returns per year' policy. I was on hold for 15 minutes and then left a message so i guess i'll see if they call back if not I'll try them again later

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I feel about the fear of blue nuance the same way I feel about the fear of cvd+hpht its rather silly not to take it on a case by case basis.
Want to save a few bucks? take advantage of it and get the best of em.
Ultimately its up to the buyer to make an informed decision.

Great point, as long as you know what you're getting into, and yes, evaluate case by case.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
oh, poo! I'm sorry it isn't what you were hoping for!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like they updated their return policy as of November of last year... so i think i can exchange it, so YAY ... i think i need to go for a warmer J and maybe i will be happier with that LOL

I feel the exact same way as you. I have found I don't like the way white stones look. My fave stone I've had was a K. Even my I stone is whiter than I prefer

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. A valuable observation that may benefit other buyers.
Office lighting, have you tried taking it to a bar?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kim. I didn't get the picture from PriceScope, so I can't confirm if it a ring that someone here has.
My guess would be that a bit of graining or clouding coupled with the presence of boron, nitrogen, or any other element that causes fluorescence (or phosphorescence) is the likely culprit making the diamond appear rather oily and hazy when exposed to UV light.
Probably a pretty small risk of it actually happening, but it's a risk that I don't want to take when recommending diamonds to those seeking help.
My personal approach is to generally avoid it like graining and/or clouding coupled with fluorescence when searching natural grown diamonds.
That that being said, I've seen some beautiful blue nuance diamonds posted here that have no oily/hazy appearance no matter the lighting condition.
But all it takes is one bad experience and that person that sought assistance now has to go through the frustrations of starting all over again and a return/exchange process...if they are able to, based on their own location and their seller's location and policies.

Is there a grading report saying it is hpht?
I agree its very poor crystal and the cut is just as bad.
Very poor crystal can be made using any of the methods, even in nature.
I am not saying its not bad, my question was about the conclusion that its an example of a stone with to much boron.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I feel the exact same way as you. I have found I don't like the way white stones look. My fave stone I've had was a K. Even my I stone is whiter than I prefer

I guess i feel like we're not 'supposed' to like it but i do... even my grandmother's "I" sometimes gets the 'greyness' that i dont like but they warmth cancels it a bit for me so i think i will like a J. I definitely dont like this though

Here it looks ok
IMG_9629.jpg

this i dont like
IMG_9631.jpg

* think there's a drop of water on it on this below pic from when i went out in the rain
IMG_9639.jpg

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
That's blue? I'll show you blue nuance.

Yeah, that glows!! LOL i feel like Im beginning to be an expert on it now from looking at 100 diamonds over the weekend, now i can pick it out without even looking at the report... lol

On a side note, How is this an "I" color?????

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is there a grading report saying it is hpht?
I agree its very poor crystal and the cut is just as bad.
Very poor crystal can be made using any of the methods, even in nature.
I am not saying its not bad, my question was about the conclusion that its an example of a stone with to much boron.

Unfortunately no grading report...it was from a Reddit post over a year ago, if I'm recalling correctly.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the Ah Ha! , Inked. I would have stared at that diamond and thought, what's wrong with me?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that glows!! LOL i feel like Im beginning to be an expert on it now from looking at 100 diamonds over the weekend, now i can pick it out without even looking at the report... lol

On a side note, How is this an "I" color?????

Oh no, I'm sorry you ended up not liking it!

The I seems to have a fair amount of internal graining. I also prefer pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9 for a ring.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, I'm sorry you ended up not liking it!

The I seems to have a fair amount of internal graining. I also prefer pavilion angles of 40.6-40.9 for a ring.

Well, back to the drawing board! Thanks for taking a look. It was really kind of an impulse purchase without too much thought (for my birthday, i was told i could buy something and given a budget) I didnt really *want* anything to be honest, I wasnt exactly in the market. Hopefully i can exchange it for something warmer.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I guess i feel like we're not 'supposed' to like it but i do... even my grandmother's "I" sometimes gets the 'greyness' that i dont like but they warmth cancels it a bit for me so i think i will like a J. I definitely dont like this though

Here it looks ok
IMG_9629.jpg

this i dont like
IMG_9631.jpg

* think there's a drop of water on it on this below pic from when i went out in the rain
IMG_9639.jpg

That's what I call 'cold' for lack of more informed terminology. It's not a look I gravitate toward.
*and that I is not an I, but I'm the weirdo who likes them with a lot of tint.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
That's what I call 'cold' for lack of more informed terminology. It's not a look I gravitate toward.
*and that I is not an I, but I'm the weirdo who likes them with a lot of tint.

Seriously! I like warm too and I dont like thaat steely grey, of which i have 2 of now, so I changed my parameters and this "I" color one came up and i was like, how is this possibly listed as an "I" color?!? I actually considered it for a hot minute! LOL

If ritani wont let me exchange you will be seeing the one i bought on the 'preloved' board for 50% off LOL

Lcorb

Rough_Rock
Ritani, but i already returned 2 last November and i thought they had a policy where you could only return 2 a year?? I called but they left me on hold for 15 minutes and said to leave a message which i did but no one has called back yet

If you don’t like the stone when you receive it I would still try to return it. Last month I returned some loose stones to Ritani well outside of the return window. Not 100% sure they would let you but it’s worth a shot if you’re not happy with the stone. I just opened a chat and told them I wanted to start a return. They didn’t ever mention that it was outside the return period.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results