shape
carat
color
clarity

Ooops Bought wrong diamond and it has blue nuance

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo clearly i have a problem and I wanted to buy a bigger diamond. LOL. I certainly belong here. Anyway, I had a few diamonds in my cart that I liked that i planned to 'look into more'. One of them had blue nuance on the report but i didnt really see it in the loupe 360 so i left it in my cart. I wont bore you with how i could possible have bought the wrong diamond in the end, BUT.... i bought the wrong diamond! I removed the ones I didnt like from my cart at home and when i came to work it was still there... anyway, i wont bore you with details of how I could be such an idiot. The problem is - i bought the wrong one - aaaaaaand I cant return it.

So my question is, how bad is it to have blue nuance?? Like is this the end of the world?? Is it going to look dull or something? Am I going to see a huge difference? I didn't actually really notice it on the Loupe 360 (i have noticed it on others, just not on this one, which is why the darn thing wound up in my cart in the first place) Im generally not color sensitive.

UG!! Please tell me this isnt the end of the world? I mean it was definitely inexpensive for 4.2 carats ....but it was 4.2 carats so it wasnt free or anything LOL

Make it better, but be honest, am i really going to see this?! It was a few days ago and its going through the processing steps so I dont have it yet to see it in person to actually see if i notice it so all I'm doing is stressing over it.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
It is pretty faint from the video. Once set you likely won't notice it. I owned one with stronger blue nuance and it mostly looked more steely if that makes sense. It never looked blue. And it wasn't cloudy or anything. It actually was a very beautiful stone. I only sold it because I too have a problem and needed to clean out a few things. I would be open to buying a blue nuance stone again.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you - that definitely makes me feel a little better! Im hoping I'll be fine once i see it in person. Im hoping im blown away by the size LOL

Just everyone treats it like the plague so Im wondering HOW big a difference it will make. I have a CVD and a "no nuance HPHT" that honestly both look steely to me as it is so maybe i wont notice ,,, i hope,,, lol

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you - that definitely makes me feel a little better! Im hoping I'll be fine once i see it in person. Im hoping im blown away by the size LOL

Just everyone treats it like the plague so Im wondering HOW big a difference it will make. I have a CVD and a "no nuance HPHT" that honestly both look steely to me as it is so maybe i wont notice ,,, i hope,,, lol

Well I think the goal with lab diamonds is usually to get it as similar to earth grown as possible so that would mean avoiding blue nuance. But I love lab diamonds because they make my obsession with sparkle a little more affordable. And because of that I am far more open to experimenting with colors, clarities, etc.. And subtle blue nuance can make larger stones more affordable so I'm not totally opposed to it. I don't think this one is very overtly blue from the video so hopefully you will love it when you see it.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
If you are not color sensitive you may not even notice it in a G unless you compare it with a D/E from the side. I actually like blue nuance for the blue tint and the discount. As a point of reference here’s a IGI graded 2.57 E, 4.12 F, and 2.62 faint blue G on white paper. All HPHT with blue nuance.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
If you are not color sensitive you may not even notice it in a G unless you compare it with a D/E from the side. I actually like blue nuance for the blue tint and the discount. As a point of reference here’s a IGI graded 2.57 E, 4.12 F, and 2.62 faint blue G on white paper. All HPHT with blue nuance.

Wow, thank you for this! It makes me feel a bit better. I cannot believe I messed up and bought the wrong one, LOL.

I really dont notice it here, and I am not color sensitive at all, I had an OEC L that looked white to me, LOL

Thank you again!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It really is quite faint and will just look a little bit 'cold', if that makes sense.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have experience with blue nuance personally but here's hoping that you won't notice and still love the stone! Please share, if you get a chance, when it comes in! :)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buy a bunch of blue clothes and you will never notice it because you being blue will over power it.

Being serious for 5 seconds, I kinda like mild blue nuance.
Its like a superpower only visible in some lighting conditions.
woops I failed to be serious but its true.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It really is quite faint and will just look a little bit 'cold', if that makes sense.

Thank you! I feel like if I could see it in person I’d probably stop stressing out over it but it was just one of those things where I finally made the decision to pull the trigger so I did it quick without double checking my cart , I’m such an idiot I still can’t believe I did that. Thank you so much for weighing in!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Buy a bunch of blue clothes and you will never notice it because you being blue will over power it.

Being serious for 5 seconds, I kinda like mild blue nuance.
Its like a superpower only visible in some lighting conditions.
woops I failed to be serious but its true.

Lol! Thanks for the perspective & humor Karl! I suppose I could fill in all my tattoos with blue ink

Thank you all for taking the time to reply I will stop stressing because it sounds like it’s not as bad as I was first thinking!

luckygreen317

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo clearly i have a problem and I wanted to buy a bigger diamond. LOL. I certainly belong here. Anyway, I had a few diamonds in my cart that I liked that i planned to 'look into more'. One of them had blue nuance on the report but i didnt really see it in the loupe 360 so i left it in my cart. I wont bore you with how i could possible have bought the wrong diamond in the end, BUT.... i bought the wrong diamond! I removed the ones I didnt like from my cart at home and when i came to work it was still there... anyway, i wont bore you with details of how I could be such an idiot. The problem is - i bought the wrong one - aaaaaaand I cant return it.

So my question is, how bad is it to have blue nuance?? Like is this the end of the world?? Is it going to look dull or something? Am I going to see a huge difference? I didn't actually really notice it on the Loupe 360 (i have noticed it on others, just not on this one, which is why the darn thing wound up in my cart in the first place) Im generally not color sensitive.

UG!! Please tell me this isnt the end of the world? I mean it was definitely inexpensive for 4.2 carats ....but it was 4.2 carats so it wasnt free or anything LOL

Make it better, but be honest, am i really going to see this?! It was a few days ago and its going through the processing steps so I dont have it yet to see it in person to actually see if i notice it so all I'm doing is stressing over it.

I think you will be OK with the blue nuance in a G color stone. I have E color RB lab diamond studs with “slight” blue nuance and it is so subtle and only noticeable in some lighting conditions. Honestly, if I didn’t know it was there I probably wouldn’t see it if that makes sense.
IMG_2923.jpeg

Based on the video, I don’t see it in your stone. Based on my research, supposedly the nuance is more noticeable in fancy cut or step cut stones.

“The blue nuance occurs in diamonds that are grown through the HPHT (high pressure high temperature) process. Luckily, not all HPHT diamonds have it. During the HPHT process, lab diamonds are sometimes exposed to boron, which speeds up the diamond growth process. Boron impurities are what cause the diamond to turn blue.”

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The same people are afraid of faint brown. Sigh. Buy a CZ, those are white.
Some very experienced diamond owners here have said they enjoy the tints and unusual aspects of both mined and lab diamonds.
Have fun with this.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
The same people are afraid of faint brown. Sigh. Buy a CZ, those are white.
Some very experienced diamond owners here have said they enjoy the tints and unusual aspects of both mined and lab diamonds.
Have fun with this.

Thank you! very true and honestly I prefer imperfect diamonds, I wonder if the reason I’m on my fourth lab diamond is because I miss my very wonky imperfect mined diamond. One of these days I’ll buy another one of those but for now I’ll have fun with this project! Thank you for the reminder .., all of this is just supposed to be fun. I never look at my diamond that closely I just enjoy the sparkle from afar

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t quite understand why blue nuance would be an issue when so often people want to add fluoro to offset tint.
Won’t it balance out any tint and give you a whiter stone?
Hopefully it’s lovely when it turns up!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t quite understand why blue nuance would be an issue when so often people want to add fluoro to offset tint.
Won’t it balance out any tint and give you a whiter stone?
Hopefully it’s lovely when it turns up!

exactly !! That’s I guess my question/point…. I have no idea what the blue nuance does or looks like exactly… sure I’ve seen pics where it’s super obvious blue tint and I mean conceptually I understand it supposed to have this possible blue tint - it’s just on this board every time there was a blue nuance stone presented no one would buy it , and the experts always said to pass it up so I assumed it was something super terrible and horrible lol we have people in the know on here and experts …so I was just asking how “bad” is it actually since I bought it by mistake … but it doesn’t sound like it’s super terrible or anything. I’ll just have to see when it arrives. If I don’t really see a difference then I’ll do a setting with side stones and invest in an elaborate beautiful dream setting and if I do see a difference then I won’t bother to spend on the setting it will become solitaire lol

sunshineandlemons

Shiny_Rock
One thought- you could try to call and cancel the order before it ships - I did that with ritani successfully.
If not, it looks beautiful!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s safer to recommend diamonds without odd tints to avoid unnecessary returns. Blue/grey tints in HPHT and pink/brown tints in CVD cover a range of undertones and it matters a lot if you are color sensitive. People who purposefully seek out those tints don’t typically ask for advice on this board in any case, as they need to be seen in person for proper assessment.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
...the experts always said to pass it up so I assumed it was something super terrible and horrible lol we have people in the know on here and experts …

At the end of the day it isn't their stone or their money. It's easy to speak in hypotheticals and idealize... so enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry what anybody else thinks of it :) I'll keep wearing and loving my gray nuanced lab diamond :kiss2::kiss2:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One thought- you could try to call and cancel the order before it ships - I did that with ritani successfully.

I wonder this as well! It seems like you would be able to do something like this! I barely even understand blue nuance so I can’t help you there but it looks like you have some positive replies.

Inked

Brilliant_Rock

Great idea! I called and I shipped already … and it’s FedEx Saturday delivery going to my office because it was signature required and of course I’m not at my office on Saturday…. Guess i will see it Monday!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder this as well! It seems like you would be able to do something like this! I barely even understand blue nuance so I can’t help you there but it looks like you have some positive replies.

Unfortunately I was super busy at work and I saw this too late! It already shipped (today with Saturday delivery) like you said I got a lot of positive feedback so I am going just be excited about it because if I was really worried about it …. I’d be buying a “perfect” diamond from a store not rolling the dice online… I don’t care *that* much… it’s a fun hobby for me and lab diamonds make it very easy to play around.. and I’m honestly not that into detail I just love looking down and seeing it sparkle !!! so now I’m excited but the problem is I shipped it to my work because it’s signature required and now it’s a Saturday delivery lol the torturous wait continues!!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
At the end of the day it isn't their stone or their money. It's easy to speak in hypotheticals and idealize... so enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry what anybody else thinks of it :) I'll keep wearing and loving my gray nuanced lab diamond :kiss2::kiss2:

That is so incredibly true! And that’s the thing when people are asking for advice they are asking for that perfect ideal and that’s what the experts are giving them …. but I’m going to pretend this is a free diamond and I’m taking what I’m getting and I’ll be happy with it… I acted impulsively and from what I’m seeing on the video I really love it so hopefully I’ll love it in person…

Realistically my eyesight is not that great and I refuse to wear reading glasses and admit that I’m getting old soooo I think it’s gonna be fine

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s safer to recommend diamonds without odd tints to avoid unnecessary returns. Blue/grey tints in HPHT and pink/brown tints in CVD cover a range of undertones and it matters a lot if you are color sensitive. People who purposefully seek out those tints don’t typically ask for advice on this board in any case, as they need to be seen in person for proper assessment.

Very true !! if you take a chance on the stats there’s a chance you’re not going to want it and wind up returning it ….and in my case I can’t return it so it’s a risk nobody would take (including myself ! lol) however I am hoping that this turns out for the best because again in the video I don’t really see it, and I definitely see it in others, so maybe I wound up with a 4.2 carat diamond for half price

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I was super busy at work and I saw this too late! It already shipped (today with Saturday delivery) like you said I got a lot of positive feedback so I am going just be excited about it because if I was really worried about it …. I’d be buying a “perfect” diamond from a store not rolling the dice online… I don’t care *that* much… it’s a fun hobby for me and lab diamonds make it very easy to play around.. and I’m honestly not that into detail I just love looking down and seeing it sparkle !!! so now I’m excited but the problem is I shipped it to my work because it’s signature required and now it’s a Saturday delivery lol the torturous wait continues!!!

The anticipation! I'm hoping your enormous diamond (and I mean this as a good thing with much love) is beautiful, bright, shiny with just a hint of cool blue like glacier ice. Checking back tomorrow. :)

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you aren't color-sensitive, I doubt this small amount of blue nuance will be noticeable once set. Just enjoy the diamond and share lots of pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results