shape
carat
color
clarity

? on AGS and laser inscription (kinda urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m eastern too. And hitting the sack, too. Good night DS!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodnight, Gypsy!

Goodnight froufrou, wherever you are!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Anyone with a laser can write anything they want on the girdle. The purpose of the inscription is to make it easier to recognize the stone and the Stuller ID # is fine for this. This is part of the reason for the plotting diagram as well.

Setting the wrong stone is a fairly serious error on the part of the jeweler but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it means they are trying to steal from you. Get it appraised and show the appraiser the grading report. The jeweler might even be willing to reimburse you for the appraisal fee since the confusion is because of their mistake. Make sure to use an appraiser chosen by, and working for, you, not the jeweler.

If you really want the AGS # inscribed you can have it done in addition to the existing number. Most jewelers and appraisers can arrange for this service if you like.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
hi all,

sorry guys, i had gone to bed and figured i would see all the replies and reply in the morning. i guess i shouldve posted and said i was going to bed first! :)

thanks for everyones replies, im glad to know about the inscription not being part of something aGS has to do.

the reason we decided to buy from him in the first place...

originally, we were planning to just go look around some jewelry stores and then buy online, and we went to a couple and this guy was just very helpful at first. he called some stones in for us to our specifications and called us and we came in and spent a long time looking at them under the microscope and in settings and then called some settings for us in so we made him spend a lot of his time. he also wasn''t pushy about trying to sell us what we DIDNT want, whch is what the other people had done, so compared to every single other jeweler he was really cool.

so we felt like if we took all his help and then did not buy from him that would be crappy to take his services for free you know, so we figured that 3000 was not the "best" price we could get but a "fair enough" price. i have looked up this stone online obviously on blue nile etc and it is cheaper by a little. so the reason we were buying it in the first place was cause we liked him. as of right now we have put a $500 deposit on the ring. i do think he would probably give us back the deposit if we did back out though because of his flub. still i would feel bad to cancel the deal even though I think I want to now, i guess thats just me.

later on though there have been weird things like,

1., he had said on a Monday he would have 3 settings that i liked in for me to look at by the Wednesday and that he would call us if the setting did not come in but otherwise to come in on Wednesday. he did not call us and when we did come in on Weds he did not have any of them and told us he will call us as soon as they come in and it will probably be Thursday. he did not call thursday so i called him friday and he said "oh in fact i do have the settings i just hadn''t called you yet" which i thought was weird. we came in that day then and he started saying something about how even though we agreed on a price already, gold has suddenly become really expensive so he had to pay way more for that setting than before. so i thought he was going to try to make us pay more money but then he didnt. i thought that was really weird. anyway i didnt really believe that story because cmon its a very simple ring. plus he had only 2 of the rings in that i had asked, and of 1 of them the 1 was not even the actual one i had asked to look at but a similar one. it didnt matter though cause i decided i liked the tiffany style one the best anyway. (the other one was a cathedral style). the third one i asked to see he says the company, Carr, has gone out of business so he couldn''t get it.

2. then he was saying before that he could resize it (i wanted it resized up 1/2 a size from the standard 6 because i like my rings to be slightly looser). however when i told him that id like it resized when we finally did pick out the setting, he kept trying to convince me that the 6 is perfect on my finger and i dont need it resized. which i thought was stupid because i think i know how i like my ring and i hate the too tight feeling. when we saw it yesterday he had resized it a little bit though so it was okay.

3. then he did the thing where he set the wrong ring.

basically now we have driven there (only a 15 minute drive but still) about 3 more times than we needed to.

so all those things kept making me think i dont really want to buy from him anymore after all, except we did already agree and i would feel guilty saying i dont want it now, unless of course i do feel unsafe about the laser inscription matching the stuller but not the AGS report. which the experts have clarified is acceptable. i will be sure to look at the stuller cert first before I buy.

i almost have a feeling he will tell us the .72 G is more than the I because i feel like it definately should be. as far as I have read SI2 do not have any kind of danger of falling apart like the I1 and I2s do. if he tells us the price has changed because of the G we are definately going to back out and just buy online. i really hope that happens actually because now that i know what i want i have no problem buying online and then we COULD get a nicer stone for that price. also i think we''d back out if he didnt show us the stuller cert before we bought.

i think though those are the only reasons we''d back out..i would feel way too guilty otherwise since he has spent so much time.. even though he did mess up.

gypsy: we are in the midwest: indiana. I am not sure he was trying to unload it because he said he does not own any of these diamonds, he had them sent in from stuller for us to look at. (unless he did have one in the back that he actually owned, thats possible).

diamondseeker2006: thanks, i didnt actualy think about asking for the return policy, i think we will definately ask!!! i sort of thought you only had return policies with online vendors. we didnt really ask for the two prices, we picked one first and then he said he would sell either that or the I for the same price, 3000. he also said the I was better. we felt that the G was better because we like the color a lot more and by looking at prices on Bluenile we determined the G SHOULD in fact be the more valuable one. i looked at the G magnified and could see the inclusions but i couldnt see the inclusions with the naked eye so i have no problem with that. i wont buy unless he gives us the stuller cert up front, he was saying something how the stuller cert won''t come in until after he makes this sale which was weird to me.

glitterata: the G and I were both very eyeclean, at least as far as I could tell. i saw an SI3 where i could definately see the inclusion clearly, and the G and I SI2s did not have those kind of inclusions.

diamondexpert: THANKS so much for your input in this. :) both stones are from Stuller. If you are still there i have another question... if the jeweler buys from stuller, is he paying less than say, the bluenile price i would pay from online? he seemed really upset like he was no longer making any money from this deal so i was just wondering. i assume he wouldnt have agreed if he wasnt making any money though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
froufrou,

When you buy something from your local department store, can''t you take the item back as long as you have kep the tags and receipt? A jewerlry store is no different. In fact, it is more important that you know the jeweler''s return policy in the event you are not happy with the outside appraisal since it is such a large purchase.

I understand the feeling of feeling bad about not closing a deal when a person has invested time in helping you. I am looking at my second stone and probably will return it. I hate that people have spent that time helping me and then will not end up making the sale. But as others have told me, that is their JOB. It is our right and also a wise choice to shop to educate ourselves, compare stones, and to determine the best deal for our money on the best stone we can find!

Let me add that I have no allegiance to James Allen at all. I just saw that he had some nice stones that fit your specifications. Wouldn''t you rather have a G VS1 for the same money??? I know I would! Jim Schultz has been one of the best to reply to my emails in the past, too! If this your local jeweler had given you outstanding service, I might feel differently. But in my opinion, he has not earned your business.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this guy is exactly the reason i decided to buy online.
14.gif

even if you insist on buying from him, make sure you take your time and get exactly what you want. best of luck to you!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
ehhh, now i do want to back out of the deal cause i could get something better online and i dont really care for this jeweler anymore... i also looked at some mappings of SI2s online and the mapping of our G one has way more feathers than those appear to, even though they aren''t eye visible.

he is supposed to call us today to tell us that our stone came back in. if he doesn''t call (and normally he is bad about calling) i might try to convince my boyfriend for us to cancel the purchase. (my boyfriend is a lot more than i am about feeling guilty if he didnt buy from him now after saying he would; he felt even after the guy called in the stones for us to look at we couldn''t not buy from him...). gosh now i hope the jeweler makes another mistake so we can cancel :D

im so glad though that we caught the mis-setting though, it would''ve sucked to buy the stone i didnt want.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honey, explain to your man that getting diamonds in for people and helping them is the man''s job. He''s doing what he''s supposed to be doing. No more, no less from what I can tell. This is a big purchase and a very subjective one, you have to be able to trust your jeweler. If you''re not comfortable... that should weigh more heavily than a sense of obligation to a man just doing his job.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
yeahh i know, thanks gypsy. i used to work at the Gap and I never expected someone to buy a pair of jeans just cause i pulled their size from the rack for them or whatever...

i dont want to have a diamond im going to feel uneasy about now for the rest of my life either. :-/

the experts who responded though seem to think that was an honest mistake.

the weird thing is though, after we saw our diamond the first time, the second time we came in to look at settings, i am 100% sure that he brought out the G color one for me to compare with the other settings, it was in the little baggie with our deposit and the rest of the stuff about us.

so week 1, we pick the G color, week 2 we see the G color and put it next to some settings, week 3 the I color is set in the setting we chose.

i dont think we can back out now though, my boyfriend feels that we are obligated to buy since we signed...and i dont exactly want to get in a fight with him over this considering it is his money to begin with and he''s the one that signed the thing saying we would buy it and gave the deposit. all i do is admire how sparkly everything is, haha :) i think at the beginning my boyfriend was preferring to buy from a local jeweler too since we had never bought suhc a big purchase over the internet, but ever since this mess he agrees if he were to do it over we would buy online. except that we already shook hands with the jeweler on the deal and that is a big thing for my boyfriend to not go back on his word.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
He sounds untrustworthy to me. You do NOT need to wait for him to make another mistake so you can feel okay about canceling. Jewelers call in diamonds and settings for people all of the time. You are under no obligation to buy and should absolutely not feel guilty about telling him you changed your mind. Hell, after all that, it would feel good to tell him you are taking your business elsewhere! Tell him exactly why you don't want to buy from him. Be honest.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So your man gave his word. I can respect that. Mine is the same way.
12.gif

Which is why I am good at arguing around it.
11.gif

Here's my point of view. The jeweler gave his word too. The implication in the hand shake is that they are trusting one another. Once. Not twice. Jeweler-- who had the right diamond up until he was giving it to you (if he got them if especially for you, why did he still have the I at all? It should have been sent back) dropped the ball.

The handshake is cancelled. Contract is breeched. And this is why:

The trust was violated and there was no agreement in the original handshake about second chances. Now you are going to have to pay for an independant appraiser to look at this diamond before you buy it because of the dropped ball. That changes things for both parties... and you now have a new relationship and a new handshake offer. No one says you have to accept this handshake offer of restitution the jeweler is offering. Because, again, it's a NEW and DIFFERENT deal. He's asking you to trust him, again. Once he's already violated that trust.

Your man shouldn't feel bad because he's not breaking his word. The jeweler broke his word, and your man is just reacting to the breech of trust. Doesn't reflect badly on him.

Actually, if he keeps his side of the bargain when the other guy hasn't kept his... well, some might consider that naive and foolish idealism. Idealism for it's own sake is useless. Idealism tempered with practicality-- that's moral and smart.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
more news!

so he said he would call us today by 12 to say whether he got the new diamond in or not. it is now 1. i just checked the voicemail and there was a message so i got all worked up about it but it was not from him.

the new verdict from my boyfriend is...

we are going there tonight and if he doesn''t have the diamond we are just going to cancel. if he does have it i think we will just buy it under the stipulation that when the stuller cert comes in the numbers had better match or we get all our money back. i guess he cant get the stuller cert until we actually buy it cause thats when he will actually buy it from stuller? i do not know...hopefully an expert will reply back to my other post about why this is the weird case like this. id almost like to ask for a photocopy of the stuller cert first or something.

my boyfriend thinks the price is still okay for what we are getting and its not a bad price just not as good as online. the stupid thing is one of our reasons from buying local was so i could have a jeweler to go to for cleaning it or replating etc but now i wouldnt really feel secure taking it back to him.

im crossing my fingers that he doesn''t have it, lol :) then you guys can all help me find a way better diamond online!!!!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks gypsy...haha, i want badly to cancel the handshake :)

the more i think about it the more i think the jeweler did this accident semi on purpose, especially since i think he showed us the G again with the old settings. maybe i am wrong about that though...i think i can tell between G and I...

oh well, i like the diamond and if it matches the stuller cert it will be fine. i just now wish i couldve researched online and found something better :) the thing was earlier when i was looking online I thought our budget for a ring was 1,500-2,000 and not 3,000...and there were a lot of compromises to make then for size, color, and clarity and cut...now that the budget is 3000 it is a lot easier to find an even nicer diamond... (by the way i have no idea why the budget went up that much, i think my boyfriend did some research on diamonds after saying the old price without telling me and decided he needed to get me a better ring than his brother got his girlfriend, haha, that is just a guess)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 1:18:17 PM
Author: froufrou
thanks gypsy...haha, i want badly to cancel the handshake :)

Okay love, here''s the beauty of it. You DO NOT have to cancel the handshake. The jeweler already cancelled it when he set the wrong stone in your setting. That''s what I was trying to say (verbose, wasn''t I) earlier.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
hahaha
unfortunately they shook hands again after the mixup and he said he wouldnt mixup again... :D

we''ll see how this turns out. i think i wont argue with my boyfriend about cancelling it because i dont want any bad feelings between the two of us regarding the engagement ring, i want only to have nice happy memories of it for both of us.

so i will sit back and see if the jeweler cancels the handshake again.... :D

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
While you want to have all the Stuller paperwork check out, it''s more important that the AGS DQD is for, and accurately describes, the stone you are purchasing...that''s where an independent appraiser would be of value...however, the seller should also be able to demonstrate this to your satisfaction.

You need to feel comfortable with getting an accurately represented stone/ring at a competitive price.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
The way I look at this is, you''re going to have this diamond and rind for the rest of your life. If you are not 100% committed to the customer service and the diamond, you should back out. You don''t "owe" this jeweler anything. There are many customer service red flags here, I think you are well justified in backing out and insisting on a return of your deposit.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks DiamondExpert. do you know if it is reasonable that he cannot provide us with the Stuller documentation until some time after we purchase the diamond??

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
It''s not unusual to receive the orignal documents for stones obtained on memo until after payment is made (payment to the supplier by the vendor).

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks, DiamondExpert. That makes sense to me.

the new update is the jeweler called like he said he would but he does not have that diamond in today because it is "in circulation". He said he can possibly get it for tomorrow and meanwhile has a "better" diamond in store which is almost identical to the one we wanted and he wants us to call him now. hmm..i wonder what this "better" diamond looks like, haha.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 2:38:44 PM
Author: froufrou
thanks, DiamondExpert. That makes sense to me.

the new update is the jeweler called like he said he would but he does not have that diamond in today because it is ''in circulation''. He said he can possibly get it for tomorrow and meanwhile has a ''better'' diamond in store which is almost identical to the one we wanted and he wants us to call him now. hmm..i wonder what this ''better'' diamond looks like, haha.
That''s it. Time to back out, get your deposit back, and go elsewhere where you will get a better diamond for the price and better customer service to boot. You are getting the runaround here, dear.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. Honey, I know you don't want to make a fuss here-- but really this is CLEARLY not okay. Either that diamond is sold, set and gone-- and he doesn't want to tell you or he's been trying to swindle you this whole time-- telling you that he has something better in... that's a classic flag. In ciculation my aunt Frannie's arse! That diamond is SOLD. To you. That should be it. And after trying to fob off the other one on you that man should be trying to kiss your feet... not show you something else and waste your time. If you guys don't cut your losses and look elsewhere now-- you just asking for this man to take advantage of you. And that's all there is to it.

We're talking sheer stupidity if you have anything further to do with him.

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
RAAAH! okay i think we are decided, we are going to go and ask for our deposit back later today. hopefully that diamond does not magically appear this afternoon in his store so i can start looking for something else.

time to look for a new and better diamond.... ;-)

so...where do i look? :)

we are thinking of getting the setting from him cause i like it, so im wondering if i can send it to whomever i buy the diamond from to have it set. bluenile won''t set a diamond in a setting that is not their own, i just called to see. im wondering if i trust this guy to set this diamond in that setting once i get it in...probably not so much.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would check out Whiteflash and Good Old Gold. They will let you see the diamond in person, before you decide to purchase. You had mentioned earlier that it was important to you to see the diamond for yourself. Bluenile will not send the diamond out for you to see prior to purchase.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-678003.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358911.htm

Here are two recommendations. Both are the same mm size. I think WF will give you a percentage off for being a WF member. Both have nice numbers (I think, although I am NOT a numbers expert with rounds) and are colorless. I would call and ask if they are eye clean. And I believe WF will let you put the diamond on a card and mail it out to you to see before setting it. Plus they have some nice simple affordable settings.

4 prong tiffany style: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong--Tiffany--Style---14k-Gold_609.htm

6 prong tiffany style: http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/6-Prong--Tiffany--Style---14k-Gold_687.htm

DimendScaasi has a couple too... and I believe they are located in chicago or somewhere close to you.

This one costs more: But is bigger in MM size and lovely.
http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?stockNum=197307

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?stockNum=96-1848 This is similar to the WF ones and costs less-- but I would call about eye clean and inclusion plotting, couldn't see it on the cert.

http://www.dimendscaasi.com/diamonds/diamondDetail.asp?stockNum=96-1836

Didn't check the cert on these... and frankly didn't look to close at the numbers... but you can do that. Of couse the setting prices for tiffany gold settings on Scaasi are CRAZY HIGH in my opinion... and if your in Illinios you'd have to pay sales tax... so perhaps that wasn't the best rec....
38.gif

Call WF. Seems like they have two lovely diamonds just waiting... with tiffany style setting there and all... plus no sales tax ( I think
33.gif
).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t waste too much time if you are considering WhiteFlash. They are expecting a price increase VERY soon (as in any day in the next week), which puts a heck of a lot of pressure on ME!!!

Froufrou, trust me on this. You do NOT want that jeweler to set your new diamond!!! Please have the vendor you buy the diamond from set it. Then it is covered for any damage that might occur in the setting process. Not to mention the obvious risks with what has already happened with this jeweler.

(I think a handshake is nice. My husband is certainly honest and has integrity. But that in no way voids a law that allows the return of a product purchased. I''m glad your BF has come around on this.)

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
thanks all!!!
well, we went and backed out of the deal. :D we got the deposit back.
we will definately not have him set the diamond either. we did just end up buying the setting from him though, since i absolutely know i like it, we bought it from him for $200 which is less than i saw it online for and because we didnt want him to have wasted all his time for nothing so now we dont feel too guilty about cancelling either.

i am feeling 100 times better now :):):)

thanks for everyones advice.

i think I will be looking for an F color SI1/SI2 in .78 or so in Ideal cut, i dont care if it is AGS ideal like the other one was though, GIA ideal seems great to me too. i called bluenile and they will look at it and let me know if it is "eyeclean" before I buy.. but i will look other places too of course, it just seems like bluenile has some good deals, plus a 30 day return policy.

now im wondering how i would have it set, bluenile wont set in not their own setting so i wonder if theres any kind of insurance for getting it set if i get it set by a different jeweler in town. how much should it cost to set it? the prongs are already nicked and ready for a diamond. one that held a .72 would be able to hold a .78 or .8 right??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would go look at WF instead of Blue nile-- prices are better and you get more information. And Frou... compare MM size not carat size when your looking at the diamonds. Good luck. Plus, I am fairly sure WF will get your diamond in your new setting for you without any problems. The two I posted are great GREAT stones.... and you get a 10% PS discount.

But whatever you decide. Good luck.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
FrouFrou, very relieved to hear that you have backed out. I second the recommendation that you look at WF or GOG rather than BlueNile. I have bought diamonds from WF and they are very beautiful. Plus, you are getting more information on the diamonds up front. Please let the experts help you pick a gorgeous diamond. I haven''t bought any diamonds from GOG, but I''ve drooled over the website for years, and have heard nothing but wonderful things about them. I don''t think you can make a mistake with either one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results