shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Nuts... Have you switched from RB to Old Stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm looking at simple solitaires! I've always loved the Vatche RC style. Thinking rose gold.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love rose gold. Great choice!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337543941|3199834 said:
I'm looking at simple solitaires! I've always loved the Vatche RC style. Thinking rose gold.

I love that setting as well -- and especially in the RG if your stone is an M/N - it will be BEAUTIFUL, Mara!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337543941|3199834 said:
Oh, yum. I cannot wait to see this ring!

poppyseed

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have worn my RB less and less but I still love it, just love my OEC more. Just got an upgrade and I hope to set it very soon!

OEC%202.jpg

I just upgraded to a 1.79ct VS2 L color OEC. I'm setting it in a platinum Vatche RC style ring with surprise diamonds :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I love the RC, too! :love: :love: In fact, my H Levi setting is similar to it (sorry first pic is blurry):

New Rings 028.jpg

New Rings 029.jpg

poppyseed

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is stunning DiamondSeeker!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
poppyseed|1337560120|3199960 said:

Thank you! I actually changed settings later and am selling this one. But it is 18k wg.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi:

Is this circa....whenever Mara (and Alj) would start those discussions that lasted 10 pages??? Gawd I've missed those threads/days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Once again I am late to the game...but then again, I believe these kinds of questions are rhetorical........

:love: :tongue:

So Mara, whatja get?????

cheers--Sharon

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara|1337400779|3198955 said:
Jon...no worries..you know better than most that I appreciate a spirited convo!!

Absolutely hun. I didn't think you'd take offense to anything I had written. I miss our spirited conversations. IMO they were some of the best times in the history of this forum. ::)

The pic of the one you're considering looks nice. Of course the Gman in me is curious to see an ASET of course. :rodent: If you move forward with it I suggest having it checked for surface breaching inclusions and if the girdle has not be refinished you may want to consider having an actual girdle polished on the diamond to prevent further chipping/breakage. Good luck to you on this endeavor and thanks for keeping us all posted. And thank you alj for your illustrations. I get the whole "not a genuine antique" thing. I knew that going into it. It's the tinkerer in me that seeks to take something and do what I can to make it better. :saint:

All the best,
Jonathan

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: girdle polishing - I was just consulting an antique dealer about getting my girdle polished, and she was vociferously against it. She said that the bruted girdles (assuming they were kept clean) were actually a contributing factor in the way that old cuts seem to face up whiter than their grades. I take it this is debatable?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Circe|1337615846|3200234 said:
Re: girdle polishing - I was just consulting an antique dealer about getting my girdle polished, and she was vociferously against it. She said that the bruted girdles (assuming they were kept clean) were actually a contributing factor in the way that old cuts seem to face up whiter than their grades. I take it this is debatable?

Hi Circe,

Allow me to clarify. Many OEC and OMB diamonds (and I'm talking original McCoy's) had no girdle whatsoever. They were mostly knife edge. As a result many of these diamonds have been chipped through normal wear. Some minor and some major. When we purchase, trade or help people with these cuts we have seen OEC/OMB with chips as minor as just extending onto the upper/lower halves to extending all the way from girdle to culet (on the pavilion) or even almost extending to the table (on the crown).

In those instances where it is minor chipping around the girdle I recommend repolishing the diamond to

a. remove the abrasions on the facet junctions
b. remove the chips around the girdle
c. polish a sufficient girdle thickness on the diamond that will help it stand normal wear and tear among other things

Not polishing a girdle on a knife edge OEC/OMB is, IMO ludicrous as you're asking for trouble. Continue to wear it and it'll chip all over again. To me, that isn't even a debate.

OTOH if your diamond already has a bruted girdle it really isn't necessary to make the girdle faceted. That is personal preference. Older diamonds mostly did have bruted girdles and we even see them on modern rb's too. I wouldn't be vociferously against it. I'd leave it to my clients preference personally. If they liked it & wanted it, it is inexpensive to do.

Kind regards,
Rhino

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great post Jon. I agree with everything you said, and learned more to boot!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ahahaha! Ditto to Gypsy - thanks, Jon!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm on the fence as to repolishing as the stone is 2.51c and I don't want a repolish to bring it under 2.5c in case of future resale...so it's a tough call. It has a very tiny little chip on an edge that I can prong, and it's got some wear along the girdle but nothing too bad, it's also a thin-medium so not as knife edge as some of the OEC's I've seen. We'll see.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337565112|3199997 said:

Thank you! I actually changed settings later and am selling this one. But it is 18k wg.

I love that setting. everything I want except my little 1ct center doesn't fit in it :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara|1337650975|3200621 said:
I'm on the fence as to repolishing as the stone is 2.51c and I don't want a repolish to bring it under 2.5c in case of future resale...so it's a tough call. It has a very tiny little chip on an edge that I can prong, and it's got some wear along the girdle but nothing too bad, it's also a thin-medium so not as knife edge as some of the OEC's I've seen. We'll see.

Mara, it is interesting you wrote this because in the last few days one of the appraisers told us on another thread that the half carat mark doesn't really matter once you are over 2 cts. So there would be minimal price difference between a 2.48 and a 2.51, for example. The big jump will be at 3 carats.

If it were mine, I'd definitely do the girdle rehab unless I planned to set it in a bezel. The tiny chip is a possible indicator that there was at least one very thin spot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minmin001|1337651021|3200623 said:
diamondseeker2006|1337565112|3199997 said:

I love that setting. everything I want except my little 1ct center doesn't fit in it :nono:

Aww, thanks! I wish it could work, too!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337651440|3200631 said:
Mara|1337650975|3200621 said:

Mara, it is interesting you wrote this because in the last few days one of the appraisers told us on another thread that the half carat mark doesn't really matter once you are over 2 cts. So there would be minimal price difference between a 2.48 and a 2.51, for example. The big jump will be at 3 carats.

If it were mine, I'd definitely do the girdle rehab unless I planned to set it in a bezel. The tiny chip is a possible indicator that there was at least one very thin spot.

That's interesting DS... I didn't realize that. I'll have to ask and see what they say. I normally would lean towards not repolishing, but we'll see.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara FWIW David from DBL said the same thing about over the 2 carat mark. I've had a stone repolished and had a girdle put on it from BGD and it was TOTALLY bombastically worth it. I lost only a point in weight (1.26 to 1.25), got a chip removed, had the polish go from poor to very good and went from an SI2 to a VS. The jump in clarity without that chip, plus a boost in polish would probably make up for any weight loss at all. Plus the fire increased OMG so much as a result of the polish boost.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1337654929|3200667 said:
Mara FWIW David from DBL said the same thing about over the 2 carat mark. I've had a stone repolished and had a girdle put on it from BGD and it was TOTALLY bombastically worth it. I lost only a point in weight (1.26 to 1.25), got a chip removed, had the polish go from poor to very good and went from an SI2 to a VS. The jump in clarity without that chip, plus a boost in polish would probably make up for any weight loss at all. Plus the fire increased OMG so much as a result of the polish boost.

That is outstanding, Gypsy! A great reference for diamond rehab! :appl:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
...two more contenders to add into the ring...! the left stone to me is more classic OEC patterning with a bit of the head obstruction in the center area in certain lights, but very fat classic. the right stone is a bit more cushiony looking in terms of sparkle, very bright. the inclusions are not visible to me in 'regular' viewing but i'm also a notorious fan of SI stones because i can't see crap in general...i just like sparkle. hopefully i'll be making a decision in the next few days!!

oh and for anyone who missed it, i sold my 2.32RB so something's going to happen one way or another lol!

(eta: note to self to clean windowsills!)

OECs-1-11.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
one more...! i love them both. :love:

OECs-1-12.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one on the right is bigger :halo:

And now that I see the second photo I really love the cushiony one! Of course, nothing compares to seeing them in person.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cushiony is my fave so far. And not just because it's bigger. :naughty: I'm really a very symmetrical round person in general but something about cushiony just catches your eye. I told my gf today when they are together you can't help but look at it. I prefer round in general but I dunno, this other one is somehow more interesting. But man they are both lovely. The first one is still in the running too. Decisions.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy. Wow. Hard decision. It's like trying to choose between Ben and Jerry's-- all kinds of amazing combos of flavors and Hagen Daaz, classic flavors done outstandingly.

Can you post a video of both of them side by side (and not one of those 1 second wonder videos that end just as your eyes start to focus).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1337656432|3200680 said:
Gypsy|1337654929|3200667 said:

That is outstanding, Gypsy! A great reference for diamond rehab! :appl:

Thanks DS. That was the second stone I had rehabbed. The first was a small stone 5.1mm that I got for a song on ebay then when the prongs were removed-- HUGE chip on the crown facets. That one lost a few points, but no spread at all, and was a ton sparkier afterward as well. It's like rehabbing an old car, giving it a new paint job to take away that dull worn finish, or taking out dings in the body, or replacing trashed upholstery.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337837155|3202366 said:
The cushiony is my fave so far. And not just because it's bigger. :naughty: I'm really a very symmetrical round person in general but something about cushiony just catches your eye. I told my gf today when they are together you can't help but look at it. I prefer round in general but I dunno, this other one is somehow more interesting. But man they are both lovely. The first one is still in the running too. Decisions.

I am now a big fan of cushiony OECs since owning a couple. Can you post a profile shot? WOuld love to see the crown heights and tables.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'll be the odd one out - the smaller stone makes me go :love: I love the BIG, happy looking facets. The cushion's facets look a bit sharp (?) to me. Still a pretty stone, no doubt, but the other one looks bubbly and cheerful. :bigsmile:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for the sale! I know it is a lot easier to shop with that done...
Here's my order...I like the first diamond you posted a couple of pages ago, then this "smaller" round if you are looking at setting it like a symmetrical round. But if you are going to play up the cushiony shape, and set it in a setting that accentuates the more elongated shape, I think I would lean more towards it. That cushiony shape in a good old cut seems so unusual these days. Aren't I a help? :lol: Sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable and luckily have all of these diamonds in house so you can see them in person. The deciding factor would be the setting (for me), because they are all gorgeous!

What are the carat weights? The smaller one you have may be a whopping 3c and the other more?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results