shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Nuts... Have you switched from RB to Old Stone?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337969664|3203694 said:
Circe|1337967445|3203673 said:
Mara|1337963045|3203613 said:
and here's a mediocre iPhone photo with all 3 stones together yesterday, my other camera died during the chaotic video taking earlier so this is really the only pic I got.

Dude! What is your light source on this one? They almost look like YAG, they're so bright! Gorgeous photograph.

ETA: Another fan of the cushion-y 3.3 here ....

What's YAG?

I was at a local shop ...they have crazy jeweler lighting lol. Makes everything look yellow.

So the general consensus is... Go big or go home... got it. :rodent:

Actually, it's bring all three the next time I see you. And I'll go home...with all three pilfered stones! :bigsmile:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1337969933|3203701 said:
Mara|1337969664|3203694 said:
Circe|1337967445|3203673 said:
Mara|1337963045|3203613 said:
and here's a mediocre iPhone photo with all 3 stones together yesterday, my other camera died during the chaotic video taking earlier so this is really the only pic I got.

Dude! What is your light source on this one? They almost look like YAG, they're so bright! Gorgeous photograph.

ETA: Another fan of the cushion-y 3.3 here ....

What's YAG?

I was at a local shop ...they have crazy jeweler lighting lol. Makes everything look yellow.

So the general consensus is... Go big or go home... got it. :rodent:

Actually, it's bring all three the next time I see you. And I'll go home...with all three pilfered stones! :bigsmile:

LOL well if I stick with ole cushiony, she'll definitely be coming with!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will she be set to wear? Can I wear her? :tongue: Kidding...I no longer have spare hands!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1337970374|3203707 said:
Will she be set to wear? Can I wear her? :tongue: Kidding...I no longer have spare hands!!

Nooo unfortunately not, she'll still be a free agent. I do have one of those stone holders that you can wear as a ring though, I admit to wearing it around the house.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337974555|3203752 said:
TravelingGal|1337970374|3203707 said:

Nooo unfortunately not, she'll still be a free agent. I do have one of those stone holders that you can wear as a ring though, I admit to wearing it around the house.

Get a temp! Can't wait to see!!!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just buy all three of 'em so you can have one HUGE 3 stone ring, haha! Could you even imagine?!! :lol: :-o

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1337975820|3203783 said:
Just buy all three of 'em so you can have one HUGE 3 stone ring, haha! Could you even imagine?!! :lol: :-o

That might be too much, even for Mara. Maybe.

DominaMusica

Rough_Rock
Oh my goodness, those three stones are STUNNING!! I would have a terrible time choosing. They are so beautiful!

I have been following these posts very avidly- I'm kind of new to PS, but I, too, desperately wish to sell my 1.7 H MRB so that I can get the antique stone/ring that my heart has always longed for. I'm having NO luck in Dallas. Can you give a novice any tips? I'll have to use the money from the MRB to purchase its replacement.

I love all the pictures you are posting! They are gorgeous, I can at least admire all of your stones while I am learning what to do, if anything.
All the information in very interesting!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Laila...well I do admit to thinking last nite...Gee I do have this 6mm that I listed on DB..and I have a 9.5mm . Just one more 6mm (and I know where to get one lol) and I'd have a 3 stone that would rival this CRAZY one I tried on at Fourtane...! It had a 3c center and I think 1.5c sides, lol. This wouldn't be QUITE the same but sooo very close. OMG. I am laughing just thinking about it. I'll save that for a future project, like when I am older and wiser and can maybe carry off almost 6c of diamonds on my finger. Maybe.

Domina...have you tried listing your diamond on DB? Or if you find an old cut vendor you want to work with, sometimes they may be interested in your stone in a trade. I had two trade offers on the table for my 2.32RB, but in the end figured I'd see if a PS'er wanted it and it would also give me more leeway to work with whomever because I'd have cash vs dealing with hassling on a trade (which gives you a little less leverage because then the dealer has to move your diamond). Anyway, I was surprised that my diamond sold as quickly as it did (within 2 hours!), but I guess I priced it right ($6k under comps) and a PS'er is getting it which is what my heart really wanted the whole time...passing on the PS diamond love. :naughty:

TG I am looking into a temp!! But the setting I'm getting is only about $800 so I'm thinking gee does it make sense to get a $400 temp ? But I have to wait 3-5w for the setting to be done so yeah MAYBE it does. lol.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
..and I don't want to post a ton of pics in here cuz it's not SMTB but I did a mini photo shoot yesterday with cushiony and here's one of the final pics. I kinda maybe am really in love with her. :love:

9point5mmOEC-1-3.jpg

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, was writing this at the same time as Mara:
DomincaMusica, I am in Dallas too. Where are you striking out? Finding a stone or selling yours? I ask because I recently tried to sell a diamond to a "antique jeweler" and he offered me pennies and only a credit if I spent double in his store. :tongue: If the problem is selling you may be better off selling on diamondbistro and listing on the preloved forum here, ebaying it, or consigning it with a vendor. There are alot of good ones recommended on PS.

I would also start your own thread on RockyTalky about what you have and what you want. The more experienced PSers on here can give you some more technical guidance.

And...HOLY CRAP MARA! So glad you went with this one. I wish I could take these kind of pics... :shock:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you decided eh? :appl: :love:

Domina, I'll go a step further and say that I do think Mara had an easier time selling because she is a long time member here and many long timers here are "familiar" with her stone. There is pic after pic of it in the archives, and anyone who knows Mara knows that she is pretty picky when it comes to selecting a rock. So her reputation, rock, and very good pricing helped move it. It also depends who you sell to: If it's a first time engager, it's a bit longer of a sale as they are learning about stones and can be hesitant. If it's a PSer who knows what they are looking at, then it can be a quick sale. Plus of course, you need a cert.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, did you mention what color she was? I can't remember...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well having spent a little quality time now with my 3 stone vs my e ring, I really understand the fascination with old cuts.

My ex/ex and my ACA Js are beautiful. Perfect, in fact. If you compare them to women, they are models. Perfect proportions. Perfect in everything they do, always. They're fun to look at because there's nothing wrong with them, and there's fascination in that.

My old cut is like an Edwardian woman who has come through time to be with me. She's rubenesque. Soft. Full. And a little mysterious. Part of the interest is that I wonder what she knows, wonder what her history is and what she's seen. She keeps me guessing because I never quite know how she is going to behave. Sometimes she dazzles, and sometimes she's a bit more withdrawn, and I wonder what makes her the way she is.

It is precisely (for me) the HISTORY of these stones that makes the imperfections forgivable and fascinating. I've been there and done that on perfect. Perfect isn't as interesting to me anymore. I would have never guessed that I would, as a PSer, be happy with a stone with leakage and inconsistencies. But as any person who's been around the block will tell you - after a while you don't go for looks. Personality is a bigger factor in who you choose to get to know. This is why I am having so much fun with my ring, and why I'll continue to be fascinated by old cuts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, completely TG!! Your analogy is spot on for me.

The biggie stone is a K color, EGL USA graded, so most likely more like L/M. It's definitely got a little warmth but doesn't bug me. My 1.5c OEC is a J and it def looks a little whiter, but my skin tone can handle warmth. I plan to set it in a rose gold solitaire with a white gold head.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: so glad that cushiony is the winner--and OMG the thought of a 3-stone with that in the center and 6mm on the sides :love: :cheeky: :-o :Up_to_something: :twirl: :devil: :lickout: Something tells me that in a few years that could be a real possibility for you... ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1338053649|3204330 said:
..and I don't want to post a ton of pics in here cuz it's not SMTB but I did a mini photo shoot yesterday with cushiony and here's one of the final pics. I kinda maybe am really in love with her. :love:

Amazing! And 9.5mm, really, what more do you want?

The faceting reminds me a lot of two of my OECs. It looks more splinerery than you *can* see, but clearly chunkster in photos and the video. In that size, as well, I am sure she is a bold one. Love it. Did you compare her to your MRB before you shipped her off?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1338148835|3204767 said:
Well having spent a little quality time now with my 3 stone vs my e ring, I really understand the fascination with old cuts.

My ex/ex and my ACA Js are beautiful. Perfect, in fact. If you compare them to women, they are models. Perfect proportions. Perfect in everything they do, always. They're fun to look at because there's nothing wrong with them, and there's fascination in that.

My old cut is like an Edwardian woman who has come through time to be with me. She's rubenesque. Soft. Full. And a little mysterious. Part of the interest is that I wonder what she knows, wonder what her history is and what she's seen. She keeps me guessing because I never quite know how she is going to behave. Sometimes she dazzles, and sometimes she's a bit more withdrawn, and I wonder what makes her the way she is.

It is precisely (for me) the HISTORY of these stones that makes the imperfections forgivable and fascinating. I've been there and done that on perfect. Perfect isn't as interesting to me anymore. I would have never guessed that I would, as a PSer, be happy with a stone with leakage and inconsistencies. But as any person who's been around the block will tell you - after a while you don't go for looks. Personality is a bigger factor in who you choose to get to know. This is why I am having so much fun with my ring, and why I'll continue to be fascinated by old cuts.

Poetry tGal. I am stealing some for my tag line :sun:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1337962502|3203594 said:
Took this pic yesterday with iPhone+olloclip, love that thing. This is cushiony, such a crisp little girl.
Pretty damn cool little gizmo for iPhone isn't it!!??

Anyway...that's a hell of a stone, that Cushiony. If you made this into a 3 stone....you could never need another ring again, DSS? what dss.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1338148835|3204767 said:

But as any person who's been around the block will tell you - after a while you don't go for looks. Personality is a bigger factor in who you choose to get to know.

TGal --- no words were truer spoken! You are GIFTED... you have humbled us with your description of OECs/OMCs... the beauty of the ages and 'what's inside that counts', is so well put with your post.

I love how you described your ring and her 3 stones - they are all beautiful women who are such individuals.

Man, that was AWESOME!!! You rock Tgal!!!!! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara your olloclip photos were AWESOME! I am not skilled enough in the ways of OEC's but my eyes tell me - go for the 3ct! Seems like you have fallen for "her" too! (I think OEC/OMC diamonds are now going to be considered female from now on, as per TravellingGal's eloquent post above!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol enerchi. Your enthusiasm always gives me a chuckle (in a good way.) ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1338150586|3204775 said:
Yup, completely TG!! Your analogy is spot on for me.

The biggie stone is a K color, EGL USA graded, so most likely more like L/M. It's definitely got a little warmth but doesn't bug me. My 1.5c OEC is a J and it def looks a little whiter, but my skin tone can handle warmth. I plan to set it in a rose gold solitaire with a white gold head.
:love:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you went with the cushiony one! And the new setting is going to be just a showstopper!! :love: :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL, I just told TGuy:

Me: You should see this new stone Mara is getting...it's almost 10 mm!

Him: 10mm? You mean it's a CENTIMETER? That's huge!!!

LOL, we're in a whole new world when we can measure your ring by cm, Mara...hahaha. Leave it to a metric man to put things in perspective....

Edited for spelling... :rolleyes:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1338160594|3204835 said:
LOL, I just told TGuy:

LOL, we're in a whole new world when we can measure your ring by cm, Mara...hahaha. Leave it to a metric man to put things in perspective....

:lol: Careful or else he may not let you hang out with me anymore! LOL.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara|1338171102|3204892 said:
TravelingGal|1338160594|3204835 said:
LOL, I just told TGuy:

:lol: Careful or else he may not let you hang out with me anymore! LOL.

He already thinks PSers are nuts. :rodent:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
...for anyone following the saga... I posted my ring in SMTB. :appl:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Newly converted... it just takes one..

IMG_1660.JPG

InnaR

Shiny_Rock
With all the recent hype about old cuts beauties, I felt bad that I don't give enough attention to my modern rounds.
I pulled out my Whiteflash 1.81 D SI Expert Selection round brilliant and proudly wear it today! I remembered why I loved it so much. The thin arrows and splintery flashes of white and colored lights, can look very refreshing after big pastel and colored flashes of old cuts. :twirl:
I think I found a perfect formula: high colors in modern cuts - low colors in old cuts.
I'm not a full convert, I like swinging back and forth. :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results