shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Nuts... Have you switched from RB to Old Stone?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Has anyone switched from a RB to an old cut as your 'primary' stone?

If so, how long has it been? Do you feel as though you wish you hadn't?

The obvious Q here....why am I asking? Well I have a fairly large H&A RB that I used to love but it doesn't make my heart sing anymore. It's a stunning stone, but I don't really appreciate it, so I'm considering moving to a large older stone which might also be able to get me more size, and I'm a size whore.

Just wondering if anyone who has done this and no longer has their RB anymore, if they regret it and/or wish they hadn't. I could mull it over for let's say another year or two but then there might be a missed opportunity.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just recently did this very thing. I had a 2.73 N RB and recently let it go for my 3.09 M OEC. Very glad I did it, no regrets at all.

Don't get me wrong, the RB was a beautiful diamond but I just couldn't get over wanting an OEC. I LOVE it.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since diamond prices have increased so much have you considered seeing what GOG would give you for the stone for trade in? That way you could get either an AV (best of both worlds-old world faceting with ideal light performance) or they also have estate diamonds they get in from time to time. I had a AVC and after that ended wound up with an older cut RB (not quite ideal-excellent cut though). I miss the chunky facets but I've learned to appreicate the diamond for what it is. Although there are MANY days I want to cash in the diamond for the $ and get something smaller (mine is 1.64) with chunky facets (or have it recut into an AVR...which I very well may do some day when funds allow).

A recut could also be a potential option for your stone but since it's already ideal and it would lose weight it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for you. Nothing wrong with having your tastes change-the only thing I recommend is using a vendor like GOG with an upgrade policy just in case you want to go back to it at some point. But I have a feeling if you end up with an AVR you won't go back ::)

They don't have a whole lot in the larger sizes in AVR but here is one that looks nice (can't recall what your current RB is though)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9158/

Or you can just go crazy for size and get this with some tapered lower colored french cuts that GOG now carriers :mrgreen:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8140

OR this one is much cheaper at 18kish and it looks nice but no upgrade policy :(
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8716

JBEG has a 2 carat tranny for 14k
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/204ct-Loose-Old-European-Cut/22221795_h3C6D7#!i=1829525909&k=TRK439h

A 2.5 carat light yellow OEC for 14k
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/252ct-Light-Yellow-Old/22257186_K48CK8#!i=1778101524&k=vjnCgnR

This one is N color for just over 13k 2.5 carats
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/257ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/22551067_sN99jb#!i=1804688626&k=BWLFnRZ

Higher color/clarity L VS for 18k
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/260ct-Old-European-Cut-OEC/21994229_p3XQkm#!i=1754543991&k=ckQGF9x

Or another 4 carat OEC for 30k N VS
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/409ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/22824704_DZDjh5#!i=1831681931&k=4b3H7cs

So at least you have lots of options in various colors/clarity and sizes!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would a bigger round brilliant make you happy Mara, or is it definitely an older cut you want? I know you recently bought a beautiful ring with an OEC (?) as the centre stone.

Has this made you realise that you love older cuts more or is it a realisation that they are less expensive than buying a 3ct+ ACA or similar and you could achieve a bigger diamond by selling yours?

I'm all for size though, and I wouldn't turn any cut of huge rock away :))

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Checking to see if hell has frozen over or monkeys are flying! :tongue: :shock: What have you done w/ our Mara!!????

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol deco whatever do you mean??? I'm talking about trading up for SIZE here, that's the same ole me right??

So yeah I did get an OEC this year, a 1.5c and it's stunning, I love it, it's a borderline transitional.

And yes I have always wanted a larger stone than my 2.32 as everyone knows...and I've realized that old cuts can definitely afford me more bang for the buck in terms of size.

But it's not just that, since I have definitely been firmly on the 'great cut is king' bandwagon for many years now as you all know. But there's just something a little...shall I say ...boring about H&A's to me right now? They are all quite similar. You put them all under an IS and they all perform really similarly. Not SPOT ON exact or anything but really close. That splintery, shardy look just doesn't make my heart go pitter-patter anymore. Trust me it is like a death in the family almost to realize this.

My 2.32 has a special spot in my heart, it is hands down one of the best looking RB's I have ever seen and I've seen a lot of ideal cut stones. There's just something about it. It makes me really hesitant to give it up. And yes prices have increased since I bought it, so I'm hesitant about being priced out of the market should I ever return to wanting a beautifully cut H&A RB.

On the flip side, I've turned into quite the bargain hunter and I know you can get fantastic deals on well cut RB's and old cut stones if you just bide a little time. So that is appealing to me too, finding a giant older cut stone where I'm not really 'sacrificing' cut quality, but going for something that is more pleasing to my eye.

Anyway, I waffle all over. But just was curious for those who DID exactly what I'm considering like BI... are you happy with your decision or do you wish you hadn't done it. Because it just ain't in the cards for me to have 2 giant stones in the picture long-term... we aren't made of money.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
vintagelover229|1337207339|3196826 said:
Nothing wrong with having your tastes change-the only thing I recommend is using a vendor like GOG with an upgrade policy just in case you want to go back to it at some point.

Haha, I think Mara might be a *tad* familiar with upgrade policies? :bigsmile: ;))

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1337209465|3196866 said:
Nothing wrong with having your tastes change-the only thing I recommend is using a vendor like GOG with an upgrade policy just in case you want to go back to it at some point.

Haha, I think Mara might be a *tad* familiar with upgrade policies? :bigsmile: ;))

LOL yep, I've upgraded a few times.

vintagelover... I actually don't appreciate AVR's at all. I don't quite understand why one would want a perfectly cut stone that looks like an old stone... but really isn't. I know some just love them, there is a market for them, but I definitely would want a vintage stone...I already have ... it is six? seven? old cut stones/rings now in my jewelry box. Just wondering about making the big final jump over to a biggun'. (and I use the word final as seriously tongue in cheek because with me there is never such a thing as final!)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I haven't made the jump because I started with a 1.73 ct antique cushion. However, in my current quest to find a BIG rock, I spent a bit of time at a B&M trying on large, ideal cut RBCs. They were lovely, but not right. I kept putting them next to my cushion and not liking the difference. At the end of the experiment, I no longer felt as if I were missing out on something by not having a modern ideal stone. Plus it helps that you're in the 3.5 ct range for an old cut, with the budget only covering a 2.5 ct modern stone. :bigsmile:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I love your RB. But you are a size lover. And you have beautiful old cuts so you know what captures your heart. The ONLY thing that concerns me, is if the old cut stops making your heart sing, there is no upgrade on it. So make sure you get it at a price where you can resell it well if you want to switch back to an RB later on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think you will regret it.

If you can afford an old cut independent of trading this in, I would get it, at the size you desire, and see in one year how you feel. Or maybe 6 months. That way you can see how you feel after wearing nothing but the old cut and having the original in the safe. I feel like you might be better off to have your ACA upgraded to the size you want, and have the old cuts to swap around on your mood but that if you got rid of your ACA, this old cut "craze" might die down and you might find yourself wanting your original back (or upgraded) and it wouldn't be financially feasible anymore.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337213114|3196919 said:
Mara, I love your RB. But you are a size lover. And you have beautiful old cuts so you know what captures your heart. The ONLY thing that concerns me, is if the old cut stops making your heart sing, there is no upgrade on it. So make sure you get it at a price where you can resell it well if you want to switch back to an RB later on.

This.

Mara, since I just picked up my ring today, I can honestly understand why old cuts (even wonky ones, as mine sort of is) are all the rage right now. The faceting just makes my heart pitter pat, and it's the fact that it isn't perfectly symmetrical that does it.

But you are such a bargain hunter, that SURELY you could keep the RB and get the bigger OEC? I have faith, what can I say? :rodent:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've thought about this very thing. I recently had the chance to see a large OEC in person, and it is STUNNING. I like the chunky facets and pastel colors SO much more than the splintery pinfire look of a modern round. There's just no comparison IMO. The OEC is a far more interesting and mesmerizing stone. I wouldn't hesitate.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mara,

My wife has made the switch and hasn't looked back.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never loved RBs, but I can tell you that my OMC is an absolutely mesmerizing stone. I've been wearing it for over a year now, and I still spend a lot of time just staring at it. There is definitely something special about old stones.

I feel like the desire to go bigger and bigger is going to be stronger with a stone like an RB or an AVC that is easily found in a larger size. With a true antique, you cannot get the same exact thing in a larger stone, so it's harder to think about going bigger. My OMC is 2.3 cts, and there was a point in time when I would have thought I'd end up with a larger stone eventually. But now I cannot imagine parting with my stone because I can't imagine finding another stone that I love just as much, no matter what the size.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My vote for you Mara: Sell everything BUT the RB and get the biggun you want. Can you swing it? YOu need both, keeps you happy as the tastes change.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone..! Thoughts appreciated.

Jon...can't help but think your wife probably knows she could switch back to a RB if she wanted to, I mean look at what she has at her fingertips?!

DD... I don't really want 2 giant stones, well actually that's not true lol, but it's not practical for me to have like a 2.3 and a 3c. I feel like I have to make a decision one way or the other.

re: giving up the super ideal H&A for the old stones...it's not so much that I am worried I would miss it, because I still do have my ACA pendant and I can easily get other RB H&A's like a 3 stone or something that would be affordable...or even do an eternity ring or a 5 stone ACA band or something. It's more about..would I miss the giant size of a superideal round later and if so, would I be priced out of the market for a 2-3c?

Gypsy's point is good, that I should make sure to consider resale and I am definitely doing that. I would probably only proceed if that was the case. On the flip side I do have a lot of other beauties I could sell if I needed to, to get back into a H&A in the future. I'd just rather not go there.

Ame, I do have a 1.5c OEC in a beautiful vintage setting, I adore it. It's so interesting to me, the faceting, the shape, the history behind it.

Haven, interesting point re: the old stones being more interesting and keeping you from wanting larger. I love your old stone BTW!!

In the last year I have just felt more and more like jewelry should be worn and loved and it seems so sad to just keep my ring and not wear it when someone else could be enjoying the stone. I also have bought and sold enough to know that if I don't currently love something, or have a use for it, someone else definitely will and I like the thought of the merry-go-round of bling passing through PS'ers hands sometimes. :bigsmile: I thought of just outright selling the 2.32 and not buying anything else. I have also considered not doing anything at all, or maybe resetting my 2.32 and seeing if I like it better in a simpler setting or something different. It is a beautiful stone..I wore it out to dinner on Saturday for our 8th anniversary.

I also think I overthink this stuff. :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I'd never advocate wasting money, I think I'd try resetting it to spruce it up a bit before I decided to let go of it altogether. I know you've had the stone awhile and anyone who bought a stone more than two years ago got a deal compared to today's prices. You can also sell for a profit but I think the game will be up if you ever decide to go back to an ideal cut stone.

I remember years ago that if someone even suggested buying an older stone or a stone from ebay it was strictly taboo! The tides have turned and I think we all have a better appreciation for the older cuts. As surely as night turns to day though this trend too will reverse with time. I'm guessing folks will gravitate back toward the whiter stones foregoing some of the higher colors they are happy with today. It's sort of monkey see, monkey do and as women, we're always changing our minds!

Having said all of that though what's most important is living in the moment. We have to do what makes us happy at any given moment - you can't plan for what your happiness will look like three years down the road. The most important part of the decision IMO is making an informed one and knowing all of the possible consequences. Nothing is forever and regaining a RB won't be impossible either. My take on it for myself is that compared to today's market, I got a great price on my stone. I don't consider selling it for a profit - I'm just happy to have what I have and am thankful I'm not buying today. There is still something in the precision of these ideal cuts that speaks to me. The older cuts are definitely beautiful but I like what the evolution of diamond cutting has brought to a modern cut stone.

Good luck with your decision - I can definitely appreciate anyone being torn trying to decide between two beautiful diamonds!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1337222312|3197075 said:
Having said all of that though what's most important is living in the moment. We have to do what makes us happy at any given moment - you can't plan for what your happiness will look like three years down the road. The most important part of the decision IMO is making an informed one and knowing all of the possible consequences. Nothing is forever and regaining a RB won't be impossible either.

This is definitely what I am thinking in general... is that let's say in 3 years or something I decide I love RB's again. For 3 years that ring or stone just sat there. To me that's wasteful... for me anyway, I would much rather be utilizing that $$ or the bling itself and loving it. I would hate to think it would happen that way. I'd much rather be wearing something I'd love for 3 years, then sell it for hopefully what I paid and then figure out what I'd buy next.

Having gotten more into CS's and the like in the last year+ has shown me that my tastes can change and it's ok, nothing has to be for 'forever' (now just gotta convince the hubs of this lol)...and that's ok. Of course after 8 years maybe my original e-ring isn't my same style anymore. Nothing wrong with that. Somehow I just came to this realization recently. So that is also what kind of pushed me further along this whole, well this stone isn't really my style anymore, why am I just hanging onto it.

Anyway a lot of talk for sure... still mulling things over. I do know I love my old stone 1.5c and don't plan to get rid of that, hopefully ever. On the flip side I don't want every stone I own to be an old cut and then yes in a few years think god why didn't I keep any of my RB's! LOL. Though on the other flip side of that, RB H&A's are easily found and I do like the lower colors, always have, so it's not like I can't get another one or two.

But really interested to hear from anyone else who used to be a hard core RB lover and made a switch and has or hasn't regretted it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think you would be pricing yourself out of a larger RB later.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1337209465|3196866 said:

OMFG! I would have replied to this way earlier, but I think I got concussed when I hit my head as I fell off my chair LMAO about anyone schooling Mara, the UPGRADE PIONEER, about upgrades. Best laugh I've had on PS in about 3 years! LOLOL I'm going to be giggling on this one for a WEEK minimum. :naughty:

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1337213114|3196919 said:

I dunno - I think there are many ways to 'upgrade' an OEC. Some vendors will do it (I know my local guy will), and I know Old World will take them in trade, too. It may or may be dollar for dollar, depending on where it's being sourced now.

Plus, I have to think that there will always be at least some demand for old cuts since they aren't a renewable resource, so I'd think there's room to move it later.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
As someone who's never been a big fan of super ideal (or otherwise) RB's -- I'm totally in the unique, pastel, kalidescopic O.C.C. (old cut camp.) So I say - go for it! Haven's chunky monkey ... that amazing 3+ ct. East West set "M" color Leon (whose owner's name is escaping me right now) ... S-gal's you know what ... these are the sugar plums that float through my bling daydreams. Though I wouldn't throw an true antique asscher outta bed either!

Agree that the pendulum will probably swing back toward Wham Bam Arrows etc eventually -- but, you'll have BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. By then you'll be onto honkin' icy Emerald Cuts. ;-)

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1337222312|3197075 said:
I remember years ago that if someone even suggested buying an older stone or a stone from ebay it was strictly taboo! The tides have turned and I think we all have a better appreciation for the older cuts. As surely as night turns to day though this trend too will reverse with time. I'm guessing folks will gravitate back toward the whiter stones foregoing some of the higher colors they are happy with today. It's sort of monkey see, monkey do and as women, we're always changing our minds!
I totally get what you're saying, MGR, and I could see where it might apply in most cases, but I think maybe less so for Mara. She's more often been the trend setter, not the follower, and her love of old stones seems to have only increased with having learned more about them and even built a collection of smaller ones. She's never been especially color sensitive from the outset, happily wearing a K before K stones caught on more widely, and actually prefers warmer colors on her skin.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It's so funny, because we've had this discussion together so many times. The only RB I loved the look of as much as my own was this stone Mara has, and I always made her swear (then on her yet-unborn firstborn!) that she'd give me first crack at that stone if she ever upgraded.

But we've both fallen out of love with the look of MRBs - blasphemy, I know, considering the history we've both had here. But since I put my hands onto my first two older stones (one OEC and one tranny) a few years back, the luster of the cookie-cutter modern RB just doesn't hold my heart the same way.

Man, Mara, I don't know what to tell you. I struggle already with how infrequently I wear my engagement set now in terms of having capital sit unused, and it's not even half the value of your set. Heck, I couldn't stomach having $$ tied up in .55 rb studs that pretty much became neglected once I got my leverback dangle earrings, so I feel your pain on this.

That said, though, there is a secondary market for RB diamonds too, so I don't think it would be completely out of your reach later if you decided to move back into that direction. If I were a betting woman, though, I'd bet again that. I don't think you'll regret it later.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
When I first found PS last year, I was beginning my process of an upgrade. At that point I didn't know much about diamonds, I just knew I wanted a big, round, sparkly diamond. ;)) After some research, I learned about ideal cut rounds and went to see several in person. While they were gorgeous, they just didn't quite satisfy what I was looking for. Then I found OECs and they hit the spot! Shocking as it may be to some-I actually prefer warmer colored stones in general-and the broad faceting of old cuts works so well with the warm tones of most antique stones. I like that each diamond is completely unique and has its own little quirks. For me, the choice to purchase and antique stone was by no means because of a fad(I don't have the funds to flip flop around with diamond), it was a personal taste preference. If you are feeling that your taste for cuts has changed, then I say go for it. You only live once and you should wear jewelry you enjoy!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1337207374|3196827 said:
I'm all for size though, and I wouldn't turn any cut of huge rock away :))

Haha, same. Except for a princess. I'd turn a princess cut away even if it was 10 cts. They are just not my thing. So square. TOO square.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
But Alj...would you sell your 3 stone e-ring? I mean, I love your giant OEC, but your three-stone...there is something so special about it.

I know that Mara's 2.3 isn't her original stone, so sentiment be damned. But speaking for myself, I am sitting here with a NEW blingy, gorgeous old stone 3 stone ring. And I'm mesmerized. And then my eyes drifted back toward my e-ring and I found myself softly smiling. It's my e-ring, and it's my love...and nothing, not even a new piece of far out bling makes me feel the way my -ering does. It's ever faithful.

Of course, I was smart enough to go for a cushion. :praise: :rodent: :cheeky:

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol TG... you're so cute, I mean that in the best way. I don't feel sentimental really about my e-ring or the stone, as it's what the 4th one that's been in that ring? I do like the ring itself but it's not my 'style' anymore so I'd have it made into an eternity band. G is pretty sentimental about it tho. Anndddd that reminds me I need to go see if you've posted pics of your fantastic new ring in your thread before I head off to bed!!!

I think that Alj is spot on with most of her assessment, as usual...especially when it comes to how I think and what will most likely happen. She likened it tonite to hanging onto that pair of fave jeans from the 80's...just waiting for the moment when you can wear them again and they are back in style. And when you do, 10 or 20 years later you think gosh this just isn't what I expected and why did I cart these bloody things around for 20 freaking years, I wasted all that time! LOL.

And I heartily agree re: the secondary market opportunities in the future. Anyway... just even talking this out and hearing what people think has almost solidified my desire to do this. I think I kind of knew what I wanted to do anyway, but most of what was said here just gelled it for me.

Not everyone knows this but the truly old PS'ers, but the first stone that brought me to search and find PS on Google was an OEC. 10 years ago, it was at a store in Carmel that I still love to visit and I came on to PS to ask 'what's an OEC? and how do I know this is a good deal?'. I loved the look of that stone back then. It was just not as popular/en vogue/or even as widely understood or known about then, and I remember many of the old old school PS'ers on here not even really knowing a ton about them. How times have changed, we have so many old cut mavens now!!

Deco... I surely hope I won't be onto flashy EC's...but you really never know right? Beauty of the PS brain. :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results