shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
On Ludmila's heels posting my transitional beauty. I just bought her, from a fellow jewelry fanatic and I just adore her! She's a right hand ring for now, but she may play a starring role on the left hand at times too. The center is about .30 carats and the ring (band included) is just about 1 carat.

Photo on 2011-02-10 at 08.52.jpg

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

ludmila.k|1276269869|2607919 said:
.75ct center modern diamond (G colour) and rose cut all around. Band with old european cut diamonds I think (.5tkw)
Both antique platinum and gold (18k:french gold quite pure) setting but a new diamond for the engagement ring...

I said it in the other thread, but I just LOVE this set. It's really in my top 5 at PS. You are a lucky gal!

LvMyOMC

Rough_Rock
I finally get to post my ering here!

Old Mine Cut .94 H-I SI1-SI2 (very clean)

The ring is so sparkly and chunky! I tried to capture the "chunkiness" in these pictures.

Final Ring 1.jpg

Final Ring 2.jpg

Final Ring 4.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, girls!!!

I may or may not have just bought this:

d328-1.jpg

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I finally took some earshots of the Vanilla Twins!

They are not particularly good photos, but I think they give some idea of the proportions. My earlobes are not tiny - not massive, but definitely not small - and I think these are a good size on me. They're about 6mm each. Sold to me as 1.80tcw, J SI - I would say they might be K-L but probably no lower, and no eye-visible inclusions at all.

PancakeEar1.jpg

PancakeEar2.jpg

PancakeEar3.jpg

PancakeEar4.jpg

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful earrings and ring above!

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
i just love love love all your jewelery!!! this is my all time best ebay find. its about 1.15-1.20ct old rose cut SI1 G-H (i think). the person who sold it to me sold it as G-H I2-I3 when in fact it was a stunning ring that just needed a good clean! and it was an absolute steal! ive had 2 jewelers look at it and one said art deco the other said Georgian. there is a number on it of 1826, so could be the date. any thoughts? im no expert and would love to have your opinions on it , i just buy stuff that i love! sorry the pictures are so bad. they make it look a little grey but i think its just the platinum mountx

FRANCIS SUITE 102.JPG

FRANCIS SUITE 105.JPG

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
oh my gosh I LOVE it!!!! Nice find!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Grace, this ring is adorable! I love love flowers and this ring is simply gorgeous.

I don't think the number inside the ring mean date but not sure...

GraceAva

Rough_Rock
thank you!! someone said it could be a number put on when its been pawned? im going to try and take some better pictures as its so much brighter than these pics show.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to thank all the posters for contributing to my learning experience with old cuts. I put that knowledge to good use and combined it with many hard hours of labor looking at old cuts. It resulted in me scoring a solitaire from 1928 with an OEC of 0.8-1.0ct (my assumption, it was measured at 6-6,09mm) I would say about a J (completely white from above, slight tint in certain lights from the side) completely eye clean and I could not find anything under 10x mag. It is stunning and I only paid 150 dollars.
Wanna know why? The seller had not realized that it was a diamond, so I took a gamble and scored! I was so freaked out when bidding and after until I could have it confirmed.
Sellers pic (is as always bad, the pics they take suck)
http://www.kaplans.se/Kaplans/AuctionArt.aspx?vId=691814&plT=73388511&AuktID=2105

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
lizzyann01|1293581894|2808335 said:
Hi Ladies, I like Yenny am trying to learn more about OEC's and how to spot a good find. I learned a lot in my thread from LGK and other PSers who dropped by. I found a pic of a diamond and am curious to your opinion on it. I have been eyeing it for awhile as I like the patterning and was curious what you think of it. It is a .7 carat I VS1 oec. $900 measurements 5.55mm x 3.5 deep. supposedly no chips or nicks. Let me know your thoughts!

I have a funny feeling that I have just bought this ring through the various ins and outs of eBay...

Don't know how to quote with the attachment, but the pic is here.

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Signing in! Once eye got an eyeful of the old cuts, modern ones began to look sharp and splintery to me (although I certainly wouldn't throw one out of bed for eating crackers!). The chunky facets of old diamonds seem to bubble with beauty - the stones almost look like blossoms, sometimes.

I'm going to set aside some special time to go through ALL of these posts... the first few pages had me slobbering. :lickout: Soooo beautiful!

This is my new old ring (and the only diamond jewelry I have), inherited from my Nana. It was her wedding ring in 1929. It's still so new to me that I'm taking every opportunity to post pics of it! Forgive me if you've seen it several times already. :oops:

The four main stones are roughly .5 ct each - the North and South are a few points over, the East and West, a few points under...

I also started a rose cut thread back in 2007... I'm fascinated by them, too!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-thread-old-repro-and-contemporary-pieces.69928/?hilit=rose%20cut']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rose-cut-thread-old-repro-and-contemporary-pieces.69928/?hilit=rose%20cut[/URL]

ring_HUGE.jpg

file-5.jpg

ring_3PROFILE.jpg

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
LvMyOMC|1297620645|2850833 said:
I finally get to post my ering here!

Old Mine Cut .94 H-I SI1-SI2 (very clean)

The ring is so sparkly and chunky! I tried to capture the "chunkiness" in these pictures.

I love the profile of your stone.

Pancake-love your earrings.

Ninama-how's your stunning ring holding up? Getting lots of wear I hope!

Bumping for new additions!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this thread! I keep on coming back to it, and it took me until now to realize that I actually have something to contribute.

Can I share my new ring? It's a 2.3 ct O/P SI1 antique cushion (called an "Old Mine Brilliant" on the GIA cert.) I had it set in an 18K rose gold solitaire. My jeweler purchased it from a woman who was selling her grandmother's jewelry. It had been in her family for at least 100 years, so all I know about it is that it is old!
IMG_1564.jpg
Thread with too many pictures here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-2-30-ct-omb-antique-cushion-upgrade.158760/

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Here's my .95 ct transitional in an onyx & platinum setting (circa 1940s-1950s)
kiz-onyxdiamond8.jpg

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
pancake|1297942969|2853765 said:
I finally took some earshots of the Vanilla Twins!

They are not particularly good photos, but I think they give some idea of the proportions. My earlobes are not tiny - not massive, but definitely not small - and I think these are a good size on me. They're about 6mm each. Sold to me as 1.80tcw, J SI - I would say they might be K-L but probably no lower, and no eye-visible inclusions at all.

Pancake - What are you going to be doing with these settings once you take the twins out? :naughty:

chupiechow

Rough_Rock
Kismet I absolutely love it, very unique. I need an Old Cut

OEClover

Rough_Rock
I have posted my ring in Show Me the Bling, but I thought that I'd also post it here, because this is where I first learned about OEC's and realized that I wanted an old cut for my engagement ring. Although now I want to switch all my jewelry to OECs, so I need to get new earrings and a pendant! :D

Mine is a 1.42 OEC with round brilliants as side stones. It's probably a later OEC since it's not quite as chunky as some yours, but I love it! The colors that come off of it are amazing.

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
OEClover..... slobber, slobber, slobber!! :lickout:

Your ring is beautiful!! And I know what you mean about wanting to convert all my pieces into vintage cuts. I've pretty much done that! Plus I feel a compulsion to adopt any old stones which are looking for a new home.

Cynthadia

Rough_Rock
I've posted a picture of my necklace in another post in this forum. However, in the interim, I've learned a great deal about rose cut diamonds. As a matter of fact, I recently took the necklace to an appraiser who has expertise in antique jewelry. The color of the 200+ diamonds is all over the place - ranging from I-K. What makes it especially difficult to evaluate is that the necklace is foiled (tested 12k), so any estimation of color is just that - an estimation.

I've learned to appreciate this necklace for what it is, a very warm period piece (early Victorian) that has a unique glow no found in modern jewelry.

Necklace - front.jpg

Necklace - back 2.jpg

pkanawha

Rough_Rock
I'm an old cut lover! I know that the modern round brilliant might be more brilliant than the old cuts. However the often shallower cuts, e.g. the OMC's, cushions, etc. are better for men's rings, I feel. I use my hands a lot and I don't want a a stone that sits high on my finger like a MRB tends to. Also, I think a low set diamond is just more masculine looking. Besides that, the older cuts tend to remind me more of the original rocks from which they were made. I like that since my initial interest in diamonds came from my interest in them as minerals, as rocks.

Well, that's why I like the antiques. Among them I suppose I'm partial to the lower cut diamonds: some OMC's (OEC's tend to be a bit high, but they're beautiful!), cushion cuts, Asschers. I'd love to have a table cut diamond (just the octahedral crystal with a single flat plane, a table cut on the top) in some Medieval style setting. It'd look good as leapt onto my horse (white, of course) and rode off to some noble battle or another.

Aven

Rough_Rock
Everyones old cuts are so lovely, I love to look through this thread and drool :D
I would consider myself a colored gemstone person except for when it comes to old cuts as well as step cuts. I am currently going through a passionate love affair with dainty estate/antique rings with old cuts, I just want to collect them all, each one is so unique and special! At the moment I only have one old cut at the moment, but I hope its the first of many. My husband and I found this wonderful little antique shop in Minnesota and he got me this little beauty. It was sold to us as an oec but the cutlet is so tiny and facets aren't quite as chunky as some so I want to say its more likely that its a tranny. The sapphire on the side are pretty dark but its a sweet little ring none the less.

2011-05-16 17.34.40.jpg

2011-05-16 17.26.18.jpg

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Aven|1313294872|2990427 said:
Everyones old cuts are so lovely, I love to look through this thread and drool :D
I would consider myself a colored gemstone person except for when it comes to old cuts as well as step cuts. I am currently going through a passionate love affair with dainty estate/antique rings with old cuts, I just want to collect them all, each one is so unique and special! At the moment I only have one old cut at the moment, but I hope its the first of many. My husband and I found this wonderful little antique shop in Minnesota and he got me this little beauty. It was sold to us as an oec but the cutlet is so tiny and facets aren't quite as chunky as some so I want to say its more likely that its a tranny. The sapphire on the side are pretty dark but its a sweet little ring none the less.

Aven I love your ring it's beautiful, would it be possible to see a picture from the side, what are the stats?

Aven

Rough_Rock
Lottie,
Thank you! I completely forgot to put up the stats! From what the receipt said its .23 oec (I think its tranny though because of the facet structure), G color, SI1 clarity. G sounds really high for the color but I have never seen it go the slightest bit yellow (I wouldn't mind if it would, I love low color old cuts!) I am not sure of the carat weight for the sapphires, maybe .10 - .15? Sized 4.75, I absolutely love the daintiness of it!

I may be getting to visit the same antique store in Oct and believe me I am saving up my pennies for another one of these beauties! Hopefully a really chunky little omc :love:

2011-05-16 17-1.29.22.jpg

2011-05-16 17.29.33.jpg

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Avene its really lovely, the filigree on the side is stunning and I have always loved the combination of Sapphires and diamonds. Thanks for putting the pictures on and letting me have a good look! :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1304946467|2916132 said:
Here's my .95 ct transitional in an onyx & platinum setting (circa 1940s-1950s)
kiz-onyxdiamond8.jpg

Absolutely love this ring!!!!!

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to add my crescent moon and star rose gold ring to this thread. :) I bought it as a present for myself when I finally reached a personal goal. It has supposedly, 0.75-80ctw of old mine cut diamonds. It's a size 8 and I wear it as a rhr ring.

crescent moon ring 001.JPG

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Xiriah! I love your ring! Congrats on reaching whatever goal got you that beauty!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results