shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW It's Here! It's Here! My 2.30 ct OMB Antique Cushion Upgrade

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Specs and pictures first, story later . . .

Setting: 18K rose gold shank, platinum head, completely hand forged, designed by me and inspired by so many different PS rings

2.30 ct
Old Mine Brilliant
8.10 x 7.92 x 4.96 mm
O to P range color
SI1
Depth: 62.6%
Table Size: 53%
Girdle: Thin to very thick, faceted
Culet: Large
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluor: Medium Blue

(I clearly make up for my lack of ability to take quality pictures with quantity--prepare for a photo explosion!)

With my original set (which is very dirty):
IMG_1297.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: It's Here! It's Here! My 2.30 ct OMB Antique Cushion Upg

IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1313_0.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
IMG_1338.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
IMG_1316.jpg
IMG_1327_0.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1331.jpg
IMG_1334.jpg
IMG_1333.jpg
IMG_1332.jpg
IMG_1346.jpg
IMG_1342.jpg
IMG_1338.jpg
IMG_1355.jpg
IMG_1353.jpg
IMG_1350.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg
IMG_1363.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg
handshot_0.jpg
IMG_1399.jpg
IMG_1397.jpg
And the design that I drew up for the ring:
RingIdeas.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

First, I should give credit to our amazing jeweler: Matt Burdeen of Burdeen's Jewelry in Illinois. We've been working with him for several years now, and I adore him and his entire staff. He took my design ideas and turned them into what I think is a stunning piece. I'm so grateful to him.

Next, a big thank you to everyone who helped me when I asked for design ideas, AND to those of you who gave me much needed advice when I hemmed and hawed about buying the stone after I learned that it was an O/P.

So, the story: My jeweler happened upon this beautiful OMB and bought it and then called me in to see it. It was love. It wasn't certified when he bought it, and I was surprised to learn that it was an O/P color when it came back from GIA. In the end that didn't matter, obviously, because I still loved it, and now it's on my hand.

I drew up that little design based on many different rings that I'd seen here on PS, brought it in, and here it is!

One thing I really wanted was for the stone's warmth to show through, and to my surprise my jeweler set a surprise 3 pt yellow diamond under the culet. I really love it, and I can definitely see it's beautiful color in the culet and through the rest of the stone when I look straight down at it. :lickout:

Another thing I really wanted was a thin shank, but of course I didn't want to compromise on durability. Since this ring is hand forged the metal is really dense and sturdy, and the shank is 1.55 mm. I was really surprised it turned out so thin, but I'm definitely loving it!

I really love that the overall shape of the ring is sort of Edwardian from the side, but it looks like a plain solitaire (and thus lets the stone shine) from the top.

I was very nervous about going custom AND having the ring completely hand made, because that meant I wouldn't *really* know what it looked like until it was completely finished. It helped that I really trust our jeweler, and I knew he would do a wonderful job. Still, my heart was pounding when we walked into the store today. HOWEVER, I love every single detail of this ring, right down to the surprise surprise yellow diamond. I adore the rose gold, and I think it really looks beautiful with both the stone itself, and on my pasty white hands.

Now I just need to figure out which stacking rings to pair with my new upgrade! The photos of the thin rings above are some bands that I tried on in the store, and the larger eternity band is my wedding band. I plan on wearing my wedding band on my right hand with my grandma Helga's ring from now on. I'm excited to wear the new ring alone for a while to really let it shine.

Thanks for looking! I'm sure I'll bore you with more pictures when I have more time. I took these photos in the jewelry store, in a Barnes and Noble on the way home, and then in three different places in our house--by the dining room windows, in a light blue bathroom, and in a yellow bathroom. I like the way the stone looks different in every single setting.

The final verdict: I love this ring. I could not be happier. I felt a bit sad about giving my original ring back as we drove over to the store, but as soon as I saw this one I knew I'd made the right decision.

If anyone has any good band ideas, I'd love to see them!

Thanks for looking!

LALove

Brilliant_Rock

Oh WOW!!!!!!!!!! :o :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Your new stone and ring are soooooooo dreamy & romantic!!! I LOVE it!!!!! I love that you designed it- it's simply GORGEOUS!!!

ETA- I really REALLY love the rose gold- I think it compliments the color of your stone so well!! :love:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock

My heavens that is such a beautiful ring and stone. I adore the warmer colors and the rose gold really plays it up, I thought I saw a yellow stone underneath-brilliant idea! What tops it off is the ever so delicate milgrain on the basket. The ring is beautiful from every angle. Good job designing it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you LALove and SandyCheeks! You're right, Sandy--my jeweler surprised me with a surprise yellow diamond in the bottom. I love the way it adds to the stone's warmth.

I wanted to come back to add that the ring is a size 6. It's really big on my hand, though, so I may get it sized down to the 5.5 that I really am. I usually like 'em big, but this shank is so thin, it spins. (I know I really like to know ring size when I'm searching for ring ideas.)

I really should be preparing to host tonight's book club, but all I want to do is sit around and stare at this ring in different lighting conditions! :cheeky:

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock

Oh my stars, this ring is heavenly. I love, love, love the warmer colour of the stone as it gives it a very romantic look and feel. The rose gold really showcases the stone. Although I thought your original set was beautiful, I have to say I'm drawn to the magic of this ring. The setting is perfect. As for bands, I really like the thin one you had on with the ring. I would bet that a delicate pink diamond band would be dreamy. Congratulations on your beautiful new ring. :appl: :appl: :appl:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

Oh wow. Wowee wow wow. Haven, it's absolutely stunning. That stone is hypnotizing. The pattern is amazing. And I am loving everything about the design of the setting: the rose gold, the subtle milgrain, how fluid it looks, the way it really makes the stone the center of attention while also being beautiful itself. You, my friend, may have missed your calling as a jewelry designer. Please wear it in good health and ENJOY!

ETA: I have to admit that this is one of my favorite things about PS--watching the journey of a piece like this from the creator's head, to paper and finally into reality--it's really fun to watch it all come together, especially when it turns out this beautifully!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is lovely Haven...that dreamy buttery warm color that I just love. You seem like the nicest person and you deserve
the ring of your dreams. Congratulations and job well done by your jeweller!

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock

Haven, I think that is the perfect stone! It has so much personality and I love the warmth, the color is perfect. :love: going back to look at pics again, Well done!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock

oh my, that is simply stunning!!! gorgeous!!

jjc

Brilliant_Rock

Just stunning... :love:

Congrats on your lovely new ring, wear it in the best of health!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, sooo beautiful!!! :love: The stone is gorgeous and that setting is just one of the prettiest solitaires I've ever seen! :appl: :appl: :appl:

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh Haven it's so lovely! I love your design, and the stone has such a beautiful cut and pattern. The warmth is lovely on you-and I love the rose gold! Enjoy your new beauty-so happy for you!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Girl, you did GOOOOD! I know your other diamond was dirty (bad Pser!) but this new ring positively wipes the floor with your old ring, with most rings I bet! The design is just amaxing and the rock is killer.

I would pair it with a wedding band the same as the shank and of the same proportions. This plain lovely gold will really look brilliant and let the stone stand out. And look bigger to boot.

So happy you are happy!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful, Haven. The stone is gorgeous and the setting perfect. I love everything about it. Great job. Enjoy it everyday!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's beautiful, Haven. The stone is gorgeous and the setting perfect. I love everything about it. Great job. Enjoy it everyday!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock

Ahhhh.... so romantic and delicate :love: Your lovely design really did that great stone justice. Enjoy that beauty!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not usually a fan of the older cut stones, but this one is stunning and the setting suits it perfectly...stunning choice, congrats :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven, that's magnificent - I love the stone, and I adore the design. The milgrain on the basket, the surprise yellow diamond, the fleur-de-lys ... it's absolutely beautiful! And the warmth is to die for: it has such character and personality, I can't imagine ever getting tired of watching it change in the light. I hope you, a) wear it in joy and good health, and, b) post many, many pics!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock

HAVEN-I am in love! Your setting is perfect! Absolutely perfect! What a great design. I love that it is simple and elegant from the top, but has such an absolutely gorgeous profile! You did a great job!!!!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haven! It's so gorgeous!!! I'm so glad you bought it and wow, what a setting! :appl:

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock

What a gorgeous ring! I love that you were able to pull from so many ideas and come up with such an elegant design.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a WONDERFUL ring!!! I especially love the profile!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The profile is really pretty - I think the ring turned out beautifully! Great design and love the multi facets of the stone!!

libramom

Shiny_Rock

Haven your upgrade is absolutely yummy :lickout: The rose gold and warmth of your stone is a great combo :))

Congrats and Enjoy!!!

LM

dani13

Ideal_Rock

Oh my dear, your new ring is STUNNING!!!!! I think that is one of the prettiest solitaires I have ever seen!!! That stone is MESMERIZING!
I am so happy for you!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS, and wear your new ring in the best of health & happiness!!!! :appl: :appl:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Haven...it's GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW! I think the setting came out perfectly! the teeny tiny milgrain on the basket is just :love: :love: and the rose gold... :love: :love: :love:

enjoy your new ring :)

MishB

Brilliant_Rock

Ir's dazzling, a beautiful stone in the perfect setting. This is just what I want for my 10th anniversary. Thanks for the inspiration. I love the idea of the 'secret stone'. I wonder how this would work with other colour stones... eg a pink diamond?

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

PS - may I ask your finger size?

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock

Ohmygosh... how exquisite! :love: :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results