shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay help. Need a sanity check.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy,

I think the advice from Bee was right on...first, see what your OPTIONS even are at this point, do the fact-finding as far as other venues, whether they''re available, etc. Second, try to remember that 1/2 of the food was GOOD...

So I would try to work with this venue, and do another tasting.

What does John think?

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
You''re great with honey as well, Gypsy. You offer praise much more often than criticism!

Let John do his best "honey routine", and see how the second tastings go.... Heaven knows I''m no great chef, but I always get a second chance (Darn!).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 5:14:01 PM
Author: claudinam
Gypsy,

I think the advice from Bee was right on...first, see what your OPTIONS even are at this point, do the fact-finding as far as other venues, whether they''re available, etc. Second, try to remember that 1/2 of the food was GOOD...

So I would try to work with this venue, and do another tasting.

What does John think?
Good question.
John was not happy with the food. Actually he disliked food more than I did. He did think I was too harsh in my email to them though-- considering we might be stuck with them. But the minute I suggested alternate venues, he named a few, so I know he''s not against that.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 4:48:06 PM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 5/7/2008 4:45:45 PM

Author: luckystar112

FWIW Gypsy (and I know that you didn't directly call ME out), I don't think you've been overly dramatic with anymore than the rest of us. In fact, in case I missed something, I just went back to your more recent topics. Threading, Dora bride veils, wanting to lose weight, asking for suggestions for things such as MOH gift and what people regret splurging on etc. I don't get an overly negative vibe from you, if that's even what surfgirl is saying, I think that you are a great contributor. In fact, I'm confused on this 'day to day basis' thing. Huh? Your last 'dramz' thread was about your boss.

I know you don't need anyone to stick up for you, and I'm not trying to, and actually I should probably just stay out of it....but I just wanted you to know I don't get that vibe from you. I guess it's kind of like opinions on food.
9.gif
Thank you very much honey. I appreciate the support. Very much.

I'm kind of confused too, especially because I thought I was the resident drama-queen.
11.gif
If anyone is whining about something daily, it's me. Sorry everyone. I am trying to be better about it!
5.gif
Gypsy I don't think you're being crazy dramatic at all, if you need support ask for it and we'll give it to you. If you want a reality check ask for it. That's what we are here for: to be helpful, nice, and get each other through the crap that comes up when planning a wedding. It's not always fun and so many things come out around the time of a wedding. So please do not hesitate to ask for advice again. I understand why you're stressed, you're afraid it won't work out and the food will be horrible. It'd be totally rattled, too! I am sorry, honey because I am not getting that vibe from you either. You are saucy, perky, fun, and helpful. So I'm a bit confused.
33.gif

ETA: Sorry for posting the tasting link, it may not have helped.
38.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 5:20:00 PM
Author: isaku5
You''re great with honey as well, Gypsy. You offer praise much more often than criticism!

Let John do his best ''honey routine'', and see how the second tastings go.... Heaven knows I''m no great chef, but I always get a second chance (Darn!).
It''s easier on here to empathize rather than criticize. In real life, when something I care for or about is threatened empathy is not my first instinct. Its a flaw in my personality I''m working on.

I''m not a great chef. But between the two of us, WE are a great chef together. So I''m really bad about being empathetic when WE (as a team) can come up with better recipes and food than a place that is in the business of selling food. I do probably have over-high expectations.

I''ll let John soothe the feather''s I''m sure I''ve ruffled. He''s a good soother. LOL.

Thank you Isabel.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 5:26:37 PM
Author: SarahLovesJS

Date: 5/7/2008 4:48:06 PM

Date: 5/7/2008 4:45:45 PM

Author: luckystar112

FWIW Gypsy (and I know that you didn't directly call ME out), I don't think you've been overly dramatic with anymore than the rest of us. In fact, in case I missed something, I just went back to your more recent topics. Threading, Dora bride veils, wanting to lose weight, asking for suggestions for things such as MOH gift and what people regret splurging on etc. I don't get an overly negative vibe from you, if that's even what surfgirl is saying, I think that you are a great contributor. In fact, I'm confused on this 'day to day basis' thing. Huh? Your last 'dramz' thread was about your boss.

I know you don't need anyone to stick up for you, and I'm not trying to, and actually I should probably just stay out of it....but I just wanted you to know I don't get that vibe from you. I guess it's kind of like opinions on food.
9.gif
Thank you very much honey. I appreciate the support. Very much.

I'm kind of confused too, especially because I thought I was the resident drama-queen.
11.gif
If anyone is whining about something daily, it's me. Sorry everyone. I am trying to be better about it!
5.gif
Gypsy I don't think you're being crazy dramatic at all, if you need support ask for it and we'll give it to you. If you want a reality check ask for it. That's what we are here for: to be helpful, nice, and get each other through the crap that comes up when planning a wedding. It's not always fun and so many things come out around the time of a wedding. So please do not hesitate to ask for advice again. I understand why you're stressed, you're afraid it won't work out and the food will be horrible. It'd be totally rattled, too! I am sorry, honey because I am not getting that vibe from you either. You are saucy, perky, fun, and helpful. So I'm a bit confused.
33.gif
Thank you Sarah.
2.gif
You did the right thing in posting the tasting link Sarah. You aren't responsible for anyone's posts but your own.

Not mine, requesting a kick in the pants... or anyone's who delivered a kick in the pants. Please don't think you did anything wrong at all.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I agree that another tasting is in order. I haven't started this for my own wedding yet, but it will be completely unacceptable to me if something they advertise on their catering menu isn't available for tasting. That defeats the whole purpose. So if I were you'd I'd DEMAND to be able to taste all the options. You may get it and you may not, but it just blows my mind that they expect you to spend hundreds of $$ to serve dishes to your guests with no idea how the dish tastes.

For some things, you may need to step back a tiny bit. If the chicken marsala wasn't actually in a marsala sauce but still tasted good, maybe you can creatively rename it on your guest menus and leave it at that? Not perfect, but an alternative solution.

Are they still willing to work with you on the hors d'ouevres? If so, I'd suggest going to a caterer's website where you can actually view what they offer, and seeing if they have things you haven't thought of, then suggesting those to your venue. A partial list from one of the places I'm considering (probably should post it on the other thread, but hey, I'm here now):

Hot:
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Mini Spring Rolls
Thai Chicken or Shrimp Purses
Hot Artichoke & Spinach Cheese Spread Baguettes
Chinese Potstickers w/Dipping Sauce
Fried Crab Ravioli with Spicy Dipping Sauce
Shrimp in a Blanket with Sweet & Sour Sauce
Jerk Chicken and Pineapple Brochettes
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Baby Beef Wellingtons Wrapped in Phyllo
Spanikopita
Peanut & Spice Crusted Beef Skewers
Scallops & Pancetta in Filo Cups
Mini Quiche
Mini Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam
Slow Roasted Beef Empanadas
Skewered Seared Scallop with Curry Dipping Sauce

Cold:
Proscuitto, Melon & Goat Cheese Canneloni
Seasonal Crab Salad in Wonton Cups
House Cured Salmon on Blinis with Crème Fraiche
Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus
Bleu Cheese & Spiced Walnuts on Pear Crisp
Beef Carpaccio with Capers on Crostini
Chicken Salad on an Apple Crisp
Tomato Bruschetta Crostini
Beef Bresola Rolled with Spinach
Poached Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce

In the end, I think that if you're happy with the other services they're providing and it's just a few food items driving you crazy, it's not worth the angst of finding another venue. Especially if John can sweet-talk them a bit. Nothing is going to be 100% perfect, so it comes down to what you can live with and what you can't. It there's more to this than the food, though, that's a problem.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Moreover, I also agree that the second tasting would be great!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 5:30:49 PM
Author: Octavia
I agree that another tasting is in order. I haven''t started this for my own wedding yet, but it will be completely unacceptable to me if something they advertise on their catering menu isn''t available for tasting. That defeats the whole purpose. So if I were you''d I''d DEMAND to be able to taste all the options. You may get it and you may not, but it just blows my mind that they expect you to spend hundreds of $$ to serve dishes to your guests with no idea how the dish tastes.

For some things, you may need to step back a tiny bit. If the chicken marsala wasn''t actually in a marsala sauce but still tasted good, maybe you can creatively rename it on your guest menus and leave it at that? Not perfect, but an alternative solution.

Are they still willing to work with you on the hors d''ouevres? If so, I''d suggest going to a caterer''s website where you can actually view what they offer, and seeing if they have things you haven''t thought of, then suggesting those to your venue. A partial list from one of the places I''m considering (probably should post it on the other thread, but hey, I''m here now):

Hot:
Creamy Chicken & Mushroom Mini Spring Rolls
Thai Chicken or Shrimp Purses
Hot Artichoke & Spinach Cheese Spread Baguettes
Chinese Potstickers w/Dipping Sauce
Fried Crab Ravioli with Spicy Dipping Sauce
Shrimp in a Blanket with Sweet & Sour Sauce
Jerk Chicken and Pineapple Brochettes
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Baby Beef Wellingtons Wrapped in Phyllo
Spanikopita
Peanut & Spice Crusted Beef Skewers
Scallops & Pancetta in Filo Cups
Mini Quiche
Mini Baked Brie with Raspberry Jam
Slow Roasted Beef Empanadas
Skewered Seared Scallop with Curry Dipping Sauce

Cold:
Proscuitto, Melon & Goat Cheese Canneloni
Seasonal Crab Salad in Wonton Cups
House Cured Salmon on Blinis with Crème Fraiche
Proscuitto Wrapped Asparagus
Bleu Cheese & Spiced Walnuts on Pear Crisp
Beef Carpaccio with Capers on Crostini
Chicken Salad on an Apple Crisp
Tomato Bruschetta Crostini
Beef Bresola Rolled with Spinach
Poached Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce

In the end, I think that if you''re happy with the other services they''re providing and it''s just a few food items driving you crazy, it''s not worth the angst of finding another venue. Especially if John can sweet-talk them a bit. Nothing is going to be 100% perfect, so it comes down to what you can live with and what you can''t. It there''s more to this than the food, though, that''s a problem.
Hello Octavia, boy did your post make me hungry! LOL. There are a lot of good ideas on there, and I''m going to talk to John to see what he likes as an appetizer... and then provide them with the recipe, (from a website as you suggested) as well as the request. Sausage stuffed mushrooms. I wonder if they can do a portobella mushroom, stuffed. Hmm. YUMMY.

I am happy with the other services they are providing, so I think it''s worth a second shot. Thank you very much!

AceP

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hi gypsy,

a suggestion - not sure if it''s viable for you, but i''ll throw it out there. i too, was not crazy about my caterer. but, i also wasn''t all that into wedding planning, it was long-distance, and frankly, i didn''t feel like changing anything. but - one thing i did do: my caterers had a very specific list of items they would prepare. to say they were inflexible is an understatement. so - i decided i wanted a sushi bar. now, i KNEW this was something they would never ever do. completely out of their expertise. so i was able to arrange for a local sushi place to set up a sushi bar, replete with sushi chef rolling, during our cocktail hour. my caterer whined, and grumbled, and refused to even supply the table the sushi sat on. but i summoned up a big ''ol vat of verbal honey, and she agreed. just food for thought (no pun intended) in case you''re able to pull off anything like that.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

Sorry you having these problems.

My suggestion would be to stay with them and try and work things out tactfully with the chef.

Tastings can be very unlike the actual day unfortunately.

I did an event a couple of years ago where I travelled 3 hours to the venue for a tasting. We tried 3 different menus and they were all amazing. The standard I would expect from a 5* London venue.

I specifically asked the chef if he was comfortable producing the chosen menu to the same standard for 150 people. He assured me it would be fine.

On the night, the starter was okay, the fillet steak was beyond awful (the guest speaker''s opening words were "Now we all know what happened to Shergar" - talk about embarrassing!), the vegetables were overcooked and the potatoes raw...

I''ve also done events with a 5* hotel in London where the first year the food was AMAZING, it was an event for 300 people and I had so many letters and phonecalls saying that the food was what you would get if you were ordering a la carte in a top restaurant. The second year, the food was distinctly so-so. Same chef, same venue - did tastings both times.

You never can quite tell until the day.

When dealing with chefs try as hard as possible not to upset them - all the ones I''ve worked with seem to need gentle encouragement. That''s not to say that you shouldn''t criticise. I thought your letter seemed about right.

Seriously I would stick with the venue, you could be dealing with a whole host of new problems otherwise (you might even get my Venue Witch!).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love you guys. Even when I want to kill you. LOL. I used my own honey. As Isaku said, I've got it. LOL. It's just a matter of getting over my ornery mad (as Deco pointed out).

I called the venue just now, and talked things over with them. It went very well actually. They were responsive, and they are definitely arranging a second, private, tasting. The chef is off till Wednesday, but as soon as they can arrange something they will work with our schedules to set it up. Have to get som recipes in order so I may be making that soup tonight for dinner. YUM!

We'll see how that goes. Hopefully it will go well. Fingers crossed.

Thank you for everyone who offered constructive advice, criticism and sympathy.

Pandora, thank you for the great, and informative post from an event coordinating professional. Much appreciated. I hope the chef is "ON" at my wedding... and that he is THERE. LOL.

Hi AceP... That's a great idea, and I actually did just that with respect to the persian cookies I wanted at tea/coffee time. John would love to have sushi... might have to see what they say about that!! THank you!

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I am just catching up to this post, and I wanted to remind everyone here what a help you have been to many of us brides, especially in the flower dept. It is always nice to have you chime in your vote, support, why something won''t work, etc... Just my two cents, but I just wanted to let you know you are appreciated here on the BIW boards.

As for the venue, I think you really do need to give them a second chance to make things better. With only 4.5 months to go, I fear finding another venue may be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot at this point.

Please try to go to them (or have John do it) with a positive attitude and focus on their strong points and what you DID like about them. Then, after you''ve buttered them up, let them know your concerns again and try to work it out.

I hope everything ends up coming together for you!

{{HUGS}}

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 6:23:53 PM
Author: Harleigh
Hi Gypsy,

I am just catching up to this post, and I wanted to remind everyone here what a help you have been to many of us brides, especially in the flower dept. It is always nice to have you chime in your vote, support, why something won''t work, etc... Just my two cents, but I just wanted to let you know you are appreciated here on the BIW boards.

As for the venue, I think you really do need to give them a second chance to make things better. With only 4.5 months to go, I fear finding another venue may be the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot at this point.

Please try to go to them (or have John do it) with a positive attitude and focus on their strong points and what you DID like about them. Then, after you''ve buttered them up, let them know your concerns again and try to work it out.

{{HUGS}}

Thank you Harleigh honey. I apprecaite the support.

I did call them myself, just a few minutes ago. And am giving them a second chance. They sounded like they were genuinely wanting to please, so I''ve got my fingers crossed!

I did see your post in my other thread about your venue, no tasting, and the MIA chef!!! YIKES!! That''s perspective! I hope you food and your hole event far exceed your best dreams and desires honey, you deserve it.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 6:29:19 PM

Date: 5/7/2008 6:23:53 PM
Author: Harleigh
Hi Gypsy,

{{HUGS}}

Thank you Harleigh honey. I apprecaite the support.

I did call them myself, just a few minutes ago. And am giving them a second chance. They sounded like they were genuinely wanting to please, so I''ve got my fingers crossed!

I did see your post in my other thread about your venue, no tasting, and the MIA chef!!! YIKES!! That''s perspective! I hope you food and your hole event far exceed your best dreams and desires honey, you deserve it.
You are most welcome, and I''m glad to hear they are eager to assist you. I think working together with them will help you to have *hopefully* the best of both worlds and can make them and you happy with the end result. They will want your praise to other brides as a recommendation for their venue, so I can''t imagine they wouldn''t try to appease you on at least some of the things.

As for my situation, I have pretty much done as Deco suggested earlier and I am just trying to let that frustration go. I know there is nothing I can do to make it better, so I just keep emailing with pertinent details and hoping they get back to me within a reasonable time frame. The reviews online from TripAdvisor and other travel sites have mixed reviews, so I figure it''s going to be a crapshoot all around on that one!

Funny thing is, after your post last night, I started looking into the restaurant we were trying to have the welcome dinner at...it has HORRIBLE reviews, and by horrible, I mean worse than the worst food and service these people have ever had! They were the only place I could find that seemed reasonably affordable and didn''t just ''not'' respond to my inquiries, so they seemed like a viable option, but now I am looking around for other affordable options. I am seeing FI''s parents this weekend and was hoping to have everything dialed in for them to sign off on for this dang dinner already!

I appreciate the support...I will keep you posted how all of this turns out! For now, though, I am off to go get a body wrap and a facial! Hang in there, hun...we''re all here to support you, too!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
How about an opinion from a non-bride guest''s perspective? I get that you all want your day to be perfect and also to get the best value for the hard earned money you''re paying, but...guests at your wedding aren''t really there for the meal anyway. I mean when I attend a wedding, the food is about the last thing on my mind (unless I get ptomaine from it). I''m there to celebrate the bride and groom and wish them happiness. No one goes to a wedding for the meal, and really unless it''s awful, the food won''t be the thing they remember anyway.

Just some "food for thought" so you lovely ladies won''t stress so much
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok so I only got to the point where you said that you are the "enforcer" and John is "public relations". And I am now laughing hysterically because I'm public relations and Dale is the enforcer.

Anyway. I'm going to read on now...

ETA: Yikes! Oh my!

Ok. I'm glad you got it all worked out, kind of. And here's a note about chefs: we are EGOMANIACS. Seriously. It's bad. If you care to, read Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential. We're not all as bad as he is, but you can get the general idea from his book.

My advice: Send John in. Kill them with kindness. Talk to the chef directly-and feed him every compliment you can come up with about the food. If you don't like one of the dishes, don't include it on your menu. Service is a whole other thing-but just so long as the food is edible-I say it's all good.

Personally, I'm going to intimidate them with my street cred (CIA trained) and ply them with alcohol.

Don't worry Gypsy, it'll work out.

(((HUGS)))

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy,

I've been lurking the BWW threads for a while now as I start planning my own... and I have to say you seem to be the sweetest ... Planning an event is a very stressful thing to do so you are within reason.

I would like to offer you the perspective of a long time observer of weddings as I worked for many years ( college job) in a really nice catering hall as a waitress ,captain, bartender and finally event planner. I have seen oh so many weddings. That explains why I'm having so much of a hard time deciding on what to do for my own. It's all too familiar.

1- As far as the food tasting goes, I agree with others. Although tastings are helpful they are not really 100% representative of how your food is going to be the day off. Don't be disappointed because you did not like everything ... it is expected. Most chefs have certain dishes they excel at, while others are not that great. That's why the tasting is helpful in terms of weeding out the "bad".

If you think of it, this is true for most of us. You know, I can't cook for crap but I can make a killer lasagna. I hope you get my point.

Stick with what you liked. Also, feel free to ask for recommendations from the caterer as of what dishes / appetizers are best in his/her opinion. Bottom line, I would not dismiss the caterer at this point. It's not worth the extra work it would entail.

2- Don't feel at any point guilty for expressing your concerns to the caterer. Granted, maybe you could have used sweeter words but trust me, having worked in the industry, I have seen far worse than that. These guys are accustomed to this sort of thing.

I agree with purfectpear. I have seen the most amazing dishes left behind, uneaten, because people are usually so busy socializing, dancing e.t.c. that food becomes a second thought. You know your crowd best, so for you this may not apply. However, let me tell you what all guests will remember... A relaxed, happy, radiant couple. It will all come together.

Good luck to you
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mishka and Maise, thank you both for your support. I am concerned, but a less stressed about it. Which is nice.

Harleigh, WOW, the reviews were that bad honey? Yikes. I''m sorry. I admire you for taking the approach of being less stressed about it all, and taking care of yourself. I think I''m going to have to follow you example. You have my support whenever you need it. I look forward to updates!

PurrfectPear, thank for the perspective... I thiink you and everyone who has agreed with you are right, most people don''t go to a wedding expecting a 5 star knock your socks off meal. I''m afraid I was letting my competitive nature get to me, the most recent wedding we attended had just flat out amazing food and service. But you are right, it was the exception not the rule by far!

Thank you Freke honey, I laid on some honey today. And at the second tasting... we''ll play boost the chef''s ego, on strict orders from Freke. I like your plan for shock and awe!! LOL about you and Dale as the reverse of me and John. The enforcer. ROAR! That''s me.

Thank you for the good luck and the perspective lesco! And for the compliment, *blush*. We will do our best to pick the best dishes we can and hope for the best. This line of yours " However, let me tell you what all guests will remember... A relaxed, happy, radiant couple. It will all come together." Really hit home for me. I will work on being more relaxed and happy and not focus so much on the stress. ((HUGS)) Thank you for de-lurking for me. I appreciate it. Stick around, we''d love to see more of you!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds good...

The blah blah blah was LOVELY Chef!!What is your secret?

Just be grateful they aren''t making your cake!
23.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 12:44:25 AM
Author: FrekeChild
Sounds good...

The blah blah blah was LOVELY Chef!!What is your secret?

Just be grateful they aren''t making your cake!
23.gif
I actually thought that at the tasting-- I said to myself THANK GOD there''s no dessert offered! I''m gonna have to work on sincereity, cause my fake sincerity makes John wince. I suck at it.

Blah blah blah was great, what''s your secret. Well, I might have some luck if I practice. Never been a good actor or poker player, everything I''m really thinking is right on my face. Hmmm. Thank you Freke. I''ll find something sincere to compliment him on. I can do that. Maybe if I go in with ROCK bottom expectations, I''ll be so surpised by anything moderately good I''ll be gushing?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''d ask (or have John) for another tasting. I don''t see why you should have to pay for it if you are concerned about the quality of the food. I would not want to serve yucko food to all of my loved ones. And, hunny, you have every right to be as dramatic or as undramatic as you want. You are planning one of the most important days of your life. This is the wedding section of this board, after all. I fully understand wanting everything to be perfect.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seriously-go in with rock bottom expectations and you''ll be positively delighted at how good it is! And then you can come back and tell us all the BS you fed him. Heck! Take a tape recorder so you can get it word for word!

Just make sure the name of the dish isn''t "blah blah blah" Because if it is, we need to talk about changing venue again.
23.gif

2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 1:04:57 AM
Author: Miranda
I''d ask (or have John) for another tasting. I don''t see why you should have to pay for it if you are concerned about the quality of the food. I would not want to serve yucko food to all of my loved ones. And, hunny, you have every right to be as dramatic or as undramatic as you want. You are planning one of the most important days of your life. This is the wedding section of this board, after all. I fully understand wanting everything to be perfect.
Hi Miranda, thank you very much for the support. I do want the day to be as perfect as possible, I also need to work on not driving myself crazy about it. No worries about my stopping to post. I''ve been here for a good while, and if *I* can avoid posts by people who aren''t always on the same page as I am, people can avoid mine if they bother them. No worries. We are getting another tasting, I don''t know if we will pay for it or not, I know it will go a long way if they DO do it free of charge, but if they don''t, well I''ve already offered, so I can''t really be mad at them for taking me up on it. THANK YOU very much for your post I really appreciate it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 1:05:19 AM
Seriously-go in with rock bottom expectations and you''ll be positively delighted at how good it is! And then you can come back and tell us all the BS you fed him. Heck! Take a tape recorder so you can get it word for word!

Just make sure the name of the dish isn''t ''blah blah blah'' Because if it is, we need to talk about changing venue again.
23.gif

2.gif
SNORT. Yeah.

Thanks for making me smile Freke. I needed that. I will work on rock bottom expectations. Only way is up!
2.gif

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 11:52:09 PM

Harleigh, WOW, the reviews were that bad honey? Yikes. I''m sorry. I admire you for taking the approach of being less stressed about it all, and taking care of yourself. I think I''m going to have to follow you example. You have my support whenever you need it. I look forward to updates!
Well, they weren''t good, but we''re stuck with the menu at our venue. Good news tonight, though...I did get them to change the menu a bit and got the price down from $65 to $47, so that makes me a VERY happy lady! Their reviews were very mixed about the quality of food and service, some good, some bad, but I am okay with iffy food at a better price, and I got responses from both the chef and the hotel''s event coordinator today, so I am feeling better about the actual wedding dinner reception plan.
20.gif

I actually have been doing the "killing them with kindness" mode also and it seems to be working. I effusively thank them in advance for their time, note that I realize how busy they are, blah, blah, blah, then smack them over the head with what I would like answers for. Truly, though, I think they both snapped to attention when I indicated I would be more than happy to take my business elsewhere if they couldn''t come up with a menu to accommodate my needs and get back to me in a timely manner. I am horrible about these things in person, but I can be very well spoken when armed with print that I can think about ahead of time!!!
31.gif

Now, the other place, at which we were to have the "Welcome Dinner" at may just have to be ousted. I asked the gal helping me from there for a bit of detail for the dishes on the menu they put together, which they offered to send me, but of course never have. I go weeks at a time with no response, but that seems to be the going thing with people on "Island Time!"

The reviews on TripAdvisor for this restaurant are all terrible...there was not one positive comment about the food, the staff, the service, the cleanliness, etc... There were several posts and I just don''t know that I can waste money (or my in-laws money, rather) on something that crappy. I am seriously considering Round Table at this point...seriously, how bad can that be, even on Maui, I ask you??? Unfortunately, we need to keep it to about $25 per person as there is additional tax and gratuity that we need to keep in mind, as well. Seriously, I have already planned one dinner...can''t somebody else plan the other one?
3.gif

Maybe I should start a "Reasonably Priced Maui Restaurant" thread...think anyone would bite???
2.gif

Thanks again for always being so supportive...luvs ya!
28.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 1:17:21 AM
Date: 5/8/2008 1:05:19 AM

Just make sure the name of the dish isn''t ''blah blah blah'' Because if it is, we need to talk about changing venue again.
23.gif

2.gif
SNORT. Yeah.

Thanks for making me smile Freke. I needed that. I will work on rock bottom expectations. Only way is up!
2.gif
Yay!!!That was my goal!!!

Ok. I want cupcakes...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2008 4:01:31 PM
Author: surfgirl
Gypsy, since you called me out specifically to kick you in the proverbial pants, I'm going to oblige you but I dont think you're going to like what I have to say...but here goes baby, bend over...
28.gif

First of all, I think you need to stop posting obsessively about every little minutae of your wedding and Just.Do.It already...it seems like this has been going on since before man stood upright, and sometimes I dont even think you really want to get married. I get the feeling that on some level you revel in the drama and you look for problems at every turn, no matter if they exist or not. Maybe you keep looking for all the problems because once you get married all this posting about weddings and the attention it garners will cease to exist. I'm not saying it to be mean, I'm saying it because it keeps happening over and over and over again. And more than anything, I think all of this never-ending drama is going to likely over shadow and ruin your wedding, assuming this wedding ever happens. I say IF, because you keep coming up with reasons to postpone, then you say things are on track and yet, near weekly there is some near-disaster to post about. I just dont get it. When a person has so many problems all the time, at some point one has to look at that person and stop placing the blame on the vendors...And to that end, I think you should just hire a wedding consultant and let them take care of it from here on out and just show up the day of because all this drama just isn't normal.

I'm sorry if that's too blunt or honest for you but I think it needed to be said, given the history of your wedding planning...
Surfgirl,
Gypsy has had a number of problems on both personal and professional fronts of late, if my memory serves me correctly. Perhaps that is why she has had to postpone her wedding previously. Maybe you know her in real life, but I doubt any of us know our virtual acquaintances sufficiently to speculate as to their motivations behind their actions.

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gypsy - sorry I''m only responding to this now. I am glad that things are looking up a bit at the venue. I agree that killing them with kindness is the way forward, although I would really be terrible at it myself. (Even my mom says I''ve got a really abrasive personality when it comes to getting what I want!) Mainly, just wanted to give you ((((HUGS)))) during this stressful time for you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2008 10:17:58 AM
Author: Harriet

Date: 5/7/2008 4:01:31 PM
Author: surfgirl
Gypsy, since you called me out specifically to kick you in the proverbial pants, I''m going to oblige you but I dont think you''re going to like what I have to say...but here goes baby, bend over...
28.gif

First of all, I think you need to stop posting obsessively about every little minutae of your wedding and Just.Do.It already...it seems like this has been going on since before man stood upright, and sometimes I dont even think you really want to get married. I get the feeling that on some level you revel in the drama and you look for problems at every turn, no matter if they exist or not. Maybe you keep looking for all the problems because once you get married all this posting about weddings and the attention it garners will cease to exist. I''m not saying it to be mean, I''m saying it because it keeps happening over and over and over again. And more than anything, I think all of this never-ending drama is going to likely over shadow and ruin your wedding, assuming this wedding ever happens. I say IF, because you keep coming up with reasons to postpone, then you say things are on track and yet, near weekly there is some near-disaster to post about. I just dont get it. When a person has so many problems all the time, at some point one has to look at that person and stop placing the blame on the vendors...And to that end, I think you should just hire a wedding consultant and let them take care of it from here on out and just show up the day of because all this drama just isn''t normal.

I''m sorry if that''s too blunt or honest for you but I think it needed to be said, given the history of your wedding planning...
Surfgirl,
If my memory serves me correctly, Gypsy has had a number of problems in her personal and professional life recently. Perhaps, that is why she postponed her wedding in the past.
And to be honest, it really doesn''t matter why her wedding has not occurred before now, the point is, it didn''t. And now it is going to. I''ve gotten no impression that she does not want this. I think she does, more than anything. She''s simply a bride stressing.

SG, I have never had a problem with you before, but this post really went over the line. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results