shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC cut quality and finding a diamond with max fire

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Update: The pre-loved rose gold Elsa didn't work out thanks to someone from this forum sniping it. Not happy about that but lesson learned.

So moving in a new direction. This OEC is above my budget but would love to hear opinions/thoughts on it. Perhaps too warm for an engagement ring but I'm wondering if there's still a lot to love about it:

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug....ntique-Diam/2h04ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-/

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a gorgeous stone dropsonde. I love the flowery facet pattern! To me that stone looks very bright and white facing. I would call Erica right away and talk to her. Stones like that don't last long.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can assure you, that ring has been for sale for awhile and tons of people have been aware of it. So there is no sniping involved in that particular situation!

I like the stone you just linked, but I don't love it because I prefer a more classic OEC look (such as the August Vintage OEC in my avatar picture). However, as someone previously stated, there are many pretty stones and taste is subjective. I chose an AVR just because the perfect antique OECs are very hard to find. But you'd have to have one custom cut and that would take some time.

I love the idea of the yellow gold CVB Chloe and an 8mm stone would be awesome! I think a K would work in yellow gold. My only hesitation is that the stone above has a very thin girdle in part, and that is a greater risk of chipping unless set in a bezel or halo. An 8 prong setting would give more protection, too. Caysie maybe could do an 8 prong Elsa, but the 6 prong Elsa would still give more protection than the Chloe.

Diamondz1

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen any diamonds in person, yet? You've mentioned a few times that certain stones might be too low in color... that's subjective so, the only way to find out is to get something in-hand.

You can order the stone above and view it within the return period. You might also visit some estate jewelry shops in your area (don't necessarily buy there, their prices are likely to be higher than what can be found online) to see some things in person. This gets a little complicated because, assuming they don't have grading reports for their antique pieces, you'll be guessing at what color you're seeing but, it has the advantage of your girlfriend saying, "Ok, I can color and it does or doesn't bother me."

I like the stone you linked - did the vendor confirm that it's eye-clean?

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I agree with you in theory DS, my Antique cushion has a very thin girdle and is in the Chloe setting (see avatar). My larger OEC also has a very thin girdle and is in a 6-prong setting. That said, I am extremely careful with my rings. That is definitely something to consider OP, but if you are looking for an antique stone most fall into the "very thin to extremely thin" category. Good luck with your decision.

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
LAD did confirm it is eye-clean and I will be taking a look at it personally. As far as settings under consideration, my girlfriend has ruled out the Chloe (my fave as I posted earlier but her taste counts the most, right?). The two contenders are the Elsa and LAD's Jeni, both in yellow gold. Good to know about the girdle concerns, thanks so much.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This last one you linked - very pretty, like a rotating compass. For all old cuts, you have to see it in person. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results