shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy See if you can make him an icy smoothie...He may not be able to suck through a straw but can eat it with a spoon. Maybe you can get him some Ensure or other protein shakes and freeze it a bit until it gets slushy. Poor guy..
Can you call the surgeon and ask for better pain meds? If he gets heavy duty ones you have to be careful about getting blocked up..He can take something like Miralax with it. I would call the surgeon. He shouldn’t be in that much pain.

The surgeon gave him codeine #3 ridiculous. I mean it's impossible to get real pain meds. I am exhausted fighting the doctors with every thing. We couldn't get an appointment follow up Tuesday so have to wait now til Thursday and he has no thyroid meds. I emailed my endocrinologist but haven't heard back. Can you tell I am frustrated with our health care in general?

Maybe when it's more comfortable for him to drink but still not able to eat he could drink Ensure or other nutrition drink.

Maybe the doctor can suggest something to soothe the throat?

Thanks @mary poppins. I asked him last night and he said soft foods like ice cream and soup IIRC but Greg is being very stubborn granted he is in lots of pain. I am trying to do what I can but there is only so much I can fight him when he is feeling so bad. I am just letting him rest in bed for now and not nagging him as much as I want to. Drink, drink, please. Oy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just placed an instacart order for ice cream and pudding and rice pudding. So nutritious but if he eats it I will be happy.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just placed an instacart order for ice cream and pudding and rice pudding. So nutritious but if he eats it I will be happy.

Great! Don’t worry about the nutrition. He has good backup. He usually eats well. The calories are good now.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
@missy sorry to hear he is in so much pain everyone gave you great advice I can only add Avoid orange or tomato juice and other acidic foods that can sting the throat.
Hang in there and yes try to get some rest when he is sleeping XO

GK2

Rough_Rock
@missy. I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s awful when you can’t do anything to help.

keeping you and Greg in my thoughts xxx

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@missy i am so sorry about greg's pain & lack of pain meds. He really needs something stronger.
Try to get some rest as well, it's not easy but so important

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - tell him this, please, from someone who has had an intubation go very wrong and who knows his pain....

Drink - it will ease the pain. The less he drinks, the dryer his throat and the more it will hurt. The wetter his throat, the more it will speed up healing, take down the swelling, and keep everything in there nice and wet so things don't stick and become tacky.

Swallowing fluids after a bad intubation *seems* like it would hurt. It doesn't - well, not any more than it hurts anyway. It's the abrasion of the food on your throat that hurts, but fluids bend to the shape of your throat (I know you know this, so I'm just chattin' here...), ergo don't abrade. If he sits up when he drinks - ie has the help of gravity - he also barely needs to use the muscles in his throat, so there's virtually no extra pain. Loooots of fluid will give him positive impact in 24 hours. It's also good for his heart and his kidneys after a general.

Failing that, tell him if he doesn't drink that you're going to take drastic measures. This often works with children... "Don't make me ADDRESS THIS, young man. Don't think I won't take DRASTIC MEASURES if you force my hand." I find, in marriage, it's always possible to reach a point where they're just too tired to fight you, and know you only have their best interests at heart anyway. And failing all else, this normally works -

"Just drink it, dearest. Then I'll shut up, turn off the light, go away, and you can go back to sleep."

<3

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi NIRDI‘s.
@missy I hate to hear Greg is in so much pain. I hope he will eat something. Mega dust and big hugs coming to both of you.

Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy - tell him this, please, from someone who has had an intubation go very wrong and who knows his pain....

Drink - it will ease the pain. The less he drinks, the dryer his throat and the more it will hurt. The wetter his throat, the more it will speed up healing, take down the swelling, and keep everything in there nice and wet so things don't stick and become tacky.

Swallowing fluids after a bad intubation *seems* like it would hurt. It doesn't - well, not any more than it hurts anyway. It's the abrasion of the food on your throat that hurts, but fluids bend to the shape of your throat (I know you know this, so I'm just chattin' here...), ergo don't abrade. If he sits up when he drinks - ie has the help of gravity - he also barely needs to use the muscles in his throat, so there's virtually no extra pain. Loooots of fluid will give him positive impact in 24 hours. It's also good for his heart and his kidneys after a general.

Failing that, tell him if he doesn't drink that you're going to take drastic measures. This often works with children... "Don't make me ADDRESS THIS, young man. Don't think I won't take DRASTIC MEASURES if you force my hand." I find, in marriage, it's always possible to reach a point where they're just too tired to fight you, and know you only have their best interests at heart anyway. And failing all else, this normally works -

"Just drink it, dearest. Then I'll shut up, turn off the light, go away, and you can go back to sleep."

<3

Thank you @mrs-b I read part of your post to greg and he agrees it makes sense. He took some water. It is horrible seeing him in so much pain. I’m so sorry you went through awful intubation pain too. :(
(((Hugs))).

Hi NIRDI‘s.
@missy I hate to hear Greg is in so much pain. I hope he will eat something. Mega dust and big hugs coming to both of you.

Marcy

Thanks Marcy.
Hugs.

@missy i am so sorry about greg's pain & lack of pain meds. He really needs something stronger.
Try to get some rest as well, it's not easy but so important

Thanks @Polabowla. We have some left over oxy and he took one. Not sure if it’s helping his throat pain but it’s worth a try.

@missy. I’m so sorry you are going through this. It’s awful when you can’t do anything to help.

keeping you and Greg in my thoughts xxx

Thank you @GK2. How are you doing? How is your DH? I hope things are going well. Gentle hugs.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @mrs-b I read part of your post to greg and he agrees it makes sense. He took some water. It is horrible seeing him in so much pain. I’m so sorry you went through awful intubation pain too. :(
(((Hugs))).

I've had a bunch of surgeries, as you know, but the bad intubation was from 18 years ago. They kind of 'missed' - and punctured a vein / artery (they would never tell me which, exactly, but I'm guessing artery just because of the way it played out). I developed a hematoma immediately on the table which blocked my airways and I started to take blood into my lungs. Suffice to say, they had to make a small incision in the side of my throat externally to try to drain it...which didn't work. So then they slit my throat from the underside of my chin to half way down my neck to drain it. That worked, but I ended up in ICU for a while. It left me with weird 'pleating' of my skin where the scar / incision ends from where the skin was pulled together. Bit of a mess, really.

Man, did they ever not want to talk about THAT!

Here's a couple of photos of how it looks now, just because it was an interesting thing.

Firstly, the scar....

20210114_181147.jpg

Then the strange puckering....

20210114_181214.jpg

I have virtually no wrinkles anywhere else - but on my neck, it looks like I have chicken neck! So unfair! Ah well! Turtlenecks are my friend, and I live in Boston, so I get to wear them a large percentage of the year. So, every cloud.... :roll2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

A slurpee would be great but I know you might not have access to it. Ice chips and semi frozen Gatorade. Clear beef or chicken broth. It is best to Greg start on clear fluids and advance to full fluids--as he can tolerate it. Many fresh post op patient can't handle the creamy consistency of pudding, etc, until they can tolerate swallowing clear stuff (popsicles, jello, etc.) And you don't want to induce nausea/vomiting. (Gelato might be once he can tolerate clear fluids). And of course protein drinks are gross at the best of time--and mouths need to be cleaned with any cream/protein/sugary product.

Anyway, I am posting after work, where you might be beyond the clear fluid stage. I know you don't want to nag but even having ice chips amounts to something for fluids and to keep the mucosa wet.

I am rooting for you both!

kind regards--Sharon

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

<3

This makes a lot of sense @missy...If his throat is dry I think it would make it harder to heal...

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about the terrible pain Greg is in! And shame on those Drs for not prescribing a stronger pain medication. Shame. Shame. Shame. :angryfire:
I do hope he is able to take some water, soup, ice cream, pudding, or whatever he can. I remember eating a lot of soup after my neck surgery.
It does take time but there is no excuse for the lack of proper medication. I would call them!
Sending continued hugs, love and good wishes to you both!! ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b @canuk-gal @Slick1 @MamaBee

Sharon I appreciate you chiming in with your professional expertise. Thank you. Makes sense. Rich foods can wait. Clear liquids are best right now.

The surgeon just called to find out how Greg’s doing and I told him what’s happening and he said the same thing we all have been saying.

He has to drink and by tomorrow he has to eat protein like scrambled eggs. The surgeon repeated everything we said here. Ice chips. Popsicles. Gargle with salt water. I put him on speaker so Greg could hear.

Greg still can’t really even drink water. He takes a sip at my persistent insistence but he’s going to be dehydrated very soon.

I’m concerned because this is not Greg’s MO. At all. I am witnessing his extreme pain when he drinks and it’s breaking my heart. I hope he can drink more because that’s the only way he can begin to heal.

@mrs-b I’m sorry about how badly the surgeon messed up re your neck. But it doesn’t take away your beauty. ❤️

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Right now I feel like this.

neverchildless.jpg

:lol:

Greg will be fine, he’ll drink water long before he passes out from dehydration. Promise ;-) Men can be big babies sometimes...

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Thinking about you @missy and hoping Greg is eating and drinking anything. Maybe some diluted apple juice, italian ice, slurpees, iced coffee, Ensure clear nutrition drink? Really hoping he drinks and eats today. I know Nurse Missy is taking good care of the patient! Hang in there girl you're doing great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thinking about you @missy and hoping Greg is eating and drinking anything. Maybe some diluted apple juice, italian ice, slurpees, iced coffee, Ensure clear nutrition drink? Really hoping he drinks and eats today. I know Nurse Missy is taking good care of the patient! Hang in there girl you're doing great!

Thank you @bling_dream19 we are at dermatologist now. Waiting for Greg to be seen. Then off to market to get eggs and hopefully he can eat something.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B4452B6A-9E29-44BB-917B-FC632A472079.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As @MamaBee said, he does look good @missy !! Hoping he can eat and drink some today. Every day will be better but I do remember that for the first few days the swelling increases and then goes down. Hoping he is on the other side of the mountain now and smooth sailing from here on!! :pray: ❤️

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello lovelies

I really hope that Greg’s pain has diminished somewhat today, and that he’s managing to drink. As the others have said, fluids are more important than food at the moment. He looks pretty good in the photo, but of course, I’m sure he’s putting on a brave face. Hopefully with each passing day, he’ll start to feel better. I hope you’re taking care of yourself too, and making sure you’re keeping your strength up.

Ugh @mrs-b what an awful experience to have gone through, thank goodness you survived to tell the tale. My friends husband had a similar type of experience with an endsoscopy, they perforated his oesophagus, and almost killed him.

Beautiful photo @Scandinavian. I hope all is well with you and your family.

@Slick1 I hope you‘re keeping well now and staying safe.

Adam had a DNA test done on Bertie, and guess what, he’s a super mutt! The ultimate Bitsa :lol:

AFA9D744-3EC7-469F-BFD0-B2878F55F645.jpeg

We had a walk through of the house yesterday with our realtor Julie, and it’s off the list now. Honestly, wouldn’t you do whatever you could to make your home presentable? The second ground floor bedroom was filled top to bottom with junk, the master en-suite was filthy, and the kitchen, on closer inspection would’ve been a gut job. Still, it was well worth seeing so we could eliminate it.

Our Govt are now saying they’re going to be doing 24/7 vaccinations as soon as it’s logistically possible, so hopefully not too much longer to wait :pray:

I hope all the lovely NIRDIs are keeping safe and well as we head in to another weekend of staying in and staying safe.

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GM girls! Happy FriYay!

@Scandinavian beautiful photos. ❤️

@MamaBee @Slick1 thanks. He’s in a bit less pain. Drank some water. No food yet. Later I hope.

@Slick1 how did your appointment go today? Thinking of you.

@MamaBee looks like I’m with you today and getting all my exercise indoors. Oh well. Super windy here. Cold NE from the ocean.

@Austina woohoo part Boxer. I grew up with a Boxer. Best disposition. Glad you crossed it off the list. Onward and forward. Greg is feeling a bit better. He hasn’t eaten anything yet but he’s had some water. I got eggs for him so later hopefully he’ll try eating that. I also picked up popsicles for him.

@mrs-b hope yoga was fun last night. I’m impressed. I have zero energy by that time of day. Hope today’s a good day.

Hey @MMtwo how are you?

Hi @bling_dream19 its FriYay! Weekend is almost here and hope you have fun plans to look forward to.

Hi to everyone else. Dermatologist hopefully got the rest of the severely atypical mole. Biopsy results of that in about 2 weeks. Thyroid and parathyroid biopsy results no clue when that will come. Lots of waiting and hoping for good news.

I finished all my vacuuming and cleaning and weight workout. Now doing elliptical and the patient is at his computer working but with my strict instructions not to overdo.

That's all. Exciting update lol.

7DBE7906-7884-46AF-A293-CE39913CC9FA.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo!!!! Greg just ate 3 eggs and pudding!!!!

I have never been so excited about him eating eggs and pudding as I am right now. :appl: :appl::appl:

:bigsmile:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never been so excited about him eating eggs and pudding as I am right now. :appl: :appl::appl:

This is awesome. How did he cope with the dermo appt? I've never heard of someone going out to an appt after a major surgery the day before! He must be exhausted!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is awesome. How did he cope with the dermo appt? I've never heard of someone going out to an appt after a major surgery the day before! He must be exhausted!

Thanks @mrs-b It was ridiculous.

I asked the dermatologist to please remove it this past Tuesday when the office called saying the biopsy showed it needed to come out fully. Which he should have done at the initial biopsy like our NYU dermatologists do with all biopsies. Beyond the borders by 2cm.

But this dermatologist despite being experienced with melanoma surgeries didn’t do that with the initial biopsy. I was furious on Tuesday so much so that the tech put him on the phone with me. This dermatologist never gets on the phone. I told the tech I’d hunt him down should anything happen to my dh because he didn’t take it all in a timely fashion. Needless to say the dermatologist decided it would be best to talk with me. But still he wouldn’t see him that day. So today it was.

The NYU dermatologist called me immediately Tuesday when I messaged him about this and he said yes come in whenever we want to get it fully removed. But it’s just an exhausting trip in twice next week since we have to see the surgeon at Lenox hill. So we decided to have this dermatologist finish what he started and hopefully after Greg is feeling stronger we will see Dr P at NYU.

Greg is followed regularly by 2 excellent NYU dermatologists Dr P and Dr C but Covid makes everything more challenging. And being at the beach house.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. :) Thanks for asking.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

I'm just fine! I am going nuts on a report deadline today. I keep peeking in on you to see how you and Greg are doing. I am so happy for the fact he has eaten something . I know you have been super worried. He is going to be okay

Tough guys just struggle when they feel weak. This probably holds true for tough folk in general.

He does look very good for someone who has just been through hell and back. Sending happy thoughts and hugs through the interwebs!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phew, so relieve to hear Greg has managed to eat @missy, and oy that he had another medical appointment today.

I have a little bit of exciting news to share with you all, Adam and Kim are getting married on the 31st!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results