shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I hope your parents stay safe..Hopefully they are staying inside their home..Can you and Greg go to the beach house in case it gets bad?

There are a few cases at the beach town next to ours so....and I don't have my Pilates Reformer there either so am reluctant to not to any strength training now given my latest diagnosis. Ugh it's not an easy decision. Plus the new kitty and bringing her to the beach before we get it entirely RW free is scary too. Joanne there are no good answers here. Guess we all have to do the best we can and remain calm no matter what. Because everything is better when we all remain calm. Sending you hugs and good thoughts and we will get through this.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly believe this was done because of the financial impact of keeping people home. I can’t come up with any other reason. It makes no sense to me.

Yeah that makes sense (as in no sense I agree!). But I guess the idealist in me thinks that is not the best way to do things. And health should trump (ugh hate that word now!) all else and the government has to help people who cannot go to work. In an ideal world we should all choose health over financial matters. Ugh this is not sitting well with me.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Jimmianne I think the same way...I have a lunch date with two friends next week at a restaurant. We stopped going out every weekend. My husband said I shouldn’t go to the lunch....He’s out in Ohio now..He drove eight hours on Monday to avoid flying..He's driving back here on Thursday. I’m tempted to tell him to strip off all his clothes when he gets in the laundry room and throw them in the washing machine. I just don’t want him to get a mixed message because I’m exhausted! Hahahahahaha!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You’re right @missy...I’m taking it one day at a time...If it does get bad I think I will go hibernate in Maryland..

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne I think the same way...I have a lunch date with two friends next week at a restaurant. We stopped going out every weekend. My husband said I shouldn’t go to the lunch....He’s out in Ohio now..He drove eight hours in Monday to avoid flying..He's driving back here on Thursday. I’m tempted to tell him to strip off all his clothes when he gets in the laundry room and throw them in the washing machine. I just don’t want him to get a mixed message because I’m exhausted! Hahahahahaha!

:lol-2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re right @missy...I’m taking it one day at a time...If it does get bad I think I will go hibernate in Maryland..

I think we will all go to my sister's house because her DH is very well prepared for catastrophes. He is in his element as he loves taking care of everything during emergency situations.

JK about going there though. Talk about a crowded house. With all their animals in a tiny house...

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Just for info...I am usually grossed out pumping gas using the handle of the hose. Those things never get sanitized..Can you imagine the germs on them? Yuck! I now keep disposable gloves in my car to use when I pump the gas..

You need to move back to New Jersey so you will not pump your own gas! ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to move back to New Jersey so you will not pump your own gas! ;)2

haha that is something I love about NJ. Very civilized and all the gas attendants are so pleasant too. #gardenstate #friendly

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just for info...I am usually grossed out pumping gas using the handle of the hose. Those things never get sanitized..Can you imagine the germs on them? Yuck! I now keep disposable gloves in my car to use when I pump the gas..

I thought I was the only one who skeeves the gas pump. I keep napkins in my car and cover the handle with it while pumping then throw it away before getting in the car. Keypad I use my knuckles. Ugh they are so gross!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very close to the quarantined "cluster" of cases to which Governor Cuomo of New York sent the National Guard yesterday. I believe that 108 cases of the virus were reported within the town of New Rochelle, making it the biggest "cluster" in the country. I am in Connecticut, but often I have the same weather as gemgirl who is across Long island Sound from me. :))

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am very close to the quarantined "cluster" of cases to which Governor Cuomo of New York sent the National Guard yesterday. I believe that 108 cases of the virus were reported within the town of New Rochelle, making it the biggest "cluster" in the country. I am in Connecticut, but often I have the same weather as gemgirl who is across Long island Sound from me. :))
We need an unlike option @AGBF...Stay indoors as much as possible. I know your daughter’s fiancé exposes you somewhat. Insist he wash his hands and follow behind him with Lysol wipes until he does.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully this will help some folk feel better. I do think part of the concern has been lack of information and limited ability to test for covid. I predict that as testing is more available we will find out that it’s more widespread than we thought and also (by extension) less deadly. The US has had high seeming mortality rates in part to limited availability of tests and selection bias (ie we were only testing people with significant symptoms, and if you already have significant symptoms then you’re already pretty sick).

So bad news: it might be more contagious and wide spread than we thought.

Good news: that also means it’s less deadly than we thought.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There were 8 additional cases confirmed this morning in Florida

I'm not really allowed to discuss the details of the meeting I had yesterday But Imma tell y'all a little story as to the gist of this meeting;

It was a secondary contact that was in DC. Persona A came in close contact with someone at a high level event that had COVID-19, which is Person 0. This person had been to a hotspot and went to this event anyway (no this is not in NJ!).

Person A is now sick. This person knows Person B and C, saw them in person on more than one occassion prior to becoming sick.

Person C found out Person A was sick a couple of days later. Person C has since been to work for 2 days. When Person C found out they were told to stay at home and monitor.

Basically Person C put the entire building at risk, though not knowingly. Person C is not ill at this time and is also not at work Person B is also not sick. And Person B works in a totally different building.

At this time neither building is closed, however people are told to monitor themselves. Leadership is emphatic that Person C is NEGATIVE for Coronavirus.

The people that I work with closely are in the same building as Person C. The reason why I was pulled into this meeting.

No, they're not testing everyone. just telling folks to monitor. its because of this that there is going to be a lot of community spread.

@MakingTheGrade I read on John Hopkins website that suggests that this thing is airborne, and if so, most of us will indeed catch it but as you said, mortality rate will not be as high.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
@Jimmianne I I’m tempted to tell him to strip off all his clothes when he gets in the laundry room and throw them in the washing machine. I just don’t want him to get a mixed message because I’m exhausted! Hahahahahaha!

Did this to DH. He flew over the weekend so I told him to strip down in the laundry room and leave his luggage in the basement. Definitely not sexy. I had spray and wipes in there.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did this to DH. He flew over the weekend so I told him to strip down in the laundry room and leave his luggage in the basement. Definitely not sexy. I had spray and wipes in there.

That’s hysterical!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOLA is up to 6, all at different hospitals. Mardi Gras was in the 2 week window. o_O

Plus one who attended a conference here and possibly infected up to 1,000 people (journalism conference).

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m frustrated with my family. My parents are currently in Florida and only today agreed to stop going to the mall. My sister is going to Disney next week and then staying with my parents for a week.

My brother in law is a scientist and he’s not happy about it. My sister is saying she’s going with or without him so he’d rather go and be there if there’s a problem.

My parents said they will leave this week if my sister agrees to cancel, but only as a favour to me.

The issue is that my parents drive to Florida from Canada so that could have logistical challenges in a few weeks. Also they’re not getting extra medication and all of the things that are recommended. I would rather they go home now and get their healthcare in order (my mom recently underwent cancer treatment and she’s still on a maintenance plan).

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As a clinician working around a lot of other clinicians, we are all being vigilant but overall calm. I work for a large metropolitan health system, and we have great medical technology to support patients, even ones that are critically ill, so long as they can get to us. I think a lot of the unease around answering questions is because we don't have answers, and we are trying to walk the fine line between offering reassurance but not sounding so reassuring that people don't take things seriously. It's hard to say "this is serious! but don't panic" and many of us are erring on putting out the "this is serious" message because better that people be over vigilant that overly cavalier.

But around our own water coolers in the hospitals, folk seem to feel like things are going to be ok. Just my two cents.

It sounds like you're taking great precautions. I'd recommend making sure you guys have good supplies of necessary medications and glucometers just in case there is supply chain disruption.

Hi, I’m hoping for your health and thank you for your service. I’m curious which Metro Area you are in. I’ve heard that the Nurses Union in CA is concerned and reaching out to say that staff doesn’t have adequate protective gear; Northern California nurses registering alarm that one Coronavirus patient exposed 200 healthcare workers in two hospitals triggering quarantines (Vacaville Hospital and UCDavis), etc. so I wonder where in the country healthcare workers are adequately prepared. This is not a rebuttal, just a sincere question.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it makes you feel any better, I just got off an extreme long haul flight. By some random chance (delays plus more delays) I ended up boarding the plane second and being seated right at the front of the first cabin everyone walks through. I groaned and settled in waiting for everyone else to board. Almost no one boarded. After 20 minutes it became apparent we were going to fly 17.5 hours in a cabin all by ourselves. The flight was pretty empty, I think I had 2-3 dedicated stewardesses.

They had cancled my flights home once already -- not enough people to run the service so they folded several routes and flights together. Then the american airlines had stopper flying the route. So really this was the only people they could find who wanted to fly San Francisco--> Singapore today.

The airport was pretty empty too. I had been surprised by how spacious the lounge was -- with a complete empty room all to ourselves. Now I guess it makes sense.

I am not sure how much more dangerous the airports are any longer. Other than security we barely interacted with anyone.

Thanks for the info. I think Singapore is a good place to be as they seem to have the c
My county has moved from containment to mitigation. This means that they no longer recommend that someone be quarantined if they have come in contact with a person who has tested positive for Coronavirus. Now, we are being asked to stay home if we feel sick and quarantine if we test positive. :((

I find that absurd. Why not at least ‘try’? Sacramento said that yesterday but that’s giving up in my book. I’m so upset with our leaders in California.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A resident of my city, a cancer doctor recently returned from Hawaii, has tested positive. She had been at work and was tested. Got the positive result the next day. I hope none of her patients will be affected.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, I’m hoping for your health and thank you for your service. I’m curious which Metro Area you are in. I’ve heard that the Nurses Union in CA is concerned and reaching out to say that staff doesn’t have adequate protective gear; Northern California nurses registering alarm that one Coronavirus patient exposed 200 healthcare workers in two hospitals triggering quarantines (Vacaville Hospital and UCDavis), etc. so I wonder where in the country healthcare workers are adequately prepared. This is not a rebuttal, just a sincere question.

Philly area.
We are well resourced. Although we did have to remove masks from patient rooms in the ED as families were just taking handfuls of them :(

voce

Ideal_Rock

When I got gas at Costco on Sunday, the attendant was wiping down the pumps and the gas pump screens after every use. Definitely an advantage besides the low prices. This made me feel a bit more assured that that's not how I'll be getting the virus.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@TooPatient I remember when I worked in operating theatres feeling quite claustrophobic wearing a mask. Luckily I worked in the post anaesthetic area so didn't need to wear it all the time.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient I remember when I worked in operating theatres feeling quite claustrophobic wearing a mask. Luckily I worked in the post anaesthetic area so didn't need to wear it all the time.

I absolutely hate wearing a mask. I avoid it when possible. Talk about motivation to be sick for 10 days before going in to see a Dr :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results