shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breaking news, WHO has just declared coronavirus a pandemic.

Didn't they do that a couple of weeks ago? I thought that is what caused issues for some people getting refunds on vacation stuff?

Edit: nevermind! That was the CDC a couple of weeks ago.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@chemgirl , indoor or outdoor mall? outdoor might be ok as long as they keep distance away from other people. indoor...I won't go to an indoor mall right now. but outdoor ones you can put plenty of room between people.

Are they snowbirds? I ask because I'm hoping they're aware that their non us insurance is worth nil down here. They would be able to negotiate urgent care, but would have to pay out of pocket These tend to be very up front on the costs. (there's lots of urgent care places here that will do flu testing, as of right now coronavirus testing is only done at hospitals)

There's a large snowbird population down here...lots of canadians, so will let you know what I learn.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The worst has come to be in Italy. Doctors received triage instructions. Those who are likely to survive get intensive treatment; others do not regardless of whether they have covid-19. My heart hurts for the doctors and those who will be chosen to die.

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @missy for posting the image for @Mamabean. Missy, how did you get the image to post like that? I tried to get it to post like that initially, but it wouldn't. Maybe I should've done a screen shot of the PDF to post instead? IDK....I can only get so far with technology. And Joanne, hope you are doing well! And Missy, how is your newest family member doing? I need to get over to the NIRDI thread to catch up....

We now have the virus in our state as of late last night. I've begun ordering groceries for pickup so I can avoid the stores. Trying to decide how much of my social activities I cut. Decided not to go to the pool for swims beginning last week, will continue with my trainer & replace the swims with home workouts. Don't want to panic but need to be vigilant & smart about things.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
A resident of my city, a cancer doctor recently returned from Hawaii, has tested positive. She had been at work and was tested. Got the positive result the next day. I hope none of her patients will be affected.

Howdy neighbour

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The worst has come to be in Italy. Doctors received triage instructions. Those who are likely to survive get intensive treatment; others do not regardless of whether they have covid-19. My heart hurts for the doctors and those who will be chosen to die.

:cry2::cry2::cry2:

I have no words. Just tears for all involved. Doctors and patients alike.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

This is one of my biggest concerns with being over 60...I feel so bad for them..OMG

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if this has been recommended before on this thread, but Dr John Campbell is a really fabulous British doctor and medical educator who puts 1-2 roughly 30 min videos on youtube per day. He's extremely knowledgable, honest but not alarmist and gives a ton of information. I highly recommend following him.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg

His link was posted here previously and it is good to see that others are aware of him. I watch his updates daily - he's an excellent communicator and avoids the sin of clickbait.

Last edited:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I wasn't but now I am. I am a professor at a University (East Coast USA), and we've just been informed that we can teach through the week, but by next week we need to move our courses online. I teach public speaking. This is going to be interesting :lol-2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not had time to read all the responses yet but I thought I’d update anyway. I am about 1/2 an hour from New Rochelle, New York where the national guard was sent for containment. My school and the other districts around us are preparing to close.
The 50 yo lawyer who started the spread just North of NYC apparently is now in a coma. His wife and children are testing positive, yet are not especially unwell like he is.
It’s getting real here. My students are walking around with their faces tucked into their shirt collars and refusing to touch anything. I work with special education children but it’s not limited to them. Poor kids to have live in fear... :(
Off to plan for possibly a couple of weeks of remote learning.
Stay well all!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have not had time to read all the responses yet but I thought I’d update anyway. I am about 1/2 an hour from New Rochelle, New York where the national guard was sent for containment. My school and the other districts around us are preparing to close.
The 50 yo lawyer who started the spread just North of NYC apparently is now in a coma. His wife and children are positive, yet not very unwell like he is.
It’s getting real here. My students are walking get around with their faces tucked into their shirt collars and refusing to touch anything. I work with special education children but it’s not limited to them. Poor kids to live in fear... :(
Off to plan for possibly a couple of weeks of remote learning.
Stay well all!

:cry2: Stay safe friend..❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock
1583954394840.png
This is not such a great incentive to have for using my credit card more. Win a trip to an event that could well be cancelled? Hmm...

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm gutted about the news from Italy. I'm officially staying home starting today. Not going out unless I have to. We still have my DH and daughter travelling and commuting, so it's not good, but at least I can limit my direct exposure to any other people. I think it's the right thing to do if you can.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too late to edit my previous post...
Incidentally, there is no testing happening in my town or surrounding towns. Local Dr offices are telling people to go home and call the health dept as they have no tests available. :x2
I thought there were now “enough tests for everyone.” And that “they were beautiful tests” too according to our President. :wall:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not taking the WHO test kits allowed the virus to spread in the US. If we are overwhelmed as Italy is we have the Trump administration to blame. We could have contained this if we had tried to identify where it really was at the start, not pretend it wasn't here.

We need hospital beds; medical staff; and ventilators to help the sick get well. We will not be ready. We will not know what hit us.

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
Offering prayers for all who are suffering in any way, because of COVID19.
We have 2 confirmed cases of Corona Virus, in our state of Hawaii, with many self-monitoring and self-quarantining.
Our state economy is built on tourism.
According to a medical professional, Corona Virus has been incubating in our state for weeks, more likely months.
I am a three year post chemotherapy and radiation treatment, cancer survivor. I am immunocompromised, so am self-isolating. I have no data from which to extrapolate how long I will need to be in isolation.
Through the end of the year? Beyond?
As of yesterday, my doctor has no test kits, and does not know when they will become available.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WA updates:

Public events of 250+ cancelled by order of the governor. All public schools told to prepare for the increasing probability of needing to close. More information to come later.

King County (plus a few more counties, I didn't see the complete list:
By order of the county health officials.
Gatherings under 250+ cancelled unless organizer takes steps to reduce danger of exposure. All schools ordered to prepare for likely mandatory shut downs of weeks to months. More information to follow concerning retail stores, private events, etc and how to be in compliance with the orders.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slick1 if we both survive this epidemic we should get together. We have to be almost within walking distance...well a short car ride...of each other.

AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take good care, MissCygne. Prayers and good thoughts being sent to you.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. I’m not happy about a lot of things..

My coworker sent me this today, made me smile. I feel like a gladiator!
326840AC-E4B4-4EE6-B947-CA3FA6D165C5.jpeg

Oh man, that IS really good!

But yes, you guys ARE like gladiators !
Thank you! !!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm gutted about the news from Italy. I'm officially staying home starting today. Not going out unless I have to. We still have my DH and daughter travelling and commuting, so it's not good, but at least I can limit my direct exposure to any other people. I think it's the right thing to do if you can.

@lyra I stayed home as much as I could but I had two dentist appointments this week...I usually shop every day for groceries..We did a bunch on the way back from our other house on Sunday so I wouldn’t have to go every day...I’ve been inside most of the time except for necessary trips. I had to pick up my dog on Monday from his hotel. Thursday I have to be out to pick up meds for my dog...I have to also pick up my son from an after work program on Thursday. I plan on doing more grocery shopping near where I have up pick my son on Thursday...to bring to my other house in Maryland for this weekend. My bank is also in there so will deposit a check. That will be a lot of mingling on that day...but so far nothing is in that area...It‘s a gamble..You don’t realize how much exposure you get with people on a daily basis. I’m going to try ordering more from Amazon and Instacart.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MissCygne

Rough_Rock
In hopes that the information may be of help to someone, our Costcos on Oahu are limiting purchases of gloves, toilet tissue, Kleenex, Clorox wipes, paper towels, and napkins. Alcohol has been sold out throughout the island since last week.
Canned food and water have been sold out periodically, and restocked, but in small quantities.
Our family is stocking up on everything that we can, as most of our goods are imported.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Slick1 Hey Slick! thank you so very much for your updates, they help me immensely as you know, my son lives in Brooklyn and I worry and he's worried about us.

Good luck preparing, what a clu--erf--- you know! take care of you and the kids and hubster!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results