carat
color
clarity

Are you worried about the Coronavirus?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi House Cat,
I have come out of lurkdom to share my feelings regarding your concern over your husband. My son, who is 19, has had type 1 diabetes since he was just starting junior high. He is insulin and pump dependent. And ironically, a year after my son was diagnosed, my very best friend was diagnosed with adult latent onset type 1, who is also pump dependent. I have "lived" diabetes for a long time and at this moment, I am just trying to take it day by day. My son lives in Colorado, and I have already been messaging him to practice face and hand hygiene almost daily. Over the years, he has had the flu, colds, and a host of other viruses that typically go around. I can't say that I am not nervous, because I am. BUT- I am trying to take it a day at a time. I know he's nervous, but we have been through enough cold's and viruses over the years that we know EXACTLY what to do, and in the event we can't get his sugar under control we know to get medical attention. The best thing is to stay in contact with your husbands endocrinologist ( I am assuming he has one, or an internal medicine dr?) and heed his advice the best you can. I realize there is certainly an age difference between your husband and my son, but the best thing to do is continue to take the simple but effective measures with face and hand hygiene and if it gets bad in your area, to stay in. Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your response. I’m sorry that you have to live in fear for your son and best friend. Thank you for reassuring me that face and hand hygiene is an effective measure against illness for diabetics. We are new to this. My husband was just diagnosed this summer and he’s never had any kind of illness yet. That’s why we met with his doctor to talk to him about what to do in case he got this illness.

We are working on strategies to have him stay in, but he has to work. Hopefully, his employer will have the good sense to have people work from home.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nm

Last edited:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
This is reassuring. Are you guys worried about filling up hospital beds?

I’m curious about this too.

This is what we’re freaking out a bit about here. We have great healthcare, but we don’t have a lot of extra beds at the best of times.

There are projections that 35-70% of the population could get the virus. If even 5% need medical assistance we would be far beyond capacity. It could have a ripple effect and prevent people from being treated for other illnesses.

At least that’s what I’m hearing

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure you all will see this.

Family of Missouri Woman with Coronavirus Broke Quarantine to Attend School Dance

Community spread because people don't think quarantine applies to them....

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure you all will see this.

Family of Missouri Woman with Coronavirus Broke Quarantine to Attend School Dance

Community spread because people don't think quarantine applies to them....

Wow. Unbelievable. This is where others sense of entitlement is dangerous. Unconscionable. :x2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Unbelievable. This is where others sense of entitlement is dangerous. Unconscionable. :x2

I was just going to say they have a sense of entitlement....I can’t even describe how mad and frustrated this makes me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is what we’re freaking out a bit about here. We have great healthcare, but we don’t have a lot of extra beds at the best of times.

There are projections that 35-70% of the population could get the virus. If even 5% need medical assistance we would be far beyond capacity. It could have a ripple effect and prevent people from being treated for other illnesses.

It’s definitely something we have on our radar and are actively planning for. We aren’t “freaking out” though. I think it helps that we are on the end of our “busy” season from winter colds/flu etc. This would have been much more anxiety provoking if it were happening in early January. But we’re heading into mid March with warmer weather so our capacity is generally only going to get better from non-covid things.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could be both concerning and comforting. On one hand, it sounds incredibly minor for most people. That just happens to make spreading it to others really easy.

"For Dr. Miryam Carecchio ... discovering she was infected, came as a shock. 'I had no fever, no cold, no sore throat, and I had no major issues.' ... did experience some muscle pain in February, she said, so she took some Tylenol, called in sick and was back to work the following day."

"Everyone I have spoken with - and it has been many - who have picked up the virus, they seem to have similar symptoms. About equal to a very, very minor cold"

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s definitely something we have on our radar and are actively planning for. We aren’t “freaking out” though. I think it helps that we are on the end of our “busy” season from winter colds/flu etc. This would have been much more anxiety provoking if it were happening in early January. But we’re heading into mid March with warmer weather so our capacity is generally only going to get better from non-covid things.

Your posts are very reassuring @MakingTheGrade...It makes sense it would have been worse at the peak of flu season...Keep your thoughts coming...good or bad..

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Seriously!?!?

Are you in WA? That is awful!

I'm right in the heart of silicon valley. There was a confirmed case right in my work city. But nope, still no budge. We have a super strict no work from home policy.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm right in the heart of silicon valley. There was a confirmed case right in my work city. But nope, still no budge. We have a super strict no work from home policy.

Hopefully they loosen up in that. Some in Seattle had no WFH until this got going worse. It is more difficult to ignore when the governor, county executive, and medical personnel urge companies to have employees work from home.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0E24B1CD-23F3-4BD1-951E-E584DBB866D1.jpeg

Anything could be a symptom. Sharing this table in case helpful.

Shortness of breath is what sent me to get looked at I was 90% sure it wasn't coronavirus. Ended up being flu so.... chart might be a wee bit off?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting all paranoid because I always have seasonal allergies. My symptoms are itchy eyes and throat, sneezing and nose running (also sometimes headache). Which makes it less likely that it is corona. My daughter did have a cold: stuffed up nose also coughing but no fever or other major symptoms. Other than staying home all weekend and having her not see her friends we didn't quarantine her. Maybe we should have? At this point too late, and she is over it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm getting all paranoid because I always have seasonal allergies. My symptoms are itchy eyes and throat, sneezing and nose running (also sometimes headache). Which makes it less likely that it is corona. My daughter did have a cold: stuffed up nose also coughing but no fever or other major symptoms. In retrospect other than staying home all weekend and having her not see her friends we didn't quarantine her.

@partygypsy I had a cold last week. Look at the chart that @Arcadian posted above. Sneezing is not one of the symptoms..Itching eyes also point to a cold or allergies...I can understand being nervous...but it sounds like a cold..just like mine was. xxoo

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting all paranoid because I always have seasonal allergies. My symptoms are itchy eyes and throat, sneezing and nose running (also sometimes headache). Which makes it less likely that it is corona. My daughter did have a cold: stuffed up nose also coughing but no fever or other major symptoms. Other than staying home all weekend and having her not see her friends we didn't quarantine her. Maybe we should have? At this point too late, and she is over it.

This is so many people right now! I wish there was more information and guidance on this. The paper I linked above said it can spread for 10 (11?) days after last symptom. Does that mean anyone with a bit of a cold is supposed to stay at home self quarantining for the length of the cold plus 14 days?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Shortness of breath is what sent me to get looked at I was 90% sure it wasn't coronavirus. Ended up being flu so.... chart might be a wee bit off?

The point is that you can have covid-19 with mild symptoms. Or maybe just a common cold/flu. Won’t know until you are tested.

In Singapore we have had many clusters created because of people who were mildly ill, attended a gathering, and spread the virus to dozens more people.

80% of the people who get the virus only become mildly ill. Which is fine for them. But another 20% get more serious symptoms, and depending on what numbers you see, x% can die. So imagine if you attended a gathering because you only had a mild cough, infect 20 other people, and maybe one dies...

So if you are not feeling well, see a doctor. And stay at home. Don’t go out. That’s the message my government to telling us.

The chart is just for reference, and I think to drive home the point that you can have the virus with mild symptoms. I’m not a doctor so am just sharing what seems to be a decent source of info.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you for stating this @chemgirl. This is what mainly has me concerned. The virus has the potential to affect those 60 and older, and people with existing conditions quickly. There are only so many ICU beds and respirators in our hospitals. We are fooling ourselves if we don’t think what we have seen happening in China and Italy could easily happen here.

@House Cat, Many of us who have relatives and friends who are at a higher risk are concerned. I know I am. Please know you are doing all that you can and taking precautions. There is only so much we can control in life. This was true long before anyone heard of COVID19. All we can do is be cautious and prepared and you are doing that. This situation is unsettling especially when it can impact those we love. Hang in there. If you are feeling really stressed please come back here and talk about it if it helps you. Hugs, Callie

@mambean, Its’s understandable that you are concerned with your husband and son traveling. I’m hoping we start hearing of more companies insisting their employees work from home. I read your posts and wish my parents would listen to what my husband and I say once in a while. Please be glad your mom listens to you. My mom finally listened to what someone said on TV Sunday and called me in a panic about all things I have been trying to get her to do for the past two weeks. They didn’t even feel the need to have an extra month of their medications on hand.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@icy_jade I was thinking of you and our other members in Asia knowing you guys were dealing with it a lot earlier than those of us in the US and other places. Glad to see you and hear you're well.

the infomatic charts are always interesting to me. But yes any symptom not in the ordinary warrants a Dr visit these days. Anyone with lung disease kinda skews infomatics (I know I do...lol) We're still in the middle of flu season here, and allergy season is right around the corner for many. My neighbor was telling me that the docs that used to poo poo patients for coming in for "minor stuff" aren't doing that anymore.

Things that make you go hmmm....

Anyway biggiest issue in the US is that you have people that feel quarantine dosen't apply to them, they feel fine even though they've been told to stay home and monitor so...there you go.

If they make that a legal lockdown folks would try to sue (I think there's a couple suing a cruiseship right now...)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for stating this @chemgirl. This is what mainly has me concerned. The virus has the potential to affect those 60 and older, and people with existing conditions quickly. There are only so many ICU beds and respirators in our hospitals. We are fooling ourselves if we don’t think what we have seen happening in China and Italy could easily happen here.

@House Cat, Many of us who have relatives and friends who are at a higher risk are concerned. I know I am. Please know you are doing all that you can and taking precautions. There is only so much we can control in life. This was true long before anyone heard of COVID19. All we can do is be cautious and prepared and you are doing that. This situation is unsettling especially when it can impact those we love. Hang in there. If you are feeling really stressed please come back here and talk about it if it helps you. Hugs, Callie

@mambean, Its’s understandable that you are concerned with your husband and son traveling. I’m hoping we start hearing of more companies insisting their employees work from home. I read your posts and wish my parents would listen to what my husband and I say once in a while. Please be glad your mom listens to you. My mom finally listened to what someone said on TV Sunday and called me in a panic about all things I have been trying to get her to do for the past two weeks. They didn’t even feel the need to have an extra month of their medications on hand.

@callicake I’m so happy your mom is listening to you now. My mom only listens to me because she lives with me. Otherwise, she would be doing all the things she should avoid right now.
My husband is not in a position to work at home. It’s just not the kind of job that works that way. Unless he retires..he can’t stop working. It’s pretty frustrating...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Received this from my Aunt, who taught Nursing & said: handwashing was actually a skill we taught. She also said when you rinse, rinse your hand facing down so the water runs away from you.

Hand washing 101

Attachments

• Handwashing 101.pdf
    671.9 KB · Views: 41

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What about hourly employees in the retail and service industries? There is no such thing as working from home for them. Everyone taking reasonable precautions and staying home will probably cost many of them their jobs. It is heartbreaking.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NOLA has 3 now and governor expects more in coming days.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Florida is being pretty open about what is going on these days:

At the end you get to see what county, the age, sex, and if they traveled.

Now if only they start tested everyone, thats end goal.

@whitewave how many labs in Louisiana are testing? there's only 3 for Florida.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about hourly employees in the retail and service industries? There is no such thing as working from home for them. Everyone taking reasonable precautions and staying home will probably cost many of them their jobs. It is heartbreaking.

They will be hit so hard! Microsoft and Amazon are continuing to pay full pay to all of their employee and contractors who are hourly but not able to work due to work from home requirements. Starbucks is doing the same for those who are high risk.

I hope others will do what they can to help employees of smaller companies that can't afford to pay while they have no business.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results